Hibs chances of promotion

jambothommo

A lot (all?) pundits are raving about how good Hibs are and this evening on Sportsound there was some Hibbee non entity convinced that when (not if) Hibs come back up they will certainly be 'top 6'.

Well, just a thought. Who thinks they're a shoo in to come up?

It's one thing to compete at a higher level - which they have clearly done in the Cups to be fair.

It is entirely another to get out the crocodile swamp that is the Championship.

They're not going to overhaul Rangers.

And there's no guarantee they'll win the play off place.

But if they do, they then have to beat a battle hardened side who've been scratching, gouging and biting since the split for survival. Every game against equally tough desperate opposition.

In the cup games against SPL sides they've been the unfancied outsiders with no pressure.

Just wait till they're up against a Killie, Motherwell, Thistle, fighting for their lives.

I'm not sure Hibs do that kind of chips-are-down fight for your survival challenge all that well.

Could be the 6th year debating society team v the cage fighting boys.

Personally I'd like to see Hibs come back up. So that normal domination can be re-established.

I'm just not sure they will.

They are good enough to come up.

They might, might even win the treble that Googly has his eye(s) on.

They are still shite.

:fth:

Around 50-50.

I think they will beat Falkirk over 2 legs but then it will be a close one against whoever ends up 11th. As Motherwell showed over 2 legs last year when focused the SPL team will be difficult to beat. Hibs are clearly better than when they lost to Hamilton 2 years ago and it wouldn't surprise me if its them they face again. Will be interesting viewing. 

Rudi-Robertson

I think the title is beyond their reach but should they face Killie or Motherwell in the play off it "should" be a formality. But, then again with the wee team you never know what your going to get

ToadKiller Dog

They are good enough to come up , they have under Stubbs at the moment something we had last season , manager players and fans all singing from the same hymn sheet .

As for a top six next season it's a possibility as the SPFL ain't that great .

The test for them will come when Stubbs gets a gig elsewhere and a few of their better players move on .

I think the title is beyond their reach but should they face Killie or Motherwell in the play off it "should" be a formality. But, then again with the wee team you never know what your going to get

I hope it's Motherwell as I'd confidently predict Hibs would lose that over 2 legs. Far less so Hamilton. Killie 50-50.

boabyarsebiscuit

**** sake.

Barring a guy who is a decent manager with a very good team who unluckily lost the Scottish Cup Final last season but who is TOTALLY pish and is not HEARTS MANAGER MATERIAL and canny beat the Hibs in a playoff and Mixu maybe getting it together and not also not being able to beat the Hibs.

They're guaranteed to come up.

Right?

My dream scenario. Dundee Utd beat the scum on pens in the playoffs and Mixu dances around the pitch at the scumdome.

My dream scenario. Dundee Utd beat the scum on pens in the playoffs and Mixu dances around the pitch at the scumdome.

This won't happen, cos the second leg would be at Tannadice and more than likely Utd will finish bottom anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boabyarsebiscuit

This won't happen, cos the second leg would be at Tannadice and more than likely Utd will finish bottom anyway!

United are not finishing bottom.

H1b5 have Celtic to thank. With out Celtics loans H1b5 would pretty much be a bull one man team...

Stubbs, its not what you know, its who....

Dr Ian Malcolm

They're a decent side, but bare in mind they've never topped the Championship, and recently were below Falkirk in the table. There's also a danger they run out of steam - it was no coincidence we skooshed the league after pretty much writing off the cups.

Yes they've had good results against Premiership teams in the cups, but you can raise your game for 90 minutes every other month. Doing it every week if you go up is a different kettle of fish.

I wouldn't take it as a given they would beat Falkirk over two legs, but I would expect the, to beat whoever finishes 11th, although it might depend on how far they go in the Scottish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot (all?) pundits are raving about how good Hibs are and this evening on Sportsound there was some Hibbee non entity convinced that when (not if) Hibs come back up they will certainly be 'top 6'.

Well, just a thought. Who thinks they're a shoo in to come up?

It's one thing to compete at a higher level - which they have clearly done in the Cups to be fair.

It is entirely another to get out the crocodile swamp that is the Championship.

They're not going to overhaul Rangers.

And there's no guarantee they'll win the play off place.

But if they do, they then have to beat a battle hardened side who've been scratching, gouging and biting since the split for survival. Every game against equally tough desperate opposition.

In the cup games against SPL sides they've been the unfancied outsiders with no pressure.

Just wait till they're up against a Killie, Motherwell, Thistle, fighting for their lives.

I'm not sure Hibs do that kind of chips-are-down fight for your survival challenge all that well.

Could be the 6th year debating society team v the cage fighting boys.

Personally I'd like to see Hibs come back up. So that normal domination can be re-established.

I'm just not sure they will.

1st one - Of the 4 SPFL teams Hibs have beaten they have only been underdogs at the bookies against Aberdeen - and definitely not unfancied outsiders.  

http://news.ladbrokes.com/spfl/scottish-championship/hibernian/its-a-close-call-but-fans-expect-hibs-to-beat-hearts.html

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/st-johnstone/st-johnstone-boss-makes-hibs-favourites-1.921352

http://www.scottishfootballtips.com/hibernian-v-dundee-united-betting-preview/

2nd one - Please tell me about this 'normal domination' of which you speak.

HereLiesHibernianRIP

1st one - Of the 4 SPFL teams Hibs have beaten they have only been underdogs at the bookies against Aberdeen - and definitely not unfancied outsiders.  

http://news.ladbrokes.com/spfl/scottish-championship/hibernian/its-a-close-call-but-fans-expect-hibs-to-beat-hearts.html

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/st-johnstone/st-johnstone-boss-makes-hibs-favourites-1.921352

:cornette:

"They".

Fooling no-one. 5-1. 4-0. 22-in-a-row. GIRUY.

Know what, i actually want them and Rangers to come up, obviously won't support them in any games but i genuinely think we need all the bigger teams back in the league, look at our season now, it's practically over, the teams behind are nowhere near good enough to catch us and we appear to be too i consistent to catch Aberdeen, if they two were in the league it would obviously be more difficult for us but a better more competitive league, we've had our fun now let's get them back and it may even make us stronger.

alwaysthereinspirit

#!bs will not come up this year. How many games does it take to be promoted from 2nd place in the league?

J.T.F.Robertson

"They".

Fooling no-one. 5-1. 4-0. 22-in-a-row. GIRUY.

He's a straight-up Hibbie btw, never tried to hide it. (the name's a reasonable clue) By that I mean the green reference.

His "normal domination" comment is obviously based on last season and this. It goes a bit further than that. ;)

alwaysthereinspirit

#!bs will not come up this year. How many games does it take to be promoted from 2nd place in the league?

Jimmy_McNulty

They'll be one of the two teams coming up. Can't see them losing to any of the bottom 6 in the SPL.

Their record against SPL teams this season has been good. I think we need to face that reality.

Sadly.

13 points behind Killie(albeit with a game in hand)

14 points behind Thistle(albeit with 2 games in hand)

15 points behind Hamilton/Motherwell(albeit with a game in hand)

I wouldn't chuck my last pound on them to be honest. United are doomed. 3 wins from 25 games.

I'm in the minority but I don't rate Hibs at all and I think that Stubbs is a shocking coach. If they come up I will be very surprised.

I would say they have a good chance.

They have actually beaten more Premiership opposition than Dundee Utd, so will give the second bottom side a game at least.

I would also rate them favourites, as I would say they are better than Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Hamilton (the most likely to finish second bottom, I think). I also think, certainly in the case of Hamilton and Motherwell, they have a better manager.

Of course, despite this, they still could screw it up.

boabyarsebiscuit

And we've to take you seriously on any subject, after this statement?

2 words. Lee Clark.

They've as much chance of coming up as Dundee U going down. No doubt they will "hibs it" &stay down. So not bothered. Feck them!

I'm in the minority but I don't rate Hibs at all and I think that Stubbs is a shocking coach. If they come up I will be very surprised.

i can see why you are I the minority, Hibs are a decent side and Stubbs is a good manager, I am a died in the wool Jambo but I can occasionally peer thru my maroon time tinted specs!

I don't post very often, but sometimes a statement needs corrected ... what you have said is plainly nonsense

2 games v Falkirk then 2 v (likely) Motherwell? Nae danger. Have they even beaten Falkirk this season?

I think they have. I don't think Falkirk have beaten them, though.

If what you say is the case, then that makes the last five derbies even more disappointing than they already are.

I think they will win the league cup.

Loose the playoff in tight games against Falkirk

Loose out the Scottish cup against Celtic. Are their loan players able to play against Celtic?

Loose out the Scottish cup against Celtic. Are their loan players able to play against Celtic?

It would depend on the agreement. I suspect not.

They won't win the league, last Saturday was proof of that imo.  They might come up through the play offs but we saw how hard it was for Rangers V Motherwell last season and I expect it to be the same for Hibs,  I also think it will end up being Hamilton that finish 2nd bottom.

I don't think so, im sure when County beat Celtic in the league cup they were going on about Henderson and Stokes being able to play in the final.

The OP is about Hibs' chance of promotion.  I think all you can say is that they have a chance, but it looks more than likely that it'll come via the play offs.  Assuming they finish second, they'll need to win that double-header before facing another double-header against, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Hamilton or - unlikely - Dundee Utd.  The pressure on Hibs to come up will ne enormous.  The expectation from their fans (the 9,000 or so rather than the extra woodlice that only came out to see the Jambos on Tuesday) will be huge.

Any team that can make it up through the play offs, which are designed to favour the Premiership club, deserve it.  Hibs could be looking at a fantastic season; on the other hand, the fall could just as easily be spectacular.

If anyone still thinks United will avoid finishing bottom, barring another team suffering a points deduction, then they need their head checked.

The only time I've ever seen hibs play well enough to get promoted is the last 10 minutes against us last week and the first half against us on Tuesday night.

They have looked average at the absolute best against rangers, Falkirk and Livi.

I consider every away game they play to be a fair 50/50. At home they have a better chance but never seen them play a match that was an absolute given from the off.

If they don't get promoted it looks like they will again have Falkirk for company next season unless of course they get up through the play off and drag Killie down. Dundee Utd will be coming down to join them. Looks like Thomson fancies a rebuild as well which means they will try get back up first time of asking. They have been preparing for it since January.

Thank **** we got out that league when we did.

Assuming they finish 2nd, which looks likely, one of the biggest issues will be suspensions/injuries/tiredness. How well they do in the Cup will be a factor in that too - they could end up with a horrible backlog of games. 

I'd make them favourites against any bottom 6 side now. Utd look nailed on to finish bottom - I think Tuesday night sealed it. Any of the others could finish 11th but Hamilton look the weakest to me. If it's them, I think Hibs are heavy favourites. Way too early to know how they'd do if they did come up though.

Second place finish and it then depends on which Hibs turn up for a play off, the dire, awful, incompetent team that drew 0-0 with Livingstone or the battling, motivated but not very slick team that played Hearts ? It is a who is up for it on the day affair so they would be 50-50 at best. I dont think they are any better than third place Championship favourites Falkirk and they may struggle to get past them never mind whatever SPL team are second bottom.

The biggest game for Hibs will be the playoff against Falkirk, if they get past them then I can see them beating whoever finishes second bottom.

Archived