Unsung Hearts heroes

Trapper John McIntyre

Dave mcpherson. Not hugely talented but never really let us down.

Gentleman and superb drinking buddy.

Good shout with Roddy. Didn't let us down. Although he did lob Henry to give Hibs a glimmer of hope!!!

Was that the game when he scored for both sides but Hearts still won 2-1 ? Around 1987. I missed that game but saw many others that season.

Allowayjambo1874

Good shout with Roddy. Didn't let us down. Although he did lob Henry to give Hibs a glimmer of hope!!!

Thought he was immense back in the day, he came to us when we were in old 1st division and after years of bringing in duds and imposters I thought he was a massive signing and it showed we were finally on the way back. Just seemed like a proper, solid pro (oo er missus!)

Was that the game when he scored for both sides but Hearts still won 2-1 ? Around 1987. I missed that game but saw many others that season.

Yes that's the one.

i wish jj was my dad

Big Roddie was as solid a centre half as you will see. Absolutely unbeatable in the air

Dr Ian Malcolm

Neilson's a good shout. Was always seen as the weak link in the back four because he wasn't a ball player. Did he job and defended first and foremost. We signed numerous right backs but none could get him out the team. Better full back than given credit for.

Neil Pointon - hard as nails and did a fine job helping bring on Gary Naysmith.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stevie frail for me,thought he was a class act,injury robbing him of his best years for hearts and maybe Scotland.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart Tab 4G using Tapatalk

Stevie frail for me,thought he was a class act,injury robbing him of his best years for hearts and maybe Scotland.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart Tab 4G using Tapatalk

I don't know if he was unsung though, pretty sure he was our POTY in his first season with us

Andy kirk.

Stephen Simmons.

Scott severin.

Two solid midfielders and my favourite striker when I was younger. All from the same team actually.

Oh and Jean Louis Valois. He was different class. No clue how he didn't play at a higher level. Some left foot on him. Pushes sir skacel for that award for a left foot on a modern day hearts player.

Oh and Jean Louis Valois. He was different class. No clue how he didn't play at a higher level. Some left foot on him. Pushes sir skacel for that award for a left foot on a modern day hearts player.

He played one game. Other than that he was pretty rubbish and drifted off soon after.

John Millar, Peter Van de ven & Stephane Mahe all good solid players.

Mahe was a great player for hearts.Also liked Tommi Gronlund aka " nails" gave his all when playing for hearts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

millerjames398

I don't know if he was unsung though, pretty sure he was our POTY in his first season with us

Maybe but Dave McPherson has been mentioned in this thread,and he was a hearts and Scotland mainstay for a few years in two spells at the club.

jambos are go!

In response to the absurd thread regarding Hamill and Super Dennis, I propose we salute those bit part/fringe players who were always reliable and played their part despite never reaching the dizzy heights.

For me, it's Ian Jardine from the '86 squad. Very tidy and skilful player who though used mostly from the bench, always did a good job when called on. Still don't know why the Dons were given a penalty when Jardine was 'deemed' to have handled at the 1-1 game at Tynie where JC bailed us out at the end. I was at too far away to judge at the time as it was at the school end and I was in the cross section between the Wheatfield and Gorgie which was opened for the Hearts fans that day but it seems Willie Miller was able to cast the deciding vote.

Ian Jardine - good, solid player.

IIRC it was George Cowie who handled the ball after a more blatant handling by Jim Bett missed by

Bob Valentine. And Jardine was a regular starter in 86/87. Agree an underated player with a great shot.

Some good good shouts but IMO nobody was more underated than the prolific Scorer Willie Gibson a prime target for boo boys. Jensen and Moller very good but underated players. Gary McSwegan also.

Maybe but Dave McPherson has been mentioned in this thread,and he was a hearts and Scotland mainstay for a few years in two spells at the club.

Yeah, he wasn't exactly unsung either, no arguments there

Andy kirk.

Stephen Simmons.

Scott severin.

Two solid midfielders and my favourite striker when I was younger. All from the same team actually.

I thought Simmons was pretty poor for the most part. 

My shout was going to be Neil Pointon, which is far better than the one I will mention - Roddy McKenzie. Good servant and while never as good as Rousset or Niemi, I thought he was a decent understudy. 

When did he play for us.

Early 60's - he had a great full back partner in Davie Holt.

Afterthought. The genius that was Stevie Fulton never got the adulation he deserved. 

He got a standing ovation when he returned to Tynecastle with Partick Thistle.

IIRC it was George Cowie who handled the ball after a more blatant handling by Jim Bett missed by

Bob Valentine. And Jardine was a regular starter in 86/87. Agree an underated player with a great shot.

Some good good shouts but IMO nobody was more underated than the prolific Scorer Willie Gibson a prime target for boo boys. Jensen and Moller very good but underated players. Gary McSwegan also.

Was it not Ian Jardine that handled the ball?

Neilson's a good shout. Was always seen as the weak link in the back four because he wasn't a ball player. Did he job and defended first and foremost. We signed numerous right backs but none could get him out the team. Better full back than given credit for.

Neil Pointon - hard as nails and did a fine job helping bring on Gary Naysmith.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robbie "why is his second touch always a tackle" Neilson          :qqb007:

I thought Simmons was pretty poor for the most part.

My shout was going to be Neil Pointon, which is far better than the one I will mention - Roddy McKenzie. Good servant and while never as good as Rousset or Niemi, I thought he was a decent understudy.

I suppose we probably had higher expectations for him. He was young and raw but young me liked him!

scott herbertson

Jim Townsend

never had a song as far as I am aware, so qualifies against the unsung' bit.Ha d a bad temper on him which probably didn't help wit the hero status, but he was our playmaker for several years without too much credit for it

Two more shouts for Ian Jardine and George Cowie for their efforts in the 85/64 season. At least Jardine is still immortalised in vinyl on the Chunky Chicken sponsored 7".

I'll probably get a bit of grief for this ... Grant Murray. Pretty sure he was JJ's first name on the team sheet. I was always happy to see him in the team, dependable, worked hard and never hid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trapper John McIntyre

Was it not Ian Jardine that handled the ball?

Pretty sure it was Jardine, not George Cowie (another great stand by player).

Bazzas right boot

Has to be chuck!

McCartney was great for us, and John miller us,a,good shout, although not the greatest midfielder, heshave habit of scoring goals.

But for Mr, chuck all the way!

Archived