U20s v Dundee

Chaps

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gene Parmesan

I just find it unprofessional. Having watched these young lads play I'm not sure the message of how important it is to perform every game and leave nothing out there is getting across. Some of them are playing for their futures and find a 16 year old striker in goals.

2-1 Hearts

2F9AE0FC00000578-3373618-image-a-55_1451

We_are_the_Hearts

2F9AE0FC00000578-3373618-image-a-55_1451

It could end up 5-1 and it still wouldn't change my opinion.

Gene Parmesan

It could end up 5-1 and it still wouldn't change my opinion.

Okay. To combat the unforeseeable issue of Mason taking ill whilst on the way to the game, would you have: A) Withdrawn Jack Hamilton from training for a first team game he may be playing in this weekend, or; B) Taken a boy out of school for the day during his exams on the off chance he might be needed?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Okay. To combat the unforeseeable issue of Mason taking ill whilst on the way to the game, would you have: A) Withdrawn Jack Hamilton from training for a first team game he may be playing in this weekend, or; B) Taken a boy out of school for the day during his exams on the off chance he might be needed?

I think the point is its a bit poop these were our options

We_are_the_Hearts

Defo A, think he would benefit more from game time than an afternoon training session. After all it's the level before the 1st team, not some laddie's kickabout.

Jambo 4 Ever

An afternoon off training for the substitute goalkeeper is hardly going to make a big difference, surely?

Gene Parmesan

Defo A, think he would benefit more from game time than an afternoon training session. After all it's the level before the 1st team, not some laddie's kickabout.

But Mason would have played. He's the U20 goalie. So that would have taken Hamilton out of training to sit on a bench in Montrose.

We_are_the_Hearts

I think the point is its a bit poop these were our options

Defo, aside from this game it would appear Mason has had no competition for his jersey either. There must be good goalkeepers out there who would jump at the chance in the hope the better training brings their game on.

An afternoon off training for the substitute goalkeeper is hardly going to make a big difference, surely?

Until he goes for a 50/50 and ends up injured... which leaves a 17-year old with a dodgy tummy as back-up goalie for Saturday...?

Jambo 4 Ever

But Mason would have played. He's the U20 goalie. So that would have taken Hamilton out of training to sit on a bench in Montrose.

Why not give him the occasional game then?

KineticBeat

Why not give him the occasional game then?

I imagine because it will do no good for Hamilton and his development as the standard is below what he needs/wants to play, and it will do no good for Mason as he won't be playing in order to aid his development. 

We_are_the_Hearts

I imagine because it will do no good for Hamilton and his development as the standard is below what he needs/wants to play, and it will do no good for Mason as he won't be playing in order to aid his development. 

If that's the case then it's an issue for the game in this country in general if the immediate level before 1st team isn't deemed appropriate for a young goalie to develop. It's defo time for B teams to be introduced into Competitive leagues.

Jambo 4 Ever

But if it below the standard, then he should be getting a clean sheet/ playing well - I really don't understand why he can't play the odd game for the under 20's

Gene Parmesan

But if it below the standard, then he should be getting a clean sheet/ playing well - I really don't understand why he can't play the odd game for the under 20's

He can, and has. But Mason was going to play this game. That had been decided. Amazingly, nobody foresaw him suddenly taking ill while on the road to Montrose.

KineticBeat

If that's the case then it's an issue for the game in this country in general if the immediate level before 1st team isn't deemed appropriate for a young goalie to develop. It's defo time for B teams to be introduced into Competitive leagues.

Yeah even though that's what I imagine the official reason being I do feel Hamilton should be playing for the U20s in some capacity just to keep him game fresh. 

Not a fan of the B league idea as in Scotland I can just see Celtic B and Rangers B hoovering up all the young scottish talent and condemning then to playing lower league football which will in the end hinder their development. 

We_are_the_Hearts

Yeah even though that's what I imagine the official reason being I do feel Hamilton should be playing for the U20s in some capacity just to keep him game fresh. 

Not a fan of the B league idea as in Scotland I can just see Celtic B and Rangers B hoovering up all the young scottish talent and condemning then to playing lower league football which will in the end hinder their development. 

That's what happens anyway just now. We need to find a way of creating an environment that gets these players ready for first team football. The best option just now seems to be going on loan rather than with their current team.

Hearts have been the better side by far. Dominating so far in the second half. Just went 3-2 up :thumbsup:

KineticBeat

That's what happens anyway just now. We need to find a way of creating an environment that gets these players ready for first team football. The best option just now seems to be going on loan rather than with their current team.

I reckon it would get worse in a B team environment. 

maroonshrew

Is it still  :munny:  ?

it is if you bet on over 3.0 and over 1.5 FH goals because those odds weren't taking a battering!!!

airthjambo

Hamilton has played a number of under 20 games this season

Full time 3-3. Very good performance, if they had played with that much desire last week they'd have the SFA Youth Cup in the cabinet.

it is if you bet on over 3.0 and over 1.5 FH goals because those odds weren't taking a battering!!!

I think most people were on about a Dundee win.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Full time 3-3. Very good performance, if they had played with that much desire last week they'd have the SFA Youth Cup in the cabinet.

Unfair

maroonshrew

I think most people were on about a Dundee win.

Yea they were but while that dropped to 1.50 or worse, the odds on over 3.0 goals or over 1.5 FH goals were largely unaffected and I got 1.750 and 2.025 on each. Most people expected a battering so betting on goals made more sense with Dundee odds being so affected. you got the insurance of a hearts result with all the positives of an inexperienced keeper.

Footballfirst

.................. and here endeth the season.

A pretty poor one overall. I didn't see very many players improving over the season. Too many changes from game to game and an over-reliance on U15s/U16s to make up the numbers. 

39 goals scored in 32 games, with only bottom of the table Dunfermline with 38 scoring fewer.

Mikey1874

Hearts

Played 32

Won 10

Drew 8

Lost 14

Finished a point above Rangers in 12th place out of 17 (Ross County could still overtake us)

Finlay James

.................. and here endeth the season.

A pretty poor one overall. I didn't see very many players improving over the season. Too many changes from game to game and an over-reliance on U15s/U16s to make up the numbers. 

39 goals scored in 32 games, with only bottom of the table Dunfermline with 38 scoring fewer.

Is it likely that we will have a large recruitment drive over the summer for the age groups FF?

Footballfirst

Is it likely that we will have a large recruitment drive over the summer for the age groups FF?

There is always a big recruitment drive. The trouble is that all the best players are already signed up.  You can still pick up the odd gem who has been released by Celtic or Rangers, but it won't be an easy task.

The U20s will need major work with L Smith, McGhee, Henderson, Buchanan and Beith all too old or leaving. Add the departures of JHM and McKirdy, then you will be left with the U16s/U17s having to bolster the side once again. 

The U17s themselves should be better equipped a year on, boosted with with the current crop of U15s moving up.  The U15s have done pretty well this year when they have been able to include their three current internationalists in Chris Hamilton, Harry Cochrane and Anthony McDonald.

I would take from the Hearts selection that Angus Beith must be in the first team squad for Saturday. (unless of course he is injured)

hear that his hip is gone again if true could be looking at a lengthy spell out again

Footballfirst

hear that his hip is gone again if true could be looking at a lengthy spell out again

I dearly hope that isn't the case.  He's had a nightmare year with it.

I dearly hope that isn't the case. He's had a nightmare year with it.

looked very good when he returned after op so hopefully not to serious

TyphoonJambo

There is always a big recruitment drive. The trouble is that all the best players are already signed up. You can still pick up the odd gem who has been released by Celtic or Rangers, but it won't be an easy task.

The U20s will need major work with L Smith, McGhee, Henderson, Buchanan and Beith all too old or leaving. Add the departures of JHM and McKirdy, then you will be left with the U16s/U17s having to bolster the side once again.

The U17s themselves should be better equipped a year on, boosted with with the current crop of U15s moving up. The U15s have done pretty well this year when they have been able to include their three current internationalists in Chris Hamilton, Harry Cochrane and Anthony McDonald.

My mates nephew is Jack Breslin. He was the Celtic U20 captain and regular for Scotland. Just been released surprisingly by Celtic and I hear he is furious,disappointed and obviously available. I always liked the look of him. Could do a job!

Archived