Booking holidays.. Who do you use

Bigsmak

Thinking of going to Croatia in the summer for a week. Mostl likely Dubrovnik.

Where do people book these days.. I've looked at ice lolly (although what they class as Dubrovnik is like booking Edinburgh and staying in Perth) Expedia, trip advisor..

William H. Bonney

Thinking of going to Croatia in the summer for a week. Mostl likely Dubrovnik.

Where do people book these days.. I've looked at ice lolly (although what they class as Dubrovnik is like booking Edinburgh and staying in Perth) Expedia, trip advisor..

Do jet2 go there? If its a package holiday you're after they're pretty good.

deesidejambo

If I remember Jet2 fly to Dubrovnik form Embra.  You can either book a holiday with them direct on their site or book flights only and book a hotel yourself.

Nice town.

Low cost holidays are worth a look.

Or do flights only and search for voucher codes for Travel Republic or Ebookers and book your hotel via them.

Usually some decent codes for them if using their app to book.

Skyscanner for flights.

Booking.com, hotels.com, agoda.com etc for hotel.

Seconded for Booking.com.

Hotels.com for hotels.

Price match like most, which I have used three time, including twice on one booking. Refunded straight away.

Also loyalty scheme, where you get credit or 'free nights'.

I'm off to Dubrovnik in July.

I just book everything myself.

Easyjet from Edinburgh.

Like many others on here. I'm a fan of booking.com myself - the website/app/ux redesign they did a few years ago has worked wonders for them I reckon.

A shout out for airb'n'b too. I've had some great experiences booking accommodation on there.

Hotwire and sites like that can save you a bit of cash too. Not sure how widely used there are these days though - it's a while since I've used them.

Jambo-Jimbo

For short haul city breaks such as Rome & Dublin, I usually book flights and hotel separately myself.

Last flight to Rome was by Jet2 and hotel through Travel Republic

Dublin was Ryanair and Booking.com

Edit.

My daughter and her boyfriend are in Thailand just now and they booked everything themselves, including internal flights and ferries, hotels, the lot.

Francis Albert

Just got back from a week there. Booked flight and hotel separately, directly. You are right to be careful about location. "Dubrovnik" is used to refer to the coastal stretch including other small towns which are mainly just hotels, not just the city itself. Most hotels are in the north of the city (there are few in and around the old town) - Lapad Bay is probably the best area, with its own strip of bars and restaurants, which are otherwise rather sparse outside the old town. If you want to spend any time lazing in the sun you need a hotel with its own outdoor pool or at least terrace - the beaches are small and stony. City buses from Lapad Bay (or anywhere else in the city itself) are cheap and take 10 minutes to the gates of the old town. Check out restaurants on TripAdviser - we had some great meals but some awful ones too, . Enjoy.

scottish_chicP

Have used Jet2 Holidays the last couple of years to go to Ibiza and booked to go to Lanzarote in 7 weeks with them as well. Never had any problems.

Hotels.com for hotels.

Price match like most, which I have used three time, including twice on one booking. Refunded straight away.

I've had 6 free nights off them and I'm due another. Gold member status for this traveler.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I usually book the flight direct with Easy Jet or Ryanair and use expedia for hotels as it gives you a bigger choice.

Skyscanner and Hotel.com

Had about 6 or 7 free nights from hotel.com over the last few years. Great company.

For Hotels booking.com will have the biggest selection and most availability, their backend systems are so good at loading room rates to the global distribution system (GDS) that even when you use other sites it more often than not a booking.com rate that they make available to other agents.

Even our corporate Business Travel Company use booking.com room rates as do most high street travel agents. 

easyJet direct from Edinburgh.

ownersdirect.co.uk for holiday apartments and cottages, or airbnb.

booking.com for hotels.

Doing it yourself lets you choose accommodation that really matches your requirements.

Say What Again

Another shout for booking it yourself. I'm in Gran Canaria as we speak. Flight booked with Ryanair, hotel booked direct, transfers done through Hoppa.

No issues whatsoever.

Riddley Walker

Flying to Dubrovnik in 2 weeks. EasyJet direct from Edinburgh, booked somewhere through booking.com.

North Berwick Jambo

Skyscanner and Hotel.com

Had about 6 or 7 free nights from hotel.com over the last few years. Great company.

This 100% , the money you can save booking each separately is incredible sometimes, my last flight out here from Scotland three weeks ago cost me just ?19.99 on Sky-scanner :)

Doctor FinnBarr

This 100% , the money you can save booking each separately is incredible sometimes, my last flight out here from Scotland three weeks ago cost me just ?19.99 on Sky-scanner :)

Would you not get the same price with booking direct with Ryanair*?

*Assumption 

Don't ever use Ryanair for any flight at any time. They are not reliable and will **** you over if something goes wrong and you'll have no comeback. Pay the extra and use a proper airline.

Say What Again

Don't ever use Ryanair for any flight at any time. They are not reliable and will **** you over if something goes wrong and you'll have no comeback. Pay the extra and use a proper airline.

All down to luck I guess.

Used them the last 4 years without the slightest hint of a problem. I now even pay the ?30 for the extra legroom (with the flights being 4hrs 30 it gets a bit cramped for me after that time) and probably still save ?100 on flying with the big name brands.

Tbh it's worth it to see the seethe from the folk who sprinted to be first into the paupers queue an hour before boarding, only to watch you rock up 50 mins later and join the priority queue, ahead of them :lol:

Being first or last on a plane never bothered me. It's not going to leave without you if you're there. But those that simply have to be at the front? It bothers them!

:)

Stephen Muddie

Flown with the horrible bhastards several times. Always timeous always cheap and obviously so, yet a very cheerful jingle on landing, but it's been a while.

It's amazing how much worse and more in control certain organisations are than Ryanair, yet not a peep.

Lads, i said the same. Cheap and cheerful and means to an end.

Then they let me down by cancelling a flight, no reason given other than it wasn't profitable, about 2 hours before take off and about 6 hours before something i absolutely couldn't miss.

They left me in deep, deep shit and it cost me hugely to put right. They were not interested in how badly they messed things for me and i had no comeback.

I got a refund a month later and left frustrated and hugely out of pocket.

Never again for any reason.

Sometimes they're the only option.  Edinburgh direct to Corfu, for example.

Used them last summer with no problems.  Ponied up the extra for the exit row and it was one of the most enjoyable flights I've ever had.

Then again, I was in the window seat, there was no one in the middle seat, and the aisle seat was occupied by one Ann Budge.  If it's good enough for Queen Ann......

Sometimes they're the only option.  Edinburgh direct to Corfu, for example.

Used them last summer with no problems.  Ponied up the extra for the exit row and it was one of the most enjoyable flights I've ever had.

Then again, I was in the window seat, there was no one in the middle seat, and the aisle seat was occupied by one Ann Budge.  If it's good enough for Queen Ann......

As I've said, they're fine until they absolutely **** you over and then there's absolutely nothing you can do.

They don't receive complaints via telephone so they give you some address to write to that they reply a month later with an automated response that says nothing other than there's nothing they are going to do.

They don't give compensation for your losses, they don't arrange alternative transport and there's no hotels or aftercare. You're just left where you are with no-one to complain to and you have to sort it out yourself and trust me, it'll cost a fortune.

Most people will use Ryanair and be fine but some have not been so lucky. Their T&Cs are watertight and they will give you absolutely nothing if you are one of the unlucky ones. 

I'd go somewhere else rather than use Ryanair. They are absolute dicks and cannot be trusted for anything.

JudyJudyJudy

icelolly.com

is pretty good. But the price advertised for the holiday on their site isnt the full price. You have to call them and there are usually some add ons. Saying that ive had some good 1 1week holdidays to gran canaria, lanzarote for ?250  

Have a look at Airbnb for accommodation. Excellent service and you usually save a fortune compared to paying for a hotel.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I was wondering if anyone has used Norwegian or Vueling?. I see they both fly to Barcelona and I might fancy trying them instead of Ryanair some day.

Say What Again

I was wondering if anyone has used Norwegian or Vueling?. I see they both fly to Barcelona and I might fancy trying them instead of Ryanair some day.

Missus flew to Barcelona with Norwegian last April. She would use them again. Quite spacious seating she said (mind you she's only about 5'5) as well as free wifi onboard.

One thing that may be handy to know is you can't spend ?'s on the flight, just ?.

Say What Again

That sounds like a ****ing nightmare you had, Cosa.

Certainty I've jinxed myself now by saying I've had no issues with them :lol:

All roads lead to Gorgie

Missus flew to Barcelona with Norwegian last April. She would use them again. Quite spacious seating she said (mind you she's only about 5'5) as well as free wifi onboard.

One thing that may be handy to know is you can't spend ?'s on the flight, just ?.

Cheers that is good to know. Prices quoted on some European airlines are also in Euros so it can be difficult to work out if they beat Easyjet or Ryanair on price .

Samuel Camazzola

Norwegian are very good and used them to go to Copenhagen. They've since added direct flights to southern European destinations.

Prices were very reasonable and aircraft was brand new. As mentioned before, they come with free WiFi which is handy.

Would definitely use them again and their webpage is well designed to source the days cheaper flights can be found.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Norwegian are very good and used them to go to Copenhagen. They've since added direct flights to southern European destinations.

Prices were very reasonable and aircraft was brand new. As mentioned before, they come with free WiFi which is handy.

Would definitely use them again and their webpage is well designed to source the days cheaper flights can be found.

That sounds good to me. I will give them a try when my finances are favourable. Cheers !

Doctor FinnBarr

Cheers that is good to know. Prices quoted on some European airlines are also in Euros so it can be difficult to work out if they beat Easyjet or Ryanair on price .

Just look up a currency converter on Google and you'll see the price

I used Norwegian a few weeks back to Copenhagen.

Got the extra legroom seat for free at check in.

Great planes to fly in.

Ryanair again I have never had any complaints with them, but do your homework about how close the airport they land in is to your destination.

Flew with Norwegian twice. No issues at all.

Vueling, I think have some sort of relationship with BA, as you can book their flights on the BA website. Not always the same price, bit younger the BA allowance for hold luggage (23kg) included. Never flew with Vueling though.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Just look up a currency converter on Google and you'll see the price

I used Norwegian a few weeks back to Copenhagen.

Got the extra legroom seat for free at check in.

Great planes to fly in.

Ryanair again I have never had any complaints with them, but do your homework about how close the airport they land in is to your destination.

Flew with Norwegian twice. No issues at all.

Vueling, I think have some sort of relationship with BA, as you can book their flights on the BA website. Not always the same price, bit younger the BA allowance for hold luggage (23kg) included. Never flew with Vueling though.

Cheers for the info lads.

Hotels.com for hotels.

Can I add, if you have a Quidco account, and fonts the website via them, you get 10%-12% cash back too, usually a month or so after your stay.

willie wallace

We booked flights to Naples through Opodo with the out going journey via Brussels with Brussels Airlines.

We got an e mail 2 days before we were due to leave with new flight details ;Edinburgh to Antwerp and Liege to Naples arriving 10 hours later than scheduled and too late to get to Sorrento.

They gave no reasons but Brussels airport was still closed after the bomb attacks.Nothing anyone can do about that but when we asked Opodo how we get from Antwerp to Liege their reply was that they don't know but their should be public transport.

They had no idea.

Luckily my wife phoned Brussels and a lady got us a BA flight via Gatwick.Top service from them.

I suppose when you use an agency like that and a computer generates the flights there is always a chance of a ****** up like ours.

We booked flights to Naples through Opodo with the out going journey via Brussels with Brussels Airlines.

We got an e mail 2 days before we were due to leave with new flight details ;Edinburgh to Antwerp and Liege to Naples arriving 10 hours later than scheduled and too late to get to Sorrento.

They gave no reasons but Brussels airport was still closed after the bomb attacks.Nothing anyone can do about that but when we asked Opodo how we get from Antwerp to Liege their reply was that they don't know but their should be public transport.

They had no idea.

Luckily my wife phoned Brussels and a lady got us a BA flight via Gatwick.Top service from them.

I suppose when you use an agency like that and a computer generates the flights there is always a chance of a ****** up like ours.

Could you not just have booked direct flights from Edinburgh to Naples on the Easyjet website?

willie wallace

Could you not just have booked direct flights from Edinburgh to Naples on the Easyjet website?

That was our intention mate but we booked this holiday nearly a year ago and Easyjet bookings were not available at the time.

We tend to do all inclusive for the summer holiday so the cheapest way to do that is generally Jet2 or Thomsons we've found.

We do a fair bit of research and shopping around. I doubt we'd get better by splitting it all up and booking it direct piece by piece and in any case its a pain in the arse trying.

City breaks and the like, I work in the industry, so generally what I will do is price it up on Booking.com and go direct to the hotel asking them to discount that price. They pay 18% commission to booking.com so they have scope to discount. If they wont do it and take at least 10% off, I go elsewhere. I also have one or two discount codes and can save up to 20% depending on where I want to go and what time of year, so I tend to do my city breaks midweek. We done Kracow for less than ?100 each for 4 midweek days in November last year, including the flights and with a wee bit of industry discount on the apartment.

The industry used to have a couple of websites for discounted flights but they have gone now so I simply use the budget airlines but shop around all of them to get the best deal.

Archived