This is England

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Brian Whittaker's Tache

On now on Film 4

Great movie, powerful stuff

Shane Meadows is a genius

I must admit, the overt racism in it left me feeling slightly uncomfortable.

And it usually takes a hell of a lot to make me uneasy. Particularly as two of my favourite films/dramas over the years have been S(um and Made in Britain.

Doctor FinnBarr
I must admit, the overt racism in it left me feeling slightly uncomfortable.And it usually takes a hell of a lot to make me uneasy. Particularly as two of my favourite films/dramas over the years have been S(um and Made in Britain.
What is overt racism compared to run of the mill racism? Confused.

What is overt racism compared to run of the mill racism? Confused.

In my experience most racism is gaurded and behind the back of the person who its aimed at.

The racism in This is England is completely 'in your face' and relentless at some points.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Got this on DVD. Very good movie.

Pretty hard hitting and shocking at times but enjoyable.

The wee lad puts in a cracking performance. Seen an interview with him once and I'm sure he hadn't even done acting before the film.

Legend Claws
I must admit, the overt racism in it left me feeling slightly uncomfortable.

And it usually takes a hell of a lot to make me uneasy. Particularly as two of my favourite films/dramas over the years have been S(um and Made in Britain.

Do you not think that is the point?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I think I'll be buying that on DVD

Its got to be up there with Once Were Warriors in my Top 10 Moving films tbh

Stewart MacD
Wasn't Smell a lovely girl.

Apostrophe Man's not happy.

Auld Reekin'
On now on Film 4

Great movie, powerful stuff

Shane Meadows is a genius

Can't get Film 4 at the moment on my Freeview :confused: - I can sometimes get it back if I re-tune, but then usually lose another channel that I'd want to watch even more often. :mad:

If you haven't already done so, check out "Dead Man's Shoes" by him. Also well made and very powerful, with a twist towards the end that I hadn't seen coming, but maybe that's to do with me being a bit thick rather than any cinematic genius on Meadows' part!

chester copperpot

Pretty weird reading this thread after I watched it on DVD last night.

Some big performances in this movie. Fair enough the plot isn't that great, but the performances from Thomas Turgoose as wee Shaun, and Stephen Graham as Combo were excellent.

Great film, pretty nostalgic too seeing the boy riding about on his Grifter too - great bike !!!!

I thought it was watchable, but in no way a great film. If found the storyline to be unbelievable and some of the acting was amateur at best.

It all felt a bit too caricatured which was disappointing since I'd been looking forward to watching it.

jamboinglasgow
I thought it was watchable, but in no way a great film. If found the storyline to be unbelievable and some of the acting was amateur at best.

It all felt a bit too caricatured which was disappointing since I'd been looking forward to watching it.

just checking that you realise that most of the film is based on the directors experences as a child, so alot of it did happen.

Nelly Terraces

It wasn't a bad movie, but I left the cinema a bit dissapointed when I went to see it. Pretty thin storyline imho, and they could've done so much more with the whole thing. I thought it kind of just painted too broad a brush over the whole plot, and the era itself. There was a quite a bit out of context, and there should a been more skin music in there to give the film a bit more of an edge. Acting was good though. I'd say 7/10.

The wee lad in it, Thomas Turgoose, is in Shane Meadows new flick, 'Somers Town', about a young lad (TT) who runs away from home to London and meets up with a teenage Polish immigrant. Sounds good, it's on during the film festival and Mrs Terraces got us ticket the other day. Nifty.

just checking that you realise that most of the film is based on the directors experences as a child, so alot of it did happen.

No, i didn't realise that.

Though even if it was based on his experiences, that doesn't necessarily mean that a lot of the events happened or are accurately portrayed. This is speculation on my part so it may be a faithful representation of events.

Nevertheless, (and as NT says above) it feels like he was trying to cram in as much iconic imagery, memes and themes as possible into the film. This pushed it too close to parody IMO and detracted from any attempts at authenticity.

It wasn't a bad movie, but I left the cinema a bit dissapointed when I went to see it. Pretty thin storyline imho, and they could've done so much more with the whole thing. I thought it kind of just painted too broad a brush over the whole plot, and the era itself. There was a quite a bit out of context, and there should a been more skin music in there to give the film a bit more of an edge. Acting was good though. I'd say 7/10.

The wee lad in it, Thomas Turgoose, is in Shane Meadows new flick, 'Somers Town', about a young lad (TT) who runs away from home to London and meets up with a teenage Polish immigrant. Sounds good, it's on during the film festival and Mrs Terraces got us ticket the other day. Nifty.

Sounds pretty good, will have to check it out.

Sexton Hardcastle

Fair enjoyed the film. Wasnt as good as i thought it would be. And warnings about violence came down one of the last scenes. Didnt think it over violent and they didnt really finish the film. But i guess some films are left of better that way. The young lad did play the part really well. that smell bird was weirdly attractive. worrying.

Will need to give Romeo Brass a watch. Would recomend Dead Mans Shoes.

" Al, You Shot Al. ALLLLAAAANN"

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Romeo Brass is a bit twisted and dark

24/7 is well worth a watch as is Once Upon A Time in The Midlands

I like his movies but then again I own Ken Loach box sets so you can make up your own mind on my opinions

jamtartsandbees
No, i didn't realise that.

Though even if it was based on his experiences, that doesn't necessarily mean that a lot of the events happened or are accurately portrayed. This is speculation on my part so it may be a faithful representation of events.

Nevertheless, (and as NT says above) it feels like he was trying to cram in as much iconic imagery, memes and themes as possible into the film. This pushed it too close to parody IMO and detracted from any attempts at authenticity.

Blimey Sparky are you looking for a job as an art critic?

I get the way you see it but to be honest it was a lot like that in England around that time.

Around that time I was involved in some quite hard core anti Nazi stuff, and I don't mean your average student anti Nazi league sort of stuff. although I will not go into detail some of what I was involved with included infiltration of far right groups. I have to say the film was frighteningly real in a lot of places.

Adi Dassler

An even more remarkable performance by the young lad Turgoose when you take into account his mother had just died.

I loved the film anyway, the only thing i was a bit uncomfortable with was the relationship between him and 'Smell'. I'm not sure what age she was meant to be but it just didn't sit well with me.

Big fan of the other Meadows work mentioned too, especially Dead Mans Shoes which is one of the best British films of the noughties IMO.

Can't wait for Somers Town.

Pete Seeger
An even more remarkable performance by the young lad Turgoose when you take into account his mother had just died.

I loved the film anyway, the only thing i was a bit uncomfortable with was the relationship between him and 'Smell'. I'm not sure what age she was meant to be but it just didn't sit well with me.

Big fan of the other Meadows work mentioned too, especially Dead Mans Shoes which is one of the best British films of the noughties IMO.

Can't wait for Somers Town.

I totally agree. Enjoyed it at the cinema when it was out. Bought it a couple of months ago on dvd but my brothers half inched it so I'll have to nab it back.

Terrible Trio

why do people go on JKB in the middle of a film they are watching to say how good it is - surely they'd miss some of the film

Walter Kidd

I thought it was lazy. No ska music, ex lag racist, and the little lad would not have worn the boots his mum bought him.

Decent enough film, think they were too scared to really go for it though. They could have done so much more with the film.

Loved the Fred Perry polo's.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Apparantly the wee man demanded a fiver off Meadows just for turning up to the audition. Legend.

bigbryanthejambo

Thought the film was top notch. As with the Green Street over Football Factory debate goes, theres a lot to be said for establishing the characters and the relationships between the characters before any overt violence or racism was brought in. As an audience it makes for a more enjoyable exoperience IMO when you actually care for the characters!

Blimey Sparky are you looking for a job as an art critic?

I get the way you see it but to be honest it was a lot like that in England around that time.

Around that time I was involved in some quite hard core anti Nazi stuff, and I don't mean your average student anti Nazi league sort of stuff. although I will not go into detail some of what I was involved with included infiltration of far right groups. I have to say the film was frighteningly real in a lot of places.

:) I was trying to think of the correct words and somehow ended up in essay writing mode. I should have finished up with 'in conclusion, the societal breakdown endemic to the era was instrumental in the blah blah blah blah etc etc'.

I amn't old enough to remember what it was like to be around at that time so I'll happily admit that I've got little to base my opinion on.

I am intrigued by your anti-nazi experiences though. Can't you give us a wee titbit of a story?

Archived