We asked for 442

mr fox

And Robbie played this system hopefully we can play 2 up top most games cause we look most dangerous this way

If Sam and Jamie turned up yesterday we would have won that but all in all very happy with the performance

They kept calling it a 442 yesterday but I didn't see much of that.

We were far more fluid switching through a variety of formations based on the way things were at the time.

In the past it's made us look disjointed and unorganised but yesterday it looked like the players were starting to really get to grips with the style and the second goal aside we looked really balanced.

Work to do but if this is how we plan on playing this season I think the fans will be far happier than the product of last season.

We_are_the_Hearts

We were far more fluid switching through a variety of formations based on the way things were at the time.

In the past it's made us look disjointed and unorganised but yesterday it looked like the players were starting to really get to grips with the style and the second goal aside we looked really balanced.

Work to do but if this is how we plan on playing this season I think the fans will be far happier than the product of last season.

Agreed.

Charlie-Brown

He did. And it worked. He then changed it. We lost.

And were the 2 in anyway linked? Or are you just deliriously linking them to suit your agenda......

He did. And it worked. He then changed it. We lost.

- Sammon was knackered and close to a second booking

- Celtic had made a change to 5 in midfield so it made sense to take Sammon off and add to our midfield

- We continued to created more chances with Gordon needing to pull of some good saves

- Celtic caught us on the break with their new ?3.5m signing having fresh legs having not been on that long and outpaced us

Michael_Jackson

Was the change responsible for their second? No. Were the changes responsible for us not scoring a second? Quite possibly.

My agenda is to see Hearts win and compete for major honours.

At the games Robbie and every single man in maroon has my full backing. Outside of Tynecastle I'm more inclined to use reasoning to base my opinions on rather than blind loyalty.

Robbie has thus far failed overal in big important games. If this trend continues then we will not win anything under Robbie.

It might bore and anger people, but I genuinely believe it. If it turns out my concerns are unwarranted then I won't honestly give a **** as I'll be too busy out celebrating like the fickle football fan that I am.

Think robbies tactics will work with 2 strikers like Watt and Sammon - they put themselves about, work hard to chase stuff down and press a lot.

With Juanma up top it was murder but with these 2, and Muirhead looks like the same, I think it could work well. Teams won't want to play against an attack that consists of Watt, Sammon, Walker and Nicholson.

If Muirhead continues to impress, Johnson is as good as we all hope and we sign another left side midfielder then I think we could be a really decent team.

Kitchen coming back in will help out the defense and if Cowie plays like he did yesterday over the course of a season he'll be a hero.

Yesterday, despite the result, put a lot of faith back in me.

Was the change responsible for their second? No. Were the changes responsible for us not scoring a second? Quite possibly.

At the games Robbie and every single man in maroon has my full backing. Outside of Tynecastle I'm more inclined to use reasoning to base my opinions on rather than blind loyalty.

Robbie has thus far failed overal in big important games. If this trend continues then we will not win anything under Robbie.

It might bore and anger people, but I genuinely believe it. If it turns out my concerns are unwarranted then I won't honestly give a **** as I'll be too busy out celebrating like the fickle football fan that I am.

Spot on!!

Agree to a point. The Sammon for Prince swap in my opinion changed the game. Wrong choice for me.

Other than that I felt we played well. Looked way more organised, first time I've felt we were well drilled since the championship. By well drilled I mean disciplined and structured through the game. Last season when we switched formations etc we looked disjointed.

Big game mid week now.

I think there is something in this to some extent.

But it be must be accepted though that Sammon was flat out (see his touch when put through by Djoum as evidence of this), and he was on a booking.

Very unfortunate admin/legal situation with Johnsen meant we didn't have another striker to bring on once they scored.

Hearts really did continue to push after the sub and both before and after the goal. I think sometimes people get caught up with formations and ignore style of play.

Regardless, we stayed with two up front. Djoum was clearly pushed up front with Muirhead.

Harry Potter

We always knew the 442 formation was the right way to play Celtic.

Well known for years that attack is the 1st form of your defence.

Hope we keep this for the rest of the season.

Unlucky against Celtic with a dodgy ref and one mistake that let in the cross for their 2nd goal.

We are going to destroy a few teams this season,

Look forward to Perth on wednesday. 

We always knew the 442 formation was the right way to play Celtic.

Well known for years that attack is the 1st form of your defence.

Hope we keep this for the rest of the season.

Unlucky against Celtic with a dodgy ref and one mistake that let in the cross for their 2nd goal.

We are going to destroy a few teams this season,

Look forward to Perth on wednesday.

I'm not convinced we can complain about the ref really.

We_are_the_Hearts

Agree to a point. The Sammon for Prince swap in my opinion changed the game. Wrong choice for me.

Other than that I felt we played well. Looked way more organised, first time I've felt we were well drilled since the championship. By well drilled I mean disciplined and structured through the game. Last season when we switched formations etc we looked disjointed.

Big game mid week now.

In what way? It certainly never made us less attacking or we never lost any momentum. We lost a goal from our own corner

Think robbies tactics will work with 2 strikers like Watt and Sammon - they put themselves about, work hard to chase stuff down and press a lot.

With Juanma up top it was murder but with these 2, and Muirhead looks like the same, I think it could work well. Teams won't want to play against an attack that consists of Watt, Sammon, Walker and Nicholson.

If Muirhead continues to impress, Johnson is as good as we all hope and we sign another left side midfielder then I think we could be a really decent team.

Kitchen coming back in will help out the defense and if Cowie plays like he did yesterday over the course of a season he'll be a hero.

Yesterday, despite the result, put a lot of faith back in me.

Excellent analysis Juanma all be it a good finisher hasn't the work ethic or pace

Sammon looked good to me the guy is a Brut

Watt looks very good

Harry Potter

I'm not convinced we can complain about the ref really.

TBF our penalty was a bit iffy which probably cancels out their offside goal, overall though he was shockin.

But nothing new in scotland.

TBF our penalty was a bit iffy which probably cancels out their offside goal, overall though he was shockin.

But nothing new in scotland.

Agreed. The Wheatfield side assistant was absolutely dreadful as well. Mistake after mistake - funnily enough all of them suited Celtic.

The formation was very similar to that used on our trips to Parkhead last season. It's not a 4-4-2 and not a 3-5-2, but appears to be a hybrid of them both.

Only concern I had yesterday was the amount of space Forrest was getting. It was unclear whether Rherras or Nicholson should have been picking him up.

Sam was the only negative for me yesterday he just didn't turn up

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sam was the only negative for me yesterday he just didn't turn up

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm amazed he lasted 90 mins. Never got into the match. Thought Zanatta should have been on for him towards the end.

and here am I thinking we comfortably WON the Championship under Robbie or am I dreaming??????

stirlingshirejambo

I'm amazed he lasted 90 mins. Never got into the match. Thought Zanatta should have been on for him towards the end.

I felt for him having chased a fresh and fast Sinclair from box to box just came up short

Great attitude considering things hadn't gone his way in the game

oh ah grantona

In what way? It certainly never made us less attacking or we never lost any momentum. We lost a goal from our own corner

How about it pushed a midfielder further forward who isn't an attacking/striker mind who could have been deeper and helped to counter a break.

I have said on the sub thread:- why didn't we make 2 changes at same time Smith for Sammon & zanatta for Nicholson

Bringing smith on meant we could have used Patterson in midfield or as a physical presence up top and dropping muirhead further back ( as it was hard ask for young lad to lead line on his own in what was his first proper run out for us)

Zanatta would have just freshened up.

Why did we need to change to suit Celtic ???

In the 10mins they had changed and Scored we were in control there change hadn't really turned the game action area was 31% Celtic half 13% ours. Nothing wrong with making a sub for personnel but the complete system change and square pegs round holes prob had an impact and that change was made because of Robbie bottle.

Having said that I finally seen him learn to an extent and he has 2 massive games coming up that we need to see more improvement

How about it pushed a midfielder further forward who isn't an attacking/striker mind who could have been deeper and helped to counter a break.

I have said on the sub thread:- why didn't we make 2 changes at same time Smith for Sammon & zanatta for Nicholson

Bringing smith on meant we could have used Patterson in midfield or as a physical presence up top and dropping muirhead further back ( as it was hard ask for young lad to lead line on his own in what was his first proper run out for us)

Zanatta would have just freshened up.

Why did we need to change to suit Celtic ???

In the 10mins they had changed and Scored we were in control there change hadn't really turned the game action area was 31% Celtic half 13% ours. Nothing wrong with making a sub for personnel but the complete system change and square pegs round holes prob had an impact and that change was made because of Robbie bottle.

Having said that I finally seen him learn to an extent and he has 2 massive games coming up that we need to see more improvement

Cant have it both ways he had an extra midfielder to put 5 in there so we should have had that deeper player irrespective of Djoum.

Revisionism is easy, you say why the system change but then offer your solution which is a complete system change of moving Paterson and dropping back Muirhead?

Sammon was knackered it made sense for the change with 12mins to go.

Someone has said it stopped us scoring a 2nd, in what 10minutes ? where we created just as many chances as we had the 80 before.

I thought he managed the full 90mins fine Rherras should have done his job and cleaned Griffiths out thats the difference.

You can pick the erse out of anything with hindsight. Should i have had kids? Should I have committed so heavily to the large dinner meat pizza?

End of the day I the debate goes this far when we're talking a substitution, then n Imo its difficult to BLAME a coach fir the decision.

Blindly refusing to even see the logic is just ridic

And Robbie played this system hopefully we can play 2 up top most games cause we look most dangerous this way

If Sam and Jamie turned up yesterday we would have won that but all in all very happy with the performance

agree.

I really like Jamie as he's got quality when on his game , but we really need to see him find a more consistent , mature level where we see him as a player we look to.

I think back to guys like Colquhoun and McCann who in their early 20s were dependable, influential wingers who had good levels of consistency. I'm just not seeing it as yet with JW and SN.

Is it maturity? Attitude? Young players used to grow into men quite quickly years back. I'm not sure they are as responsible these days.

The possession we had was superb in the 2 nd half and its down to 2 up top

It stretches the opposition and gives us an outlet

Stick with it Robbie we will do well !!

oh ah grantona

Cant have it both ways he had an extra midfielder to put 5 in there so we should have had that deeper player irrespective of Djoum.

Revisionism is easy, you say why the system change but then offer your solution which is a complete system change of moving Paterson and dropping back Muirhead?

Sammon was knackered it made sense for the change with 12mins to go.

Someone has said it stopped us scoring a 2nd, in what 10minutes ? where we created just as many chances as we had the 80 before.

I thought he managed the full 90mins fine Rherras should have done his job and cleaned Griffiths out thats the difference.

I give you an option to change it for me works better as still keeping a physical presence up top. The changes to strikers knowing what we had on bench was madness poor planning, could Sammon have gotten over the line could watt have been asked to give more??

One thing correct is Rherras should have made challenge and half way line and if you watch again you see Djoum I think it is looking into the middle must have seen we were getting caught yet offered nothing to stop cross

jambos are go!

Djoum is more culpable than Rherras in losing the second goal. Rherras runs past Djoum to try and get a challenge or block in. And Djoum is supposed to be a box to box midfielder. I still rate Djoum but he is not perfect.

Chopping somebody down and getting yourself ordered off on the basis that they might get an accurate cross in from a wide position to an attacker is not a wise gamble IMO.

Djoum is more culpable than Rherras in losing the second goal. Rherras runs past Djoum to try and get a challenge or block in. And Djoum is supposed to be a box to box midfielder. I still rate Djoum but he is not perfect.

Chopping somebody down and getting yourself ordered off on the basis that they might get an accurate cross in from a wide position to an attacker is not a wise gamble IMO.

What noone (unsurprisingly) has mentioned is that Grffiths simply "done" them.  His pace, pause, burst, cross was, frankly, superb when you watch it over.  Slimy wee shit.  Next shit hedgehog.  Yes, defending could have been better.  But Griffiths was superb.

Shout to wee Sam, who almost got back.  Great workrate.

jambos are go!

What noone (unsurprisingly) has mentioned is that Grffiths simply "done" them.  His pace, pause, burst, cross was, frankly, superb when you watch it over.  Slimy wee shit.  Next shit hedgehog.  Yes, defending could have been better.  But Griffiths was superb.

Agree

glastonbury jambo

spot on!

Athletes Feet

That's a good shout, he does us with both his pace and his attacking threat. There is a really good view of the their second goal on the BBC highlights that shows where it goes wrong for us (the 5 minute highlights). They have the 3 attacking threats at the edge of their box for our corner, Sinclair gets a flick on/wins the bounce ball vs Cowie and plays it wide to Griffiths before breaking. Djoum is the man charged with tracking and Rherras has the centre of the park, but he leaves that to try and take on Griffiths because he is worried he is doing Djoum for pace. If he runs a straight covering line back for another 20 yards instead of coming over to cover (leaving the space) he can either engage if Djoum is beaten with 25 yards to go or keep a straight line and have a good chance to cut out the cross if Djoum is still with Griffiths.... but I think he was over eager to close the man because he was wary of Griffiths threat. Good 10 seconds of coaching material of what can can wrong when playing last man when your team has a corner.

The change in formation after they made the attacking change never cost us the match, a fast counter from our corner done us.

I think it's time to admit Griffiths is a pretty great striker. He's no Robbo but at the moment he's up there with Johnston and McCoist and those two had much better midfielders setting him up. He gets goals at every team he plays for and against everyone and scores from everywhere. His movement is excellent. It's genuinely laughable he's hardly had a kick at international level. There I said it!

Back to our team, I liked the way we set up on Sunday and we can definitely go 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 with the new players we've signed. I think we've got the players now for a better 4-2-3-1 as well, with Watt in the roving Wayne Rooney role behind the striker. Alternatively Kitchen and Cowie as the sitting two, with Djoum in the middle and Watt up front.

Paterson Ozturk Rossi Rherras

Kitchen Djoum

Walker Watt Nicolson

Sammon

This is correct - whenever Griffiths got the ball on the halfway line, I was screaming for one of our covering players to boot him into the Wheatfield, until my mate told me they had both been booked!

We played 4-4-2 in the 2-2 game last season and he didn't get many plaudits for that performance.

We played 3-5-2 in the 3-1 game at Parkhead and out possessed Celtic and did well.

It's about the performance and drive of the team more than anything else IMO

Archived