Topical auldie

Morgan

In light of yesterdays cup draw, thought it would be appropriate to ask folks thoughts and memories (apart from the obvious one) of Super Wayne.

I had a few others in mind to do before Fozzie but feel the timing is perfect now.

Think he could play in three weeks time by the way? ;)

Foster and Rudi upfront...

Memories of 'Super Wayne', is that cup goal apart, he couldn't hit a coo's arse with a banjo.

Aye, there is that!

I didn't see the ball cross the line. Stood near the segregation fence in the Dunbar end that day so had a side on view of Fozzy sprinting through. When his shot beat Leighton the fans behind the goal who, of course, could see it was on target began celebrating and that was that.

All happened in a split second but will never forget the scenes. The last few mins of the game and the 10-15 after were superb.

PS My mates and I contributed heavily to the winding up of the Hibbies through the fence at the end. When Fozzy is being interviewed on the pitch at the end you can see their fans losing the plot over his shoulder.

Still have it all on video somewhere.

didn't we go to Dens in midweek after the ER game and he scored there also in a crucial win?

Rings a bell Neil.

Remember once we were struggling to break Motherwell down and he got himself stupidily sent off. We then scored 3 goals in about 5 minutes!

Memories of 'Super Wayne', is that cup goal apart, he couldn't hit a coo's arse with a banjo.

I do recall at one home game, he managed a left hook on target on someone's jaw which resulted in his "Tyson" nickname that season but generally, coo's erses were rarely troubled by his banjo.

Goldstone Wonder

I remember thinking that at least we'll waste some time when he came charging in on goal. Never occurred to me that he would score. He had pace and very little else. His composure that day was a complete revelation!

Amoruso_lets_it_run

I was 12 at the time so can't remember too much about the game but remember the celebrations after the goal being absolutely wild. One of the best footballing memories for me..

I do recall at one home game, he managed a left hook on target on someone's jaw which resulted in his "Tyson" nickname that season but generally, coo's erses were rarely troubled by his banjo.

I'll admit to thinking "oh no, not Fozzy" when Gary Mackay lifted the ball over the Hobo's back line at ER during that cup tie - same as I thought when the ball fell to Miko's left foot during the 3-2 derby at Tynecastle.

Turned out I had nothing to worry about in both cases!

Banged in the goals in Europe IIRC but he was in fact ...

Shite.

A better postie than Nipper Lawrence though.

scott herbertson

Is there any  footage of the commentary team after the match, where IIRC Derek Johnstone was slavering on and and someone climbed onto the window behind him with a giant 'key to the door' 21st Birthday key much to the amusement of the others int he gantry.

jambos are go!

Walter Kidd once said to me that Foster was a great forward player and if he scored more goals he would be a million pound player at a time when that meant something.

Never forget sitting in the wing stand at ER and watching the ball go though Leightons legs and make its way surely to the net.

A better postie than Nipper Lawrence though.

In my opinion, Lawrence should never have got near a Hearts jersey.

Carl Fredrickson

IIRC the first time I saw him was a preseason game just after our infamous title challenge in 86.

It was pre internet days and any new signing was quite exciting. I was hoping we would be adding to our squad for another title push and Foster was like a whippet. 

Being in my mid teens I wasnt enamoured with the signing but kept hope that maybe he was taking time to settle. 

His goal against the hobos has allowed him a legendary status that his other 5 or 6 years didnt warrant.

Nice guy, fast as feck but nor a very good footballer. 

Fxxx the SPFL

Carnage after the goal at fester road better than the rumble after Temp's goal at Anfield. However I'm sure Fozzie was capped at u21 level for England when he was with Preston I believe. Seen him doing the postie rounds around the Murrayfield/Ravelston area and sometimes pops into the Ardmillan for a pint would be happy to buy him one next time he is in. If your reading this Fozzie pint's on me.

Carl Fredrickson

In my opinion, Lawrence should never have got near a Hearts jersey.

For footballing reasons?

I mind his performance v Rangers at Ibrox when Magic scored a hat trick. Nipper and JC were in the team but Robbo was dropped. Pregame I was shaking with rage but JJ has forgot more about tactics than I will ever know. 

Our front 3 ripped Rangers apart on breakaways and Nipper played a large part in the victory.

He helped us out when JJ was rebuilding a crap squad that he inherited from Tommy fecking McLean. Colin Cramb or Nipper?

For footballing reasons?

I mind his performance v Rangers at Ibrox when Magic scored a hat trick. Nipper and JC were in the team but Robbo was dropped. Pregame I was shaking with rage but JJ has forgot more about tactics than I will ever know. 

Our front 3 ripped Rangers apart on breakaways and Nipper played a large part in the victory.

He helped us out when JJ was rebuilding a crap squad that he inherited from Tommy fecking McLean. Colin Cramb or Nipper?

Yeah, purely footballing reasons.

I thought he was rubbish.

Carl Fredrickson

Yeah, purely footballing reasons.

I thought he was rubbish.

Ah well, the beauty of football - it divides opinions. He wasnt the best but I wouldnt have called him rubbish. I could probably name 20 or 30 forwards I would say were worse in the last 30 years or so. 

Goldstone Wonder

Carnage after the goal at fester road better than the rumble after Temp's goal at Anfield. However I'm sure Fozzie was capped at u21 level for England when he was with Preston I believe. Seen him doing the postie rounds around the Murrayfield/Ravelston area and sometimes pops into the Ardmillan for a pint would be happy to buy him one next time he is in. If your reading this Fozzie pint's on me.

He used to live across the road from the Ardmillan in the late 90s iirc. Not sure if he still does. Did the "Wayne Foster Watch" thread not attain Gold status?

Wayne had started to become more and more bit part by the early 90s and divided opinion hugely amongst the support.

I thought he was finished the day he stood on the ball and fell over in a cup match around 1992. He was roundly mocked in the stadium by his own fans and sarcastically clapped off when subbed.

Returned for his finest moment in 94 after very few games the previous season.

Now has a memorable place in Hearts history.

A fairytale ending indeed.

For footballing reasons?

Agreed: file alongside Willie Jamieson - neither were the best, nor were they popular signings for obvious reasons, but they came in, did their best, and didn't let us down.

I remember that game and was in line when he done it and it looked more like a forearm smash that Mick McManus would have been proud of.

I remember that game and was in line when he done it and it looked more like a forearm smash that Mick McManus would have been proud of.

Bizarrely enough he only got a yellow card for this incident. Pretty sure it was against Motherwell as well.

jambos are go!

For footballing reasons?

Lawrence was a better footbaler than I thought when I saw him in a Hearts Jersey.Thought he was just a wee hustler but had some skills it turned out.

He used to live across the road from the Ardmillan in the late 90s iirc. Not sure if he still does. Did the "Wayne Foster Watch" thread not attain Gold status?

Probably does stay in that area still. Saw him in ASDA at Chesser not so long ago.

luckyBatistuta

Probably does stay in that area still. Saw him in ASDA at Chesser not so long ago.

Just off slateford road near there :thumbsup:

He was better at hitting the postage stamp in his next employment, but will always be a legend for that goal.

Bizarrely enough he only got a yellow card for this incident. Pretty sure it was against Motherwell as well.

Possibly, I can't remember, I just remembered something else about Fozzie, i remember him being subsituited against Partick I think and he runs over into the Partick dugout and sits down only to be told by their subs he was in the wrong place.

Tommy Coyle of Celtic?

Tommy Coyle of Celtic?

Tommy Coyne if it was Sellick, Owen Coyle if it was almost anyone else (not r*ng*rs tho...). Either was deserving of a dunt, especially Tommy Coyne!

Quite like reading these threads, interesting though most are before my time a wee bit. I do remember Foster though. He looked pretty pacy I seem to remember. Wasn't at the famous derby match but seen the footage plenty times.

MacDonald Jardine

Possibly, I can't remember, I just remembered something else about Fozzie, i remember him being subsituited against Partick I think and he runs over into the Partick dugout and sits down only to be told by their subs he was in the wrong place.

Was it not the other way around?

He'd signed for Partick, was subbed at Tynecastle and ran to the home dugout.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Was it not the other way around?

He'd signed for Partick, was subbed at Tynecastle and ran to the home dugout.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

that sounds like it ::facepaw::

IIRC, a week or so after the Hibs cup glory game, Foster scored an absolute belter v Rangers at Tynecastle in a 2-1 defeat. Foster's I think was a consolation.

Scored after 30 seconds or something against Dukla Prague in the home leg of the tie, 1986. Possibly his debut?

queensferryjambo

Wayne Foster was an OK player in an era when we had forwards like Robertson, Clark, Colquhoun, Baird, and Crabbe so he was limited on appearances and just not as good as them,

Apart from the goal at Easter Road I seem to remember him scoring a beauty against Tottenham and a cracker against Rangers (which was I think one of the last goals in front of the shed before it was flattened).

The Fozzie on the fence game was dreadful to watch and thank god Wayne stepped up to give us another moment to remember. 

Wayne Foster was an OK player in an era when we had forwards like Robertson, Clark, Colquhoun, Baird, and Crabbe so he was limited on appearances and just not as good as them,

Apart from the goal at Easter Road I seem to remember him scoring a beauty against Tottenham and a cracker against Rangers (which was I think one of the last goals in front of the shed before it was flattened).

The Fozzie on the fence game was dreadful to watch and thank god Wayne stepped up to give us another moment to remember.

I never rated Baird particularly highly. I remember him being pretty clumsy, almost like a battering ram with Robbo feeding of the ensuing melee he caused. I would have probably put Foster ahead of him but I was 12-14 when watching them play.

williejamiesonlesftfoot

I didn't see the ball cross the line. Stood near the segregation fence in the Dunbar end that day so had a side on view of Fozzy sprinting through. When his shot beat Leighton the fans behind the goal who, of course, could see it was on target began celebrating and that was that.

All happened in a split second but will never forget the scenes. The last few mins of the game and the 10-15 after were superb.

PS My mates and I contributed heavily to the winding up of the Hibbies through the fence at the end. When Fozzy is being interviewed on the pitch at the end you can see their fans losing the plot over his shoulder.

Still have it all on video somewhere.

Should get it put on DVD and post it.

queensferryjambo

I never rated Baird particularly highly. I remember him being pretty clumsy, almost like a battering ram with Robbo feeding of the ensuing melee he caused. I would have probably put Foster ahead of him but I was 12-14 when watching them play.

That is exactly what Baird did although he did score a few as well his goal scoring ratio was miles better than Fozzie.

Foster was so fast when he set off he did get the crowd going just his end product was dreadful.

I remember a Celtic match at Tynecastle that we drew and Foster burst clean through on Pat Bonner in the last minute and Roy Aitken just body checked him clean out the game in the box - as was the fashion of the day the ref just waved play on.

The Future's Maroon

Wayne still comes in my local quite a lot, nice guy....actually said he sometimes gets pissed off with folk approaching him about that goal, but will rarely turn down a pint on the back of it.

Really nice, down to earth and funny guy....may not have been a brilliant player (which he admits), but certainly knows his stuff about football from many occasions of sitting with him watching games on the box.

Likes a wee gamble to himself and does fairly well.

Wayne still comes in my local quite a lot, nice guy....actually said he sometimes gets pissed off with folk approaching him about that goal, but will rarely turn down a pint on the back of it.

Really nice, down to earth and funny guy....may not have been a brilliant player (which he admits), but certainly knows his stuff about football from many occasions of sitting with him watching games on the box.

Likes a wee gamble to himself and does fairly well.

he was happy enough to take a pint off me in the Gray's Mill a few years back (which I was more than happy enough to buy him ) :brucey:

The Future's Maroon

he was happy enough to take a pint off me in the Gray's Mill a few years back

My local ;-)

The Future's Maroon

no been in for a couple of years but we will have passed at the bar no doubt :olly:  :olly:

100% we will have!

Archived