Tips for the perfect baked tattie ?

jamboinheaven

Oven, by far. 180 degrees (if not fan then slightly more), wrapped in tinfoil for an hour and a half, should come out just right.

Say What Again

Definitely has to be done in the oven. That's the only way to get the proper baked tattie skin.

Jed The Jedi
i just never get it right,i try in oven and microwave but whats best ?

Large tattie 7 mins in the micro pierced several times with a knife then in to a 200 degree oven for about 40 mins or until skin crisp and tattie soft in side.

jamboinheaven
Oven, by far. 180 degrees (if not fan then slightly more), wrapped in tinfoil for an hour and a half, should come out just right.

do you stab the tattie?

Stuart Lyon

Pierce the tatty several times put on a skewer, coat with oil (flora or something similar) and lightly salt it all round. Place in oven at 180 degrees for 70 minutes. Don't wrap it in foil.

rossi_1983

Pierce it several times, rub salt into the skin and a little bit of olive oil. Bake in oven for about an hour at gas mark 6, although may need a bit longer if bigger

jamboinheaven
Pierce it several times, rub salt into the skin and a little bit of olive oil. Bake in oven for about an hour at gas mark 6, although may need a bit longer if bigger

would you wrap it in foil?

Isaac Begbie

i'm told i do great baked tatties. heres my method:

wash them, stab them several times making sure the knife goes to the centre.

15-20 mins in the microwave - turn them over 1/2 way.

pick up with a fork (they'll be hot) and run under the cold tap to wet them. sprinkle liberally with salt (lo-salt if you're health conscious).

bung them in the oven at about 150 degrees for about 30 mins, although they'll be ready after about 15 mins the skins wont be as crispy.

enjoy.

go to the Temptin tattie in Jeffrey street you;ll never better theirs!

CostaJambo
do you stab the tattie?

Made me laugh out loud that. Typical conversation opener at half-time down Fester Road possibly?

Score the tattie with a sharp knife all the way around. This will help the skin crisp up later.

Stab it several times then chuck it in the microwave for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the spud.

Then transfer it to the oven (200 degrees c) for another 20 minutes to crisp the skin.

Ray Winstone

So the general feeling is that for best results you put them in the microwave before the oven.

And you stab the tattie and put some salt and a little olive oil on the skin before it goes into the oven.

Interesting - I have done a microwave or an oven - never combined the two.

Definitely got dinner sorted for tomorow then.

Legend Claws

Had some cracking baked pots last night all i do is put them in a fan oven at 200 and leave them for an hour. Of course I have stabbed them with a fork multiple times. Don't use foil.

I swear this gives you the best sking and the softest inside.

Hungry now!

vegas-voss

Take out the tattie then roll it in olive oil and sea salt then wrap it up again for the last half hour and it makes the skin amazing.

i just never get it right,i try in oven and microwave but whats best ?

Try this method: (Never fails for me. Perfect every time)

1. Wash and dry tatties. ***** several times each side with a fork.

2. Place in microwave for 15 mins (for 2 medium sized spuds - for other amounts adjust times accordingly - (I can never remember the rule of thumb for microwaves)

3. 5-10 mins before you hear the beep, preheat yer oven to 160 degrees celsius. (this is for fan assisted, for non-fan I'd go 180)

4. Remove tatties from microwave, place on oven tray, spray each potato with oil spray or if you don't have any just brush well with vegie oil, olive oil, whatever you've got. Add salt, seasoning as desired. (My usual is a little salt, a lot of chilli flakes, some S.A.M and some Aromat)

5. Place in preheated oven for roughly 20 mins, or until desired level of crispness is achieved.

There you have it - cannae go wrong honestly. I love my baked totties.

Take out the tattie then roll it in olive oil and sea salt then wrap it up again for the last half hour and it makes the skin amazing.

Must be same effect as the method I use. Amazing like that though eh?

Buffalo Bill

Please click onto my blog entry.

Buffalo Bill

Sexton Hardcastle

Having this for tea tonite...but the wench is making it. Looking forward to it. Fills you up

I'm going to try this, better be good Brashy!

Archived