Euro 2008 - Fearless Predictions!

shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson

Feel free to bump this post back to the top and laugh at me come the end of the tournament.

Group A

1. Portugal

2. Switzerland

3. Czech Republic

4. Turkey

Group B

1. Germany

2. Croatia

3. Austria

4. Poland

Group C

1. Italy

2. Holland

3. France

4. Romania

Group D

1. Spain

2. Russia

3. Greece

4. Sweden

Quarter-Finals

Portugal 0-1 Croatia

Germany 2-0 Switzerland

Italy 1-0 Russia

Spain 2-2 Holland (aet; score at 90 mins, 1-1; Holland win on penalties)

Semi-Finals

Croatia 1-2 Germany

Italy 1-2 Holland (aet; score at 90 mins, 1-1)

Final

Germany 2-1 Holland

I think if it were to be a Germany v Netherlands final, then the Dutch would win. (Remember kids referring to Holland instead of the Netherlands is like calling Britain England!;))

I can't see the Swiss qualifying either, but that apart...pretty spot on.

shaun.lawson
Hobo

If I were a Hobo, I'd have surely tipped Spain! Silky underachievers, long trophy drought, whose year it must surely be - but always come up short!

shaun.lawson
]I think if it were to be a Germany v Netherlands final' date=' then the Dutch would win. [/b'] (Remember kids referring to Holland instead of the Netherlands is like calling Britain England!;))

I can't see the Swiss qualifying either, but that apart...pretty spot on.

Not given they're in the tougher half of the draw, and play the semi a day later. Plus, however glorious 1988 was, it was the exception to the historical rule. No matter how talented the Oranje might be, Germany are far more tournament hardened: think 1974 or 1990, not to mention their miraculous defeat of the greatest side not to win the World Cup: the Magic Magyars of 1954.

Say What Again
If I were a Hobo, I'd have surely tipped Spain! Silky underachievers, long trophy drought, whose year it must surely be - but always come up short!

:biggrin:

Sorry mate, it just seemed like a silly, one word response to all the effort you'd put in to your post.

I've actually backed Spain - maybe I'm a hobo! :sad:

Feel free to bump this post back to the top and laugh at me come the end of the tournament.

Group A

1. Portugal

2. Switzerland

3. Czech Republic

4. Turkey

Group B

1. Germany

2. Croatia

3. Austria

4. Poland

Group C

1. Italy

2. Holland

3. France

4. Romania

Group D

1. Spain

2. Russia

3. Greece

4. Sweden

Quarter-Finals

Portugal 0-1 Croatia

Germany 2-0 Switzerland

Italy 1-0 Russia

Semi-Finals

Croatia 1-2 Germany

Final

Germany 2-1 Holland

That was quite agreeable until the knockout stages. Then it all just went to hell.

Charlie-Brown

Interesting predictions Shaun we'll see how it turns out.....for the first time I can remember this tournament has crept up on me, normally I'm pre-prepared & know all the main teams and as many of their key players and prospects & qualifiers & current form etc. however that isn't the case this time, I know a bit about France & Italy cos they were in Scotlands group and I know most of the Spanish team but having had little or no tournament preparation Iam hoping this will be something new & interesting as i won't have any preconceptions or favourites and maybe It'll be a more immediate experience and something genuinely 'news' ..... we'll see. :)

Rick Grimes

Good thread! And Boris' point noted...

Group A

1. Portugal

2. Czech Republic

3. Turkey

4. Switzerland

Group B

1. Germany

2. Croatia

3. Poland

4. Austria

Group C

1. Italy

2. France

3. Romania

4. Netherlands

Group D

1. Spain

2. Russia

3. Sweden

4. Greece

Quarter-Finals

Portugal 1-2 Croatia

Germany 3-2 Czech Republic (aet; 2-2 @ 90 mins)

Italy 3-0 Russia

France 0-1 Spain

Semi-Finals

Croatia 1-2 Germany

Italy 1-2 Spain (aet; 1-1 @ 90 mins)

Final

Germany 2-0 Spain

shaun.lawson
That was quite agreeable until the knockout stages. Then it all just went to hell.

To be fair, part of the fun of predictions like these is you're meant to look for surprises and possible outsiders. I mean, I could just leave it to the bookies, and go for a Germany-Spain final - but then there'd be no point really. As a general rule, I tend to always get two out of the last four right, and have a pretty decent record when it comes to tipping the World Cup winners - but not the European Championship.

Group A

1. Portugal

2. Czech Republic

3. Switzerland

4. Turkey

Group B

1. Germany

2. Croatia

3. Poland

4. Austria

Group C

1. France

2. Italy

3. Holland

4. Romania

Group D

1. Spain

2. Russia

3. Greece

4. Sweden

Quarter-Finals

Portugal 2 Croatia 1

Germany 2 Czech Republic 0

France 1 Russia 0

Spain 1 Italy 1 (Spain win on penalties)

Semi-Finals

Portugal 1 Germany 1 (Germany win on penalties)

France 2 Spain 1

Final

Germany 1 France 1 (Germany win on penalties)

Charlie-Brown

I don't even know who's playing tomorrow or the fixture list nevermind picking a winner. :laugh:

shaun.lawson
Interesting predictions Shaun we'll see how it turns out.....for the first time I can remember this tournament has crept up on me, normally I'm pre-prepared & know all the main teams and as many of their key players and prospects & qualifiers & current form etc. however that isn't the case this time, I know a bit about France & Italy cos they were in Scotlands group and I know most of the Spanish team but having had little or no tournament preparation Iam hoping this will be something new & interesting as i won't have any preconceptions or favourites and maybe It'll be a more immediate experience and something genuinely 'news' ..... we'll see. :)

Yes, I know what you mean. My only previous experience of a major tournament without England was USA 94 - which I really enjoyed. I vividly remember staying up into the small hours and watching an incredibly brave Saudi performance come to nothing against the ridiculously jammy Dutch, and Romania's Hagi-inspired destruction of the weirdly overhyped Colombians. The lack of pre-tournament coverage in the British media has been pretty disappointing - but at least it's better than for Euro 84. A magnificently high quality event, but the BBC showed just two live games!

I adore international football: it's the thing I'm most passionate about within the sport I'm most passionate about. And there are other international sides I follow: Uruguay are my 'second' team, but I always root for the Czech Republic and Spain too, because I love the way both play. And on their day, when they get it right (Spain 4-3 Yugoslavia at Euro 2000, or Holland 2-3 Czech Republic at Euro 2004), you can see what I mean!

So I'm really excited. Two years ago, my best friend phoned me up, and asked how I was. When I replied that I couldn't sleep, she was worried; but then I explained. "It's... it's... it's the World Cup!" I was like a little kid in a candy store, basically - and no matter what my career ends up involving, every two years, I know when my holidays will be organised for. June, and a major tournament: there's nothing better in the world.

To be fair, part of the fun of predictions like these is you're meant to look for surprises and possible outsiders. I mean, I could just leave it to the bookies, and go for a Germany-Spain final - but then there'd be no point really. As a general rule, I tend to always get two out of the last four right, and have a pretty decent record when it comes to tipping the World Cup winners - but not the European Championship.

Sure, fair enough. I just don't want to see Iberian (and Croation?) class flopping yet again - and boring, bloody Germany winning!

I don't even know who's playing tomorrow or the fixture list nevermind picking a winner. :laugh:

That's cos your too busy on here devising the next fictional chapter of HMFC !!! :)

Sure, fair enough. I just don't want to see Iberian (and Croation?) class flopping yet again - and boring, bloody Germany winning!

Croation....? That's something out of the Bible, isn't it? Not what I meant.

shaun.lawson
:biggrin:

Sorry mate, it just seemed like a silly, one word response to all the effort you'd put in to your post.

I've actually backed Spain - maybe I'm a hobo! :sad:

Heh! I'll be cheering for them anyway. I'd love to see them do it - and have an emotional connection to how they play and their continual, England-esque despair. I watched their match with France at the World Cup in a German bierkeller in London (complete with German commentary, and low-cut wenches serving food and drink), and was shell shocked when they lost. I couldn't believe how much it affected me, to be honest: I felt so sorry for them, but they'd screwed it up yet again. And this time round, much as I'd love to be wrong, I imagine it'll be a case of the same old story.

Charlie-Brown

International football tournaments are the best form of football and provide so many shared memories good & bad.......talksport has been quite positive about this tournament even though engerland aren't there ( a source of much angst for mike porky parry who is now advocating a wildcard place for each time a major team (england) doesn't qualify)...anyway I've decided I don't even want to know the fixture list except which games to record or watch that day on telly....i just hope it's a good tournie - with lots of drama and not so much negative football.

shaun.lawson

Thing is though, are Germany boring? They were under Vogts or Voller - but I thought they played some terrific stuff at the World Cup. And the man generally hailed as the architect behind that, Joachim Loew (Klinsmann was more a motivational figurehead), is their coach now - so I wouldn't despair just yet. I'd really like to see Croatia do well too - but without Eduardo, the semis is their absolute maximum, and I'm already going against the grain in fancying them to get past Portugal in the last 8.

Charlie-Brown
That's cos your too busy on here devising the next fictional chapter of HMFC !!! :)

Just wait till you see the scripts i've sent vlad for next season!!! :P

shaun.lawson
International football tournaments are the best form of football and provide so many shared memories good & bad.......talksport as been quite positive about this tournament even though engerland aren't there ( a source of much angst for mike porky parry who is now advocating a wildcard place for each time a major team (england) doesn't qualify)...anyway I've decided I don't even want to know the fixture list except which games to record or watch that day on telly....i just hope it's a good tournie - with lots of drama and not so much negative football.

LOL! Firstly, what on earth is a smart chap like you listening to talkNONSENSE anyway? ;) And second: precisely because I'm desperate to see England finally win something one day, I was ecstatic that we didn't qualify. It'd only have papered over enormous cracks amid the usual hype and hoopla - but failure meant the FA had to appoint someone of the very highest calibre, and there's no-one with more chance than Capello to lead us to success.

LOL! Firstly, what on earth is a smart chap like you listening to talkNONSENSE anyway? ;) And second: precisely because I'm desperate to see England finally win something one day, I was ecstatic that we didn't qualify. It'd only have papered over enormous cracks amid the usual hype and hoopla - but failure meant the FA had to appoint someone of the very highest calibre, and there's no-one with more chance than Capello to lead us to success.

Interesting Shaun because to me this is the very tournament England could have gone very close in. Lots of teams in with a chance (which I believe will lead to a great tourney) but no outstanding sides by any means and frankly England's squad would have been as strong as any.

However, look at the next couple of World Cup locations (South Africa and Brazil) and I would say England's chances diminish greatly with Argentina and Brazil much more likely to adapt to the conditions etc. Of course I'm looking at it from a different angle from you but I think England have missed a major opportunity this summer.

Charlie-Brown

I listen to radio in the car or at my father-in-law's house as he is a radio & not a tv person. TS can be talk-nonsense depending on which presenters are on-air but generally it's at least informative & current, although some of the hosts are very good & thoughful & others are very experienced in football so they can usually attract decent guests on the phone in or feature programmes, 606 & 5-live are good except....radio-5 has too much non-sport depending on the schedules.....radio scotland for local footy obviously

yvonnejambo

Portugal v France final

Portugal to win or maybe Czech Republic hhmmm ;)

shaun.lawson
Interesting Shaun because to me this is the very tournament England could have gone very close in. Lots of teams in with a chance (which I believe will lead to a great tourney) but no outstanding sides by any means and frankly England's squad would have been as strong as any.

However, look at the next couple of World Cup locations (South Africa and Brazil) and I would say England's chances diminish greatly with Argentina and Brazil much more likely to adapt to the conditions etc. Of course I'm looking at it from a different angle from you but I think England have missed a major opportunity this summer.

Fair point - though it's worth bearing in mind that May/June in South Africa can actually be quite cool, and I'd be surprised if we have as many problems adapting to any heat, especially with someone like Capello doing his utmost to help us keep the bloody ball! Meanwhile, in terms of the Euros: well, no way would we ever have done anything under Second Choice Steve. When we kicked off the vital qualifier in Moscow, literally the first thing we did was boot it long and lose possession within the first ten seconds: it was embarrassing!

Plus, while I still harbour some hope that England can someday win the World Cup again (especially if we host it), I'd be astonished we were to ever triumph in the Euros. The depth of competition is far greater - and almost everyone has better technical ability. Our World Cup record is actually reasonable - we're 5th on FIFA's all-time table; but conversely, our fortunes in the continental championship have been absolutely shocking, and that's not something I can ever envisage changing.

shaun.lawson
I listen to radio in the car or at my father-in-law's house as he is a radio & not a tv person. TS can be talk-nonsense depending on which presenters are on-air but generally it's at least informative & current, although some of the hosts are very good & thoughful & others are very experienced in football so they can usually attract decent guests on the phone in or feature programmes, 606 & 5-live are good except....radio-5 has too much non-sport depending on the schedules.....radio scotland for local footy obviously

Well, if the choice was only between Radio Scotland and talkNONSENSE, maybe I could understand! I have 5 Live on 24/7, even for the non-sport stuff, and would be lost without it, however much Alan Green and Mark Lawrenson drive me insane.

Of course, I imagine a few others on here love talkSPORT - it plays to their, ahem, view of the world, if you know what I mean...

rudi must stay

Group A

1. Portugal

2. Switzerland

3. Czech Republic

4. Turkey

Group B

1. Germany

2. Croatia

3. Austria

4. Poland

Group C

1. Italy

2. Holland

3. France

4. Romania

Group D

1. Spain

2. Russia

3. Greece

4. Sweden

Quarter-Finals

Portugal 0-1 Croatia

Germany 2-0 Switzerland

Italy 1-0 Russia

Semi-Finals

Croatia 1-2 Germany

Final

Germany 2-1 Holland

who needs the real tournament eh :P. Germany winning though, can't see it tbh.

Well, if the choice was only between Radio Scotland and talkNONSENSE, maybe I could understand! I have 5 Live on 24/7, even for the non-sport stuff, and would be lost without it, however much Alan Green and Mark Lawrenson drive me insane.

Of course, I imagine a few others on here love talkSPORT - it plays to their, ahem, view of the world, if you know what I mean...

You must have seen this then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yixzJgWNBd8

Fair point - though it's worth bearing in mind that May/June in South Africa can actually be quite cool, and I'd be surprised if we have as many problems adapting to any heat, especially with someone like Capello doing his utmost to help us keep the bloody ball! Meanwhile, in terms of the Euros: well, no way would we ever have done anything under Second Choice Steve. When we kicked off the vital qualifier in Moscow, literally the first thing we did was boot it long and lose possession within the first ten seconds: it was embarrassing!

Plus, while I still harbour some hope that England can someday win the World Cup again (especially if we host it), I'd be astonished we were to ever triumph in the Euros. The depth of competition is far greater - and almost everyone has better technical ability. Our World Cup record is actually reasonable - we're 5th on FIFA's all-time table; but conversely, our fortunes in the continental championship have been absolutely shocking, and that's not something I can ever envisage changing.

No argument there, you would have needed Capello in place before the tournament proper. By the way apparently the Euro's will become a 24 team affair in time for the 2016 championship's.

I'm going for the Russians to win it all with an outside punt on Croatia/Germany.

So given my chronic prediction uselessness, you should all make sure none of these three teams are factored into the betting slips.

shaun.lawson
You must have seen this then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yixzJgWNBd8

:rofl:

I hadn't, actually! Racist, fat oaf of a man, isn't he? Ipswich fans get carried away sometimes and sing about how it's 'just like watching Brazil'. Well, quite. :)

shaun.lawson
No argument there, you would have needed Capello in place before the tournament proper. By the way apparently the Euro's will become a 24 team affair in time for the 2016 championship's.

Typical UEFA greedheads. It'll dilute the quality, and create an unwieldy format too. :sad:

Some of the lines are brilliant - the ones about paperwork and "being on your side".

Or was that the drink talking?

shaun.lawson
Some of the lines are brilliant - the ones about paperwork and "being on your side".

Or was that the drink talking?

The latter, I strongly imagine...

shaun.lawson
Nothing definite on here but by all accounts it's very much on the cards. See 'hosting requirements' :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016

I think it'd be ridiculous. It'd rule out all smaller countries hosting it, unless as part of a joint bid, which can often dilute the atmosphere of a big tournament. It'd also create a crazy format: presumably the six group winners and two best runners-up would qualify for the last 8? What a mess that would be; and I bet it would create convoluted scenarios a la Germany-Austria 1982 too.

But what's all of that when set against the chance of making more money, eh? The World Cup lost so much quality when FIFA expanded it from sixteen teams: as a result, the best sides are out on their feet by the time they get to the semis or final. I'd hate to see the European Championship go the same way.

I think it'd be ridiculous. It'd rule out all smaller countries hosting it, unless as part of a joint bid, which can often dilute the atmosphere of a big tournament. It'd also create a crazy format: presumably the six group winners and two best runners-up would qualify for the last 8? What a mess that would be; and I bet it would create convoluted scenarios a la Germany-Austria 1982 too.

But what's all of that when set against the chance of making more money, eh? The World Cup lost so much quality when FIFA expanded it from sixteen teams: as a result, the best sides are out on their feet by the time they get to the semis or final. I'd hate to see the European Championship go the same way.

They were talkng about 6 group winners and runners up + 4 best 3rd placed teams going through to knockout stage to make 16 teams. So basically you would have to play an extra game to win the tournament, seven in total. It's the same format the 1986, 1990 and 1994 World Cups had.

Charlie-Brown

How would 53 nations qualify for a 24 team tournament? 2 x 24 = 48 + a prelim for the minnows? Maybe some countries will be 'balkanised' by then and well have a lot more 'nations' by then.....Kosovo v York-land would be quite interesting...especially in Bradford. ;)

shaun.lawson
They were talkng about 6 group winners and runners up + 4 best 3rd placed teams going through to knockout stage to make 16 teams. So basically you would have to play an extra game to win the tournament, seven in total. It's the same format the 1986, 1990 and 1994 World Cups had.

Which is also a nonsense. Three group stage games, just to eliminate eight obviously weak teams? In 1986, Uruguay reached the last 16 with a record of two draws, one defeat, two goals scored... and seven against!

How would 53 nations qualify for a 24 team tournament? 2 x 24 = 48 + a prelim for the minnows? Maybe some countries will be 'balkanised' by then and well have a lot more 'nations' by then.....Kosovo v York-land would be quite interesting...especially in Bradford. ;)

You could have a qualification of :

5 groups of 7 = 35

3 groups of 6 = 18

Then it could be easy and just :

3 teams qualify from each group to give the 24 teams

or more complicated :

2 teams from each group giving 16 qualified + 8 play off matches between teams finishing in 3rd place against 4th place to give the other 8

I agree with SL that it would dillute the quality somewhat but it wouldn't half make it easier for the home nations to get to championships !!

The Old Tolbooth

Group A

1. Czech Rep

2. Portugal

3. Switzerland

4. Turkey

Group B

1. Germany

2. Croatia

3. Poland

4. Austria

Group C

1. Italy

2. Holland

3. France

4. Romania

Group D

1. Spain

2. Sweden

3. Russia

4. Greece

Quarter-Finals

Czech Rep 2-1 Croatia

Germany 2-1 Portugal

Italy 1-1 Sweden (Italy on pens

Spain 1-2 Holland

Semi-Finals

Czech Rep 2-1 Germany

Italy 1-2 Holland

Final

Czech Rep 2-1 Holland :)

shaun.lawson
Group A

1. Czech Rep

2. Portugal

3. Switzerland

4. Turkey

Group B

1. Germany

2. Croatia

3. Poland

4. Austria

Group C

1. Italy

2. Holland

3. France

4. Romania

Group D

1. Spain

2. Sweden

3. Russia

4. Greece

Quarter-Finals

Czech Rep 2-1 Croatia

Germany 2-1 Portugal

Italy 1-1 Sweden (Italy on pens

Spain 1-2 Holland

Semi-Finals

Czech Rep 2-1 Germany

Italy 1-2 Holland

Final

Czech Rep 2-1 Holland :)

Be honest John. This is just because Czech women are some of the hottest on the planet, isn't it? ;)

Charlie-Brown

Too much information on this thread - you guys are polluting my 'blank canvass' for europe 2008 - just now i'm not even sure who is in each group except the france & italy group but you guys are giving the game away and the draws / seeding all the way to the final, must drink some more to forget these posts. :laugh:

The Old Tolbooth
Be honest John. This is just because Czech women are some of the hottest on the planet, isn't it? ;)

Bugger, I've been rumbled :dribble:

I must admit that if Scotland are not in a tourny (which is the norm these days) then I always shout on the Czechs for some reason (probably described above) :D

shaun.lawson
Bugger, I've been rumbled :dribble:

I must admit that if Scotland are not in a tourny (which is the norm these days) then I always shout on the Czechs for some reason (probably described above) :D

I certainly know where you're coming from!

Shaun's international league table of top totty:

1. Czech Republic

2. Ukraine

3. Sweden

4. Brazil

5. Italy

:)

The Old Tolbooth
I certainly know where you're coming from!

Shaun's international league table of top totty:

1. Czech Republic

2. Ukraine

3. Sweden

4. Brazil

5. Italy

:)

Oooh, now this is an entirely new comp altogether that I really like :D

I'll go for

1. Czech Republic (you have fine taste sir ;))

2. Poland (very close second)

3. Brazil

4. Sweden

5. Germany

Group A

1. Portugal

2. Czech Republic

3. Switzerland

4. Turkey

Group B

1. Germany

2. Croatia

3. Poland

4. Austria

Group C

1. Italy

2. Holland

3. Romania

4. France

Group D

1. Spain

2. Russia

3. Sweden

4. Greece

Quarter-Finals

Portugal 1-1 Croatia (Croatia to win on penalties)

Germany 2-1 Czech Republic

Italy 2-1 Russia

Spain 3-2 Holland

Semi-Finals

Croatia 2-1 Germany

Italy 1-0 Spain

Final

Italy 3-2 Croatia

If only.

Archived