Gretna No More (merged)

Rawrrrrrrr

Rawrrrrrrr

Administrator has announced they will cease to exist as a football club and all assets to be sold out with football

Will be expelled by the SFL in next few days

Rawrrrrrrr
Spartans, come on down.

I would be pretty surprised if they are admitted

I suspect they will go for cove or preston

Spartans are a good club but dont have the fan base, likewise with annan to survive

Cove and Preston both have areas to capitalise on and I suspect this will get them the nod to avoid another gretna type situation

Radio Ga Ga

Prancer Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thinks Spartans are in pole position due to them being the only club with a SFL compliant stadium (when it's completed in the summer)

Walter Kidd

Horrible thing about all this is that Mileson signed a letter to the chap who was interested in buying the club that he would wipe out all his debt from the creditors report.

So much for being ill.

Rawrrrrrrr
Prancer Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thinks Spartans are in pole position due to them being the only club with a SFL compliant stadium (when it's completed in the summer)

As far as i know the others have stadiums or plans to be compliant

Spartans seem to be using the PR of there new stand as a pushing factor and are getting a lot of press because of it but I suspect there lack of support - week in week out as opposed to the big games - may lead to them being ruled out by the SFL who may seem a highlands team or East Lothian team with a bigger fan base to rely on as more attractive -baring in mind spartans would be competing against hearts and hibs for fans etc etc

Spartans imo are very much like hibs and think they are better than they actually are

Nelly Terraces

This would be an ideal opportunity to look at and review the amount of football clubs we have in this country, which exceeds that required for head of population, and by some considerable distance. Of course, that will never happen and the current ludicrous situation we have of teams playing in front of one man and his dog, will be allowed to continue.

Annan Athletic's ground is compliant subject to floodlights which they have planning permission for. They have a new 500 seater stand and full concrete terracing with capacity for around 2500-3000. Nice bar at the ground to!

mickmaroon

Spartans travelling support to their league derby against the mighty ECFC is about 25. Preston Athletic bring half that.

Despite my EoS patriotism - it has to be Cove.

caledoniaman

Spartans are a good club but dont have the fan base, likewise with annan to survive

Cove and Preston both have areas to capitalise on and I suspect this will get them the nod to avoid another gretna type situation

Cove need to build a complete new ground before the new season as their current pitch size is apparently smaller than some primary school pitches. Their words, not mine.

Preston also want a new ground building at Meadowmill before their application would be able to go ahead. Again, their words not mine.

It's a two horse race gentlemen, between Spartans and Annan.

caledoniaman
From what I have heard it's a done deal for Spartans.

Certainly some of the quotes from Spartans boss Mike Lawson on his blog and the mysterious case of midfielder Kevin Motion agreeing to terms with Berwick and then suddenly changing his mind would suggest that someone knows more than they are letting on.

Other than the issue of support they are miles ahead in every other aspect especially facilities and finances.

My immediate thought is surely Hearts would quickly put in place a mutual arrangement with them in loaning young players needing first team experience.

shaun.lawson

It's all a nonsense if you ask me. Scotland has a population of, what, five million or so? 42 league clubs for 5 million people?!

Bear in mind that England has too many too: but at least it has a population of 50 million. Both SFL Divisions Two and Three should be scrapped in my opinion, with the clubs affected put into a proper regionalised pyramid. This would greatly reduce their costs, allow everyone to find their natural level, and maybe give those remaining in Division One that wee bit more profile. Spartans or Annan in the Scottish league? When's it ever going to end?

It's all a nonsense if you ask me. Scotland has a population of, what, five million or so? 42 league clubs for 5 million people?!

Bear in mind that England has too many too: but at least it has a population of 50 million. Both SFL Divisions Two and Three should be scrapped in my opinion, with the clubs affected put into a proper regionalised pyramid. This would greatly reduce their costs, allow everyone to find their natural level, and maybe give those remaining in Division One that wee bit more profile. Spartans or Annan in the Scottish league? When's it ever going to end?

Totally agree Shaun. I would like to see Celtic B, Rangers B, Hearts B etc in these leagues as well instead of reserve fixtures like they do on the continent which would help bring in a few more punters.

Spartans travelling support to their league derby against the mighty ECFC is about 25. Preston Athletic bring half that.

Despite my EoS patriotism - it has to be Cove.

No next season.

I don't even know if Preston have enquired about it yet,for me I think the Rosie posie have a good shout.

Just out of interest...does anyone know if Gretna own their own stadium etc or if they lease the ground from the council?

caledoniaman
My immediate thought is surely Hearts would quickly put in place a mutual arrangement with them in loaning young players needing first team experience.

As both a Hearts fan and a Spartans fan I would say please god no. Please just let one of the teams I follow remain untainted by corruption and madness.

Guest casper

The SFL should be using this opportunity to reduce the number of teams in the league. There is not a big enough fan base in Scotland to sustain the number of clubs we have now never mind never mind adding more minnows to the pool.

As both a Hearts fan and a Spartans fan I would say please god no. Please just let one of the teams I follow remain untainted by corruption and madness.

:) Fair play I can understand those sentiments !

alwaysthereinspirit
Spartans, come on down.

#obos would never allow this. They cant handle being Edinburghs 2nd team. No way they'll take much comfort in dropping to 3rd.:P

walton1983

Neither Preston nor Spartans have any fans and Cove pitch is 50yds wide.

Better if one of the better supported junior teams were to apply.

walton1983
Preston's catchment area is full of Jambo's, what about Gala?

Prestonpans is full of Old Firm fans with some Hibs and Hearts fans.

Prince Buaben
Neither Preston nor Spartans have any fans and Cove pitch is 50yds wide.

Better if one of the better supported junior teams were to apply.

like...

blondejamtart

Were Preston not originally suggesting that they might link up with some other clubs to form a sort of "East Lothian United"? I'm sure that was their plan the last time they were considering applying, and someone told me that could still be the case.

Hagar the Horrible

Gala for me, but it will be another Highland side, as 4 might not be enough?

Then again are there any Junior sides? Bathgate for me

Nelly Terraces

Far too sensible a proposition you're putting forward there mate, it'll never happen.

Way thing are going, one day my old school team will take it's place in the Scottish Football League FFS.

Just out of interest...does anyone know if Gretna own their own stadium etc or if they lease the ground from the council?

Think the club themselves must own it going by this quote on the BBC website..

"Mr Elliot said he would now look to market the Raydale Park ground "outside football". "

Westendorfer

Cove have a tiny support - one of the lowest in the league. In some Highland League games their away "support" is in single figures. They would add nothing to the SFL. I think Spartans have the best case.

shaun.lawson
Far too sensible a proposition you're putting forward there mate, it'll never happen.

Way thing are going, one day my old school team will take it's place in the Scottish Football League FFS.

Maybe the worst thing about it is that so many tiny clubs must eat away somewhat at the potential Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc could otherwise have. We're not talking huge numbers here - but we're all disadvantaged enough when it comes to the Old Firm, and dividing forty clubs between all the non-OF fans is ridiculous really.

On the one hand, I love that fans in England and Scotland are so nuts about the game that we're somehow able to make these daft structures work. But on the other... is there no-one in the corridors of power (!) at the SFL who can see how ludicrous this all is? How on earth are players for Div Two or Div Three clubs supposed to take half a day off work to travel to midweek away games in the middle of nowhere, in a country which often suffers very cold winters, and hence, postponements galore? It's absolutely insane.

Scotland has a population of c.6m.

How can that sustain 40 league clubs?

It seems to me that Scotland can sustain as many league clubs as it wants. The real issue is that you can only be relegated from the 3rd Division if you go out of business.

Most folk agree that having a proper pyramid structure would be better, but having 2 "senior" leagues with regional leagues below is only worth the hassle of setting up if every team in the country has the chance of making it all the way to the top (or bottom).

East Stirlingshire astounded Scottish football by finishing second bottom of the 3rd Division instead of bottom this season. In truth, they should have been relegated years ago.

A proper pyramid structure would actively encourage the development of teams with decent catchment areas while allowing Falkirk's second team to find its own lower level. It never ceases to amaze me that a town the size of Falkirk has 2 senior sides. Aberdeen has one, Newcastle has one, Sunderland has one, etc etc

Edinburgh is not big enough for another league team. If they hung about the sfl for long enough they would potentially take supporters that might otherwise support hearts or hibs, i know we are not talking thousands but i still think we would be better off if the spartans stayed put.

alwaysthereinspirit

Population of 5 million of which at most 2 million give a crap about football. The OF then take at least 50% of the 2 million.

1 million people to spread amongst the rest.

Yeah we need another team.:eek:

It seems to me that Scotland can sustain as many league clubs as it wants. The real issue is that you can only be relegated from the 3rd Division if you go out of business.

Most folk agree that having a proper pyramid structure would be better, but having 2 "senior" leagues with regional leagues below is only worth the hassle of setting up if every team in the country has the chance of making it all the way to the top (or bottom).

East Stirlingshire astounded Scottish football by finishing second bottom of the 3rd Division instead of bottom this season. In truth, they should have been relegated years ago.

A proper pyramid structure would actively encourage the development of teams with decent catchment areas while allowing Falkirk's second team to find its own lower level. It never ceases to amaze me that a town the size of Falkirk has 2 senior sides. Aberdeen has one, Newcastle has one, Sunderland has one, etc etc

Only if you count Stenhousemuir as a separate metropolis

shaun.lawson

Um - I'm not sure why you think this, to be honest. Granted, in England, there's always the odd anomaly of a club with real potential being mismanaged and falling to a ridiculously low level: Wolves and Burnley in the 1980s, for example, or Man City and Leeds more recently. A decade or so ago, Hull, Brighton, Plymouth and Fulham were all doing badly in the fourth flight too.

But take a look at most of those in Leagues One or Two: these are clubs with only 5-10,000 supporters, rich, long histories, but who know there's a limit to how far they can go. Yet it doesn't stop the pyramid working fine - nor the reality that, as the EPL gets ever richer, the chances of 'doing a Wimbledon' are now utterly non-existent. Why shouldn't the same apply in Scotland? Stranraer, for instance, have been woefully out of their depth whenever being promoted to Div 1 - yet that won't have negated their sense of achievement in getting there, and there's a whole host of clubs who can't possibly get to the Premier, yet might have much more chance of fulfilling themselves if they can be run within regionalised, lower cost divisions.

You're dead right that there should be automatic promotion and relegation - but just because the top 18 or 20 are literally in another league, it shouldn't affect the desire of many others to be successful, but purely within their means.

caledoniaman
Edinburgh is not big enough for another league team. If they hung about the sfl for long enough they would potentially take supporters that might otherwise support hearts or hibs, i know we are not talking thousands but i still think we would be better off if the spartans stayed put.

I wouldn't think Hearts have anything to worry about. As long as HMFC isn't sold to a madman with a penchant for meddling and bursts of erratic behaviour then Spartans won't be stealing the fan base any time soon. :P

I agree with you about Spartans. To be honest I haven't paid any attention to who might get in so only knew of Spartans.

As other posters have said, this should be the start of a Scottish football overhaul, similar to that mentioned by Dougie Donnelly on the season round-up the other night.

Anyway, that discussion has been done many times on here and will never become a reality due to chairmen and money!

Maroon Mayhem

The Livingston story probably gives as good an indication to the likely success of a new SFL club.

When going over from Meadowbank, Livingston initially attracted a few interested neutrals before moving fairly rapidly up the divisions and establishing a fan base themselves. It was hard to see how big this base actually was until they dropped out of the SPL but I would say it's now around 2000/3000.

With East Lothian having half the population of West Lothian and some fairly solid support for Hearts and Hibs, I don't see how Preston would be sustainable.

Another team in Edinburgh won't fly and Cove and Annan would just be another Gretna.

IMO we only have 20-25 clubs who really deserve to be in the top flight of Scottish football, the rest should fight for their status with the best of the junior outfits.

Were Preston not originally suggesting that they might link up with some other clubs to form a sort of "East Lothian United"? I'm sure that was their plan the last time they were considering applying, and someone told me that could still be the case.

Don't remember them saying they would merge with other teams,but it was true that they were going to change the name to East Lothian United,I think that was what ELC wanted in return for backing and to help with bigger crowds,but the huge draw back was that they would change their colours to ELC colours which is green,white and blue,feck that stay as you are PAFC.

and a wee ps,Prestonpans Hearts supporters club is the biggest supporters club outside of Edinburgh,there are hundreds of Hearts supporters down this way.

Only if you count Stenhousemuir as a separate metropolis

I suppose I was being generous ...

Um - I'm not sure why you think this, to be honest. Granted, in England, there's always the odd anomaly of a club with real potential being mismanaged and falling to a ridiculously low level: Wolves and Burnley in the 1980s, for example, or Man City and Leeds more recently. A decade or so ago, Hull, Brighton, Plymouth and Fulham were all doing badly in the fourth flight too.

But take a look at most of those in Leagues One or Two: these are clubs with only 5-10,000 supporters, rich, long histories, but who know there's a limit to how far they can go. Yet it doesn't stop the pyramid working fine - nor the reality that, as the EPL gets ever richer, the chances of 'doing a Wimbledon' are now utterly non-existent. Why shouldn't the same apply in Scotland? Stranraer, for instance, have been woefully out of their depth whenever being promoted to Div 1 - yet that won't have negated their sense of achievement in getting there, and there's a whole host of clubs who can't possibly get to the Premier, yet might have much more chance of fulfilling themselves if they can be run within regionalised, lower cost divisions.

You're dead right that there should be automatic promotion and relegation - but just because the top 18 or 20 are literally in another league, it shouldn't affect the desire of many others to be successful, but purely within their means.

My point is that the fundamental problem with Scottish football (apart from the OF, the GFA, the referees and the Weegia, of course) is that the ultimate price of failure is that you stay in the 3rd Division. Teams which fail should not be protected in this way.

The situation in England is slightly different because of the obscene amounts of money thrown at the Premiership. That system seems to me to be unsustainable in the longer term as well, but for different reasons. In the EPL, the key is money. If a team has enough money, it will survive in the top league. If it doesn't, just about the only thing that prevents it from going bust is the parachute payment.

IMO, eventually, the big teams in the EPL will be strong enough to set up a European super league with teams from Spain, Italy, Germany etc. That will then become more and more like American football which is effectively a closed shop.

No next season.

I don't even know if Preston have enquired about it yet,for me I think the Rosie posie have a good shout.

dont think the gallant want it to be honest which is a shame as their one of the biggest junior clubs going, and if the spl wasnt on id go and watch them

Archived