Vardy

gashauskis9

swanseajack

At a wild guess, his agent has chucked this out there hoping for a quick "improved" deal at Leicester...

Might sound cynical but...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Real Maroonblood

If he wants to win the title again in his career, Arsenal is not the place to go.

Arsenal's style of play hasn't changed much in years and I don't think it would suit Vardy.

They have ruined better players than him such as Ozil.

You forgot to add Henry and Fabregas.

Ha! Ha!

luckyBatistuta

Would he fit in with Arsenal's tactic of farting around on the edge of the box trying to remember how to fire in shots?

First thing I thought of too, when I read the OP

Money can't buy what he has right now. Move to an also ran and he will regret it.

So he shouldn't sign for Arsenal, because you don't like them.

kingantti1874

I don't think he'd suit Arsenal, he likes to play in the shoulder .. Counter attack .. Arsenal play too high and have too much possession.

Rudolf's Mate

At a wild guess, his agent has chucked this out there hoping for a quick "improved" deal at Leicester...

Might sound cynical but...

I'd say more stupidity than cynical. If it was the agent it would likely be ruins he'd by one or both clubs. He signed a deal a couple of months ago and it would have no doubt included winning the EPL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bazzas right boot

An Englishman moving to London, will never catch on.

Nookie Bear

The point I was making was that the two players are similar in that they chase lost causes anyways where has vardy been he is 28 or 29 years old what has he done except this season. I think Kenny miller has had a great career down south and winning titles with rangers as well as a good international career as much as I don't like him being a former hibs player vardy would do well to have had as good a career as miller.

When was the last time Miller won a title with rangers?

You clearly know your rangers better than most...

Totally wrong player for Arsenal, he is not suited to a team dominating the ball. He is suited to a quick counter

Weird signing if it goes through

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Bungalow Bill

A great move financially but I reckon there is every chance Vardy could be looking for a loan move come Christmas.

I'm not convinced Wenger will adapt the team to play to Vardy's strengths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caspian Primrose

He should look after number one and sign for the team that pays him the most money.

You're right, he should look after number one...and stay at Leicester.

Would be a good signing for Arsenal. Playing strikers with pace and power needed in the prem and Giroud isn't good enough.

Staying at Leicester would be a huge mistake.

They'll be mid-table next year.

Vardy's 29. One long term contract at a huge global brand like Arsenal will pay for his retirement plans.

Do his retirement plans involve buying a small African country or something?

He's getting ?80k a WEEK at the moment ffs!!! More than twice the average ANNUAL salary in the UK!!

?4m a year!!!

If he manages to save only half of that over the next 4-5 years he'll never have to work after he retires and can live the remainder of his life in total luxury. 

BangkokHearts

Maybe he is bored with having to grovel on the floor on his knees in front of the owners?

Staying at Leicester would be a huge mistake.

They'll be mid-table next year.

Vardy's 29. One long term contract at a huge global brand like Arsenal will pay for his retirement plans.

Sad, but true.

We have been in similar positions ourselves when predators have circled over our best players.

The reality is though that these guys have to take whatever opportunities become available.

It's a food chain thing, and neither Hearts nor Leicester are anywhere near the top.

Jambof3tornado

He's getting ?80k a WEEK at the moment ffs!!! More than twice the average ANNUAL salary in the UK!!

?4m a year!!!

If he manages to save only half of that over the next 4-5 years he'll never have to work after he retires and can live the remainder of his life in total luxury.

He's already set up some sort of academy I think. Not sure how it's funded etc.

chester copperpot

Maybe he is bored with having to grovel on the floor on his knees in front of the owners?

We get it. You don't like the owners!

I don't rate vardy he has had one great season he is a hard worker he is similar to kenny miller.

:cornette:

In fact, here have another

I get all the points on here but Arsenal are a big, historical club and for Vardy it would be a fantastic memory and great story for him to look back on.

Arsenal could become champions at any time in the near future if things click, change manager etc...they obviously have the infrastructure and finance to stay at the top end of the game.

As for Leicester, it still remains a fairytale story.

Until they prove they can stay at the top end of the game over a long period, no one will be convinced as yet that picking them over clubs like Arsenal is the right choice.

However, people will say he should stay and help them achieve those long term goals. It's a toughie.

heartsdaft101

Can anyone clarify this for me: what does the release clause mean in this context?

No one should blame Vardy for moving as this is his last chance to earn a big contract and signing on fee etc.

Whether this a good move for Arsenal is open to question.........Will he fit in to their style of play, is he really a the top level as a striker ?

Leicester are now going see the down side of shocking the football world as the big clubs come calling and their players are tempted by the money and fame

Rudolf's Mate

Can anyone clarify this for me: what does the release clause mean in this context?

When all parties agreed a deal there would have been a release clause in his contract. Any club meeting the release clause, which is reported to be ?20M, can effectively enter into negotiations to sign the player. Basically means the club wouldn't stand in his way if someone meets that price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Interesting one.

Going to be very tough for Arsenal next season, especially if they don't make a fast start. Don't see Wenger making it through the year tbh.

But Vardy probably won't get a better move than that. Leicester aren't going to go onto anything bigger than this so if I was him I'd be tempted to move. Champions League one way or the other (and Arsenal will go further, while true to form losing in the last 16)

The Internet

I'm hearing silly things about Leicester replacing him with Leigh Griffiths. 

fabienleclerq

We get it. You don't like the owners!

:lol:

What gives you that impression?

In fact, here have another

I'm with him on this. I think at Leicester he'll continue to be average-decent. Elsewhere he'll just wither. A bit like taking Dennis Witness out of Inverness.

Edit: I'm in no way comparing the two.

If Fletcher can survive in the EPL, Griffiths certainly can and possibly flourish to some extent.

stevie1874

Arsenal need a Moratta type striker not a Vardy.

30 million pounds of a difference

jamboinglasgow

Ranieri has confirmed that Vardy is in signing talks with Arsenal and it could be completed by Tuesday.

Must admit it is weird seeing Arsenal buy this quickly (first Xhaka now Vardy) early in the transfer window. 

I'm with him on this. I think at Leicester he'll continue to be average-decent. Elsewhere he'll just wither. A bit like taking Dennis Witness out of Inverness.

Edit: I'm in no way comparing the two.

It was the comparison to Kenny Miller that he got a couple of cornettes for.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

That would be brilliant news for us! Celtic couldn't get a better striker than Griffiths.

jamboinglasgow

I think Griffiths (and this may get me chucked out of here) is better then a lot give him credit for. He is a complete ned, but in the last season or so seems to have got his non-football side under control. He is the kind of player that a team like Leicester would like in that he could fit into their side and be a cheap undervalued replacement. Yes Celtic will look for a bit of money for him, but if you were to pay ?3m for him then thats a bargain compared to other players they may look for

Ibrahim Tall

Vardy to Arsenal is probably the perfect fit for both parties to be honest. He gets a "big move" finally in his career with all that goes with it and avoid Leicester pretty inevitable flop while Arsenal finally get a player that fits their system.

Since Henry left Wengers blindly kept basically the same tactic that requires a fast striker who scores goals despite repeatedly failing to sign one, Giroud and Bendtner were too slow and inconsistent while Walcott and Chamakh had the pace but couldn't score, it briefly worked for a while with RVP but him aside Vardy is probably the closest to Henry in terms of the basics. He's obviously not of that level but he should fit in perfectly.

The pace alone of Vardy/Sanchez/Chamberlain/Walcott/Welbeck/Iwobi/Campbell/Bellerin/Gibbs going forward would trouble any defence.

Ibrahim Tall

I think Griffiths (and this may get me chucked out of here) is better then a lot give him credit for. He is a complete ned, but in the last season or so seems to have got his non-football side under control. He is the kind of player that a team like Leicester would like in that he could fit into their side and be a cheap undervalued replacement. Yes Celtic will look for a bit of money for him, but if you were to pay ?3m for him then thats a bargain compared to other players they may look for

Not sure anyone will dispute Griffiths abilities at SPL level, he's the best striker in the league by a mile and virtually won the league last season by himself.

What is in dispute is his ability at a higher level, thus far he's done nothing in Europe against even only a half decent standard opposition and looked completely out of of his depth for Scotland.

luckyBatistuta

I agree with you, but the most important thing is...does Griffiths believe he is good enough at that level.

Eh....hold on French manager unsettles England striker before major tournament in France.......too cynical?

Lol. Wenger probably couldn't give two shits about international football but I could be wrong.

Not sure anyone will dispute Griffiths abilities at SPL level, he's the best striker in the league by a mile and virtually won the league last season by himself.

What is in dispute is his ability at a higher level, thus far he's done nothing in Europe against even only a half decent standard opposition and looked completely out of of his depth for Scotland.

correct. Griffiths general game doesn't look strong enough and some players just feel at home in the SPL.

He'd be up against much much stronger teams week in week out and that's the difference.

Ibrahim Tall

correct. Griffiths general game doesn't look strong enough and some players just feel at home in the SPL.

He'd be up against much much stronger teams week in week out and that's the difference.

Kris Boyds another example, Griffiths has slightly more to his game but it's debatable it's enough to achieve more above SPL level.

?4m a year!!!

He quite clearly can't save half of it. Tax and NI will take at least 47% of it!

Tommy Brown

I am all for release clauses in contracts, but very surprised at how low this one was (?20m is not a lot in the EPL market).

Some posters have noted that he was given a recent hike in salary. Sounds more to get them the title rather than sell in the window.

Surprised no other clubs have jumped in to get him, which won't help Leicester any as ?20m is all they will still get. But other clubs could then really start the wage negotiations going mental.

Disappointed for Leicester fans all the same.

29 years old and just broke into the England team and showed already he can score at that level, ?20m is a bloody steal.

Michael_Jackson

Disappointed for Leicester fans all the same.

I can't say I do. Just won the league and champions league football to look forward to as well as the tens of millions they will spend on players.

Bazzas right boot

He quite clearly can't save half of it. Tax and NI will take at least 47% of it!

Poor we devil left with only about ?40k after tax, per week, before bonus's and endorsements, dunno how he will manage tbh.

He might be able  top up with tax credits tho, might see him through.

Poor we devil left with only about ?40k after tax, per week, before bonus's and endorsements, dunno how he will manage tbh.

He might be able top up with tax credits tho, might see him through.

I've not got any sympathy for him. Just pointing out that he physically cannot save half his wages.

I've not got any sympathy for him. Just pointing out that he physically cannot save half his wages.

By your reckoning, out of his ?4m salary he would be paying 47% in tax and NI (in fact it's slightly less than that)...that is, by my reckoning, ?1.88m. He saves ?2m (half of his gross salary) so he's left with ?112k to live on. So he quite clearly CAN save half of it. He would, in fact, be left with around ?2.112m take home pay

Semantics, I know, after all who could get by on ?112K pa? 

Bazzas right boot

He could, but very unlikely that he would. Add in win/ goal bonus's he would also have more than his ?80k basic.

Pretty sure when people talk in these terms they mean after deductions etc, pretty annoying to be so pedantic, I'm doing it now and I'm annoying myself. 

Archived