Eurovision Song Contest 2016

FWJ

Gave up with the Eurovision years ago, got sick of all the political voting. Does that still go on?

Oh yes. But not quite as pronounced as there are more juries of music professionals involved again (as there were until about 20 years ago). A lot of the regional block voting (Baltic / Balkans) could be down to local musical taste. Also, Scandinavian countries, especially Sweden, take it really seriously. ''Melodifestivalen', the show that determines Sweden's entry, is the most popular TV programme in the country - watched by almost half the population.

Oh yes. But not quite as pronounced as there are more juries of music professionals involved again (as there were until about 20 years ago). A lot of the regional block voting (Baltic / Balkans) could be down to local musical taste. Also, Scandinavian countries, especially Sweden, take it really seriously. ''Melodifestivalen', the show that determines Sweden's entry, is the most popular TV programme in the country - watched by almost half the population.

Ok I might give it another chance this year :thumbsup:

To be fair this has been the case since it started waaaay back

Gave up with the Eurovision years ago, got sick of all the political voting. Does that still go on?

Not a bad song choice to be honest. Could surprise us. It wasn't my favourite of the songs based on the 1 minute long soundbites I heard this week. Didn't see the show tonight as was out for a leaving do so can't comment on time.

The boys have decent voices but need to work the vocals a wee bit better. The verses seemed a little low for the main singer but the harmonies were good and I liked the 2 drummers.

Haven't delved too far in yet as I like to wait til all countries have decided on their songs but so far liking Cyprus, Spain and Latvia from the few I've heard so far

Now that they're splitting the "committee" votes and the public votes, the accusations of political voting will be reduced.

If there is a huge disparity in the committee vote and the public vote from a nation then questions will be asked.

Like last year, when the British public vote scored the half naked tits-oot Polish bursd as top but the committee instead gave Poland 2 points and gave 12 to Sweden.

Is it? I wouldn't know I haven't watched it in years.

Aye, the scores from each country's judging panel and their public vote are being split off and given out separately.

Should kibosh all the conspiracy theories.

• 2 months later...

Anyhoo....

Tonight's real semi-final taking place tonight (BBC4) from Stockholm.

As one of the 'Big 5' the UK goes straight into the final.

peter_hmfc

Anyhoo....

Tonight's real semi-final taking place tonight (BBC4) from Stockholm.

As one of the 'Big 5' the UK goes straight into the final.

Well this is ******* sudden :lol: .

Chester™

Russia massive favourites for the whole thing. Not a bad effort tbh. Australia's might be a good e/w bet.

peter_hmfc

The Netherland's is actually pretty good to be fair.

Azerbaijan, Russia, Netherlands, Hungary, Croatia, Austria, Armenia, Czech Republic, Cyprus & Malta qualified.

peter_hmfc

Netherlands qualified, should do quite well in the final.

Chester™

Netherlands qualified, should do quite well in the final.

I thought it was quite poor tbh.

Getintaethem

Russia massive favourites for the whole thing. Not a bad effort tbh. Australia's might be a good e/w bet.

Putting money on Australia to win the Eurovision Song Contest is taking a shortcut on the path to poverty. ;)

Chester™

Putting money on Australia to win the Eurovision Song Contest is taking a shortcut on the path to poverty. ;)

Yes. A 50p e/w bet will leave me destitute by Sunday night.

To be blunt it is a load of shite !

It's 7 hours a year total.

Other TV channels are available.

Three of the best drinking games nights of the year if you do both Semi-finals as well as the Final.

:olly:

Seymour M Hersh

It's just a fun evening. Few drinks, some nosh and a laugh at Norton's bitchiness.

Getintaethem

Yes. A 50p e/w bet will leave me destitute by Sunday night.

I'll give you 500/1

John Gentleman

Bloody farcical having Australia in there. Most Aussies are a bit baffled too. I mean, how far away from Europe can you get? (OK, maybe NZ).

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I'm going to my first Eurovision party on Saturday :lol:.

We've all been given countries to "go as". I got given France so I've already bought my striped t shirt, beret and onion garland :lol:. Just need to buy some French beer and I'm good to go.

The drinking game sounds like it should be a laugh.

AlphonseCapone

I'm going to my first Eurovision party on Saturday :lol:.

We've all been given countries to "go as". I got given France so I've already bought my striped t shirt, beret and onion garland :lol:. Just need to buy some French beer and I'm good to go.

The drinking game sounds like it should be a laugh.

Eurovision is good if you take it for what it is, cheesy tv you can have a laugh it.

I'll be watching it and getting either a piece of food or some alcohol from each of the countries. I'll end up drunk and full, good times.

I love the drinking game we usually play.

As the voting begins, you have to guess which country is going to get 12 points from the country currently giving their points.

If you get it wrong, you drink.  If you get it right, you can choose someone else in the room to drink (meaning they go again if they also got it wrong).

It's carnage. :lol:

Also, put the red button on for the lyrics.

Any incorrect, or just ridiculous, English gets a drink.

Personal favourite was Moldova in 2010:

There's no other time to making Happiness. You have mistaken. We have no progressive future! I know your lying nature.

:lol:

I ****ing love Eurovision.  I'm going to be in Poland for it this year though, so won't get to hear Graham Norton ripping the piss out of everyone :(

Sooperstar

Australia 5/1 second favourites now with all the semis done and dusted. The crowd loved her tonight.

I didn't say I didn't watch it.....:wink:

Fair enough!

Just watched last night's. Thought Australia was good and Belgium is quite catchy too.

I think the UK's is pretty good. If it was just in the charts and not 'Eurovision' with all the associated baggage it would do well.

feedtheroman2

Does anyone know anywhere in Edinburgh that will show this? I can't help but think the three sisters would be a great venue!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

King prawn

Fasten your seat belts for the next 3 hours of wonderful rubbish.

Looking forward to this.

King prawn

Dutch entry quite good too.

He's put 1000 euros on himself to win.

Archived