favorite chippy

maroonlegions

Have to add to the list of people who love Giovanni's in Northfield. Best fish supper ever in there....

Nah don't think so. The current holder is the Townhead Cafe in Biggar and Anstruther won it the year before 2006/07. The family that own Anstruthers Chippy, The Smiths, have had it for a few years I think.

Like Chester, I enjoy ma chippies :dribble:

There was a chippy in Falkirk or Polmont that was shortlisted, I went there one lunchtime years ago but can;t remember how good or bad it was...

Was at the Townhead Cafe a few months back.

It is good, but no chippy sauce :(

In Edinburgh, the best chippy's have to be:

• Rapido's
  • L'Alba D'oro
  • Monte Bianco's

The worst chippy's have to be:

• That one of Rose Street
  • The Clifton, at Haymarket
  • The Bar-b-que (fish is terrible imo, pizza's are good though).

i don't eat fish suppers, but i like a bit of the batter i must admit

my fave chippy has to be the disco chippy.....

step forward the piccante

love the place, always get treated really well, and you can have a beer/vodka/wine etc while you stuff you face!

jambos are go!
Juniper Green - Pentland Fry is a brilliant chippy :)

Yes except the chips. They are consistently poor to the extent I take a single supper. Spent a half hour in the Railway Inn across the Road once with the folk round the bar making the same point and complaining that the owner wont be told.

Now has a sister restaurant here on Leith Walk. Been half-a-dozen times already.

"The Tailend" is pricy but most definitely the business :P:p:p

http://www.theedinburghblog.co.uk/eating-out/edinburghs-best-fish-chips-the-tailend-restaurant-fish-bar/04-26-2008/index.html

The best place in Edinburgh for fish and chips always has been and always will be the Peacock in Newhaven.

DarthVodka
Fish Supper from Giovanni's chippy in Northfield has to be the best I've ever had, and trust me, I know my chippy's.

Gio's used to be very good, but it has definitely gone a bit down hill these days I have to admit

My fav chippy these days is the Gold Sea in Ferry Rd

Legend Claws
King Rib supper and it HAS to be from Balgreen Fryer. Its cheap, foods lovely and nice staff.

Ever looked in to what you are actually ingesting whilst eating a King Rib?

:boak:

Not been in ages but La Campagnola at drumsheugh gardens used to be a cracking chippy !!

Ray Winstone
Terrible chipper.

The Corbie has been rank ever since he sold it.

Im throwing in another vote for Francos on Raeburn Place.

Also the Ashvale in Aberdeen is quality.

So who's all been to that award winning Chippy in Anstruther. Its supposed to be minted, but never been maself.

I was speaking to a guy in my work a few weeks back about chippys as he comes from Anstruther and he was telling me that one half of the partnership from the chippy in Anstruther has opened up a chippy in Edinburgh.

As far as i know it is on leith walk and is called the tail end or something like that,it is not far down from the brunswick road opening seemingly,he said that the guy uses the same suppliers as the Anstruther chippy so you may want to try it out.

Terrible Trio

the one up beside the park in quality street, north berwick

romanos (burntisland)

barbecue

Terrible Trio
King Rib supper and it HAS to be from Balgreen Fryer. Its cheap, foods lovely and nice staff.

do you fancy the bird as well ;)

The Corbie has been rank ever since he sold it.

Im throwing in another vote for Francos on Raeburn Place.

Also the Ashvale in Aberdeen is quality.

Best chippy ever and I am not the biggest chippy fan! My dad once had the whale meal and he finished it, i was so proud!

tommythejambo
Fish Supper from Giovanni's chippy in Northfield has to be the best I've ever had, and trust me, I know my chippy's.

Stay just up the road from Giovannis and I am not a fan.

Had a bag of chips out of there a while ago and was almost sick halfway through (didn't help that I had just left Broadfield's a bit worse for wear). The baracuda at the other end of Northfield isn't too bad if you are in for Pizza's etc.

I'm a hamburger supper man, for the record.

Mine is either Aldo's at Sighthill or Pentland Fry on Lanark Road.

Sausage Supper from both are as nice as eachother :) :)

heartgarfunkel
Have to add to the list of people who love Giovanni's in Northfield. Best fish supper ever in there....

Agreed, just sauce, no salt thanks.

The Mighty Thor
The best place in Edinburgh for fish and chips always has been and always will be the Peacock in Newhaven.

It's a good place Tazio but the last couple of my frequent visits i've been disappointed. The batter has let it down. The last fish and chips i had (ladies portion and it was huge) the batter must have been carrying about a litre of fat. struggled through but felt ropey afterwards.

Still the best fish tea (fish and chips, bread and butter and a pot of tea) in edinburgh for me though.

Charlie-Brown

The Chippy up the hill from where the buses parked at Tannadice was always good as I recall.

big jambo g

Giovanni's chippy in Northfield when I stayed down there.

Brig Dunfermline or Golden Fry Lochgelly now.

Say What Again
Stay just up the road from Giovannis and I am not a fan.

Had a bag of chips out of there a while ago and was almost sick halfway through

I stay just round the corner from Giovanni's and have never liked their chips (doesn't stop me eating them mind you). The fish you get though is spot on and always massive.

A better chippy than Giovanni's by a mile - and I've stayed with 2 minutes of each of them - used to be Bene's on the Canongate, bottom of the Royal Mile.

Bene's sinced moved to a chippy in Port Seton so the old chippy's gone downhill.

Jambo Oscar

I've just had split a pepperoni and mushroom pizza with my hubby. Got it from Balgreen Fryer and it was delish! :P

jambos are go!
The Chippy up the hill from where the buses parked at Tannadice was always good as I recall.

Thanks for reminding me. Excellent Chippy.

A burger from Central, the chippy beside Potterow, has to be my favourite. They are brilliant and I always make an effort of getting one when I'm in the area. Unluckily, or luckily from a health point of view, they are too far away to deliver to my house.

Used to love the Pizza's from Monte Bianco but they started making them differently and now they just taste the same as the rest.

Don't know the name of it but there's a chip shop on the South Bridge open until 3am that I always go to when I'm on a night out at The Hive. Love their chips, cheese and mayonaisse.

davemclaren
A burger from Central, the chippy beside Potterow, has to be my favourite. They are brilliant and I always make an effort of getting one when I'm in the area. Unluckily, or luckily from a health point of view, they are too far away to deliver to my house.

Used to love the Pizza's from Monte Bianco but they started making them differently and now they just taste the same as the rest.

Don't know the name of it but there's a chip shop on the South Bridge open until 3am that I always go to when I'm on a night out at The Hive. Love their chips, cheese and mayonaisse.

:eek:

Its a fat man's paradise. :P:cool::cool_shades:

It's no coincidence my weight reached 15 stone for the first time in my life. Haven't touch any junk food in over a month and have managed to shade just under two stone off my weight.

I do miss chippy food though.

I always thought Giovannis was a bit over-rated, my fave has always been the Supperbowl (tonys) at Gilmerton

maroonlegions

for me it has to be Stefanos on Morningside road,consistent in all the time i have been there.Smoked sausage supper , mmmm:p:p:dribble:

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

It's been a while since I've been back home but L'Aquilia Bianca in Raeburn Place deserves a mention I think

Got to agree with you on this, Taz, even though I've not been for years - the batter on the fish is awesome - love it.:)

this_is_my_story

Fish supper from the BBQ on Glasgow Road takes some beating.

Cannae believe there's been no mention of the Gorgie fish bar though, never been disappointed with anything I've had from there.

Archived