Vinyl Record Player/Records

Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

Been thinking about buying a decent quality record player for quite some time now but was put off mainly due to cost of amps/speakers etc. However, ive just managed to get my hands on a good quality amp and a couple old studio speakers.

So, does anybody have a record player? What are the good quality makes and how much would i roughly have to spend? Best record shops?

You can probably tell im absolutely hopeless with this stuff so cheers for the help!

Generic Username

I've got one of these (in black) and had it for around four years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steepletone-SRP1R-11-Retro-Record-Player/dp/B005EXPEZE

Just a standard all in one job but if you're looking for a stand alone player to wire up to decent speakers then someone like Cosanostra might be a good shout. Sure he won't mind getting name dropped before he's posted.

Generic Username

As for buying records, Edinburgh has some great wee shops;

VoxBox

Oxfam down stockbridge

Vinyl Villains

Hoggs Head

But Discogs.com is always my first call.

Tony Soprano

I've got one of these (in black) and had it for around four years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steepletone-SRP1R-11-Retro-Record-Player/dp/B005EXPEZE

Just a standard all in one job but if you're looking for a stand alone player to wire up to decent speakers then someone like Cosanostra might be a good shout. Sure he won't mind getting name dropped before he's posted.

I did think about an all in one job but i was concerned about sound quality in comparison to a stand alone player. I had a wee shot of a stand alone one yesterday with decent quality speakers and the sound was absolutely fantastic. The player cost around ?250 though, not cheap!

Generic Username

I did think about an all in one job but i was concerned about sound quality in comparison to a stand alone player. I had a wee shot of a stand alone one yesterday with decent quality speakers and the sound was absolutely fantastic. The player cost around ?250 though, not cheap!

It depends on what you're using it for. If it's just for you fannying about at home with, feet up and something playing in the background it's fine and the sound quality won't dip when it's turned right up.

If you're looking for power and volume that'll turn the neighbours bones to mush, you'll want to look higher up the price range.

JamboInSouthsea

The amount you spend on a record player is anybody's guess but will depend on a number of things.

a) the quality of your amp and speakers...general rule of thumb is that you should spend roughly the same amount on each component as a system is only as good as the weakest link.

B) what type of music you listen to generally..be daft to spend a couple of grand if you listen to punk for example.

c) how many records you have

If you don't have too much cash then there's plenty of decent 2nd hand ones about for sale plus make sure your amp has a dedicated phono input (phono/aux will be quiet). If it doesn't then you'll either have to buy a phono pre-amp (about ?20 upwards) or some new turntables may have this built in.

Either way all the best cos vinyl still sounds way better to my ears :2thumbsup:

I'm a Technics 1210 mk 2 guy but i need tone control and direct drive for mixing and scratching.

For home listening with good quality sound, I'm told that pro-ject make some incredible gear. I think they're not exactly cheap but you'd be wise to avoid the cheap end of the market. Save until you can afford the one you want and then keep it forever.

Like Audioslave says, discogs is the bomb. Dread to imagine how much I've invested on that site.

Redeye Records and Juno are my other favourites but they are mostly for electronic stuff. Boomkat is okay but not as good as the last two.

Good 2nd hand Rega, Thorens or Dual. Keep in mind you want a good cartridge and always a new stylus.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Good 2nd hand Rega, Thorens or Dual. Keep in mind you want a good cartridge and always a new stylus.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Correct, though these usually require quite a bit of maintenance and servicing. As said above, the Projects are decent, or if you can find a good one, Technics 1210s are superb and near bulletproof.

Tony Soprano

I'm a Technics 1210 mk 2 guy but i need tone control and direct drive for mixing and scratching.

For home listening with good quality sound, I'm told that pro-ject make some incredible gear. I think they're not exactly cheap but you'd be wise to avoid the cheap end of the market. Save until you can afford the one you want and then keep it forever.

Like Audioslave says, discogs is the bomb. Dread to imagine how much I've invested on that site.

Redeye Records and Juno are my other favourites but they are mostly for electronic stuff. Boomkat is okay but not as good as the last two.

Ill need to give that site a try later on today and see what they have, keeping those brands you mentioned in mind. I wont be using it for mixing/scratching, mainly just wanted to listen to some older stuff on it, 60-90's but will almost definately want to eventually buy a few newer electronic records so will have a look at those two sites too.

Like i said, i know very little about all this stuff but the amp and speakers ive managed to get my hands on are old but apparently very good quality according to the guy im getting them off (getting them for free btw, im not just taking his word for it and handing over hundreds haha) the guy manages an audio/visual company which sets up confrences/events etc so id imagine he will know what he's taking about.

Im sure i seen a pro-ject turntable on amazon for a couple hundred quid which looked unbelievable, i might be best saving up for something like that.

Make sure your amp has an input for a turntable as it is a lower signal level than other components in your system. If not you'll have to factor in the cost of a pre-amp to boost the signal.

Anyone got any experience with some of the newer bluetooth turntables that have appeared?

The ultimate hipster purchase for a wee while now.

This. If you are an audiophile, you should be getting hi-res Blu-Ray Audio/DVD Audio or hi-res lossless downloads for the best quality sound.

Vinyl is getting hyped but the reality is that it isn't what it is being sold as.

Hugh Phamism

Still got my JVC turntable in my loft somewhere, along with a Sansui pre-amp and power-amp. Ditched my Mordaunt Short speakers about 10 years ago, but still have an extensive 70's and 80's vinyl collection in a cupboard  :2thumbsup:

I don't like vinyl for the sound quality.

Every now and then I enjoy relaxing on the couch with a bottle of red and listening to vinyl. There is something about having to get up and turn it over or change the record when it's finished, having to physically find the start of the next song when you want to skip one, going out to record shops and charity shops and searching through records for hours on end to find an absolute gem, or sometimes absolutely nothing worth buying despite my best efforts.It means if I have to hang around an areaI to waste time I can just pop into the nearest charity shop I can see on the odd chance if their being something worth buying.

I just like the whole experience of buying and playing vinyl. When I just want random music on in the background I'll just put a spotify play list on or the radio.

The Comedian

Looking at a project carbon table, Cambridge audio amp and decent speakers from Richer Sounds, about a grand I think.

Carl Fredrickson

Every now and then I enjoy relaxing on the couch with a bottle of red and listening to vinyl. There is something about having to get up and turn it over or change the record when it's finished, having to physically find the start of the next song when you want to skip one, going out to record shops and charity shops and searching through records for hours on end to find an absolute gem, or sometimes absolutely nothing worth buying despite my best efforts.It means if I have to hang around an areaI to waste time I can just pop into the nearest charity shop I can see on the odd chance if their being something worth buying.

I just like the whole experience of buying and playing vinyl. When I just want random music on in the background I'll just put a spotify play list on or the radio.

A man after my own heart. 

I have two turntables, a Technics one in our living room and one from Richer Sounds in our bedroom. Cant mind the make of the second one, got it from Richer Sounds on the recommendation of a friend who is a music teacher and knows a lot about hi fi stuff too.

I spent an afternoon in Richer Sounds listening to different speakers/turntables/amps. Spent quite a bit that day! 

Well worth it thought as a number of my friends and I have never not had vinyl in our lives. 

When i get a spare hour (rare nowadays), it is great to have a rake through a record store

I saw that Sainsburys were selling vinyl in store. Looked like a selection of classic albums

Tesco also do this in bigger stores.

Tony Soprano

My uncle just got that Rega RP1 last week, i seen it on amazon for ?250 but it seems you can get it for roughly ?180 on some sites. Looks a safe bet if i were to go with one of those. Cheers!

This x 2.

I'd also suggest it's a sort of connection with our youth, when vinyl was the main way to purchase and play music.  It is very much a ritual.

As far as turntables go, I bought an old one off of a friend a few years back.  It plugs into the Aux of my Sony midi HiFi.  The sound is fine, not as good as Spotify or the like, but it does the job.

Also, the amount of material that we have, my vinyl and the Mrs' vinyl, and it's a no bad wee collection.

Hugh Phamism

Don't know if it was an age thing, but when I was buying records (vinyl) I always read all the sleeve notes, and usually learned the lyrics, etc. Since CD's and now onto downloads, I know virtually nothing about the artists and sometimes don't even know the band members anymore...

HP (age 53 1/2)

Just looked to see how much I've spent on Discogs...Yikes!

I'm more worried about my current pre-orders.  Feeder signed album, Bowie Box set 2, Ramones Box set, ...

As a soul boy vinyl was then only option.

Anyway maybe worth having a look at used as well .

Can get some decent deals.

Just looked to see how much I've spent on Discogs...Yikes!

Just done the same but i've been adding records from juno and record shops to my collection as i've been going. Wouldn't mind having that money right now...

Generic Username

Just done the same but i've been adding records from juno and record shops to my collection as i've been going. Wouldn't mind having that money right now...

I'm dumping stuff in my basket all through the month, then on pay day have to strip it down to an affordable number and that's my lot for the month. Trying to chop down 20/30 records to the 3 or 4 you really want the most is hard going.

Archived