Zika Virus

Ibrahim Tall

Time to start worrying about this yet?

It doesn't seem to be getting anywhere near the press coverage of the Ebola/SARS/Swine flu etc outbreaks possibly due to the low death count but you've got a virus that's rapidly spreading across the whole of the Americas without any real cure or treatment causing babies to be born with major disabilities. 4,000 new cases in Brazil alone since October, and now the virus is apparently now possible of sexual transmission.

Various countries in the Americas now advising people not to get pregnant.

Time to start worrying about this yet?

It doesn't seem to be getting anywhere near the press coverage of the Ebola/SARS/Swine flu etc outbreaks possibly due to the low death count but you've got a virus that's rapidly spreading across the whole of the Americas without any real cure or treatment causing babies to be born with major disabilities. 4,000 new cases in Brazil alone since October, and now the virus is apparently now possible of sexual transmission.

Various countries in the Americas now advising people not to get pregnant.

Seen this on the BBC late night news, something to do with being born with abnormally small heads? It did seem to be out of control judging by what the reporter was saying.

Sky News was running stories on this last week.  

Spread by mozzies apparently and with Carnival in Brazil just around the corner it is causing some worry. 

What is also causing concern is that there will be tens of thousands of women from all over the World in Rio for the Olympics this year.

Easy for women to get bitten then go home and fall pregnant at some point.

I think it was El Salvador which were asking women not to get pregnant for the next two years, sounds like it's a very scary situation being faced by Central & South America. 

Main story on Sky News this morning is saying that Brazilian scientists believe that this virus can now be spread by the common mosquito; previously it was only a certain species of mosquito which could spread it and as such has kept this virus in check since it was first discovered back in the 1940's.   If the common mosquito can now spread it then it won't be long until it spreads to Europe.

Holiday companies are offering refunds to pregnant women who are due to travel to South America or the Caribbean, however some women will not know that there're pregnant and could be infected if bitten, also what is still unknown at present is after infected how long does it survive in your body and could still be infectious years later. 

In theory a teenage girl or even a child could be bitten and 10 or 20 years later it infects their unborn child, that is still unknown about this virus.

There are still many unknowns about this virus as up until now it has been largely localised and only infected a very small number, something has changed and it is spreading and infecting larger numbers of people 

The World Health Organisation are to convene an emergency meeting on Monday to decide whether this virus should be declared an International Health Emergency.

I think they are somewhat concerned at the potential risks and damage that this virus could have on the population.    

Not that much of an emergency if they're waiting until next week ...

The logistics involved, would dictate this one would imagine.

Various health experts & government representatives from around the world needing to convene in one place. Monday is quite a quick turnaround 

With the disease this insect spreads such as malaria and this new Zika surely its time for us to find a way to wipe it out ?

Going to be a devil to tackle given it's mosquito borne.

Nations including our own are forever horizon scanning for emerging diseases but it's very difficult to predict which will be the next big problem.

Also until the Ebola crisis it has been very difficult to mobilise global efforts quickly, the WHO review after that will hopefully have focused minds for the future.

Saw on news that they reckon first case through sexual transmission has been discovered!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Saw on news that they reckon first case through sexual transmission has been discovered!

In Dallas I believe, it's also rumoured to have happened in Brazil as well but has not been confirmed.

If true then we are dealing with an all new scenario entirely and a much more serious one at that.

2 cases in Ireland apparently.

kingantti1874

it's been discussed before but the global population is significantly out of control.. At current rate of growth population is forecast to be almost 12bn by the year 2100 and approaching the level where the earth simply cannot support or sustain that many people..

When people talk about how the earth will end, overpopulation is the real threat as opposed to comets or volcanoes...

Scientists have long suspected nature would find a way to correct the imbalance

Seymour M Hersh

The Brazilians say it's the virus that is causing the massive spike in that terrible birth defect that they are experiencing.  However other areas around the world where the same mossy and virus are have not been experiencing any spikes in this bit defect.  Scientists also know next to nothing about the virus even although it's been around for over 40 years.

This is gonna be another non pandemic where the WHO scaremonger once again. swine flu, sars, ebola et al.

Of course it's horrible people will die, I for one will not be wetting my pants over it.

Btw, 'world pandemic' is a tautology.

Seymour M Hersh

This is gonna be another non pandemic where the WHO scaremonger once again. swine flu, sars, ebola et al.

Of course it's horrible people will die, I for one will not be wetting my pants over it.

I don't think it kills people.

I don't think it kills people.

It will for some with underlying health and of course it really damages foetus as it's encephal.

Seymour M Hersh

It will for some with underlying health and of course it really damages foetus as it's encephal.

As I mentioned earlier other areas around the world infected with this virus are not experiencing this issue.

As I mentioned earlier other areas around the world infected with this virus are not experiencing this issue.

Brazil has had by far the vast majority of infections of babies born with Microcephaly, however several other countries such as El Salvador has also seen an increase of Microcephaly hence why their government is urging women to try and not fall pregnant for the next two years.

Brazil is the worst tho, so far.

Probably right to keep this in perspective in terms of current risk. However as so little is known overall about Zika and extent to which it may cause neurological defects it is worth us focusing a large effort to fill the gaps so an effective response can be made.

That said, the WHO response to this virus had been coloured by the criticism after the Ebola outbreak (the two are very different scenarios).

As far as scaremongering, authorities would be negligent to dismiss the emergence a novel pathogen of unknown properties until we can be sure we can deal with the problem.

SARS and Swine Flu were serious concerns (Swine Flu killed an estimated 200,000 worldwide), though I think you'll find the stories of doomsday came from the media.

With Ebola we were truly lucky to have dodged the bullet. Initial warnings were dismissed and infections had got wildly out of control. Had the international response been much more delayed the virus would have landed on your doorstep make no mistake.

In each example people do die - a lingering, painful, horrible death. Wouldn't wish that on anyone especially if we can do something to prevent it.

so this only affects those who are pregnant, might be pregnant or intend on getting pregnant yes?

no other side effects for those who choose not to breed or have already had their family?

so this only affects those who are pregnant, might be pregnant or intend on getting pregnant yes?

no other side effects for those who choose not to breed or have already had their family?

Not quite:

"Most individuals infected with Zika virus experience mild or no symptoms. About 25% of infected people develop symptoms 2-10 days after infection, including rash, fever, joint pain, red eyes, and headache. Recovery is usually complete and fatalities are rare.

Two conditions associated with Zika virus infection have made the outbreak potentially more serious...

...Guillain-Barr? syndrome, which is progressive muscle weakness due to damage of the peripheral nervous system...

...Congenital microcephaly has been associated with Zika...

...Given the serious nature of Guillain-Barr? and microcephaly, it is prudent for pregnant women to either avoid travel to areas that are endemic for Zika virus infection, or to take measures to reduce exposure to mosquitoes."

http://www.virology.ws/2016/01/28/zika-virus/

Stephen Muddie

Despite this latest dribble fest, suicide is the biggest killer of men under 45, and I expect this to remain constant or rise beyond a few more terror campaigns.

Can I just add to what H1B5 Owner says.

The mozzies which carry Zika also can carry Dengue & Yellow Fever, so anybody be that man, woman or child if bitten could develop any or all of these diseases, of course Malaria is always possible as well.

What I think has scared the WHO is that there is so little known about this virus and almost every day something new is discovered about Zika.

It would be bad enough if it was only mozzies to worry about, however it now seems that there has been at least one case of man to woman infection via infected semen.

The big question with that is if she fell pregnant could it infect the child?  How long is someone infectious for?  Could a child get bitten and years later infect their children?

So many big questions that have no answer at present, that is what has the authorities so worried, I think.

Notorious BIG

Another virus that the fat cats will tell you to dig deep and donate to help beat it, just like Ebola, starvation will kill more people this week than the zika virus ever will but funny enough the millionaires wont die from starvation

Stephen Muddie

Another virus that the fat cats will tell you to dig deep and donate to help beat it, just like Ebola, starvation will kill more people this week than the zika virus ever will but funny enough the millionaires wont die from starvation

Suicide

Can I just add to what H1B5 Owner says.

The mozzies which carry Zika also can carry Dengue & Yellow Fever, so anybody be that man, woman or child if bitten could develop any or all of these diseases, of course Malaria is always possible as well.

What I think has scared the WHO is that there is so little known about this virus and almost every day something new is discovered about Zika.

It would be bad enough if it was only mozzies to worry about, however it now seems that there has been at least one case of man to woman infection via infected semen.

The big question with that is if she fell pregnant could it infect the child? How long is someone infectious for? Could a child get bitten and years later infect their children?

So many big questions that have no answer at present, that is what has the authorities so worried, I think.

Good points Jimbo. The tropics are a nightmare for diseases.

Can't have you missing out. If you do have a few quid spare I'm sure the kids would appreciate it.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fund/PHEteam

We're not millionaires I'm afraid though. (I've not looked down the back if the sofa for a while mind).

chuck berrys hairline

Woman been diagnosed with this in Spain. First known case in Europe.

Seems she picked it up in Colombia. Hope it works out ok.

Thanks for clarifying that guys. Was mainly curious for selfish reasons tbh. Few potential trips coming up where I might meet the odd mozzie and while I have no intention of having kids, was curious if there were other dangers. Falling asleep now so will do a bit research when I get time.

I assume there is no immunisation for it yet then?

[quote name="Beverley" post="5226613" timestamp="1454645370

No and the last I read was that a vaccine would be about 10 years away.

Thanks for clarifying that guys. Was mainly curious for selfish reasons tbh. Few potential trips coming up where I might meet the odd mozzie and while I have no intention of having kids, was curious if there were other dangers. Falling asleep now so will do a bit research when I get time.

Best to find out the facts if in any way uncertain. Now i know JKB is the font if all knowledge, but you might want to look to official sources for medical/ travel advice!

2 cases in Ireland and there was one in Denmark a week or so ago, however the Spanish case is the first European case involving a pregnant woman.

The fear must be once the main tourist season begins the numbers in Europe and the UK will in all likelihood go through the roof.

The Treasurer

Roger Daltrey should stick to singing IMO  :veryangry2:

Colombia reporting that over 3100 pregnant women have been infected by the Zika Virus.

I guess they will have to wait and see how many of them give birth to babies with Microcephaly.

The virus has now been detected in the urine and saliva of infected patients, so in theory it could be passed on by kissing.

Oh absolutely. But was falling asleep so didn't have the energy. Been looking into it though

Best to find out the facts if in any way uncertain. Now i know JKB is the font if all knowledge, but you might want to look to official sources for medical/ travel advice!

Archived