Boaty McBoatface Shunned

Norm

The public have been over ruled and, despite overwhelming support, the new UK research vessel is being named the RRS Sir David Attenborough.

In a move to appease the public though, there is a submarine on board the new RRS Sir David Attenborough which will receive the moniker RRS Boaty McBoatface.

I'm a bit disappointed with that but it was to be expected. They were never calling it Boaty.

MrRobbo10

Good.

The public can appeal the decision at the next general election by voting for Votey mcVoteface

Stuart Lyon

There is a new petition to get Sir David to change this name by deed poll to RRS Boaty McBoatface!

AlphonseCapone

First Tories in Scotland and now this....democracy is dead to me.

punkrockcroc

First Tories in Scotland and now this....democracy is dead to me.

I agree mate what waste of time that was giving the public the chance to name the ship in the first place,who'd have thought the public would come up wi such a daft name

All roads lead to Gorgie

Can Boaty still get in on the list vote ?

The Mighty Thor

Good.

Sometimes the public need to be over-ruled. Collective stupidity is not to be encouraged.

Actually anyone who thought calling a vessel Boaty mc Boatface was either funny or cool should really be sterilised to preserve the integrity of the gene pool.

Good.

Sometimes the public need to be over-ruled. Collective stupidity is not to be encouraged.

Actually anyone who thought calling a vessel Boaty mc Boatface was either funny or cool should really be sterilised to preserve the integrity of the gene pool.

To be fair, naming a boat anything is a bit daft. Like naming your car. It's a ****ing inanimate object.

Say What Again

Good.

Didn't realise there was a list of acceptable names for a hunk of metal :lol:

Pans Jambo

What a bunch of Bar Stewards!

The Tories as well whilst we are at it.

Didn't realise there was a list of acceptable names for a hunk of metal :lol:

Exactly. It's a bloody boat.

The issue I have is in having a public vote and then saying "Nah, we don't like it". Name your own bloody boat.

Exactly. It's a bloody boat.

The issue I have is in having a public vote and then saying "Nah, we don't like it". Name your own bloody boat.

This.

The public have spoken! Except we don't like what they said so we're going to call it what we want anyway. Fascists. :lol:

Seymour M Hersh

Some DJ or that, suggested it as a joke on Twitter I believe.

Tried to retract it, but it was too late, and he then just went along with it.

Thanks I was wondering if officialdom had put it up amongst 4 or 5 other options to show themselves as fun loving dudes then rued the day.

Apparently they have unmanned submarines on this ship. One is to be called Boaty McBoatface.

So I was told in the pub last night.

Apparently they have unmanned submarines on this ship. One is to be called Boaty McBoatface.

Mentioned in the OP.

Did the original poll say the boat would be named the most popular choice or just asked for suggestions.

If the former then it's an absolute disgrace and heads should roll.

Biffa Bacon

Apparently Attenborough voted for himself.... 90 years old ....and his puss is never off the telly, he should have retired 25 years ago, he has had enough taxpayers money.

Boaty Mcboatface.... the public has spoken.

Did the original poll say the boat would be named the most popular choice or just asked for suggestions.

I think there was always a caveat that the panel would make the final decision.

So basically, they were too ****ing lazy to think of their own name.

Big Slim Stylee

Surely should have been Subby McSubface?

Mac_fae_Gillie

The public also voted for Donald Trump...just saying over ruling the public sometimes not a bad idea.

Victorian

:vrface:

There are lots and lots of things that happen and decisions that are made that can reasonably be described as a disgrace, but a fairly sensible decision to reject a stupid name for a ship is not one of them.

Disgrace my arse.

John Findlay

Should have been called the Red Plum. Which was the nickname for HMS Endurance.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

:rofl:

The only people who deserve to die are the sad ***** who thought the funny name was funny. It's a vastly expensive ship FFS. Why should it carry a name thought up by some nonce with no life?

The only people who deserve to die are the sad ***** who thought the funny name was funny. It's a vastly expensive ship FFS. Why should it carry a name thought up by some nonce with no life?

Because there were more nonces with no life, who cared enough to click a button, than all the other people who apparently do have a life, to click on a button of all the other options, added together?

I didn't vote but I think they might have missed the boat (shite pun entirely intended) with this one. Those interested in this stuff would follow the results of the experiments anyway. Regardless of the name.

I'd wager the vast majority of the Boaty McBoatface fans wouldn't normally have given a shit but would be more likely to stay tuned to the ships voyages if they'd won.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Because there were more nonces with no life, who cared enough to click a button, than all the other people who apparently do have a life, to click on a button of all the other options, added together?

I didn't vote but I think they might have missed the boat (shite pun entirely intended) with this one. Those interested in this stuff would follow the results of the experiments anyway. Regardless of the name.

I'd wager the vast majority of the Boaty McBoatface fans wouldn't normally have given a shit but would be more likely to stay tuned to the ships voyages if they'd won.

You are not serious.

You are not serious.

You don't think "Boaty McBoatface returns from maiden voyage" would get more press exposure than "RRS Sir David Attenborough returns from maiden voyage"?

That's a shame. Although a silly name, it was well covered by the news and got folk talking about it. They should've gone with it. It would've been a renown boat.

Archived