Train strike - who's at it?

blairdin

John Findlay

Is that the end of the strikes now?

Possibly not. There may be strikes on Sunday 24th and Sunday the 31st of July. If this gets confirmed I will post a confirmation asap.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jambo 4 Ever

Possibly not. There may be strikes on Sunday 24th and Sunday the 31st of July. If this gets confirmed I will post a confirmation asap.

Thanks!

I got a late night train back from Inverkeithing last year.

3 guys got on after me,an empty carriage with seats everywhere and two of the guys sat right opposite facing me while the other one was out of my site but right behind me.

I felt so uncomfortable about the way they were acting and how loud and aggresive they were towards me.

The two facing me kept looking at the one behind me and I did think at one stage I was going to be attacked.

They wanted to shout,ask questions and get me into conversations I did not want.

I just wanted a quite journey home and they crowded me.

The guy checking the tickets seemed to realise I was not happy and hung around the carriage for most of the journey.

I thanked him when I got off.

I hope all trains continue to have someone keeping an eye on behaviour like that.

Jambo 4 Ever

Strikes next two Sunday's

Looks like these are now confirmed - cheers guys!

I'm glad it is not on a week day or when Hearts are playing!!

Is this likely to be the last of them?

John Findlay

Looks like these are now confirmed - cheers guys!

I'm glad it is not on a week day or when Hearts are playing!!

Is this likely to be the last of them?

At the moment I would say no.

People working on the railway need to be supported here

What about the commuters whose careers are affected? They are the ones paying for the wages of the rail staff.

This is one of the reasons I drive to work and wouldn't consider a role further away.

Jambo 4 Ever

What about the commuters whose careers are affected? They are the ones paying for the wages of the rail staff.

Indeed

This is one of the reasons I drive to work and wouldn't consider a role further away.

I'm sure most have solidarity with their fellow workers. It's inconvenient but arguably for the greater good.

As an aside, I'd nationalise the railways. Too important to be in the hands of profiteers.

John Findlay

I'm sure most have solidarity with their fellow workers. It's inconvenient but arguably for the greater good.

As an aside, I'd nationalise the railways. Too important to be in the hands of profiteers.

Also to important to be at the mercy of unions. Getting a balance is the solution but alas to many vesTed interests on all sides.

Also to important to be at the mercy of unions. Getting a balance is the solution but alas to many vesTed interests on all sides.

I don't disagree with you. That's why I'm pro nationalisation.

C'mon John, it's not the 70's, no one goes on strike for a giggle.

One thing I do wonder is if this was mentioned during the tendering process. Could you imagine the seethe if this had come from a Westminster awarded contract from the people who did sign it off.....

I would also suggest that if they get their way on DOO then we are only one small step away from fully automated trains. The profits will be worth more than the compensation paid to the occasional pleb who gets seriously injured.

I'm no leftie but I'm with Boris on this one. I'd bring back British Rail.

Fully automated trains are already planned for Scotland.

On the strike stuff though, if this is really all about safety and Scotrail are simply complying with current operating guidelines as published by the regulator, why isn't this a national strike?

On the strike stuff though, if this is really all about safety and Scotrail are simply complying with current operating guidelines as published by the regulator, why isn't this a national strike?

The guidelines will be a minimum standard required and we no longer have a national operator.

An industrial dispute can only be between employer and employees (especially true if the employer is doing something they don't HAVE to do)

John Findlay

It isn't a national strike as there has not been a national.railway since I 1996. British Rail ceased to exist from that year. If the railways were to be re-nationalised as some advocate. Then there is every chance this would be a national strike.

I'll rephrase the question - with most franchise operators already operating DOO trains, why aren't workers on all franchises striking?

It isn't a national strike as there has not been a national.railway since I 1996. British Rail ceased to exist from that year. If the railways were to be re-nationalised as some advocate. Then there is every chance this would be a national strike.

If the railways were nationalised, one would hope that we wouldn't be at the point of even discussing a strike!

Railways for the people, not for shareholders dividends.

If the railways were nationalised, one would hope that we wouldn't be at the point of even discussing a strike!

Would that not simply put them in the same bracket as other Public Sector workers like Civil Servants and Teachers?  You don't see them striking, right enough.

I am with you on the nationalisation bit for examples like the East Coast line to London, which was profitable in public hands yet still got sold off.

Would that not simply put them in the same bracket as other Public Sector workers like Civil Servants and Teachers?  You don't see them striking, right enough.

I am with you on the nationalisation bit for examples like the East Coast line to London, which was profitable in public hands yet still got sold off.

That is where Govt has to be responsible too.  It's not about workers not being able to strike, it is a balance and conversation between management and workers to get what's best.

John Findlay

Boris old British Rail had more strikes than Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo and, Messi put together. History does not bode well here.

John Findlay

That is where Govt has to be responsible too. It's not about workers not being able to strike, it is a balance and conversation between management and workers to get what's best.

That's the problem. The current strike the two parties are not in the same room. Conversation/negotiations are being conducted through an ACAS intermediary. In this day and age that's a nonsense. Both to blame. But both more interested than blaming each other instead of resolving. Not an adult amongst them.

John Findlay

I'll rephrase the question - with most franchise operators already operating DOO trains, why aren't workers on all franchises striking?

Good question. You would have to ask management and workers of all franchises individually for an answer.

Boris old British Rail had more strikes than Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo and, Messi put together. History does not bode well here.

Times have changed somewhat, John.  TU's don't have the same power that they used to, rightly, or wrongly.

John Findlay

Times have changed somewhat, John. TU's don't have the same power that they used to, rightly, or wrongly.

No they don't. Some unions have more clout than others in their industry. RMT and ASLEF being two in the rail industry.

Aslef(drivers union) keeping their powder dry. For now.

Good question. You would have to ask management and workers of all franchises individually for an answer.

We're not far off that though are we. We currently have Southern, GWR, Scotrail and Northern in dispute. Possibly even TPE. The former 3 have had strikes in the last 12 months with 2 of them ongoing

No they don't. Some unions have more clout than others in their industry. RMT and ASLEF being two in the rail industry.

Aslef(drivers union) keeping their powder dry. For now.

Big rumour they are the next ones out.

John Findlay

Bumped.

To remind all that Sunday 24.07.16 is a conductor's strike day on Scotrail train services. Check on Scotrail website before buying a ticket tomorrow. As it is a reduced timetable due to the strike action.

Bumped.

To remind all that Sunday 24.07.16 is a conductor's strike day on Scotrail train services. Check on Scotrail website before buying a ticket tomorrow. As it is a reduced timetable due to the strike action.

. Bugger...

Jambo 4 Ever

Bumped.

Thanks for the reminder... Apart from next

Sunday, are there any more proposed strike days do you know?

John Findlay

Thanks for the reminder... Apart from next

Sunday, are there any more proposed strike days do you know?

Not that I know of. If it changes I will post here.

Looks like there is unrest at Virgin on the East Coast mainline now.

Jambo 4 Ever

Not that I know of. If it changes I will post here.

Great thanks!

Even if you hear of possible dates that are not confirmed yet, please let us know... As it helps with planning.

Are there more talks scheduled?

William H. Bonney

Looks like there is unrest at Virgin on the East Coast mainline now.

That's an understatement. Ballot papers are being sent out.

That's an understatement. Ballot papers are being sent out.

I know, but that's all it is at the moment. Long way to go before any strike dates can even get called if it goes that way.

William H. Bonney

I know, but that's all it is at the moment. Long way to go before any strike dates can even get called if it goes that way.

Definitely. Not a happy place to work right now.

Definitely. Not a happy place to work right now.

Sounds like you're involved. Solidarity from Paddington no1 Branch.

Carl Spackler

Ticketing in Scottish stations is often a joke. The machines often don't work at Stations and only main stations have barriers. So you end up with ticket collectors and queues to get off the platform whilst tickets are sold. BTW I have nothing against ticket collectors, they are always pleasant, just the system that's often a joke for me.

So sort the ticketing out, go to a model of fining those without tickets. Improve the quality/number of ticket machines and add a few more barriers. The guard can be the occasional watch.

Get rid of the ticket collector role and train them up to guards.

Driver and guard on every train.

Safety up, commuter convenience up.

Does that work?

John Findlay

Ticketing in Scottish stations is often a joke. The machines often don't work at Stations and only main stations have barriers. So you end up with ticket collectors and queues to get off the platform whilst tickets are sold. BTW I have nothing against ticket collectors, they are always pleasant, just the system that's often a joke for me.

So sort the ticketing out, go to a model of fining those without tickets. Improve the quality/number of ticket machines and add a few more barriers. The guard can be the occasional watch.

Get rid of the ticket collector role and train them up to guards.

Driver and guard on every train.

Safety up, commuter convenience up.

Does that work?

I only snag is train companies don't want to pay the extra in salaries this would cause.

I only snag is train companies don't want to pay the extra in salaries this would cause.

Spot on, but they're happy to pay a TE ?22k pa basic plus ?100+ in commission each day. Can't see the woods for the trees!

William H. Bonney

Spot on, but they're happy to pay a TE ?22k pa basic plus ?100+ in commission each day. Can't see the woods for the trees!

Didn't realise ticket examiner's got commission too. 5% I assume?

Didn't realise ticket examiner's got commission too. 5% I assume?

It may vary from TOC to TOC. But yes, 5% at GWR where they hide round corners and sell tickets (instead of being on the trains they should be on). They can easily do ?50k+ pa.

I got on the train at Haymarket on Sunday Should have went from and returned to Gyle as seen no one checking tickets... ! Saved ?4.50.

It may vary from TOC to TOC. But yes, 5% at GWR where they hide round corners and sell tickets (instead of being on the trains they should be on). They can easily do ?50k+ pa.

Supported the strikes full heartedly. But totally disagree with the earnings figures in your last two posts. Not realistic for the strike affected areas im afraid.

Supported the strikes full heartedly. But totally disagree with the earnings figures in your last two posts. Not realistic for the strike affected areas im afraid.

Ticket examiners for scotrail get 2% and get no where near 50k a year

Might be different down in London area as ironjambo talks about

I agree. For a job with no responsibility they should be making no more than ?30k.

Ticket examiner's aren't anything to do with the strike and your support isn't misplaced. They may well be on strike for the cause, but i wouldn't know as I don't know how wide the ballot was. They were certainly on strike at GWR with our fight, even if most scabbed from the 2nd round of strikes.

Jaap's Sigh

Ticket examiners for scotrail get 2% and get no where near 50k a year

Might be different down in London area as ironjambo talks about

They actually get 3% but earn nowhere near 50K even with commission.

Archived