Capello - The Vogts of England???

Rawrrrrrrr

Rawrrrrrrr

I am starting too see the similarities

Foreign manager well known, with little english, own backroom squad, lots of meaningless friendlies, lots of call ups of average players, continous changes etc etc, massive salary

I am starting to think ( and hoping) that Capello is going to balls england up good and proper, warnock, hart, lewis and a few others, maybe good players but certainly not good enough forcaps

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Foreign manager well known, with little english, own backroom squad, lots of meaningless friendlies, lots of call ups of average players, continous changes etc etc, massive salary

I am starting to think ( and hoping) that Capello is going to balls england up good and proper, warnock, hart, lewis and a few others, maybe good players but certainly not good enough forcaps

Don't think so.

1. The friendly was to help swing the vote of CONCAF for the World Cup.

2. Most of the Utd/Chelsea players were giving the day off due to the Champs League final resulting in fringe players getting a go.

3. He's on a massive salary because he has been a success in every job he has taken.

Unfortunately, I think England will do well in the next major tournament. You can already see he is stamping his mark on the team and the main focus of their game is to keep the ball.

Vogts was just an absolute disaster and it's no surprise the SFA managed to appoint someone like that. They can't even draw names out of a hat for a cup competition.

Nonsense.

vegas-voss

I wish Scotland had went for Trapatoni in fact i wish Hearts had went for Trapatoni.

Unfortunately for non-England supporters Capello has been a success everywhere he's been and I think he'll do well with England.

They have been chronic underachievers for years and he can't change that overnight.

The Future's Maroon
Don't think so.

1. The friendly was to help swing the vote of CONCAF for the World Cup.

2. Most of the Utd/Chelsea players were giving the day off due to the Champs League final resulting in fringe players getting a go.

3. He's on a massive salary because he has been a success in every job he has taken.

Unfortunately, I think England will do well in the next major tournament. You can already see he is stamping his mark on the team and the main focus of their game is to keep the ball.

Vogts was just an absolute disaster and it's no surprise the SFA managed to appoint someone like that. They can't even draw names out of a hat for a cup competition.

Spot on mate.

shaun.lawson

LOL! If Capello doesn't get England to the last four of the next World Cup, I'll be very surprised.

vegas-voss
LOL! If Capello doesn't get England to the last four of the next World Cup, I'll be very surprised.

That's a bold statement.They still have not got tha technical skill of the big 4 in world football or the winning mentality of the German's i think it will be a case of last 8 at best again.

shaun.lawson
That's a bold statement.They still have not got tha technical skill of the big 4 in world football or the winning mentality of the German's i think it will be a case of last 8 at best again.

Oh, you're absolutely right about our chronic lack of technique. I'm convinced Capello will be able to install a calmer, tougher mentality though, and get us passing the ball as well as anyone is ever able to. High tempo, direct football just doesn't work at international level - but if you consider it got us to within a penalty shoot-out of the semis in successive tournaments under Sven, I don't think it's a stretch to think a plainly more accomplished manager will be able to do that bit better.

Historically, the pass mark for England is the quarter-finals; and the semis equals success. Any international side has to have something extra to reach the last four, and we'd no doubt need to ride our luck (as against Cameroon in 1990, or Spain in 1996) - but the one thing we still have in our favour is we remain hard to beat in big tournaments. It's the Dunkirk thing, basically: what Don Fabio needs to do is add some real savvy and belief (especially when it comes to those pesky penalties!), and I think he can.

It's the Dunkirk thing, basically

What, Scots sacrificied so the Green Howards can get off the beach ok? :P

FWIW - Capello is a very shrewd appointment. He is his own man and will pick the players that HE thinks will win. I suspect he couldn't give two hoots what Henry Winter and his cadre think.

vegas-voss
Oh, you're absolutely right about our chronic lack of technique. I'm convinced Capello will be able to install a calmer, tougher mentality though, and get us passing the ball as well as anyone is ever able to. High tempo, direct football just doesn't work at international level - but if you consider it got us to within a penalty shoot-out of the semis in successive tournaments under Sven, I don't think it's a stretch to think a plainly more accomplished manager will be able to do that bit better.

Historically, the pass mark for England is the quarter-finals; and the semis equals success. Any international side has to have something extra to reach the last four, and we'd no doubt need to ride our luck (as against Cameroon in 1990, or Spain in 1996) - but the one thing we still have in our favour is we remain hard to beat in big tournaments. It's the Dunkirk thing, basically: what Don Fabio needs to do is add some real savvy and belief (especially when it comes to those pesky penalties!), and I think he can.

Alot of the time it's the mass hysteria that's England's undoing when they put a few goals past some **** in the group stage of the final's that the players get taking in with aswell only for the bottle to crash when they come up against the real nitty gritting under the realisation that they just aint good enough again.

shaun.lawson
Alot of the time it's the mass hysteria that's England's undoing when they put a few goals past some **** in the group stage of the final's that the players get taking in with aswell only for the bottle to crash when they come up against the real nitty gritting under the realisation that they just aint good enough again.

You're dead right: the hype certainly doesn't help! I must stress it emanates almost entirely from the media though: most fans I know accepted our limitations long ago. But the press make the job horrendously tough for any manager: the same press who have no understanding of tactics at all, gloss over our extreme technical limitations as though they somehow don't count, and because of one victory on home soil in an event the rest of the world believes we cheated our way to glory in, lampoons every successive incumbent for the crime of failing to deliver the near impossible.

I also often sense that the players end up freezing under the weight of all that historical heartbreak, all those shootout defeats: Germany win shootouts because, naturally, they expect to - we lose them because we also expect to. That's one of Capello's greatest challenges: somehow changing our mentality so we can enter a penalty competition (which most tournament-winning sides invariably have to come through at least once) with real confidence. Lippi managed it with Italy, so it's not an impossible task - but it's a tough one, certainly.

The key is getting a balance between real self-belief on the one hand, but not having to endure crazy levels of expectation on the other. England folded when strongly fancied in 2006 and 1988; but equally, did really well in 1990 and 1996, both occasions when we began amid a climate of almost no expectation at all. But the trouble with the latter was it made the semis seem like real success; and when we came up against opponents who expected to win the whole thing, we were knocked out. After the semi in '96, Jurgen Klinsmann reported that he could actually sense the English players weren't confident once it had reached penalties: and that almost imperceptible difference in self-belief was the difference on the night.

Mental strength in the tightest of corners is why the Big Four (or really, Big Five: with two trophies and a runners-up spot over the last decade, France have graduated to this elite group) seem to continually prevail when it matters, while England, Spain and Holland keep coming up short; and indeed, is a big reason why I expect Germany to win Euro 2008, and not the accountably over-fancied Spanish.

CornhillHearts

Bad news for us Scots is that Capello is now a certainty to make England winners aka Prancerheehaws.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Vogts was a figure of fun in Germany before he came to Scotland. Can't see the comparison myself.

Those players are far better than what Scotland have to choose from (Gordon excepted). Englands problem over the last few years has been the size of egos and lack of effort from their so called world class players. Maybe Capello thinks he can get more from the average players than the superstars.

Bad news for us Scots is that Capello is now a certainty to make England winners aka Prancerheehaws.

I'm a Scot, and it's not bad news for me.

Don't generalise please.

jamboinglasgow

to me the problem for england is that there needs to be alot thats changes before they can be a great challeneger for world cups. Cabbage man Capello will help England alot and he is part of the fixes as long as he is not the only change.

The most important thing is to change the whole nature of English football i.e. more technical, more intelligent on the ball etc. The youth systems in the top4 are full of foregin youngsters due to some silly rules made by FA which may have seemed like a good idea at the time. The generation that came through Man Utd over 10 years ago with Scholes, Beckham, Nevilles and a few others was a boost that helped England now this kind of thing that doesn't happen as much now.

Though there are some quality English players in the young line ups. Theo Wilcott and others that are known but Spurs look to have signed great prospect John Bostock and if this youtube clip of his U18 match is anything to go by young Jack Wilshere should be some quality:

What I am saying is England needs to keep the level up and bring in more so that they can a larger selection to choose, plus I think some youngsters should be encouraged to go to Seria A or the spanish leagues as it will teach them alot about football.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Spurs look to have signed great prospect John Bostock

Hopefully they make a bit more of him than they did of Wayne Routledge

Suck eggs If I said us Brits it would be construed as being loyalist.

Thank you. :wacko:

tommythejambo

I was thinking the exact same last night.

Pointlessly trying out loads of average players.

I was thinking the exact same last night.

Pointlessly trying out loads of average players.

haha... yeh.. Engerland have been kite due to Mclaren feeling he had to pick STARS... he didnt and shouldnt have.

It was clear the Engerland of old couldnt play 'together'.... Capello's seen this and is looking at other options

If you ask me I think he's done a very good job.

rudi must stay

nah. I think he'll do a great job, he has them playing decent passing football and there defence looks alot stronger already, he's only been in the job a few months.

Agree with the last bit though, it was a friendly though so there was no harm in giving them a chance.

Archived