Topical auldie

Morgan

That is exactly what Baird did although he did score a few as well his goal scoring ratio was miles better than Fozzie.

Foster was so fast when he set off he did get the crowd going just his end product was dreadful.

I remember a Celtic match at Tynecastle that we drew and Foster burst clean through on Pat Bonner in the last minute and Roy Aitken just body checked him clean out the game in the box - as was the fashion of the day the ref just waved play on.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I remember both in playing style and ability. Surprised at Baird having a better goal scoring record though.

J.T.F.Robertson

My local ;-)

One way or another I might "know" you. Am in there pretty much every day when I'm back. (which is frequently)

Was still too young to go boozing at the game so remember this day vividly. What a celebration.

Me too.

Wasn't even that in to football/Hearts at the time but I remember there was a buzz leading up to this game in my primary school class, so I watched it with my dad on TV. Probably one of the first games I actually gave a shit about and was dancing about in the living room when Fozzy scored.

One way or another I might "know" you. Am in there pretty much every day when I'm back. (which is frequently)

Had a feeling we would hear from you when the Mill was mentioned. :biggrin:

J.T.F.Robertson

Had a feeling we would hear from you when the Mill was mentioned. :biggrin:

"Predictability", another old age inevitable. :(

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

He seemed to come from nowhere to score that goal. He played a lot under MacDonald but I can't remember him featuring at all under Jordan and barely under Clark until that game. And what a game - genuinely one of the best moments of my life.

I always thought 1989/90 was Wayne's best season.

He'd been out the team for a while prior to a game at Pittodrie in October '89. Alex McDonald said beforehand that his return would be like a new signing. A bit of a clich? but he wasn't wrong. He looked an entirely different player and was terrific in our 3-1 win.

A few weeks later he opened the scoring and ran Dundee ragged in the 6-3 game.

Not sure of the reason for his improvement (perhaps they'd work on his fitness?) but '89/90 was a good season and Fozzy played his part.

queensferryjambo

Yeah, that's pretty much how I remember both in playing style and ability. Surprised at Baird having a better goal scoring record though.

Yeah remarkably better Baird was 15 goasl in 64 appearances and Foster 12 goals in 160 appearances.

To be fair to Foster though Baird did probably start most of his games and Foster was a substitute and awful lot.

I like Wayne Foster and will forever cherish THAT goal.

...but how come he was still at the club in 1994? Joe Jordan clearly didn't rate him, but I'm assuming he must've given him a contract at some point?

The Future's Maroon

No might about it Jim, you certainly do ;-)

I am guessing the T in your username is Thomas (Tam)!!

You must be due to come back over the water in a couple of months....to see your nephew!

J.T.F.Robertson

No might about it Jim, you certainly do ;-)

I am guessing the T in your username is Thomas (Tam)!!

You must be due to come back over the water in a couple of months....to see your nephew!

I think I'm with you now, the "nephew" being the giveaway.

No, I was named after my granddad on my mum's side, the "T.F." is Taylor Ford. My brother was short-changed in that department being named after dad's dad and consequently only has the one handle to his jug.

Aye, hope to be back again soon, all going well.

As others have said, he wasn't very good. That goal apart I can't really recall anything else of significance during what was a pretty lengthy spell at Tynecastle.

Was there not a stat that the fence goal was his first in 30 odd games? It was a different era when squads remained largely the same season to season and players could last for years as a senior reserve player.

Foster's last few years at Hearts is the equivalent of Hearts retaining say David Smith on the books for a number of seasons just to play the odd game here and there.

Archived