National Insurance

Guest Anderson1990

hughesie27

Yes but only after you earn a certain amount of cash. I don't and I'm averaging about ?50 a week

You also have to pay tax (once thresholds are breached etc).

I actually think that is unfair.

No taxation without representation and all that!

You also have to pay tax (once thresholds are breached etc).

I actually think that is unfair.

No taxation without representation and all that!

Yup, votes @ 16 and all that.

I'm not sure, but the threshold for paying tax is ?5500 iirc.

Yup, votes @ 16 and all that.

I'm not sure, but the threshold for paying tax is ?5500 iirc.

yep, but the threshold is rising by ?1k or so (must be someone here that knows exactly how much) in september to "correct" the 10p tax fiasco. its also getting backdated to april which means every taxpayer will be receiving a one off payment of ?60 from the goverment in september and then ?10 releif every month until april.

I think 16 is far too young for voting.

I disagree, if a sixteen year old can get married, have a fulltime job and pay taxes why should they not have a say in how those taxes are spent via the medium of voting?

hughesie27
I disagree, if a sixteen year old can get married, have a fulltime job and pay taxes why should they not have a say in how those taxes are spent via the medium of voting?

So you agree that being able to get married and raise a baby is suitable for 16 year olds?

I know it's ridiculous that they pay taxes for a government they may now agree with but I think at 16 most kids don't have anywhere near enough knowledge of the world to be able to vote. If 16 year olds were allowed to vote I think we would see a lot more BNP and monster raving looney party votes. In areas where communities are rife with young adults it could be disaterous.

Going off topic a bit, how can the government justify the ability to raise a human being at the age of 16 but claim you can't control yourself during a night on the town? Both should be 16 or both 18. In my opinion 16.

So you agree that being able to get married and raise a baby is suitable for 16 year olds?

I know it's ridiculous that they pay taxes for a government they may now agree with but I think at 16 most kids don't have anywhere near enough knowledge of the world to be able to vote. If 16 year olds were allowed to vote I think we would see a lot more BNP and monster raving looney party votes. In areas where communities are rife with young adults it could be disaterous.

This comes down to maturity: who are we to judge who is mature enought to vote? I personally know a few people in their early to mid twenties who know very little about politics and who behave like teenagers but no one would dream of taking their votes away. You cannot generalise people who are 16 as not being mature enough to vote as it is doubtful that the immature 16 year olds at 18 will have developed much maturity wise. That generalisation means that those who do take the time to understand policies and where their tax money is spent miss out on taking important decisions.

Yes, i do believe that a 16 year old should be able to get married and have a child...if you no longer have to attend school why should you continue to be treated like an irresponsible child.

This comes down to maturity: who are we to judge who is mature enought to vote? I personally know a few people in their early to mid twenties who know very little about politics and who behave like teenagers but no one would dream of taking their votes away. You cannot generalise people who are 16 as not being mature enough to vote as it is doubtful that the immature 16 year olds at 18 will have developed much maturity wise. That generalisation means that those who do take the time to understand policies and where their tax money is spent miss out on taking important decisions.

Yes, i do believe that a 16 year old should be able to get married and have a child...if you no longer have to attend school why should you continue to be treated like an irresponsible child.

i wouldn't let women vote full stop ;)

Archived