Best penalty taker

Coco

Best penalty taker?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Best penalty taker?

We have had some cracking penalty takers over the years.

Robbo, Mickey Cameron, Hartley and even Pressley. Simmons scored a few in a row and all the penalties in the 2006 Cup final were excellently taken. I don't think that Henry Smith would get into the list.

But who is our best penalty taker? My vote would go for Mickey Cameron.

Nor Big Disco Dave. MacKay didn't miss many he took, althogh he didn't take too many.

heartsfc_fan

Hartley....then Cameron (barring 1 missed I can remember)

Hearts Heritage

PH without a doubt.

Though the greatest penalty was ....

1998051602.jpg

Ryan Gosling

You have to wonder why sellik wouldn't let Hartley take penalties - even though they'd missed like 6 in a season.

Is it true we haven't missed a penalty in 4 years? (Have now jinxed it obviously)

japanjambo

For style: *let's just blast it as hard as I can!":ninja:...The Buzzbomb.:mj_zivili:

For % from the spot, ye canny beat Willie Gibson! 100% record!:mj_zivili:

Lynn:ninja:

Hearts Heritage
You have to wonder why sellik wouldn't let Hartley take penalties - even though they'd missed like 6 in a season.

Is it true we haven't missed a penalty in 4 years? (Have now jinxed it obviously)

Last miss was 30th Oct 2004

Pereira sent McKenna in on goal at the edge of the Dundee box but the big Canadian was sent crashing to the ground by Hernandez just as he moved inside the penalty area.

Referee Craig Thomson immediately red-carded the Dens defender and when the penalty was eventually taken, Jambos skipper Pressley crashed the spot kick off the bar before it was eventually cleared to safety.

A minute later McKenna latched on to a Paul Hartley cross from the right but his powerful header also hit the bar and rebounded away from danger.

But the Jambos were not to be denied and on 33 minutes, when Pereira again set up McKenna, the striker's shot was too powerful for Derek Soutar and the ball arched into the back of the net.

In the same period We've 'saved' 6 or the opponents have missed. NB this includes ones were they have scored on the rebound.

19/02/2005 L SPL Motherwell 0-2

30/04/2005 L SPL Motherwell 0-0

05/11/2005 L SPL Dundee United 3-0

25/03/2006 L SPL Falkirk 2-1

04/05/2006 Shield Hibernian 2-4

13/05/2006 SC Gretna 1-1

Hartley without a doubt.

Think he scored 3 v HIbs 05/06 and held his bottle to score that all important penalty v Aberdeen.

Isaac Begbie

Hartley for me. The pen against Aberdeen was about as important a pen as I remember us having and there was a fair bit of gamesmanship going on, but I dont think missing was ever a possibility.

As already mentioned I think its extremely weird that hes not taken any for sellick.

Funny how time changes everything.

Robertson has an astonishing record of scoring from the spot. For a long time, his record was missed one (although he scored it from a rebound) and scored hundreds. IIRC he only ever missed two or three for Hearts; it MUST be Robertson.

Hartley for me. The pen against Aberdeen was about as important a pen as I remember us having and there was a fair bit of gamesmanship going on, but I dont think missing was ever a possibility.

As already mentioned I think its extremely weird that hes not taken any for sellick.

I am amazed at so few votes for Mickey Cameron and Robbo so far.

Agree that the Hartley penalty was high stakes. But what about Camerons? First minute in the Cup Final!

vegas-voss

Hartley

How many did he miss one or two at most ?

God knows why Celtic don't let him take the penalties.

Robbo27_22

Agree that the Hartley penalty was high stakes. But what about Camerons? First minute in the Cup Final!

Hartley gets most folks vote because you can't beat 100% record dimwit.

Hearts Heritage

Robertson has an astonishing record of scoring from the spot. For a long time, his record was missed one (although he scored it from a rebound) and scored hundreds. IIRC he only ever missed two or three for Hearts; it MUST be Robertson.

I don't have his 'misses' but he did miss one that would have given him his only Premier League hat-trick and one of the fastest ever recorded.

As others have said PH 100% record including the one versus Aberdeen with all the delay.

winston churchill

hartley for me,forget the one in the semi as the game was in the bag.

what about the one fagainst aberdeen for 2nd spot.

John Findlay

I voted other. The other being Donald Ford.

John

Denny Crane

It seems Mickey and Robbo have fallen foul to the "recent is greatest" syndrome.

Denny Crane

I remember a miss against Hamilton Accies in 86/87 (we won a dire game 1-0) and I'm not sure if he or Scott Crabbe missed one in a 3-1 defeat away to Celtic in 91/92 (largely helped by an incompetant ref I seem to recall). Can anyone clarify that last one and any other misses?

As for Mickey, I think his sole miss was in a 3-0 win over Motherwell in 2000/01.

FORTHCLYDE

I've followed Hearts for 40 years and Paul Hartley without a shadow of doubt was the best (come back Paul). But remember Donald Ford and his hat-trick of pens versus Morton. That's bottle!

I was at that game, who was it against again? St Midden? Pars? The old memory's not what it used to be!

Dundee on 31-12-87.

It seems Mickey and Robbo have fallen foul to the "recent is greatest" syndrome.

Or the fact that they couldn't match Hartley's 100% record, perhaps???:cool:

K Black was great at pens until he missed one.Pressley the same.So you have to give Robbo and Cameron credit for not letting a miss put them off.In saying that Hartley was great so he gets my vote.

I voted other but really it is Paul Hartley.Everytime he stepped up you knew he was going to score.

Also Velicka knew how to take one as well.

Hearts Heritage

You know me, I am most definitely not a "recent is greatest" .

"it is the facts Jack". PH Never missed one.

Only a Game
K Black was great at pens until he missed one.Pressley the same.So you have to give Robbo and Cameron credit for not letting a miss put them off.In saying that Hartley was great so he gets my vote.

Kenny Black missed one at Dens Park in the 85/86 season. We drew 0-0 I think (Edit: it was 1-1). If he'd scored we'd have won the league.

There are several "what ifs" lurking about in my head from that season, a glaring miss by Sandy Clark at Easter Road (0-0) being another one, but Kenny's penalty miss is one of the most gut wrenching of them all

Hearts Heritage

In 1957-58 we missed 7 including 5 in the league

Bauld 20/08/1957 LC Dundee 2-2

Crawford 24/08/1957 LC Kilmarnock 1-1

Kirk 26/10/1957 L Div One Rangers 3-2

Mackay 16/11/1957 L Div One Queens Park 8-0

Mackay 11/01/1958 L Div One Partick Thistle 4-1

Milne 10/03/1958 L Div One Queen Of The South 3-1

Milne 14/03/1958 L Div One Celtic 5-3

Denny Crane
Or the fact that they couldn't match Hartley's 100% record, perhaps???:cool:

Perhaps - but there will be a tendancy for some to go for the most recent hero given attention spans are not what they used to be these days.

I personally went for Mickey for one glorious 12-yarder in the firstg minute of the last match of 97/98. Robbo is a narrow second because his ratio over a 16-year period is phenomenal.

Smoked-Glass
Hartley....then Cameron (barring 1 missed I can remember)

Cameron missed one against dundee in the cup at tynecastle.

Denny Crane
You know me, I am most definitely not a "recent is greatest" .

"it is the facts Jack". PH Never missed one.

Hmm...can see your logic but given Cameron hit the most important one of the lot and Robbo's success over a very prolongued period, it is surprising to see their low scores in this poll.

Has to be Robbo. Hartley may have a 100% record but I'm pretty sure he would have missed more than Robbo over a prolonged period. The wee man was phenomenal from the spot.

rudi must stay
Paul Hartley

voted him as well. He was brilliant at them, some of his penalties were absolutely unsaveable especially in the 05/06 season

Ibrahim Tall
Hmm...can see your logic but given Cameron hit the most important one of the lot and Robbo's success over a very prolongued period, it is surprising to see their low scores in this poll.

Hartley scored the penalty that secured Champions League football. Wouldn't put it ahead of Mickeys personally but it's got to be up there.

That said i still voted for Cameron.

jambosean75

how come nobody has mentioned robbie neilson.

100% record

d**n , must type faster

Buffalo Bill

Paul Hartley. 16 out of 16.

No contest.

Buffalo Bill

Archived