How far could Spartans go?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How far could Spartans go?

• SPL
    • Division 1
    • Division 2
    • Division 3

Professor.Arturo

My personal opinion is, playing in the Scottish league they'd get quite a few more followers, maybe 1500 - 2000?. People who dont go to see Hearts or Hibs (for whatever reason) might go along, prices will suite those who just cannot afford to pay SPL prices but want to go to a game on Saturdays. So I reckon the support will swell a bit, more money attracting better players from the lower leagues. As for their level? div 3 is gash! no relegation says it all, I think Spartans would progress from there, settling into the top half/play off places of div 2, probably not much further.

All hypothetical of course, but would you welcome them into the SFL?

I would.

My personal opinion is, playing in the Scottish league they'd get quite a few more followers, maybe 1500 - 2000?. People who dont go to see Hearts or Hibs (for whatever reason) might go along, prices will suite those who just cannot afford to pay SPL prices but want to go to a game on Saturdays. So I reckon the support will swell a bit, more money attracting better players from the lower leagues. As for their level? div 3 is gash! no relegation says it all, I think Spartans would progress from there, settling into the top half/play off places of div 2, probably not much further.

I would.

Ferranti Thistle/Meadowbank didn't so no reason why Spartans should.

Spartans have a cooler name.

chester copperpot
Suit yourself;)

**** Spartans. I love Hearts. All you's that follow Spartans can sook my root.

**** Spartans. I love Hearts. All you's that follow Spartans can sook my root.

I don't follow Spartans! I just admire their cool, if slightly homosexual name:sad:

Our name is cooler, though;)

The Old Tolbooth

I'll tell you one thing, if they are relying on Hearts and Hibs voting for them to get into the league then they are barking up the wrong tree.

They voted against Gala Fairydean in favour highland league sides, citing the fact that they couldn't afford to have another league team so close to them that could take away part of their fan base, Berwick also stated the same reason.

chester copperpot
I don't follow Spartans! I just admire their cool, if slightly homosexual name:sad:

Our name is cooler, though;)

Fair play. Just making a point. ;)

chester copperpot
I'll tell you one thing, if they are relying on Hearts and Hibs voting for them to get into the league then they are barking up the wrong tree.

They voted against Gala Fairydean in favour highland league sides, citing the fact that they couldn't afford to have another league team so close to them that could take away part of their fan base, Berwick also stated the same reason.

Get over yourself. A wee backwards toon like Gala cannot sustain an SFL club like Gala.

My personal opinion is, playing in the Scottish league they'd get quite a few more followers, maybe 1500 - 2000?.

Surely they'd get around 300

Isn't it only the other 29 SFL clubs that have a say?

Im gonna be delighted if they get in but i doubt they will. The vote of SFL teams will prob go for another highland league side in Cove Rangers. As of the question how far will Spartans get if the do get into the SFL - well as long as they live within their means then im sure they will do no worse than the likes of Berwick, stenhousemuir ect.

I would.

I think your estimate of their crowds would only happen if they reached the First Division.

Third Division - once the initial novelty has worn off, couldn't imagine any more than 300-500 making the trek to Ainslie Park to see Spartans v. Albion Rovers/East Stirling/Forfar - delete as appropriate.

The Old Tolbooth
Get over yourself. A wee backwards toon like Gala cannot sustain an SFL club like Gala.

He he, I actually don't think Gala would bring anything to the Scottish league myself, however it was gutting to get turned down by Hearts, Hibs, and Berwick in favour if 2 highland sides, one of them who weren't even legally formed at the time, although have went on to much better things than Gala ever could.

Bluesy1874

considering spartans are trying to i dont no if they have already to build a youth academy i think they may surprise a few people

The Old Tolbooth

I'm not sure who would all get a vote now Tane, I think you could be right though.

Craigieboy

Spartans can GTF.

So can Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee, Hamilton, Stirling & Cowdenbeath.

**** them all, except the Hearts.

Oh, and **** the hibs as well.

considering spartans are trying to i dont no if they have already to build a youth academy i think they may surprise a few people

Spartans have teams from age 5 up to under 19.

The youth academy as such has been in place for years but i believe that part of the reason for moving ground is that they recieved council money on the understanding that an academy was built along with the new pitches. Its supposed to be encouraging the whole area to back Spartans. Whether it works time will tell.

That's Preston Athletic out as well then.

Could somebody translate for me?

The Old Tolbooth
That's Preston Athletic out as well then.

Aye if the SPL sides still get a vote they could be in bother, however Tane pointed out that he thinks that the only clubs who would get a vote would be the SFL sides, which would benefit Spartans and Preston greatly.

I remember the old voting system, it stank!

The Premier league sides would get 4 votes each to cast, whilst lesser teams would get less votes, wtf is that all about when it's the lesser teams that have to play them when they come into the league, madness.

The Old Tolbooth
Could somebody translate for me?

He's always been a zoomer mate, don't worry about him ;)

lost in leith

That was my initial reaction too. However, the football world has changed a bit. When Meadowbank had their best sides in the late 80s it cost ?3/4 to go to a Hearts or Hibs game. An away game wasn't that expensive a day out. Now you're looking at ?40+ if you like a beer, or a small fortune if you're taking a couple of kids. Spartans might find a niche market if they can sell themselves as a family club. Another thing that hurt Meadowbank was the fact that it was (and is, sorry Edinburgh City) a dreadful place to watch football.

Maroon Mayhem

Remember Bo'ness v Linlithgow getting 8500 at a Junior Cup Semi?

We're now paying the price for a stuck-up SFA who recognised the senior structure above juniors.

Why oh why do we let unsustainable teams in?

Rick Grimes

We're now paying the price for a stuck-up SFA who recognised the senior structure above juniors.

because the blazers think about themselves and not the good of the game. no-one says these tiny clubs shouldn't exist, just that they should be at their natural level

They've just built a new stadium and an academy.

They have a slowly growing fanbase.

Good luck to them, even if they don't take Gretnas place.

lastkingofscotland

I'd go and see Spartans on a free weekend. My cousin and I talked about adopting a lower league team to follow a while back when away games weren't feasible, but it never got off the ground. Granted, we could have gone to Spartans anyway but we might have had a bit more impetus if they'd been a league side. A third league side in Edinburgh couldn't hurt in terms of exerting influence within the corridors of power either...

Guest juvehearts
I'd go and see Spartans on a free weekend. My cousin and I talked about adopting a lower league team to follow a while back when away games weren't feasible, but it never got off the ground. Granted, we could have gone to Spartans anyway but we might have had a bit more impetus if they'd been a league side. A third league side in Edinburgh couldn't hurt in terms of exerting influence within the corridors of power either...

true would reduce the glasgow dominice by one less team.

i mean ffs to have as many as them in glasgow/strathclyde is a joke.

is their not more semi professional / professional teams in strathclyde than london??

Like it topcat :)- don't think anyone else is into films here.

maltese jambo

dont think its so much the SFA's fault...

the media glamourising and basically giving wholesale coverage to the top two teams; local teams and smaller teams cannot get a lookin and therefore there is less and less coverage and knowledge of these teams.

P.S. i'll be going to Spartans games once they've moved to the new ground.

They've just built a new stadium and an academy.

They have a slowly growing fanbase.

Good luck to them, even if they don't take Gretnas place.

I agree.

Let them in, so they can firmly establish themselves as Edinburghs 2nd club.

I agree.

Let them in, so they can firmly establish themselves as Edinburghs 2nd club.

Would you be happy being 3rd? ;)

If only we could have a pyramid system in place. Logical solution to a team going out of business would be to replace them with a team lower down in the pyramid. Scottish football solution-voting on which team should get in.

It would be interesting to see another Edinburgh team in the league however I don't think it should be them.

I really hope its Cove Rangers. We are very vulnerable at present to a drift away from us to another non-Hobo Edinburgh club. I think Spartans will get the nod if, for no other reason, it will undermine us.

Would you be happy being 3rd? ;)

Would you like Hibs to win the World Cup.

That's more likely than us being Edinburgh's 3rd club :smile:

Yep, SFL Clubs only, we wouldn't get a say and neither will the OF for once!!

If they can get a decent fan base then they should be the obvious team to step up.

I think i may be the only one to see what you did there..... :)

John Findlay

My problem with where Spartans are currently having their new ground/stadium built if access for both supporters by car/bus and on foot. Not the easiest place to get into.

John

Archived