Augustyn's Red Card

SpikeDudley

Thought this deserved a thread of its own, since it has to be one of the most ridiculous decisions I've ever seen from a referee.

He threw the ball back to the opposition, to the correct place for the free kick to be taken, and got a second yellow as a result.

:cornette:

Unbelievable.

He did seem to do it in a fairly aggressive manner which presumably is what the card was for. Only seen it once though so maybe telly shows different.

Crazy. I wanted to be furious at him for this after hearing he'd been booked for throwing the ball away, but having seen it - its utterly laughable.

That said, Cummings wasn't much better.

I think the Ref realised he should have sent off pallardo so used that as an excuse to reduce us to 10 men. Once it was done he then had to send off cummings too.

totally crap refereeing in all three cases.

Both booked for what was absolutely nonsense, albeit Cummings booted the ball away twice but a ref with common sense would have told them to calm down and added it on at the end.

Diadora Van Basten

Hopefully the club will appeal this as it appears the ref made a mistake which he quickly balanced up by sending off Cummings.

HereLiesHibernianRIP

Hopefully the club will appeal this as it appears the ref made a mistake which he quickly balanced up by sending off Cummings.

They've all supposedly been warned about silly displays of dissent etc. It was a soft sending off, but why give the referee the opportunity. Just plain stupid.

The ref appears to have admitted to Robbie he didn't actually see the incident. He saw the ball going in a direction, saw the reaction of the Hibs players and then booked Augustyn.

Now come on, that is appallingly incompetent refereeing no matter how much you hate Robbie Neilson.

The ref appears to have admitted to Robbie he didn't actually see the incident. He saw the ball going in a direction, saw the reaction of the Hibs players and then booked Augustyn.

Now come on, that is appallingly incompetent refereeing no matter how much you hate Robbie Neilson.

Straight from the Willie Collum 'if I didn't see it I'll just guess' playbook.

It didn't look like dissent in that he wasn't throwing the ball in disgust at the decision. It looked to me like he was disgusted at Juanma giving away yet another free kick. I might have misread it though.

Complete farce for both of the sending offs. Can't appeal them either.

I do think Augustyn needs to improve his attitude on the park though, he gets stroppy with the ref a lot, and while he wasn't at fault this time, he does put himself in these situations a lot.

I posted before the game that,with Beaton as ref, a red card was a stick on.

Don't be fooled by his lower key earlier on. He had to make sure he was noticed.

Where was this reported? If Beaton did say that then he should be struck off straight away.

Beaton was an equal opportunity dickhead last night.  The second yellows to Augustyn and Cummings were both not even infractions, much less sending-off worthy.

Classic Beaton "look at me" moment.  He's worse than Collum in my book.

Both sendings off were typically over officious decisions by a Scottishs ref. Overlook the actual footballing misdemeanours and focusing on the petty stuff.

Kevin Thomson went through Walker near the edge of our box and wasn't spoken to, repeats the same near the dug outs and then gets a word in his ear. Into the second half and he gets Walker again this time a yellow but by now should have been his second yellow. But the player who throws a ball aggressively in protest at his decision is quite easy to book, show them who's in charge eh, honestly!

Where was this reported? If Beaton did say that then he should be struck off straight away.

Evening News quote from Neilson

?I spoke to the referee and he said he saw the movement of the ball coming back in and he saw the Hibs player?s reaction. He decided to send Blazej off with a second yellow. That?s disappointing because we can?t appeal it. We just have to accept it. He said he?ll have a look at it and speak to me. What that?s going to do, I don?t know."

Read more: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-players-warned-to-expect-criticism-for-cup-defeat-1-4032627#ixzz40R1IP9nR

The two players most deserving a red card were Thomson and Pallardo. The two actual red cards were terrible

Correct

It was a second yellow, and there's no appeal allowed against any bookings, except mistaken identity.

It was a second yellow, and there's no appeal allowed against any bookings, except mistaken identity.

Can Beaton himself rescind it?

The 4th official surely would've seen it much clearer than the ref. It was an absolutely woeful decision, it put the ref into a hole and he needed to send off cummings too

Can Beaton himself rescind it?

Yes, but as it would mean admitting he booked a player for something he never saw, and never consulted his assistants on - he just made up in his head - it could (should?) mean the end of his refereeing career - so will he..? :unsure:

Yes, but as it would mean admitting he booked a player for something he never saw, and never consulted his assistants on - he just made up in his head - it could (should?) mean the end of his refereeing career - so will he..? :unsure:

He won't, it won't and it's far more likely that Robbie will be called in to explain his comments in the News and fined.

Covering up for Referees errors is a well practised drill at the SFA.

What was the first yellow for?

A needless and reckless tackle from behind. The second yellow was a nonsense but once again a Hearts player put himself in a precarious position. The ref could also easily have sent Pallardo off and let Neilson off the hook big time by being lenient.

What was the first yellow for?

For his first foul, shortly after the ref had allowed 2 hefty challenges on Walker to go unpunished.

The second yellow was just bizarre. It wasn't throwing the ball away, dissent or petulance. The ref blew for a foul with the ball in the air, Augustyn caught it above his head and bounced it straight back quickly for the free kick to be taken. It's hard to think what he could reasonably have done not to be booked. It was just a piece of nonsense from the ref.

Rudolf's Mate

Ok just watched the highlights on HW. Whilst it's a bit harsh you can easily see how it's been given. Had it been the other way round you'd be expecting and questioning why if it hadn't. He doesn't just gently throw the ball and launches it into the ground showing dissent. Not saying I agree with it but I can see how it was given.

On Robbie's comments. I expect we'll hear more on this because Beaton is standing where he can see Augustyn and not only that the moment he launches it Beaton blows and makes a beeline for him. There's no time for any Hibs players to react as Beaton's already walking towards Augustyn reaching for his card. So basically it never happened that way at all.

Stubbs took Thomson off to avoid him getting sent off, Neilson took Pallardo off for the same reason.

Both of them should have been shown a red card (Thomson should have had three yellow cards).

Then the ref after letting both of them away with a red, proceeded to come up with two of the most ridiculous decisions I've ever seen, I think he realised it was a shocker of Augustyn so decided he'd better even it up with Cummings.

Evening News quote from Neilson

?I spoke to the referee and he said he saw the movement of the ball coming back in and he saw the Hibs player?s reaction. He decided to send Blazej off with a second yellow. That?s disappointing because we can?t appeal it. We just have to accept it. He said he?ll have a look at it and speak to me. What that?s going to do, I don?t know."

Read more: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-players-warned-to-expect-criticism-for-cup-defeat-1-4032627#ixzz40R1IP9nR

That is dreadful comments by the ref, did he just guess it was Augustyn if he only saw the ball movement.

A needless and reckless tackle from behind. The second yellow was a nonsense but once again a Hearts player put himself in a precarious position. The ref could also easily have sent Pallardo off and let Neilson off the hook big time by being lenient.

Defensive players get booked game in game out mate. Don't make it something it isn't!

That is dreadful comments by the ref, did he just guess it was Augustyn if he only saw the ball movement.

Dunno, but seems what he didn't see was the action that he sent Augustyn off for - he only saw the reaction.

He got booked for the same thing the other week. It was a game at home. Could have actually been Beaton in the Aberdeen game?

By The Light..

Next match our players should ignore the ball as soon as the game is stopped, unless we have it and want to take it quickly.

For his first foul, shortly after the ref had allowed 2 hefty challenges on Walker to go unpunished.

The second yellow was just bizarre. It wasn't throwing the ball away, dissent or petulance. The ref blew for a foul with the ball in the air, Augustyn caught it above his head and bounced it straight back quickly for the free kick to be taken. It's hard to think what he could reasonably have done not to be booked. It was just a piece of nonsense from the ref.

Not seen it so can't comment but he should not be giving away fouls or at least trying not too as it leaves him open for this to happen.  When will we learn.  There are a handful of about 6 players at Hearts that continually get booked.  I can't be ****ed with it anymore.

Fouls happen and yellow cards happen but the above word sums it up for mostly all out bookings.  As said above there are about 6 or 7 culprits that leave you with no faith in them.

Should really cut out any dissent!  Then these things wouldn't happen!

wtf, sniffin hobo call .Augustyn trying to hurry game on..dissent...lol 

Both by Thomson iirc. Both were bookable especially when you see Augustyn and pallardos bookings. I felt throughout the whole game Beaton was losing a grip on the game and when pallardo gets away with his 2nd yellow the game was out of the refs control.

The 3 mentioned above are all experienced pros who push it to the limit why Thomson got let off with two only the ref knows the consequence was he was allowed to commit the worst foul of the game knowing he could.

The ref was shocking.

Walker was constantly fouled but he let every Hibs player away with it.

Then Augustyn clips a player and gets booked. I wasn't sure it was even a foul.

Archived