AN AUDIENCE WITH ALEX YOUNG

Archie White

Archie White

Tonight, as part of Leith Festival, it was billed as a talk on Mike Buckle's book, Hearts Greatest Ever Season 1957-58 - but Mike, ever the gentleman, took a back seat as it instead became an Audience With The Golden Vision. Well prompted by Scott Wilson who chaired the proceedings, after an understandably nervous first few words in front of the mike from Alex, he settled into the proceedings and lifted the lid on some fantastic stories from Hearts greatest era.

How the 57/8 players just went out and steamrollered the opposition; how Mackay feared no-one and was their driving force against the old firm especially; how Johnny Harvey was the man manager behind the scenes and would rough him up in the toilets before big games to get Alex bouncing onto the pitch; how the players reacted to Tommy Walker's request for an "old time sing-song" on the team bus away trips by throwing paper balls at his head; how he scored 4 goals and not the 3 as given against the Hibs on New Years Day 1960; his thoughts on the current team; how he never wanted to leave Tynecastle; Harry Catterick's dislike of Scots; the "goodwill" he felt from the terraces that helped motivate him; his disappointment that he never had the opportunity to become the coach he wanted to be...

What a great treasure trove of memories from a golden (and lost) era by a true Legend - and a lovely man. His autobiography due out soon should be a terrific read.

...and I got my photae taken with him too!

Tonight, as part of Leith Festival, it was billed as a talk on Mike Buckle's book, Hearts Greatest Ever Season 1957-58 - but Mike, ever the gentleman, took a back seat as it instead became an Audience With The Golden Vision. Well prompted by Scott Wilson who chaired the proceedings, after an understandably nervous first few words in front of the mike from Alex, he settled into the proceedings and lifted the lid on some fantastic stories from Hearts greatest era.

How the 57/8 players just went out and steamrollered the opposition; how Mackay feared no-one and was their driving force against the old firm especially; how Johnny Harvey was the man manager behind the scenes and would rough him up in the toilets before big games to get Alex bouncing onto the pitch; how the players reacted to Tommy Walker's request for an "old time sing-song" on the team bus away trips by throwing paper balls at his head; how he scored 4 goals and not the 3 as given against the Hibs on New Years Day 1960; his thoughts on the current team; how he never wanted to leave Tynecastle; Harry Catterick's dislike of Scots; the "goodwill" he felt from the terraces that helped motivate him; his disappointment that he never had the opportunity to become the coach he wanted to be...

What a great treasure trove of memories from a golden (and lost) era by a true Legend - and a lovely man. His autobiography due out soon should be a terrific read.

...and I got my photae taken with him too!

wish i'd known about it,

always nice to hear about those heady days from fearless hearts players who couldnt give a monkeys about the o.f.

Csaba's Broon Shoes

It would be something special if the federation of Hearts supporters clubs

could organise several nights of '' An Audence With '' ex Jambo Legends in

the Gorgie Suite with proceeds going to Hearts Youth Development n Charity

for sure they would be massive fund raisers and big money spinners

not to mention the tales of the unexpected being revealed

Young , Glidden , MacKay , etc etc I could name dozens more

who helped to produce in the old Hampden roar . You must get the picture

Robbos Right Peg

Thanks to all that turned up also to Scott Wilson and Buffalo Bill for their contributons. Over a couple of glasses of wine Alex said how much he enjoyed the opportunity to 'have a wee blether' Absolute great guy

Dr. Bapswent
Thanks to all that turned up also to Scott Wilson and Buffalo Bill for their contributons. Over a couple of glasses of wine Alex said how much he enjoyed the opportunity to 'have a wee blether' Absolute great guy

What contribution?

His blatant sales pitch?

;)

Robbos Right Peg
What contribution?

His blatant sales pitch?

;)

He was very good at it though Might get him to publicise my next book :)

Dr. Bapswent

Ha Ha..

Black and White publishers you say............very good.

Cheers for last night.

Archie White

Ah - so there IS going to be a "next book"! ;)

I've had the pleasure of meeting Alex too, like the rest of you, i found him a very unassumming guy, and a 'gentleman.' When will we see his likes again..

Dr. Bapswent
I've had the pleasure of meeting Alex too, like the rest of you, i found him a very unassumming guy, and a 'gentleman.' When will we see his likes again..

He is a living embodiment of what the club lacks and needs right now.

A really good night, wasnt sure what to expect but Alex Young was an excelllent turn with his tales and unassumming manner he had a wee laugh when one of the older members of the audience suggest he had been a wee bit lightweight on one occassion during a game, interesting take on the golden vision nickname which he was unsure about the merit of.

Scott jollied it along and BB sat patently then seized his chance to display an anorack level of knowledge well done that man. Also well done the whole top table as I do a bit of public speaking it can be quite daunting and the whole thing was delivered with aplomb,I did like Mikes Kenny Ritchie joke.

Mike with the launch of the paperback would it not be possible to do it again at a venue in the west of the city, perhaps a longer event with other players and maybe even an older fan or two to relive what you rightly describe as Hearts greatest ever season

I met a strange guy on the bus this morning who just happeed to be there last night; he said it was excellent and was clearly taken with Alex Young.

Wish I'd been there!

John Findlay

Had the pleasure of meeting the man himself at the Manchester Hearts POTY dance held at Goodison Park in the Alex Young suite at the end of the 2004/5 season.

John

Dr. Bapswent
I met a strange guy on the bus this morning who just happeed to be there last night; he said it was excellent and was clearly taken with Alex Young.

Wish I'd been there!

I think I know the guy you mean.

He's a totally top bloke.

You should probably buy him a pint to show how much you appreciate him.

Robbos Right Peg

Mike with the launch of the paperback would it not be possible to do it again at a venue in the west of the city, perhaps a longer event with other players and maybe even an older fan or two to relive what you rightly describe as Hearts greatest ever season

It was something that was suggested last night by the publishers of the book. There were a lot of stories that went untold due to the time constraint so you never know.

It was a really enjoyable evening and I was also absolutely 'taken' with Alex Young! What a gent he is. It got me wondering about modern day players and whether or not they would ever consider sitting with a group of fans like that, simply to talk with them about the club they support. When I spoke with him briefly at the end, he seemed genuinely thrilled that people wanted to hear his stories about the past. He actually even said that if time had allowed it, he would have enjoyed nothing more than having a few drinks and telling us more! I would have bitten his arm off for the chance.

As for 'that' season...I'm really looking forward to reading the book RRP, remember to keep us all posted on its availability. :)

Legend real fighter for the ball.

My favourite player those days even though it was difficult to have one then......so much talent...real badge lovers.

Alex was the man.

he was my late father's favourite player andwhen you consider the team of that era NUFF SAID!!!!:)

Archived