Turkey

Ibrahim Tall

Ibrahim Tall

Another suicide bombing today, this time in a tourist area of Istanbul.

The way things are going at the moment it's only a matter of time before the country descends into civil war, and this is the same country the EU is looking like agreeing to VISA free travel with. That'll help the refugee crisis...

Istanbul is probably the best city in Europe to be a tourist.

You could be there for 2 weeks and still not do all of the decent stuff that the place has on offer.

It's absolutely stunning, incredible food, decent local beer and tons to see. 

I'd recommend everyone go there for at least a week at some point in there lives.

Just not now as it seems to be teetering on the brink of political meltdown with the horrendous AK party and the risk of terrorists ****ing up the lives of the locals.

Very sad. 

Another suicide bombing today, this time in a tourist area of Istanbul.

The way things are going at the moment it's only a matter of time before the country descends into civil war, and this is the same country the EU is looking like agreeing to VISA free travel with. That'll help the refugee crisis...

Its in civil war at moment

Major activity by government against Kurds mostly not in news

Could be escalated further it seems as neither giving ground just now

Jambo-Jimbo

Its in civil war at moment

Major activity by government against Kurds mostly not in news

Could be escalated further it seems as neither giving ground just now

Your right down in the South East of the country it's been effectively open warfare for many years now.

The Kurd situation is a political nightmare for the West, as they need the Kurds to help tackle IS but Turkey is part of NATO, so it's a political hot potato the Kurdish homeland issue.

This would be the valiant, brave, pashmerga PKK that the west are arming and training to fight ISIS.

:vrface:

We never learn.

michael_bolton

This would be the valiant, brave, pashmerga PKK that the west are arming and training to fight ISIS.

We never learn.

If only there was some kind of precedent to establish this as being a bad idea...

:strewth:

Jambo-Jimbo

We never learn.

The violence is two way, the Turks are killing dozens of Kurds each day, but there is little to no media there to report it.

Seems like the Kurds are the only effective group fighting I S on the ground, despite violence being used against them from the Turkish govt quite frequently.

You could be there for 2 weeks and still not do all of the decent stuff that the place has on offer.

I'd recommend everyone go there for at least a week at some point in there lives.

Just not now as it seems to be teetering on the brink of political meltdown with the horrendous AK party and the risk of terrorists ****ing up the lives of the locals.

Very sad.

I've always wanted to go to Istanbul as it does seem like a great place to visit. **** going there any time soon, though. A total mess.

Very sad.

Agreed. Istanbul is brilliant. Ive not been for more than 20 years but it was a stunning place with great food.

It was everything an "exotic" city should be.

fabienleclerq

We never learn.

Tbf it's a two way street and the Turks have to take the blame aswell.

We never learn.

Yes they are, shame about the Turks.

Istanbul Derby called off due to a credible threat.

Sad.

Istanbul somewhere I always wanted to visit. Plans put on hold for now.

davemclaren

I've got a mate going there to visit family in a few weeks. Got a connection at ataturk in october.

The White Cockade

oh dear

we have booked 2 weeks in Side in July

Have to keep my eye on the situation

Doctor FinnBarr

Ive never tasted goose, any good.

Maverick munch.

When we played in Vienna we went to a boozer with a meal deal, 2 bottles of beer, goose soup then goose with dumplings, brilliant but never had it since. About 30 years ago then.

Doctor FinnBarr

oh dear

we have booked 2 weeks in Side in July

Have to keep my eye on the situation

We're off to Icmeler at the end of June, no real worries about going as we know what like security is at Dalaman, they even confiscated the hook from our travel scales last year as they were "forbidden".

Nucky Thompson

We're off to Icmeler at the end of June, no real worries about going as we know what like security is at Dalaman, they even confiscated the hook from our travel scales last year as they were "forbidden".

Kalashnikovs were probably forbidden from Tunisia but that didn't stop a lone nutter getting one.

Each to their own, but there is no way I would go near any Turkish tourist resorts just now

Jambo-Jimbo

Kalashnikovs were probably forbidden from Tunisia but that didn't stop a lone nutter getting one.

Each to their own, but there is no way I would go near any Turkish tourist resorts just now

As were bombs "forbidden" at Sharm airport but that didn't quite work out either.

Personally I think it's only a matter of time before an atrocity is carried out at a Turkish resort, Istanbul & Ankara are already targeted, so the next logical step is a tourist resort to get hit.

However you have a greater chance of dying on the way to the airport than you have being killed in a terrorist attack, so I guess it all comes down to personal choice and how you feel.

In saying that some places are more dangerous than others, but terrorist attacks can and do happen at anytime & anywhere.

It's the people who still went to resorts in Egypt and Tunisia when they were in almost open civil war that i don't get. Imagine risking the lives of your family for a cheap holiday. I still wouldn't go near either of those countries at the moment. Absolutely mental.

Fraggle Rock

Very sad. 

Very much this, stunning place, off to Bodrum, Ephesus and Pamukkale again next month and Bodrum again in July, love Turkey but would not visit the south east of the country just now but hope to at some point if/when the troubles in that region improve.

Geoff Kilpatrick

As were bombs "forbidden" at Sharm airport but that didn't quite work out either.

Personally I think it's only a matter of time before an atrocity is carried out at a Turkish resort, Istanbul & Ankara are already targeted, so the next logical step is a tourist resort to get hit.

However you have a greater chance of dying on the way to the airport than you have being killed in a terrorist attack, so I guess it all comes down to personal choice and how you feel.

In saying that some places are more dangerous than others, but terrorist attacks can and do happen at anytime & anywhere.

If they wanted maximum impact they would target the Dawn Service at Gallipoli.

A lot of rubbish being spouted on this thread.  I am typing this from my office in Ankara (my 3rd year here).  I work for a major Turkish oil & gas operator.  We have had 3 terrorist attacks in the city so far this year.  Security has been increased in that you have your bags checked going into malls and security guards check under cars entering the major international hotels and car parks but otherwise it is business as usual.

Not much different here than the threats in London from ISIS or how it was back in the 80s from the IRA.  Just keep vigilant and avoid crowded areas.  I visited the beautiful Blue Mosque in Istanbul with my family in December without any anxiety.

I fly back to Edinburgh with my family at the end of this month through Istanbul Ataturk airport and feel perfectly safe doing so.  

As for the Kurds, I see no difference between the PKK and Sinn Fein, except the latter is now legal.  A Turkish friend made a comparison between Erdogan and Hitler.  Substitute Kurd for Jew and what is happening here in 2016 mirrors what happened in Germany in 1934. Erdogan is using the Kurdish situation for his own political advancement.  

Flying to Dalaman in September for a week as we have done for most years in the last 16. (We have relatives in Fethiye)

I'd be more scared going to London or Paris just now to be honest.

No fear about going to Turkey whatsoever.

If you are scared to go and you don't go, the terrorists have won. I'm not letting terrorists beat me.

If they wanted maximum impact they would target the Dawn Service at Gallipoli.

On the 18th March in Turkey they commemorated the ?anakkale Victory.   The battle that Winston Churchill got wrong.

Flying to Dalaman in September for a week as we have done for most years in the last 16. (We have relatives in Fethiye)

I'd be more scared going to London or Paris just now to be honest.

No fear about going to Turkey whatsoever.

If you are scared to go and you don't go, the terrorists have won. I'm not letting terrorists beat me.

Off to dalaman / olu deniz in july

zoltan socrates

Star and crescent on the flag? Avoid

This is the future I'm afraid, we need to get used to the fact that we are the targetted

Ibrahim Tall

Star and crescent on the flag? Avoid

This is the future I'm afraid, we need to get used to the fact that we are the targetted

Maldives?

Rudi-Robertson

It's the people who still went to resorts in Egypt and Tunisia when they were in almost open civil war that i don't get. Imagine risking the lives of your family for a cheap holiday. I still wouldn't go near either of those countries at the moment. Absolutely mental.

I agree, a few of my mates went to Kiev last year while the whole Ukrainian and Russian war was going on

Shanks said no

Maldives?

Not necessarily, hundreds of protesters marched through central Mal?, Maldives, in September 2014 bearing banners reading ?Send democracy to hell? and ?Islam will dominate the world?. Many carried the black flags of Isis and al-Nusra Front. 

We fly out next Saturday!

My daughter is flying out there on Tuesday with her pal in her pals parents.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little anxious :(

Can't see the point in going there compared to, for example Tenerife at the moment. If all you want is a sunshine and a few meals and drinks why choose Turkey right now? Seems reckless, but each to their own. Nowhere is without risk.

Disser Pointon

Can't see the point in going there compared to, for example Tenerife at the moment. If all you want is a sunshine and a few meals and drinks why choose Turkey right now? Seems reckless, but each to their own. Nowhere is without risk.

The service and food is far superior for the money compared to what you will get in Spain, Canaries etc. As you say nowhere is without risk at the moment.

joondalupjambo

A lot of rubbish being spouted on this thread.  I am typing this from my office in Ankara (my 3rd year here).  I work for a major Turkish oil & gas operator.  We have had 3 terrorist attacks in the city so far this year.  Not much different here than the threats in London from ISIS or how it was back in the 80s from the IRA.  Just keep vigilant and avoid crowded areas.  I visited the beautiful Blue Mosque in Istanbul with my family in December without any anxiety.

I fly back to Edinburgh with my family at the end of this month through Istanbul Ataturk airport and feel perfectly safe doing so.  

As for the Kurds, I see no difference between the PKK and Sinn Fein, except the latter is now legal.  A Turkish friend made a comparison between Erdogan and Hitler.  Substitute Kurd for Jew and what is happening here in 2016 mirrors what happened in Germany in 1934. Erdogan is using the Kurdish situation for his own political advancement.  

I would never presume to offer any arguement with the bulk of what you have said only you say yourself that there have been 3 terriost attacks already this year.  London has had threats.  Is it not about people making decisions on travel / holidays based on actual events rather than threats?  It looks to some outsiders that Turkey is central to a lot of the spin off problems / issues in their region and for that reason attacks appear to be on the increase, with more likely.  To be aware of your surroundings, and also to feel safe is central, but surely people need to be aware of where to go in terms of destinations and the situation they are possibly putting themselves in when they arrive? 

Personally, even given what you have said, I would be extermely reluctant to book a holiday to Turkey at the moment.   That is not being anti-Turkey just making a decision based on current activity, the political situation in the country and quality media reporting.  Mind you it can be true about a number of other popular holiday destinations at the moment and so I guess people just need to make up their own minds on where to go, if anywhere.  Doon the watter on a boat may be the safest option, nae terriorist would surely tackle the wind, rain, cold and midges in July down the west coast of Scotland!!

Personally, even given what you have said, I would be extermely reluctant to book a holiday to Turkey at the moment.   That is not being anti-Turkey just making a decision based on current activity, the political situation in the country and quality media reporting.  Mind you it can be true about a number of other popular holiday destinations at the moment and so I guess people just need to make up their own minds on where to go, if anywhere.  Doon the watter on a boat may be the safest option, nae terriorist would surely tackle the wind, rain, cold and midges in July down the west coast of Scotland!!

Booking a family holiday for the summer and it will not be to Turkey.  Too hot for a starter.  I prefer a temporal climate and rain.  But like those that booked to go to Sharm el Sheikh after the terrorist attacks last year, people will still go on holiday to Turkey as long as the price is right. 

I love holidaying in Turkey, the hospitality, the scenery, the climate, the price.

Just not for the foreseeable. I wouldn't open up my family to any sort of risk. Given terrorist atrocities can happen anywhere as we've seen but common sense tells you not to go to a country with as much going on as the Turks just now.

I feel for their tourist trade if it takes a hit. Hopefully we can return one day.

North Berwick Jambo

I have to admit Turkey is not a place I would choose to go to on holiday but that has nothing to do with terrorism. It's easy to belive that it's resorts are at a higher risk of attack but the these religious maniacs are now just as likely to target any major european holiday resort popular with Brits & that includes the likes of the south of France, Spain's Costa Del Sol & the Algarve etc. It's just a matter of time.

Archived