John Colquhoun

Rab

"If we'd won it, we wouldn't have had half the column inches, or half the amount of people talking about us, or half the amount of interviews, or half the amount of media space that we've had because of what happened.

And I would trade it all, every column inch, every interview, everything, to just get a goal with ten minutes to go at Dens Park.

No question.

Because, we deserved it."

Every time I hear him say that, it brings a tear to my eye. It reminds me why I follow Heart of Midlothian.

vegas-voss

God i would love a JC in our team now.

Everything he says about the club shows how much passion he has for the club.It's especially strange as he was an Old Firm player as every other one of them even if they only played about a game for the ugly sisters seem to use it as a way to get ahead in the journalists world.Not JC though he's a Jambo all the way.

It's funny how you can remember a player not for all the great goals they scored and JC scored alot but i'll always remember him for the one he missed against Bayern.I don't remember him in a bad way for hitting the post that night though, it was for how much it seemed to mean to him.Just like he says we deserved to win the league, he deserved the ball to go into the net against Bayern.

JC total Legend

Charlie-Brown

They were all my heroes. :) It was still possible in the eighties that you could sign a talented youngster like Colquhoun and he could spend the majority of his career in your team - nowadays 2 or 3 good seasons and they're off to the Premiership / Championship / Old Firm.

Jambosimmy

was onlt 3 in 86 but it still brings a tear to my eyes. watching fans break down like they did. my dad goes on about it and you can see the hurt in eyes. I couldnt imagine what i would be like if that happened again. finishing 2nd in 2006 was nearly enough to send me into floods but i managed to hold the tears back.

How i crave another season like that!!

Ah but JC is not a 'Hearts Man'.

... yes and no. The fact that he wasn't born a Hearts man makes his love and passion for the club now all the more commendable.

There are Hearts supporters who claim to be 'Hearts men', who don't show the desire and unconditional love for the club that JC does.

Walter Kidd

You could have fooled me Davie. Every time I've met him he absolutely adores our club.

The Future's Maroon

I was nine in '86 and I think thats the season that got me hooked....at the first time I have experienced grown men crying at a game of football, but that day was not just about football was it....something I will never forget in my life, ever.

JC - Legend.

He may not be a Jambo, but there is no questioning his passion for the club. I used to love hearing him on Scotsport when wlanker Walker and Stoater Stott were trying to slate Hearts...JC ALWAYS turned it round and never backed down!

Jambo Martin
... yes and no. The fact that he wasn't born a Hearts man makes his love and passion for the club now all the more commendable.

There are Hearts supporters who claim to be 'Hearts men', who don't show the desire and unconditional love for the club that JC does.

Best ?40,000 Hearts have ever spent!

Clark, Robbo and JC..........how many goals would they have scored in good team!

Drylaw Hearts
Best ?40,000 Hearts have ever spent!

Clark, Robbo and JC..........how many goals would they have scored in good team!

They were part of a good team.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Is that a crypted comment or a joke? I don't get it either way

Pants Shaton

Maybe a dig at those who claim you have to be Hearts 'born and bred' to be 'one of us'?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Maybe a dig at those who claim you have to be Hearts 'born and bred' to be 'one of us'?

Do you mean a proddy?

Pants Shaton
Do you mean a proddy?

No, A Hearts supporter.

No need to bring Middle Eastern mythology into it.

Jambo Martin
They were part of a good team.

I mean a really good team!

If they played with the midfield from 06 we would have won the league no problem.

"If we'd won it, we wouldn't have had half the column inches, or half the amount of people talking about us, or half the amount of interviews, or half the amount of media space that we've had because of what happened.

And I would trade it all, every column inch, every interview, everything, to just get a goal with ten minutes to go at Dens Park.

No question.

Because, we deserved it."

Every time I hear him say that, it brings a tear to my eye. It reminds me why I follow Heart of Midlothian.

That is why I will not give my money in support of this current regime,that was when Hearts were Heart of Midlothian Football Club not any more.

Hearts Heritage

JC has an absolute love for the Club but he is still a Celtic supporter. He was asked what his greatest moment in football was and he said playing his first game for Celtic.

This would exclude him in some people's eyes.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
No, A Hearts supporter.

No need to bring Middle Eastern mythology into it.

Lol. The guy's legend whatever anyone says

Dusk_Till_Dawn
JC has an absolute love for the Club but he is still a Celtic supporter. He was asked what his greatest moment in football was and he said playing his first game for Celtic.

This would exclude him in some people's eyes.

Gotcha. I don't have a problem with that. Better than players who kiss the badge for effect.

I could never really take to him after he played for the rhebels but he did a turn for us

Dusk_Till_Dawn
I could never really take to him after he played for the rhebels but he did a turn for us

Any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

Sniff sniff

FFS

your 23 years old and you say 'you never really took to him' WHY?

Hearts have not had a better winger since JC( Neil Mccann ran him close but over a shorter spell)

To make a comment on a player you more than likely didn't see play very often, given your age.

Make s you imo look abit of an ar8e!!:wacko:

Drylaw Hearts

You were only months old when he signed for us !!

I want to be the first to say................

Goodbye.

No but I remember his 2nd period all so well. I also have access to this amazing invention called a dvd player

No but I remember his 2nd period all so well. I also have access to this amazing invention called a dvd player

What DVD's does he feature in?

Drylaw Hearts

You would have been 11 by the time he'd left Hearts for the second time.

And at that point he was nowhere near the player he was in his first stint.

Pants Shaton

At best you're a wind-up merchant.

If you're for real then why not join Whitburn RSC - you'll find Ibrox much more to your taste.

So you can watch all your Rangers dvds and get a stiffie when the turds start chanting about religious beliefs they don't follow; then take an oath to a constitutional "Royal" family that gets winched out for the tourists.

Long live the republic of Great Britain.

Bye bye....

Brick Tamland
God i would love a JC in our team now.

Are you sure? He's lost a bit of pace and put on a bit weight;)

you don't happen to work with a South American football agent that Vlad's in tow with? :confused:

Greenbank2

JC is a Tynecastle legend. Period. He has always talked about Hearts with

warmth and refuses to be dragged into the sensationalist gutter commentary

spouted by his so-called peers.

I recall one of his finest performances being the first match of the Souness

era where we played them at home in the first Rangers match of '86-'87.

Souness's cynical tactics that day were "stop JC and you stop hearts". They had

6 men booked that day, all for cything tackles on the wee man.

A 1-all draw by the way.

superhearts51

What a fa**y you are, Jc was a great player for us who constanly sticks up for us when everyone else is slating us. He cleary still loves the club

The People's Chimp

I didn't think they had dvd players in middle earth.

colinmaroon
I didn't think they had dvd players in middle earth.

I take exception to that slur on the good folks of Middle Earth!!!

Unless your talking about Sauron and the Evil Tower of BroxPox!!!

Absolutely.

Jhohn Cholquhoun.

;)

Stupid comment. Don't remember John Colquhoun moving to Celtic and pumping his chest after leaving us, maybe someone can explain the parallel here? I might've forgotten something, admittedly. Or maybe it's just easier to deliberately attempt to distort an argument than it is to discredit it.

I've reported you to my moderator chums for trolling.

Either way, I was a bit young to fully appreciate Colquhoun when we had him, but everything that I've heard about him from older fans and everything that I've seen from him in the media endears the guy to me.

Edit : By "older", what I obviously mean's "older than me". I'm not saying that you have to be old to remember John Colquhoun.

What an absolute load of tripe!

John Colquhoun was a great servant to Hearts as a player and has been a great friend to Hearts and their fans since he retired from playing.

Back from the Brink?

Where did you get your DVD copy?

I've only got it on VHS.

27_b.jpgJohn Colquhoun - Tynecastle Legend

Since the recent influx of wingers to Tynecastle, there has been much debate amongst Hearts fans over just who is the best player of that position to have graced the famous maroon and white. There have been many strong candidates in the past 30 years or so, with the likes of Neil McCann, Eamonn Bannon and Allan Johnston all being touted by many fans, but one name more than any other stands out from the rest........John Colquhoun.Originally signed by Alex MacDonald in the mid '80s from Celtic after a supposed approach for Davie Provan had been knocked back, Colquhoun went on to become one of the most feared wingers in Scottish Football for the best part of a decade. My earliest memory of him was his spectacular volleyed winner at Hampden against Dundee United in the 1986 Scottish Cup semi-final. This was the sort of the goal that would go on to become Colquhoun's trademark: spectacular and crucial.

Instantly recognisable on the field with his shirt tucked in at the front but out at the back (he's the only player I've ever seen doing this) and his impossibly bandy legs, Colquhoun was never given the credit he deserved as an all-round footballer in my opinion. Despite being classed as a winger, he was actually a very potent goalscorer too and would rarely fail to reach double-figures in a season. Sadly, like many other Hearts players in his generation, international recognition was not what it should have been and he was only ever capped once, coming on as a substitute in a friendly against Saudi Arabia. Scotland were crying out for a decent player in his position at the time, but he clearly suffered from 'I don't play for the Old Firm or in England'-syndrome and was all too often overlooked, which was a shame.

After leaving Hearts to sample football in England in the early '90s, JC returned to Edinburgh in 1993 when Sandy Clark took over as Tynecastle boss. Colquhoun had struggled to make an impact during spells with Millwall and Sunderland and some fans were sceptical about Clark taking him back at the age of 30, particularly as spending most of his career being kicked up and down by full-backs was bound to have taken its toll on him. However although it's true that some pace had been lost, JC turned out to be a success at Hearts the second time round. He was most effective when Jim Jefferies took over, when he was deployed more as an out-and-out striker and his cleverness complemented the predatory instincts of Robbo and pace of Alan Lawrence. I'm sure he was also of great help to the young winger Allan Johnston at that time and the two of them excelled on a cold January afternoon at Ibrox in 1996, when Hearts won 3-0 with Johnston scoring a hat-trick. Colquhoun also helped Hearts to reach the Scottish Cup Final that season and indeed scored a cracking goal in the final against Rangers, but we won't dwell too much on that particular match!

For me John Colquhoun is the best winger Hearts have had since '86. I think we've had more talented and probably quicker players in that position, but for sheer consistency and all round contribution it's got to be him. It's all about opinions of course, but I've included some of my favourite JC moments to help convince any of you non-believers...................

1) A raking 30-yarder into the top corner of Celtic's net at Tynecastle when top of the league in the '87-88 season. Billy McNeill famously called it a 'fluke' - he always was a good loser!

2) A devastating performance against Motherwell in the Scottish Cup at Tynie at the end of his first spell at Hearts. We won 4-0 and he scored twice, one of them a run from the half-way line where he beat three men, rounded the keeper and rolled it in..........magic!

3) Battling relegation under Sandy Clark, we went to Easter Road and won 2-0 with JC scoring both. The first of these was an amazing 30 yard lob over Jim Leighton at the Dunbar End..........

4) The late winner against defending league champions Aberdeen at Pittodrie in '86.......we thought that would win us the league............the celebrations in that beach end were unbelievable!

5) Late equaliser that same season against the same opposition at Tynecastle to cancel out a ludicrously awarded penalty...........we thought THAT would win us the league........!

6) A brilliant hat-trick against St Mirren at Love Street in a 6-0 win there in '87/88. Probably the coldest I've ever been at a football match!

7) Not many will remember this, but a late winner at Pittodrie in the mid-'90s.......wearing the Inter Milan-style strip. Long ball over the top bounced up and he feigned to shoot.......two defenders bought the dummy and when it sat up again he lashed it in the corner.......get in there!

8) Another late winner, this time against Motherwell in a Scottish Cup quarter-final replay at Fir Park in '87 I think. Huge crowd was there that night in shocking conditions....we'd struggled all night but Colquhoun scored a rare header to put us through five minutes from time.

9) Late equaliser against Rangers on a wet Wednesday night at Tynecastle in '93/'94. 2-0 down at half-time, Mackay scored to put us back in it and then late on, Robbo fired over a low cross and JC bulleted a diving header in at the back post to spark wild celebrations. To celebrate he ran over to the Shed and slid on his knees and just about went right into the corner flag on the soaking turf!

10) His performances against Bayern Munich, particularly in the Olympic Stadium. Although he missed good chances to put us through, the way he created openings for himself and generally ran a class defence ragged was magnificent.

Paisley Jambo
That is why I will not give my money in support of this current regime,that was when Hearts were Heart of Midlothian Football Club not any more.

Spot on! I will still make the trip through but nowhere near as often as in the past.

I don`t expect a player to wholeheartly change his allegiance. I think it`s possible to play for a rival team and grow tremendous affection.

I know if i was ever lucky enough to play pro but not for Hearts, i`d still be a Hearts fan at the end of my playing days even if i`d played for another team for quite a long time and grew affection for that team.

Steve Fulton i`d guess is similar to JC.

And JC is one of my all time favs. Fantastic winger.

Captain America

Jc is a Hearts legend, i am too young to remember his 1st stint but even in his 2nd thought he was a Hearts gr8. I don't care who he supported as a boy same with Hartley, he was a Hearts legend in his time here.

Might dig out my copy of "back to the brink" and watch tonight.

Archived