favorite chippy

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

mines is a smoked sausage supper:dribble::P, mind you i think you should get 2 sausages though.:P

mines is a smoked sausage supper:dribble::P, mind you i think you should get 2 sausages though.:P

i whole heartedly agree, i have mine in batter though

salt sauce and vinegar:dribble:

chester copperpot

Fish Supper from Giovanni's chippy in Northfield has to be the best I've ever had, and trust me, I know my chippy's.

jamboinheaven

just ask for 2 ,and yes ask for batter

Fish Supper from Giovanni's chippy in Northfield has to be the best I've ever had, and trust me, I know my chippy's.

Have to agree with you there mate.

Charlie-Brown

Rapido (broughton st) without doubt is the best chippy although the deep sea is also good as is supper bowl (gilmerton), stephane's (morningside), and pacitti's under the bridge in dalry road used to be very good although I haven't been in there for approx 7 years.

chester copperpot
Rapido (broughton st) without doubt is the best chippy although the deep sea is also good as is supper bowl (gilmerton), stephane's (morningside), and pacitti's under the bridge in dalry road used to be very good although I haven't been in there for approx 7 years.

Anyone who rates the Deep Sea as good doesn't know their chippy's mate. Have you ever eaten out of there sober?

Fish supper from St Andrews on the road to Joppa...:P

chester copperpot
Fish supper from St Andrews on the road to Joppa...:P

The St Andrews is a cracking Chippy.

My top 3 in Edinburgh would be:

1. Giovanni's.

2. Barbeque (Corstorphine)

3. St Andrews.

jamboinheaven

i think the OP was asking what we all had from the chippy not what chippy we went too

chester copperpot
i think the OP was asking what we all had from the chippy not what chippy we went too

I rate all chippy's like I do Indians and Chinese restaurants.

Chippy's - By their Fish Suppers.

Indian's - By their Chicken Tikka Vindaloo's.

Chinese - By their Chicken Curry's.

davemclaren
I rate all chippy's like I do Indians and Chinese restaurants.

Chippy's - By their Fish Suppers.

Indian's - By their Chicken Tikka Vindaloo's.

Chinese - By their Chicken Curry's.

I take it that food plays a big part in your life. :P

Pete Seeger

I can honestly say that I'm always disappointed with chippy's in Edinburgh. Bu the best out of a bad lot for me are St Johns and one down the shore, can't mind it's name. Also the Pentland fry In Juniper Green is ok. I'm either a fish, chiken or King rib man myself.

jamboinheaven
I can honestly say that I'm always disappointed with chippy's in Edinburgh. Bu the best out of a bad lot for me are St Johns and one down the shore, can't mind it's name. Also the Pentland fry In Juniper Green is ok. I'm either a fish, chiken or King rib man myself.

what city has better chippys?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Giovannis in Northfield is indeed the best chippy in Edinburgh.

Really nice family that run it as well.

Can't beat a nice greasy hamburger and chip roll. ;)

Pete Seeger
what city has better chippys?

I tend to find small towns have better chippy's. From my experience anyway. All the ones in Stirling are terrible but the smaller towns around it have good chippy's. Just about every town in Fife has a good chippy. Were you offended by my Edinburgh chippy bashing?;)

Bordeaux 03

The best haggis supper i have tasted is from Castle Rock, you get an actual half haggis.

Hardly ever have chippys nowadays.

When I do I usually go for a half fried pizza or, if I've had a few pints, a fish or mince pie supper.

The best chippy I've ever tasted in my life is the one outside Pittodrie, can't remember its name. Their fish suppers are out of this world; have one every time we play there.

Jambo Oscar

King Rib supper and it HAS to be from Balgreen Fryer. Its cheap, foods lovely and nice staff.

Denny Crane

Franco's on Raeburn Place

Mark_Mywords

Chicken leg, haggis or Sea bass fillet supper from L'ALBA D'ORO, Henderson Row.

Anima next door to it is also fantastic for it's pasta and pizza's.

jamboinheaven
Chicken leg, haggis or Sea bass fillet supper from L'ALBA D'ORO, Henderson Row.

Anima next door to it is also fantastic for it's pasta and pizza's.

do they always have sea bass?

chester copperpot

So who's all been to that award winning Chippy in Anstruther. Its supposed to be minted, but never been maself.

jamboinheaven
So who's all been to that award winning Chippy in Anstruther. Its supposed to be minted, but never been maself.

i have and it is overrated

Pete Seeger

It's good. My favourite chippy is one in Stonehaven though. Always stop on the way back down from the cod heid games.

chester copperpot
i have and it is overrated

Is it aye. Shame as I'd heard it was really really good.

Know the one you're talking about Ukol. Had a lovely fish supper a few seasons back when I drove up to the Aberdeen match and we stopped off in Stonehaven to meet a few folk.

Mark_Mywords
do they always have sea bass?

No. They usually have a fish 'special' on. Sea bass, Hake, Sea Bream

etc. Cooked in breadcrumbs.

The missus and I go along about once a month as its only about 15 / 20 minutes from us. The fish suppers there are outstanding, lovely piece of fish and the batter is fantastic, well worth a trip up for you...

There's a chippy 5 minutes from us in Newport and the guy used to work in Anstruther, he's tried to replicate but doesn't get it as spot on as the original, still good tho...

I had a half pizza supper from BBQ earlier on today...lovely darts... :cool:

The missus and I go along about once a month as its only about 15 / 20 minutes from us. The fish suppers there are outstanding, lovely piece of fish and the batter is fantastic, well worth a trip up for you...

There's a chippy 5 minutes from us in Newport and the guy used to work in Anstruther, he's tried to replicate but doesn't get it as spot on as the original, still good tho...

Heard its good but was up there 2 weeks ago and there was a sign outside which said 7.95/8.95 per fish supper. Dont know if that was for sit in or not as had already eaten and didnt pay that much attention to it. Seems quite expensive tho!

jamboinheaven

my mum has a caravan up in tayport,that chippy in newport is skanking,last time i had a fish supper it tasted like soap

Drew Busby !

Now has a sister restaurant here on Leith Walk. Been half-a-dozen times already.

"The Tailend" is pricy but most definitely the business :P:p:p

http://www.theedinburghblog.co.uk/eating-out/edinburghs-best-fish-chips-the-tailend-restaurant-fish-bar/04-26-2008/index.html

Ohhh hell noooo!!! Giovanni's, you mentalist

my mum has a caravan up in tayport,that chippy in newport is skanking,last time i had a fish supper it tasted like soap

You must've been pretty unlucky then as everyone round here have never had food that tastes like soap and the guy has queues out the door most nights. But seeing you didn't like Anstruther either, wich has awards falling out its doors, maybe your taste buds need hosed??? :P

Only a Game

Up until about 18 months ago it was brilliant and worth the trip to go to.

Last twice we have been its been really disappointing and if your going from central Edinburgh now you'll pass at least 5 better chippies on the way to Anstruther.

Heard its good but was up there 2 weeks ago and there was a sign outside which said 7.95/8.95 per fish supper. Dont know if that was for sit in or not as had already eaten and didnt pay that much attention to it. Seems quite expensive tho!

Think that must be to sit-in Michelle, we get 2 fish suppers and a couple of drinks for around a tenner when we go there...

jamboinheaven
You must've been pretty unlucky then as everyone round here have never had food that tastes like soap and the guy has queues out the door most nights. But seeing you didn't like Anstruther either, wich has awards falling out its doors, maybe your taste buds need hosed??? :P

the awards were with the old lot were they not?

Only a Game
Is it aye. Shame as I'd heard it was really really good.

Know the one you're talking about Ukol. Had a lovely fish supper a few seasons back when I drove up to the Aberdeen match and we stopped off in Stonehaven to meet a few folk.

There's a really good one in Aberdeen for the next time Hearts visit. The Ashvale. Got the biggest fish you'll ever see. Quick service, huge sit in area. Great staff, not bad prices and the food is top notch

I tend to find small towns have better chippy's. From my experience anyway. All the ones in Stirling are terrible but the smaller towns around it have good chippy's. Just about every town in Fife has a good chippy. Were you offended by my Edinburgh chippy bashing?;)

agree about fife chippys especially when it comes to fish and they do red puddings

the awards were with the old lot were they not?

Nah don't think so. The current holder is the Townhead Cafe in Biggar and Anstruther won it the year before 2006/07. The family that own Anstruthers Chippy, The Smiths, have had it for a few years I think.

Like Chester, I enjoy ma chippies :dribble:

There was a chippy in Falkirk or Polmont that was shortlisted, I went there one lunchtime years ago but can;t remember how good or bad it was...

chester copperpot

Commenting on the Fife chippy's theme. When I stayed in Rosyth, I tried a few chippies. One in Inverkeithing, one in Rosyth and the Brig in Dunfermline. Each time my fish had massive amount of bones in them, never did I get a fish supper in fife that didn't contain bones.

I know that you cannot guarantee not having bones, but after the 5th attempt, it put me right off.

The Wicker Man

Benny T's in Falkirk is usually very good - nice crisp batter on most things.

Anstruther, Pittenweem, Bervie chipper ( Inverbervie or Arbroath ) or the chippie at Kincardine do nice fish - usually freshly cooked to order.

For a sit in - the Peacock in Newhaven is hard to beat.

Would agree that Giovanni's is pretty awesome.

However i struggle to find a good king rib, can anybody help?

Pete Seeger
Benny T's in Falkirk is usually very good - nice crisp batter on most things.

Anstruther, Pittenweem, Bervie chipper ( Inverbervie or Arbroath ) or the chippie at Kincardine do nice fish - usually freshly cooked to order.

For a sit in - the Peacock in Newhaven is hard to beat.

Good shout.

bobthejambo

HE USED TO OWN THE CORRBIE IN D/MAINS

PsychocAndy

The Montgomery Street chippy for me. We get 2 fish suppers and either 1 or 2 oven baked Steak Pie supper, depending on the wee fella. Phil will never have more than 4 fish done so there always fresh.

:hobofish:

Goose Baxter

Scrunchie supper all the way!!!!

Takes about 3 years off your life but well worth it.

Pete Seeger
HE USED TO OWN THE CORRBIE IN D/MAINS

Terrible chipper.

Archived