TV Camera Angles

Neil Jung

I've always been a bit of a stickler for things being done professionally when it comes to football. Back in the day Scottish football coverage suffered due to obscure camera angles no doubt because of the nature of the stadia at the time. Too often the camera was too low down whereas most are now higher up which imo provides a better view of the game. Strangely there are some top stadiums where the angle is low (Wembley, Bernabeu, Allianz, Stamford Bridge) however most are higher up. In case of Wembley, when it was redeveloped, the camera angle was initially very high (which I liked), however it's now too low for my liking and it spoils the coverage to an extent.

Anyone got any thoughts on what the optimum angle should be or is it just me being a pedant?

Francis Albert

The old Tynecastle camera angle from the Shed was awful, not helped by the pillars that often obscured critical moments.

I agree that given the cost of Wembley the poor camera angle is difficult to understand.

The old Tynecastle camera angle from the Shed was awful, not helped by the pillars that often obscured critical moments.

I agree that given the cost of Wembley the poor camera angle is difficult to understand.

It was a shocker. I remember when play was affected by the pillar the camera had to go to a close up instead!

As for Wembley I guess the best view of any stadium is where the most expensive seats and directors' box are situated..

JamboGraham

Generally a higher camera angle gives a more tactical view of the game, whilst a lower angle gives a more 'natural' view of the game allowing viewers to gauge the height of the ball more easily.

Wembley has several gantry positions at different levels and the broadcasters can select their preference.

There is also no doubt that the lower angle gives a much clearer view of the advertising signs...just sayin!!!

Generally a higher camera angle gives a more tactical view of the game, whilst a lower angle gives a more 'natural' view of the game allowing viewers to gauge the height of the ball more easily.

Wembley has several gantry positions at different levels and the broadcasters can select their preference.

There is also no doubt that the lower angle gives a much clearer view of the advertising signs...just sayin!!!

I didn't know that about Wembley. Interesting..

Hated it when they changed the boleyn ground/upton park camera angle a few years back

Now ive got used to it

The thing that does my nut in is showing live penalties from a camera behind the penalty taker. Go back to the standard view please!!!

The thing that does my nut in is showing live penalties from a camera behind the penalty taker. Go back to the standard view please!!!

Or corners from the goal line..

Agree with the OP. The higher the better. That's why I've never understood a manager being "sent to the stands" as a punishment. He'll get a far better view from up there ffs...

niblick1874

I find it hard to catch everything going on over the other side of the pitch when watching Hearts world because the camera angle is way to low. Truth be told, I'm just delighted I can watch the game.

Thought Police

Agree with the OP. The higher the better. That's why I've never understood a manager being "sent to the stands" as a punishment. He'll get a far better view from up there ffs...

They're being sent to the stands to stop them giving the officials abuse

They're being sent to the stands to stop them giving the officials abuse

Aye, ah ken that. Despite that tho, ma points still valid tho. It's easier to read a game from up there. It's a simple fact :-)

Slightly off topic, but what was really grinding my gears watching yesterdays fa cup game was not so much the camera placement, but the contrast in light and shadowed areas on the pitch at Wembley. There are some stadia that are really bad for that (in terms of watching on tv, possibly not so much actually in the ground) on a sunny day, first time I have really noticed it at Wembley.

It's always surprised me that more managers don't sit in the stands, feeding instructions to their assistant in the dugout.

Archived