Why are we getting Trams?

H2

Do you know where hell is
If introducing trams is a bold idea in 2008, how bold was it in 1940?

Bring back the horse and cart!

Far greener, no CO2, no need for speed humps, neigh brainer and at least the manure comes out of the right end.

Exactly what i was going to say.

You wont be saying that when you are speeding out to the Gyle at a great rate of knots..... ;)

The great speed that will not be allowed to exceed 30mph on the public highway.

davemclaren
The great speed that will not be allowed to exceed 30mph on the public highway.

That is the speed limit on the road for all vehicles. From Haymarket to the Gyle it's not on the road. :)

It will come to pass that the sum and substance of this Tram system is that it replaces the number 22 Bus Service, but with fewer stops. - that's it!

With the potential to extend out to Newbridge.

For the money spent on trams how long could a free bus service be run.

What is the pay back period - There isn't one because running the tram is more expensive than the 22 bus service.

So let's see:

Payback period - there is not one because running costs are greater.

Impact on 22 route - Might reduce time on one bus route by maybe 10%.

Congestion - more will be created by trams than the 22 bus service

Passenger cost - as yet not announced, but no doubt fares on buses will go up to subsidise the tram.

Pollution - Minimal benefit - pollution moved to the power station

Please put me out my misery, please someone tell me a benefit:dribble:

davemclaren
It will come to pass that the sum and substance of this Tram system is that it replaces the number 22 Bus Service, but with fewer stops. - that's it!

With the potential to extend out to Newbridge.

For the money spent on trams how long could a free bus service be run.

What is the pay back period - There isn't one because running the tram is more expensive than the 22 bus service.

So let's see:

Payback period - there is not one because running costs are greater.

Impact on 22 route - Might reduce time on one bus route by maybe 10%.

Congestion - more will be created by trams than the 22 bus service

Passenger cost - as yet not announced, but no doubt fares on buses will go up to subsidise the tram.

Pollution - Minimal benefit - pollution moved to the power station

Please put me out my misery, please someone tell me a benefit:dribble:

Have a look at the benefits case.

Guest casper
If they were wanting to connect the Airport with the City Centre, which im guessing was one of the reasons for it they would have been better off with a rail link. Might have cost more in terms of money to set it out, build etc. But it would not have been affecting the shops, businesses that are on the streets being closed off because of the tram work.

Only reason I can see for trams is that they work well in other countries so they must of thought it would work well in Edinburgh.

One of the first things the SNP did was to scrap a proposed rail link to the airport. This IMO would have been a much better use of the money as the rail links would have served most areas of Scotland.

They scrapped a rail link plan which was as well costed as the Parliament and would have meant tunneling under the runway while it was still in use. The total bill could have been astronomical as with typical Unionist prudence, no one had put any sensible fiscal checks and balances on the project. The money saved from this ludicrous scheme, and the tram money would have been used for a sensible raillink solution. However, the Unionist parties voted to waste money on the trams anyway.

jamboinglasgow
One of the first things the SNP did was to scrap a proposed rail link to the airport. This IMO would have been a much better use of the money as the rail links would have served most areas of Scotland.

I was in faviour of both being built, the rail links main problem was that it cost too much and was not properly managed. It would of been a great benefit having major rail services linked up to the airport. Imagine if you need to fly from Edinburgh and you live in Dundee. All you had to do is jump on a train which stops directly at the airport and you just hop out and straight to check out. With the huge planned expansion of the airport this would of been a perfect time to do it.

On a sidenote I notice that Glasgow is still getting its link and nothing has been put in place for Edinburgh. There was only 1 reason why the SNP wanted to scrap the trams and raillink, they needed the money to fufil all the election pledges they made nothing to do with the best interest of Scotland (the SNP dont like Edinburgh.)

Archived