Gretna No More (merged)

Rawrrrrrrr

Could Linlithgow Rose not be in with a shout?

could be wrong but from what I read in the papers they always seem to do well in the cups? they've got a reasonable fanbase for the level too. Not sure what their stadium is like though?

Rawrrrrrrr
Could Linlithgow Rose not be in with a shout?

could be wrong but from what I read in the papers they always seem to do well in the cups? they've got a reasonable fanbase for the level too. Not sure what their stadium is like though?

I think they, pollock and the other big junior teams are happy being the big fish in the small pond and are unlikely to apply

The 4 mentioned seem to be the only ones interested

The jump between senior and junior really isnt very much these days and teams like forfar are probably far worse off financially than a lot of upper end junior teams,

The Jambo Janny

The problem with any small team is the fanbase is small too. There's probably more punters on buses going to old firm games than go through the turnstiles at the likes of Annan and other provincial clubs, of course they will get a few more depending on success,like Gretna did,(at the end they only had about 20 at away games!!!) but will it be enough?. The Highland league teams get a bit more attendances but thats more to do with being further from central belt so not so many buses travel down the A9.

Maybe there should be less national leagues and provincial feeder leagues god knows how it would work though, difficulties would arise when a south team got put out to be replaced by a north team or instance. Maybe a Lithunaian team could fill the place and feed more crap through to us:rolleyes:

shaun.lawson
My point is that the fundamental problem with Scottish football (apart from the OF, the GFA, the referees and the Weegia, of course) is that the ultimate price of failure is that you stay in the 3rd Division. Teams which fail should not be protected in this way.

The situation in England is slightly different because of the obscene amounts of money thrown at the Premiership. That system seems to me to be unsustainable in the longer term as well, but for different reasons. In the EPL, the key is money. If a team has enough money, it will survive in the top league. If it doesn't, just about the only thing that prevents it from going bust is the parachute payment.

IMO, eventually, the big teams in the EPL will be strong enough to set up a European super league with teams from Spain, Italy, Germany etc. That will then become more and more like American football which is effectively a closed shop.

Sorry mate: my fault for misunderstanding your previous post! I agree with every word of the above - especially the bit about a Super League, which I believe to be inevitable, and will see both the Big Four in England and the Old Firm disappear to pastures new.

Doctor FinnBarr
#obos would never allow this. They cant handle being Edinburghs 2nd team. No way they'll take much comfort in dropping to 3rd.:P

:4_1_72:

eddie fenwick

london supports what?8 clubs with a population of something like 25 million

scotland supports something like 40 clubs with a population in the region of 5 million

there is no place for the stenhousemuirs,east stirling and the likes,brutal but true

They should never have been allowed to bypass the rules about ground size.

A total joke that has not only driven a football club under, but has seriously dented the wealth of their owner.

Bootboy100

Its a shame for the supporters they do have however hope the SFL & SPL learn from the mistakes they made by allowing them into the league in the 1st place when they didnt have a financial model to survive especially in the top 2 leagues.

Prince Buaben

This is a sad thing when a football club goes to wall. Doesnt matter on the circumstances or the size of the club. There will still be a few hardcore morning the loss of Gretna.

Also bigger clubs better take note becasue with a few Sugar daddys kicking about there could be a few more causalties in the future on a bigger scale than gretna

It's a shame really.

There but for the grace of God - it could be any club.

It's actually surprising how quickly they rose up the leagues and how (even more) quickly they have fallen down again - like a game of snakes and ladders!

I do feel that the SFL/SPL should shoulder a small percentage of the blame for this though, as they continually allowed Gretna to flaunt the stadium rules, while allowing them to climb the leagues.

I'm not for one second saying that they were responsible for Gretna going to the wall (that's down to the removal of the financial support from the Mileson family), but perhaps if the club had been delayed in getting into higher divisions because of the stadium then they may have had more time to consolidate their financial position...?

Not surprised at all that they have finally announced their withdrawl. I'm actually surprised it took so long. In fact they should have gone into voluntary liquidation before the split and the fact they didn't could be construed as negligence by the administrator. They were leaking money left right and centre and shouldn't have been allowed to continue with the farcical situation.

Nelly Terraces

And the SFL annuoce their taking applications from clubs to join.

So, another diddy team joins the league (and the same thing could easily happen again). Far too many clubs for such a small country.

Lessons from Gretna fiasco learned = ZERO.

And the SFL annuoce their taking applications from clubs to join.

So, another diddy team joins the league (and the same thing could easily happen again). Far too many clubs for such a small country.

Lessons from Gretna fiasco learned = ZERO.

true...

Archived