Globalization of football

Maximus

As I reccently posted on another thread (about the FIFA quotas), I feel that football as a whole is becoming more and more fake, boring, 'gloabalized' and frankly ruined by the sheer amount of money being thrown at it. Clubs no longer stand for anything, obviously you can now take Hearts as an example very close to home - no soul, no identity, no connection with the local area and very few players the fans can associate with and this is a common picture throughout the sport in Europe.

I always cringe when players moving to the EPL talk about how it is a "honour to play for such a famous club" when they are just going to the likes of Chelsea or Man City to make a quick buck (thanks to a rich owner), these clubs are just the playthings of the super rich, they are not prestigious names like Real, Barcelona or Liverpool which have built up their reputation and trophy cabinates over generations, clubs wich have tradditions and which have brought through their own local heroes throughout the deacedes as well as bought the best from around the world.

There are now very few players who stick with a club more than a few seasons now before they seek a 'new challenge' (aye, a new challenge for their bank manager) and this is a product of the globalisation of the sport, it is more of a business or a rich man's hobby than a proper entertaining sport for the people. I have almost given up watching it now because it's becoming a farce, the nightmare is fast becoming a reality, football is becoming SOCCER, another ****e american 'sport' and the Russians are joining in! Just today I have read that Bolongna are subject of a yank takeover bid, last week it was a Spanish club (Betis??). So it's not enough for them to buy up all the English teams and turn them into 'brands' to market all over the world now they have to get their filthy hands on Serie A and la Liga! I really wish they would just **** off and stick to their baseball and other crap plastic 'sports' and not turn our beautiful game into yet another 'brand war' :mad:

What are your views on this matter?

I agree mate. Footie is ****e these days. I get more enjoyment watching my laddies fitbaw than anything else.

....What are your views on this matter?

No al calcio moderno (Against modern football).

Archived