David Bowie

Gershwin

I see David Bowie has just died.

Didn't realise he was fighting cancer.

Absolutely gutted at that. The word legend gets used far too often but it definitely applied to Bowie. RIP.

Again never even knew he was ill was just discussing him yesterday as well affter watching The Martian which he is on the soundtrack to.

Quite taken aback.

Only on Friday was there a double page spread about his new album and recent resurgence.

RIP.

Low, Heroes and Lodger are all great albums.
Talented actor too. I just went to an outdoor cinema showing of Labyrinth on Thursday night and I still loved it. The Man Who Fell to Earth was one of my favourite films in my uni days. Mr Lawrence was great too.
A great artist with a colossal talent.
Probably the most significant death in music since James Brown.

Shocked. He made a number of recent public appearances to promote his Lazarus musical stage play.

Just got his new album yesterday that had positive reviews.

Shocked, stunned, I new he had heart problems but not cancer. To finish his career with ?Lazarus? and the opening line ?Look up here, I?m in heaven? he must have new he was near the end.

Captain America

RIP

Never knew he was ill. News came as real shock when seen it this morning.

Man was an icon. So influential & worthy of the title legend.

I hope folks don't mind that I posted this, his latest video which for me shows his amazing talent as an all round artist.

I'm genuinely upset by this. Grew up a fan and can't remember a time I never knew his music. I'm really shocked to hear of his passing.

As dannie boy posted lazarus, I saw the video for the first time this morning and found it really poignant. Terrific actor, incredible musician, an icon and very interesting man. Loved him in interviews as he always came over as a very warm, funny man.

He's inspired so many and this is one of the saddest losses to music I can think of in years

RIP Bowie. You'll never be forgotten

Speechless and utterly heartbroken. The man defines legend and he was still creating genius right up until his death.

Jam Tarts 1874

I hope folks don't mind that I posted this, his latest video which for me shows his amazing talent as an all round artist.

That must have taken a hell of a lot out of him to put that together in the condition he was in, a hero to the end.

Real tears this moring. RIP

Terrible news.

I wouldn't say I was a massive fan, but there are certainly periods of his work that I really like and he always came across as a decent bloke.

Very sad.

Fitzroy Pointon

Sad, sad news.  RIP 

Legend is a word that is overused these days but he's is up there without a doubt.  

Went to TITP with my mum in 2004 when I was 9. (Young age I know but I was a Darkness fan at the time :ninja: also my mum showed me that you can enjoy a music festival without getting in a state which some of my peers don't realise).

Bowie was supposed to headline the main stage I'm sure and was a bit underwhelmed at this. She wasn't a fan at all.

Anyway, Bowie pulled out due to illness quite late on. At my age it was water off a ducks back although looking back, I'd have loved to have said I had seen him live.

Not a huge fan as such myself either but I've a lot of respect for him nonetheless.

RIP.

Went to TITP with my mum in 2004 when I was 9. (Young age I know but I was a Darkness fan at the time :ninja: also my mum showed me that you can enjoy a music festival without getting in a state which some of my peers don't realise).

Bowie was supposed to headline the main stage I'm sure and was a bit underwhelmed at this. She wasn't a fan at all.

Anyway, Bowie pulled out due to illness quite late on. At my age it was water off a ducks back although looking back, I'd have loved to have said I had seen him live.

Not a huge fan as such myself either but I've a lot of respect for him nonetheless.

RIP.

Wasn't it The Darkness that took his slot?

RIP David, his music on Radio Forth 2 just now, great singer and actor, remember him in the film Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.

Wasn't it The Darkness that took his slot?

Yeah they closed the night on the main stage in the end.

I always remember because Muse headlined the NME stage and my mum was a huge Muse fan, but she made sure I got to see the Darkness.

Looking back I wish she'd been more selfish and took me to see Muse. :lol:

Very sad news. He was quite simply one of the greatest and most innovative artists of all time.

Shocked. The news just doesn't compute with me at all. Bowie was supposed to live forever and be making crazy music in his 80's.

zoltan socrates

Shaped the future at a time when the 60s was running out of steam, iconic, seminal, ten years ahead of the competition

Aladdin Sane, Ziggy Stardust , The Man WHo Sold The World, Diamond Dogs & Hunky Dory.

The best albums I bought in the 70s.

Truly one of the greats.

Been a fan pretty much since I started listening to music. My mates older brother used to let us listen to his early albums. I started buying late 70's with Low and Heroes. Didn't always get where he was going, (Let's Dance, Tin Machine), but never boring. The Next Day was my favourite album last year, a real return to form and I was looking forward to getting Blackstar next weekend. Sad loss.

Can't think of another British solo rock artist who comes close

Shocked. The news just doesn't compute with me at all. Bowie was supposed to live forever and be making crazy music in his 80's.

This

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

Absolutely terrible news to wake up to. Only yesterday I was talking about his genius at length with my sister, and I had decided I was going to listen to his new album on the way to work.

Instead I went for the classics. Genuine tears on the bus this morning. I feel so sad.

RIP David Bowie x

Archived