Ridiculous money in football

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

I think we all know how mouch of a nonsense the money is in football.

But 2 of the current figures on the board today highlight this madness.

Berra, decent young defender for Hearts. In the national squad, captian for his club = 1.5 million.

Ronaldo, one of the best palyers in the world, 42 goals from midfield, can take his pick of any club in the world = 100 million.

Is Ronaldo worth 66 Berras?

Is any one player worth that money?

It just goes to show how money dictates the game, and to some degree, success.

Just think how many Clums he is worth ?

Probably the equivalent to the population of a smallish central American country . . .

I agree that transfer fees are stupid when you get to the top end, but you picked a bad example. Ronaldo, due to the aforementioned 42 goals from midfield and his quite possibly being the best in the world right now, quite possibly is worth 66 Berras.

A better example might be one of the obscure English players who seem to change hands for rather a lot more than we are being offered for Berra.

also the amount of money players get in wages are shocking for example micheal ballack he's on 130 grand a week plus bonuses

I think Berra is useless. I'd take:

Craigan

Reynold

Canning

Scobbie

Barr

All before him.

Guest S.U.S.S.
A 'Berra' could become the new unit of currency in football transfers.

What does it equate to?

8p and a half eaten bag of Golden Wonder?

Dr. Bapswent

Ronaldo would be just as good a player even if he wasnt earning a ridiclous amount each week.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I listened to Mark McGhee on Off The Ball today. The comment that struck me with regard to this thread was his claim that David Moyes had told him that Everton needed to spend ?30M to stand still!

shaun.lawson
I listened to Mark McGhee on Off The Ball today. The comment that struck me with regard to this thread was his claim that David Moyes had told him that Everton needed to spend ?30M to stand still!

Moyes is quite right though, given Man City, Spurs, Villa and Pompey are likely to keep spending significantly. Mind you, ?30m doesn't sound like such a lot when you remember how much money every EPL club gets from SKY anyway!

How much a player is worth is dependant on the question "Who to"

Ronaldo would obviously be a great asset to Real Madrid but even one Christophe Berra would be of no use as they would never actually play meaing that to Real Berra would be worth nothing and sixty six Berra's would be worth 66 times nothing.

In a Hearts context however Berra is worth more than 1/66th of a Ronaldo.

It's more valuable to have 33 Berra appearances captaining from central defence or a single 45 minute Ronaldo guest appearance at Tynecastle.

The People's Chimp

Craigan

Reynold

Canning

Scobbie

Barr

All before him.

YET MORE NEGATIVE RUBBISH FROM YOU.

Scobbie? Barr? before berra? nonsense.

I'd disagree with you on the others as well, but allowing for some difference of opinion they are within the realms of possibility.

but....:hobofish:

Craigan

Reynold

Canning

Scobbie

Barr

All before him.

What a load of crap. How many times have you seen any of these other guy's play?

I cant beleive some of the pure mince posted on here, Berra is a wee bit away from the finished article but he is a solid centre half who'd be a first choice CB for any other team in Scotland outside the OF.

We've been spoiled with the likes of Levein, McPherson, McLaren, Ritchie, Weir, Pressley and Webster in recent years but alongside a more experienced CB and under the guidance of a good manager Berra could be as good as these guy's were.

Just think how many Clums he is worth ?

Probably the equivalent to the population of a smallish central American country . . .

ha ha but can Ronaldo dance? Lets face it Clum's Heart's career may be over but next year he could win Britain's got talent.

I agree that transfer fees are stupid when you get to the top end, but you picked a bad example. Ronaldo, due to the aforementioned 42 goals from midfield and his quite possibly being the best in the world right now, quite possibly is worth 66 Berras.

A better example might be one of the obscure English players who seem to change hands for rather a lot more than we are being offered for Berra.

Carrick :rolleyes:

Archived