U20 tonight vHamilton

oh ah grantona

Any info

Expected a few 1st team players to maybe get a run

Game is 7.30pm Stenhousemuir

Team news on @Jamtarts from 6.30

kylelauren01

Lump on Hamilton - no Liam Smith, Angus Beith, McGhee, Dario Zanatta, Daniel Baur, etc - can see it being a very young/inexperienced Hearts team tonight.

jamboinglasgow

Team:

Mason Hamilton Reid Henderson Jones McKirdy Morrison Cochrane Roy Buchanan I Smith

Subs: Fisher McLean Baxter Howlett-Mundle K Smith Polsen Gillan

Hamilton

Marshall Reilly Quitongo Want McMann Ferguson Cunningham Redmond Tierney Boyd Kelly

Subs McCracken O'Halloran Smith Henry Connelly Scullion

Jambof3tornado

Team:

Mason Hamilton Reid Henderson Jones McKirdy Morrison Cochrane Roy Buchanan I Smith

Subs: Fisher McLean Baxter Howlett-Mundle K Smith Polsen Gillan

Thought we were playing with 2 goalies for a sec there!!

jamboinglasgow

I assume talk of Sean M leaving was untrue?

Him leaving is in regards to his contract not being renewed so he will be here till the end of the season.

Jambof3tornado

Him leaving is in regards to his contract not being renewed so he will be here till the end of the season.

Ahh ok. Any others we know that are in the same boat?

kylelauren01

Ahh ok. Any others we know that are in the same boat?

Henderson and Howlett-Mundle are rumoured to be gone at end of season as well

LarrysRightFoot

It's asking a lot to have two U15s and an U16 in the starting line up.

I know it's out of necessity FF but I think it's a good thing - As long as they are allowed to play with no pressure on them.

If they play well it will give them belief and confidence.

If they struggle it needs to be said to them that it was a good opportunity for them and was a learning experience to take things away from and work on.

Footballfirst

I know it's out of necessity FF but I think it's a good thing - As long as they are allowed to play with no pressure on them.

If they play well it will give them belief and confidence.

If they struggle it needs to be said to them that it was a good opportunity for them and was a learning experience to take things away from and work on.

I'm not worried about the youngsters as they are among the best prospects at the Academy and Scotland caps too.

However physically it is still a lot to ask to make up a 4/5 year age difference.

LarrysRightFoot

I'm not worried about the youngsters as they are among the best prospects at the Academy and Scotland caps too.

However physically it is still a lot to ask to make up a 4/5 year age difference.

Yeah I agree but the result shouldn't matter and I would hope the coaching staff would make clear to them there is no pressure on them for reason XY&Z.

It will also show them how hard they need to work to get that physicality - it will give them something to work towards.

Footballfirst

The game has gone much as I expected. Hamilton have the edge physically but the youngsters are doing ok.

Ally Roy missed a great one on one chance before they scored in what was the best chance from either side.

Ian Smith took a sore one and was subbed. He was on crutches at half time making his way back to the dressing room.

Diadora Van Basten

I don't see the point of playing a 14 year old in an under 20 game.

I think a 16 year old would struggle in an under 20 game!

I don't see the point of playing a 14 year old in an under 20 game.

I think a 16 year old would struggle in an under 20 game!

Playing against and with people older than you can be very beneficial.

I trained with a senior over 35 side a few times around the age of 14-16 and it was a brilliant learning experience. During games I quickly learned that intelligence counts on a football pitch. Without that your lost. I also learned that despite being a fit young farmer who didn't get overpowered by his own age group I still had a way to go before matching the big boys.

Sierra Delta

2-0 Hamilton

"60' Goal Accies 2-0 at Hearts and it's a superb direct free kick from @stevenboyd1997 22 yards out"

Diadora Van Basten

Playing against and with people older than you can be very beneficial.

I trained with a senior over 35 side a few times around the age of 14-16 and it was a brilliant learning experience. During games I quickly learned that intelligence counts on a football pitch. Without that your lost. I also learned that despite being a fit young farmer who didn't get overpowered by his own age group I still had a way to go before matching the big boys.

You would have had an advantage over an over 35s team as there legs have gone (believe me I know). Under 20s football is very physical and at 14 you would be doing well to match 16 year olds let alone 20 year olds.

You don't see Boxers getting chucked in at the deep end. They carefully build them up with easy fights to start off then they get harder and harder.

You would have had an advantage over an over 35s team as there legs have gone (believe me I know). Under 20s football is very physical and at 14 you would be doing well to match 16 year olds let alone 20 year olds.

You don't see Boxers getting chucked in at the deep end. They carefully build them up with easy fights to start off then they get harder and harder.

I agree although some of them were still fit young men barely over 35-37 who would cycle etc in their extra time because the league they were in was tough none of them carried much extra weight. They took it seriously.

I was just speaking on an experience basis. They were smart, even if I was quicker than them they could anticipate quicker than me.

As Johan said. ?What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster.?

Playing against U20s at 14 could teach you a lot about the importance of insight and reading the game.

Diadora Van Basten

I agree although some of them were still fit young men barely over 35-37 who would cycle etc in their extra time because the league they were in was tough none of them carried much extra weight. They took it seriously.

I was just speaking on an experience basis. They were smart, even if I was quicker than them they could anticipate quicker than me.

As Johan said. ?What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster.?

Playing against U20s at 14 could teach you a lot about the importance of insight and reading the game.

I know what you are saying but IMO it's to much of a jump for them.

Disagree in part with your last point...our younger players say (16-19) would learn a lot more from playing with experienced pro's in the lower leagues rather than the kick and rush that the u20 league is. The u20 league is kids fighting for a contract and is far too 100mph and physical to aid technical development imo. 

I'd sacrifice the u20 league (finish bottom if need be) to put as many as possible out on loan to see if they can cut it for six months and make an impact at league1 or league 2 level as opposed to playing against mainly u20's kids every week in the development league. I personally think a lot of the technically better players actually feel they are getting little benefit playing in the development league. Personally think you can see this in the frustrated body language of the technically better players at all the clubs.

Disagree in part with your last point...our younger players say (16-19) would learn a lot more from playing with experienced pro's in the lower leagues rather than the kick and rush that the u20 league is. The u20 league is kids fighting for a contract and is far too 100mph and physical to aid technical development imo.

I'd sacrifice the u20 league (finish bottom if need be) to put as many as possible out on loan to see if they can cut it for six months and make an impact at league1 or league 2 level as opposed to playing against mainly u20's kids every week in the development league. I personally think a lot of the technically better players actually feel they are getting little benefit playing in the development league. Personally think you can see this in the frustrated body language of the technically better players at all the clubs.

I think we should have reserve league football instead of development league.

Footballfirst

I could repeat my post from half time as to how the second half went with more of the same.

Their second goal was a peach of a free kick and after that is was just a question of how many. Despite everybody working hard, Hamilton were stronger, and technically better in the midfield area.

Some criticised me saying that without Angus Beith in midfield we lack creativity of someone to see and make the forward pass. That was again self evident tonight as we chipped balls forward to Ally Roy throughout. Our best attacking option was from crosses from the right (Morrison and Hamilton), which created a couple of good heading opportunities for Henderson and Jones, but both were a bit unlucky in missing the target,.

Hearts best were Morrison and my MOTM Liam Henderson.  The improvement in Liam's game since the turn of the year is quite marked, much stronger  and competitive. It's a pity that his improvement may have come a little too late to get him a new contract.  Because of his age (20 this year), and if the Development league is to be replaced by a reserve league next season, I'd be tempted to take a gamble on him for another year.

Footballfirst

Hearts are next in action on Thursday afternoon away to Falkirk at the Falkirk Stadium. Kick off is at 2pm.

Futurejambo1

Was always going to be a difficult game with Smith, Beith, Zanatta and Baur missing. Any side would find it hard to cope with four regulars missing. Could be a difficult few games coming up. It's good for young players to get a taste of 20s but can be a bit demoralising if you gave to put to many in at one time.

Not sure anyone will take anything from tonights match.

I took a few pounds from the bookies.

Was always going to be a difficult game with Smith, Beith, Zanatta and Baur missing. Any side would find it hard to cope with four regulars missing. Could be a difficult few games coming up. It's good for young players to get a taste of 20s but can be a bit demoralising if you gave to put to many in at one time.

as proven tonite imo i think a better starting line up of Mason GK defence of Morrison, Howlett-Mundel, Jones, Henderson, midfield of Hamilton, I-Smith, McKirdy, Buchanan with a front 2 of Roy and McLean would have been a stronger and better option especially against an Accies team who are one of the most experienced teams in development league to put in to many youngsters was a step to far but still a good experience for the youngsters.

John Findlay

Personally I always think you learn more in defeat than victory. Not fussed what age some of the guys who played last night. All good experience for them in my book.

I could repeat my post from half time as to how the second half went with more of the same.

Their second goal was a peach of a free kick and after that is was just a question of how many. Despite everybody working hard, Hamilton were stronger, and technically better in the midfield area.

Some criticised me saying that without Angus Beith in midfield we lack creativity of someone to see and make the forward pass. That was again self evident tonight as we chipped balls forward to Ally Roy throughout. Our best attacking option was from crosses from the right (Morrison and Hamilton), which created a couple of good heading opportunities for Henderson and Jones, but both were a bit unlucky in missing the target,.

Hearts best were Morrison and my MOTM Liam Henderson.  The improvement in Liam's game since the turn of the year is quite marked, much stronger  and competitive. It's a pity that his improvement may have come a little too late to get him a new contract.  Because of his age (20 this year), and if the Development league is to be replaced by a reserve league next season, I'd be tempted to take a gamble on him for another year.

I wasn't at the HA game so it was interesting to read your comments. Couldn't agree more about Liam Henderson. He has been superb in most games that I've seen. I would be surprised if he was let go. Not sure what the state of play is contractually. Your comments about Angus Beith are in line with what I would expect too. He is pivotal to the U20s and looks head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of his development. You can just see that he is ready to step up as Liam Smith did. Lets hope the U20s can bounce back with a better performance and result against Falkirk tomorrow.

disgruntledfan

FF have you heard about any more developments regarding a reserve league ?

If it does come off will it mean that there is a new option to offer contracts for the reserve league

instead of First Team ala Hendersons contract.

Footballfirst

FF have you heard about any more developments regarding a reserve league ?

If it does come off will it mean that there is a new option to offer contracts for the reserve league

instead of First Team ala Hendersons contract.

Nothing official, but my understanding is that both McClair and Strachan want change.  Whether or not that means that a reserve league (with an minimum no of U21s) replaces the development league (with a maximum of over 20s) remains to be determined. A reserve league would allow some of the guys like LH more time, as he would not be eligible to play in the development league except as an overage player, which would limit his opportunities, unless of course he went out on loan.

Archived