Tax Rebate - Text Message

Pele_Is_God

Pele_Is_God

My father and I have both had a text message in the last couple of days from My Gov stating we are due a tax rebate then directed though to HMRC Website. It then asks us to enter our details in order to get the rebate. Is this genuine or not..? I thought they still sent out letters..... Never had a rebate before!

andrewjambo

HMRC will never send a text message offering a tax refund in exchange for personal/banking info.

Stephen Muddie

Hmrc usually don't notify me. I have to notify them!

Different when you owe them money, oh unless you're a...... Nooooo!!! That shit is infecting my everyday thinking.

My father and I have both had a text message in the last couple of days from My Gov stating we are due a tax rebate then directed though to HMRC Website. It then asks us to enter our details in order to get the rebate. Is this genuine or not..? I thought they still sent out letters..... Never had a rebate before!

Sounds a bit dodgy getting a text to request your personal details. I'd  phone the tax office to enquire because if its genuine, they'll tell you over the phone. My work has just recently started texting customers but they cant reply, we only text them confirmation of receipt of any document that we have received and updated.

Go for it mate.

Sounds legit to me

It's cool mate.

Look send me your address bank details and any passwords you may use and I shall make sure you get the rebate.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

100 % fill in the details.  Guaranteed money. Make sure you give them your main bank account.

Jam Tarts 1874

Definitely a scam. Similar emails have been doing the rounds as well.

HMRC are aware, there is info about it on HMRC's Twitter.

The Future's Maroon

I'm not trying to be cheeky, but you had to think about...ask advice on this? Have you replied to any emails from a Nigerian Prince who needs to transfer thousand of dollars from his Country to a UK bank and would like to transfer them to you?!

I would recommend you report it to HMRC, they have a dept who deal with these bams.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

My father (71) got the same one yesterday.

The Future's Maroon

My father (71) got the same one yesterday.

This actually raises a good point, although we (well, the majority of us) know fine well this is a scam, not everyone will and people will and do fall for it.

When I worked at HMRC we went on some (boring) presentation about it...the figures were frightening, so as long as the odd person does fall for it they will keep trying.

Jambo-Jimbo

How did HMRC get your phone number to begin with?

Sounds like a scam to me.

The Future's Maroon

How did HMRC get your phone number to begin with?

Sounds like a scam to me.

I'm guessing you only read the first post in this thread?

Jambo-Jimbo

I'm guessing you only read the first post in this thread?

No, I read every one, and nobody else had asked how HMRC got their numbers.

you are at it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,right?

The Future's Maroon

Got to be, surely?

For the record - HMRC have my mobile number.

Jambo-Jimbo

Got to be, surely?

For the record - HMRC have my mobile number.

No not at all.

HMRC do not have my phone number, why would you give HMRC your mobile number? 

Only my close family have my mobile number as I refuse to give it out to all and sundry.

If HMRC or anybody else wishes to contact me, they can send me a letter, they know my address.

I asked the OP how HMRC got their number simply because if they hadn't given HMRC their numbers then it would prove to the OP that it was a scam.

I am aware of the scam emails you get saying you are due a tax rebate but didn't know they also send text messages as well.

You're seriously asking this? I'll bet they didn't even address your name in the text. That should tell you all you need to know

Wallet inspectors will be present before the next home game. The plain clothes detectives will be able to tell instantly if any of the bank notes you hold are fake and take them from you plus your details to reimburse you at a later date.

Doctor FinnBarr

Got a mate (another Jambo) who works with HMRC. He tells me they only ever contact people by letter and not by any other means.

Chocolate fireguard and teapot twin set is all yours.

Just text your bank details to Big windows ltd, to activate the release codes.

You know it makes sense.

The Treasurer

I'm sure this is legit, but you may need to wait a while to receive the rebate.

I received texts and e-mails telling me I'm due compensation for an accident, I've won first prize in the Nigerian lottery, my Chinese uncle has left me a fortune, and I've even won a Tesco shopping voucher.

Each time I've sent off my bank details right away but not received a penny yet, even though  the "admin fees" have been taken out of my account.

I'm sure it's all above board  :uhoh2:

Jambo-Jimbo

I'm sure this is legit, but you may need to wait a while to receive the rebate.

I received texts and e-mails telling me I'm due compensation for an accident, I've won first prize in the Nigerian lottery, my Chinese uncle has left me a fortune, and I've even won a Tesco shopping voucher.

Each time I've sent off my bank details right away but not received a penny yet, even though  the "admin fees" have been taken out of my account.

I'm sure it's all above board  :uhoh2:

And don't forget all those bank accounts you must have forgotten that you had.

Awfully nice of them to send you an email to remind you to log into your account.

Bridge of Djoum

Wow!!

Ummmm, HMRC does not have his number AS IT IS A SCAM.

Is that clearer?

Hugh Phamism

Got a mate (another Jambo) who works with HMRC. He tells me they only ever contact people by letter and not by any other means.

Not strictly true. I have an online account with HMRC and they send me emails to check my account for any new information.

Sawdust Caesar

They do contact people by phone but only when they are chasing you for unpaid tax, never for refunds.

Doctor FinnBarr

Not strictly true. I have an online account with HMRC and they send me emails to check my account for any new information.

They do contact people by phone but only when they are chasing you for unpaid tax, never for refunds.

Only going by what he told me.

Jambo-Jimbo

Wow!!

Ummmm, HMRC does not have his number AS IT IS A SCAM.

Is that clearer?

I, you and most of the world know it's a scam and I have said so on several occasions now.

I just think there is crossed wires here, as I get the impression that you seem to think that I think it's not a scam.

Well it is a scam.

Not strictly true. My wife got an e mail from them to confirm she was allowed to transfer some of her personal allowance to me.

However that e mail was a reply to an online request and was sent under the Gov.UK heading on behalf of HMRC.

On a previous occasion my wife also received an e mail from the scammers which we reported to the Gov.UK phishing site. The message on the e mail looked as if it had been cut and pasted from a genuine HMRC letter. It could well have fooled old or vulnerable people.

See when they catch these chancers they should throw away the key. They cause misery for innocent people and ruin lives.

Archived