New York hotels

davemclaren

davemclaren

Off next Easter with the missus. Any recommended hotels? I can't see her going for anything less than 3, or even 4, star and the big apple can be pricey.....:confused:

I'm sure there was a thread on this before but can't find it.

Off next Easter with the missus. Any recommended hotels? I can't see her going for anything less than 3, or even 4, star and the big apple can be pricey.....:confused:

I'm sure there was a thread on this before but can't find it.

Been many a times to New York.

When I first went I had an excellent view of Times Square with this hotel:

http://www.novotel.com/fichehotel/gb/nov/0753/fiche_hotel.shtml

This hotel was a great location:

http://www.mansfieldhotel.com/

Hotel 57 was nice:

http://www.hotel57.com/

When i was over last month I stayed in The Pod Hotel. Reasonable price, good location and quite funky. iPod docks in the rooms etc. Not the biggest rooms but very comfortable and friendly.

Only a Game

Try here for value for money

Fairly central and usually the cheapest of its class. Nothing special but unless you want to spend at least ?170 a night, you're not going to get anything special.

http://www.cosmohotel.com/

Stayed in the Waldorf in Jan which was excellent but pricey. Going again in 6 weeks and staying in the Warwick which is less expensive but still really nice. Have a look at the belvedere. A bit cheaper but still central and very nice.

been to new york 3 times and the best place we stayed was in the doubletree suites right on times square.

we booked through our RBS travel advisor's and got a really good deal, but if you call them you might get a decent deal.

part of the hilton group, and definitely worth thinking about

just as a word of warning, its not too great for getting up and having a cheap brekkie though, cos it IS tourist central

hmfc_steve
Been many a times to New York.

When I first went I had an excellent view of Times Square with this hotel:

http://www.novotel.com/fichehotel/gb/nov/0753/fiche_hotel.shtml

This hotel was a great location:

http://www.mansfieldhotel.com/

Hotel 57 was nice:

http://www.hotel57.com/

recommend the novotel... been there, and it's a perfect position, and decently priced

Terrible Trio
just as a word of warning, its not too great for getting up and having a cheap brekkie though

you've just put a dampner on Dave's trip

davemclaren
you've just put a dampner on Dave's trip

You know me well.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the info guys - I'll check these out. On the same trip we're spending a few days in Miami as well, before going on to Grand Cayman. Already sorted for accommodation in Grand Cayman but any tips for Miami would also be gratefully received.

It's a 'special' anniversary next year apparently. ;)

stay in the YMCA!

well I did and it was pish so other people should feel my pain :P

Terrible Trio

Golden wedding anniversary

Well done

Terrible Trio
stay in the YMCA!

well I did and it was pish so other people should feel my pain :P

is the pain in your jacksy per chance

Tom Heaney

Anyway, thanks for the info guys - I'll check these out. On the same trip we're spending a few days in Miami as well, before going on to Grand Cayman. Already sorted for accommodation in Grand Cayman but any tips for Miami would also be gratefully received.

Dave, Depending on time of year or what time of week you may get a good deal at a Marriott, The Marquis on Times Sq is pretty good. Do you know anyone who works at Marriott (like Dalmahoy or the one in Corstorphine) you may be able to get the friends and family rate.

davemclaren
Golden wedding anniversary

Well done

I'm afraid I'm only half the man you think I am. :cool:

You staying anywhere nice in Cayman? I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for an old guy in a full Hearts strip :P

davemclaren
You staying anywhere nice in Cayman? I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for an old guy in a full Hearts strip :P

Morritt's Tortuga apparently. :confused:

The Old Tolbooth
Morritt's Tortuga apparently. :confused:

We've all got a high opinion of you on here Dave :D

I think your a nice old guy if that makes you feel better :)

I'd deffo help you across the road mate ;)

Stayed in the Waldorf in Jan which was excellent but pricey. Going again in 6 weeks and staying in the Warwick which is less expensive but still really nice.

I've stayed in both. The Warwick's very nice and at a decent price.

Glamorgan Jambo

Depends what time of the week you're there but if its the weekend try staying over the river in Newark close by the airport. The hotels all have very competitive weekend rates and it's dead easy to get into NYC any number of ways from bus/train/limo. I'm there for a couple of days in a couple of weeks and I'm staying in the Sheraton Newark at 139USD/night. Probably half the price in Manhatten and double the quality of hotel.

Don't go for a wander after dark though

Stayed in the New York Helmsley* a few year ago.

Next to Chrysler Building and a 2min walk from Central Station where you can catch the underground to anywhere.

It was also within walking distance to Times Square (the walk takes you past Empire State Building).

Re ESB, buy tickets online before you go, could save you a couple of hours in a queue, i would recommend if you have the time to do the ESB twice, once in the daylight and again in the dark with New York all lit up.

*There are 4 or 5 Helmsley Group hotels in NY, we stayed in the New York Helmsley 3.5*, but it was top notch.

http://www.newyorkhelmsley.com/

I stayed at the Waldorf, Marriott Marquis, and the Sheraton New York all this year by far the best is the Marriott Marquis, found the Waldorf to be lovely in the foyer and an amazing building but the rooms are a bit small and in need of a bit of redecoration. The Sheraton is well a Sheraton. But the Marriott is right in the middle of everything has some nice features like the Glass Lifts, the bar that overlooks Broadway with an amazing pianist playing songs from the shows, some excellent restaurants and really nice rooms.

davemclaren

The one time I have stayed in New York ( in 94 ) was at the Grand Hyatt. I wasn't paying and whilst the bars and reception were nice the room was very basic and small. But I suppose that is NYC.... :sad:

Thanks for the ideas, need to go check them out.

The one time I have stayed in New York ( in 94 ) was at the Grand Hyatt. I wasn't paying and whilst the bars and reception were nice the room was very basic and small. But I suppose that is NYC.... :sad:

Thanks for the ideas, need to go check them out.

If that is the Hyatt next to Grand Central Station then the Hotel i mentioned is on the same street (1 block away).

I was there a couple of weeks ago. Stayed here and would really recommend it. http://www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx?name=Eastgate-Tower

Depends what's important to you in a hotel, though.

It has a tiny reception, no bar or restaurant, but the rooms are absolutely massive by New York standards, because it used to be an apartment block. I had a living area with sofa, comfy chair, dining table and chairs, plus a full kitchen - great for keeping your beers cold!

The lack of restaurant is not a problem because there's a fantastic traditional New York diner on the corner for cheap, massive breakfasts (mmmm... pancakes.)

It's a few minutes walk from Grand Central, and walkable to a lot of the midtown sights. My first night I went to Kid Rock/Lynyrd Skynyrd at Madison Square Garden, and walked there from the hotel - right along 34th street past the Empire State Building. Brilliant.

Archived