Hearts reject ?1.5 million Berra offer from Wolves

djh83

Sunday Mail is saying that Romanov has has rejected a ?1.5million offer from Wolves for Berra. But only because it is below his ?2mil + valuation of our captain. Romanov is happy to sell every player on the roster providing the price is right. Bristol City are also interested in Berra.

Looks like Berra's played his last game for the Hearts. Personally I would keep him on, he been one of the few positives at Hearts recently.

Charlie-Brown
Sunday Mail is saying that Romanov has has rejected a ?1.5million offer from Wolves for Berra. But only because it is below his ?2mil + valuation of our captain. Romanov is happy to sell every player on the roster providing the price is right. Bristol City are also interested in Berra.

Looks like Berra's played his last game for the Hearts. Personally I would keep him on, he been one of the few positives at Hearts recently.

Every SPL team is in the same position however given our debt levels profitable player trading is essential.

For ?2m i would sell.

Charlie-Brown

Berra got his chance when Webster left, if Christophe leaves it will open the door for someone else and could be the opportunity that McGowan or Rapnik or even Sives if he can get fit again, have been waiting for.

Do The Dance
For ?2m i would sell.

Now I would tend to agree, and sell Berra. He's yet to convince me. However, we've barely seen any of the money from selling players in the last year or 2, so the amount of money probably makes no difference to us as fans!

Id rather see what our top players and young promising players can actually do under a proper manager before we flog them.

Jam Tarts 1874

?2m for Berra would be great business. He has not convinced me that he can be a great defender or a good organiser/leader. We are well covered with other young players coming through.

I'm sure this was meant to be a negative thread.

No not at all. Im not too fussed either way, but I think selling him now is a bit premature. If he has a good season with us under a proper manager and breaks into the Scotland squad then his stock can only go up.

The Mail also mentions the fact that there has been precious little new faces coming into Tynecastle.

Do The Dance
No not at all. Im not too fussed either way, but I think selling him now is a bit premature. If he has a good season with us under a proper manager and breaks into the Scotland squad then his stock can only go up.

Being a Scottish international player doesn't raise the stock much. What if he's dropped under a new manager?

I'd like to see him stay.

I accept that every player has a price and that all players eventually leave but a few things disappoint me about this.

As posted before I'd like to see the current squad under the stewardship of a good manager with sole control and see what the difference would be. Huge I think.

I'm fed up of VR selling every player we have of any quality and not replacing them AND not re-investing the money into the debt but instead keeping it.

Berra is a quality centre half who will improve and become one of the best in the country. We don't have the depth to replace him.

coppercrutch
Id rather see what our top players and young promising players can actually do under a proper manager before we flog them.

I would tend to agree. But if he goes he goes. Not the end of the World.

For ?2m i would sell.

aye sell him who wants to build a team and win trophies.

who cares if hearts new manager would want to kepp berra it's not as if any new manager will have a say on who goes or who comes in.

HEARTS........under romanov and his puppets = no honour, no pride and no ambition.

sickening isn't it.

Guest JamboRobbo

It's a toughy. Berra has some potential, but he's limited. IF we got a couple of million it'd be good business.

However, if we ever want to have a winning football team on the park, we need to think about building a team at some point and holding onto at least some of our better players, rather than selling everyone who we get a decent bid for.

As always, if only we had a manager, then we would have someone who could make a qualified judgement.

frankblack

Berra made a lot of mistakes last season as club captain, and failed to command the dressing room.

However, with no manager in and the clock ticking down before the new season starts, I wouldn't like to have to find a replacement.

A new manager will take time to stamp his authority on the team, clear out the deadwood, and bring in some new faces to plug all the weaknesses in our squad.

I am concerned that we just won't be ready in time for the start of the new season.

Pants Shaton

"Being champions would not be enough. I want to build a club at a high level in the game. I want to see the development of young players at the club, to see at least five more Scottish players in the team."

Vladimir Romanov, September 2006

(when Gordon, Pressley, Neilson and Hartley were all regulars)

Berra got his chance when Webster left, if Christophe leaves it will open the door for someone else and could be the opportunity that McGowan or Rapnik or even Sives if he can get fit again, have been waiting for.

McGowen and Rapnik aren't ready to step into Berra's boots just yet and start for us. Back ups maybe. As for Sives :(........Let's just hope Berra stays.

Famous Hearts

who cares if hearts new manager would want to kepp berra it's not as if any new manager will have a say on who goes or who comes in.

HEARTS........under romanov and his puppets = no honour, no pride and no ambition.

sickening isn't it.

Player sales are a board matter at any club.Aynybody that thinks this only happens under VR is seriously deluded.

Player sales are a board matter at any club.Aynybody that thinks this only happens under VR is seriously deluded.

and managers are never consulted...............i don't think so.

and what do our board members know about football.............nothing.

markletissier

i also want him to stay. he could form a rock solid defensive partnership with an experiences head and due to our woefull displays at the back last season, it's something we need.

always a jambo

I would keep Berra but bring in an experienced centre half to play alongside him.

Its all very well giving the youngsters a chance but you need to blend it with experienced players as well or there is no point

Robbo27_22

?2mill would be good business.

He's decent and has undoubtably suffered since Elvis left but ?2mill for him would be great price for him imo.

davemclaren

sickening isn't it.

But without VR what Hearts board would have ( allegedly ) rejected the ?1.5m.....a sense of reality is needed here.:rolleyes:

Pants Shaton

or about as much as we do.

Famous Hearts
and managers are never consulted...............i don't think so.

They might be consulted but the final decision will be a board decision.

This reminds me of the Velicka sale. Vlad jumped the gun on that one, Velicka was flogged way too soon, we could have got alot more for him and more out of him. He was banging the goals in and had he been allowed to see out the whole season with us he would have surely greatly added to his goal tally and thus his value (and not to mention probably got us in the top six).

Berra should stay for at least another season.

I'd take ?1.5 million for Berra. He does have potential, but he's never going to be a great player and ?1.5 million would be a good price for him.

Famous Hearts

The same as 99% of other clubs I would imagine.

I've never particuarly rated Berra and 2 million would be a more than fair valuation of him but why do I care? I care about watching a successful football team not engaging in some fantasy champ man books balancing. Whether he's good or not he's the best we have and if that means going back to Zaliukas every week then I'd be against selling him for 20 million. Does it matter anyway? While 4 million in "player registrations" leaves the club this money is meaningless to the debt.

I despair at the attitude of some on this forum. "2million would be a good deal", have we become like Hibees, is the balance sheet more important than the team? We have been regularly assured by the Romanov's that the financial side of the club is not a problem, so why the hell should we care if the sale of a player represents good value, surely we should just seek to keep the best team available?

In my opinion, players such as Berra and Driver should be not for sale this summer, both are still in the middle of long term contracts and both have yet to reach peak value in any event. We should be trying to off load non trying wage thiefs such as Kingston, Pinilla and Beslija, before we even begin to think about selling the real crown jewels of our club...Berra, Driver, Jonsson etc.

Charlie-Brown
I despair at the attitude of some on this forum. "2million would be a good deal", have we become like Hibees, is the balance sheet more important than the team? We have been regularly assured by the Romanov's that the financial side of the club is not a problem, so why the hell should we care if the sale of a player represents good value, surely we should just seek to keep the best team available?

In my opinion, players such as Berra and Driver should be not for sale this summer, both are still in the middle of long term contracts and both have yet to reach peak value in any event. We should be trying to off load non trying wage thiefs such as Kingston, Pinilla and Beslija, before we even begin to think about selling the real crown jewels of our club...Berra, Driver, Jonsson etc.

I agree with your main point Martin however at some point with every / any player it becomes more sensible to sell than to retain (Hutton being an example) so it depends what you consider to be the peak value of any player and whether you receive any bids above that level.....you also have to consider the players wishes - Berra may or may not fancy a move to Wolves / The Championship with Premiership prospects?

Cardiac Rucksack

The Mail also mentions the fact that there has been precious little new faces coming into Tynecastle.

As we dont have a manager then I should hope this is the case,I am sure that we have players inmind to come to us, but these wil be run past the manager.

Gigolo-Aunt
I agree with your main point Martin however at some point with every / any player it becomes more sensible to sell than to retain (Hutton being an example) so it depends what you consider to be the peak value of any player and whether you receive any bids above that level.....you also have to consider the players wishes - Berra may or may not fancy a move to Wolves / The Championship with Premiership prospects?

Have spoken to someone that is well connected to Berra, a move to Wolves is not the most appealing to him. Im pretty sure his agent would insist that he would hear what Wolves had to offer.

If Celtic came in for him, he would be off pretty sharpish. He is a huge Celtic fan.

How much would relegation cost the club? The situation with Rangers/Hutton was different, they still had quality players throughout their squad after the sale of Hutton and were in a far better position to cope with his departure.

If Hearts lost Driver, Berra and Jonsson this summer, we'd be left with a squad composed of overpaid foreign mercenaries (who in most cases can't even bother their erse to play over half the games in the season), Lithuanian journeyman and a few untried youngsters. Furthermore that squad would have barely adequate coaching to help them compete. Quite frankly 2nd bottom would become an achievment.

Guest JamboRobbo

What about considering the effect it has on HMFC on the football pitch. We are a football club after all.....

Toxteth O'Grady
A move along the M8 beckons for Berra.

Will we have to call him Bherra?

Charlie-Brown
How much would relegation cost the club? The situation with Rangers/Hutton was different, they still had quality players throughout their squad after the sale of Hutton and were in a far better position to cope with his departure.

If Hearts lost Driver, Berra and Jonsson this summer, we'd be left with a squad composed of overpaid foreign mercenaries (who in most cases can't even bother their erse to play over half the games in the season), Lithuanian journeyman and a few untried youngsters. Furthermore that squad would have barely adequate coaching to help them compete. Quite frankly 2nd bottom would become an achievment.

I think your getting a bit carried away Martin in all honesty.....we've had reports of 2 speculative bids from Championship clubs for Driver and Berra neither of which have been accepted but they are reasonably good young players so they are bound to attract some interest and it would be unrealistic to think that Hearts can keep them forever especially if other clubs made bids that were both attractive to the club and the players involved.

Carl Spackler

It could be argued that without a manager and a coherant plan for the way the team operates it makes little difference whether Berra is sold or not. You can put a value on every individual's head and decide if money offered for them is good or not.

A decent manager is needed to explain and argue the player's worth to the team to counter balance the chairmen's view of his worth on the market.

Personally I think Berra is worth alot to Hearts at the moment for a number of reasons, some intangible. Running and creating a succesful football team cannot be worked out on paper alone.

vegas-voss
?2m for Berra would be great business. He has not convinced me that he can be a great defender or a good organiser/leader. We are well covered with other young players coming through.

So if Berra is yet to convince you what evidence is there that one of the young players will be good enough.

Maybe there is something in the Scott Wilson thread posted yesterday,Berra's replacement perhaps ?

Drylaw Hearts
Will we have to call him Bherra?

Only if the 'h' stands for hun.

I hear Rangers want him and John Brown complied a dossier on Berra for Walter Smith prior to him getting the Clyde job.

Smith rates him highly.

vegas-voss

I hear Rangers want him and John Brown complied a dossier on Berra for Walter Smith prior to him getting the Clyde job.

Smith rates him highly.

Could be something in that with the reports in todays press that Weir is off to the CCC

Charlie-Brown

Smith rates him highly.

McPherson, McLaren, Ritchie, Webster, now Berra?

Do these **nts have no imagination?

I think we would accept 2 million

The reality is, we are a selling club.

Gordon,Velicka etc

This has been romanaov's plan all along.

McPherson, McLaren, Ritchie, Webster, now Berra?

Do these **nts have no imagination?

I doubt Berra will end up at Rangers, remember our days of selling to the old firm are over. :confused:

?2m for Berra is a good price however i don't think that is the issue. Who is going to replace him ? The younger lads are not ready IMO and Zal is pish. Has he gets more caps and exposure to the Scotland squand is value will only rise. To sell him now would be crazy.

Archived