Ibrahim Tall

chuck berrys hairline

JS39874220-2.jpg

All makes sense now.

Zika virus is a Willo Flood heid!

(Mowbray monkeyheid song)

• 3 months later...
luckyBatistuta

Over 100 leading scientists have called for the Rio Olympics to be Postponed following new findings which show that the Zika Virus is on the increase in the Rio area and is more dangerous than first thought.

http://news.sky.com/story/1703221/rio-olympics-should-be-postponed-over-zika

If they don't, then I wonder which countries will lead the way and pull out, as they surely have to listen to these people.

Over 100 leading scientists have called for the Rio Olympics to be Postponed following new findings which show that the Zika Virus is on the increase in the Rio area and is more dangerous than first thought.

http://news.sky.com/story/1703221/rio-olympics-should-be-postponed-over-zika

Unfortunately they'll probably get ignored because it'll be too much of a financial burden to cancel or postpone. Recipe for disaster to have a mass gathering of people from all over the world congregating in an area where there is a dangerous virus outbreak with no treatment or known cure. As the article notes, it'll be the developing countries that suffer most.

Jambo-Jimbo

Unfortunately they'll probably get ignored because it'll be too much of a financial burden to cancel or postpone. Recipe for disaster to have a mass gathering of people from all over the world congregating in an area where there is a dangerous virus outbreak with no treatment or known cure. As the article notes, it'll be the developing countries that suffer most.

People will struggle to get travel insurance or there will be clauses put in saying that Zika infection isn't covered.

Jessica Ennis-Hill had said that she was delaying going out to Brazil as she wants to try for another baby after the games are over, wonder if she will go now?

How many other people are in the same boat as her?

How many other people are in the same boat as her?

Rory McIlroy saying he might not go either. But the IOC already said this month they see no reason to delay or move the games.

Rudolf's Mate

150 of worlds top scientists asking IOC to move or postpone Olympics!

On ITN News now.

Hey folks, interesting topic...

I've been out in Brazil for the past 6 months, close to Rio in the Olympic danger zone. I don't know a single person who's contracted Zika, through extended friends/family. In my honest opinion, there is no clear threat to people coming for the Olympics. And I get bitten at least a dozen times per week by Aides Egypti mosquitos.

That being said, I wouldn't be happy about being a pregnant women out here at the moment, no matter how small the risk. Friends we know who have been pregnant have covered up. 

I'm no expert, but Olympic threat being way overblown. Everyone except pregnant women should be totally comfortable with this low risk. Even if you were misfortunate to contract the disease, in the majority of cases it gives mid flu symptoms. 

hughesie27

I've been

for the past 6 months, close to Rio in the
. I don't know a single person who's contracted Zika, through extended friends/family. In my honest opinion, there is no clear threat to people coming for the Olympics. And I get bitten at least a dozen times per week by Aides Egypti mosquitos.

That being said, I wouldn't be happy about being a pregnant women out here at the moment, no matter how small the risk. Friends we know who have been pregnant have covered up.

I'm no expert, but Olympic threat being way overblown. Everyone except pregnant women should be totally comfortable with this low risk. Even if you were misfortunate to contract the disease, in the majority of cases it gives mid flu symptoms.

Isn't it the case that once a woman contacts it she will always have it in her system and would pose a risk to any future pregnancy?

Yes, you'll also have potentially hundreds of thousands of people taking the disease all over the world when they go home.

Jambo-Jimbo

I've been out in Brazil for the past 6 months, close to Rio in the Olympic danger zone. I don't know a single person who's contracted Zika, through extended friends/family. In my honest opinion, there is no clear threat to people coming for the Olympics. And I get bitten at least a dozen times per week by Aides Egypti mosquitos.

According to the Doctors, many people don't have any symptoms whatsoever, but are still infected.

If and it's still an if, but if a man can get infected and then pass the infection on to a woman through his semen, without him known he's infected, then that's something to worry about.

There has been a couple of cases of this happening already.

There isn't enough data available to determine how long the Zika virus lays dormant in someone, so a young European girl for example could get bitten and 15 years later fall pregnant and have a baby with microcephaly, that's why people need to heed the warnings as there simply isn't enough known about this virus at present. 

The big problem is, is that's it's mutated from the original Zika virus in the Pacific, so we just don't know what this version can do at present.

I think what really has the medics concerned is if someone gets bitten by a Zika infected mozzy and then travels back home, and then gets bitten by their own local mozzy, the Zika virus could then be transmitted to the local mozzy through their blood then that mozzy bits someone else and passes on the Zika virus and so on, before long you get a mass World pandemic of Zika virus.

I don't know anybody personally who has ever been infected by Rabies, but that doesn't mean I'd ignore the risks for it, so just because you don't know anybody infected with the Zika virus out of the Millions of people that live in Rio, doesn't mean the warnings have been overblown.

According to the Doctors, many people don't have any symptoms whatsoever, but are still infected.

If and it's still an if, but if a man can get infected and then pass the infection on to a woman through his semen, without him known he's infected, then that's something to worry about.

There has been a couple of cases of this happening already.

There isn't enough data available to determine how long the Zika virus lays dormant in someone, so a young European girl for example could get bitten and 15 years later fall pregnant and have a baby with microcephaly, that's why people need to heed the warnings as there simply isn't enough known about this virus at present. 

The big problem is, is that's it's mutated from the original Zika virus in the Pacific, so we just don't know what this version can do at present.

I think what really has the medics concerned is if someone gets bitten by a Zika infected mozzy and then travels back home, and then gets bitten by their own local mozzy, the Zika virus could then be transmitted to the local mozzy through their blood then that mozzy bits someone else and passes on the Zika virus and so on, before long you get a mass World pandemic of Zika virus.

I don't know anybody personally who has ever been infected by Rabies, but that doesn't mean I'd ignore the risks for it, so just because you don't know anybody infected with the Zika virus out of the Millions of people that live in Rio, doesn't mean the warnings have been overblown.

I get your point Jimbo. There's certainly fear that the disease spreads to developing countries like India and then it would be a huge epidemic. But there's so much about it that we//scientists simply don't know. Predatory media have jumped on the story and are causing Brazil more damage than it needs at the moment. Caution with this is important, but an Olympic cancellation is an overreaction imo. Remember millions of tourists visit Rio every year as it is - it's one of the top tourist cities in the world. If it's going to spread, it'll spread because of that fact with or without the Olympics. 

Oh, a mozzy flew in to our apartment today, bit me on the ankle and I had a bloody fight with it. Zika or no Zika, these things are a massive pain in the ar$3 out here!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Zika Virus.

I thought we did very well to avoid them in the first round draw the other day.

Cool vlog man, keep it up ! 

• 1 month later...
Jambo-Jimbo

4 cases of people in Florida infected by the Zika Virus, are now thought to have been infected by local mozzies, and would be the first on Mainland USA.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/29/health/florida-health-officials-confirm-local-zika-transmission/

3 cases have appeared in the UK, however these were all caught abroad.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/29/three-zika-virus-cases-found-in-uk-hospitals-reports-say

Archived