Jump to content

The Shed


Graham Thomson

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Here is one to rile FA. September 8th 1973. I was a 10yr old on my own in the shed. Hearts support upto the corner where the latrines where. Hibs support from there to McLeod Street. Before the game YNT came through McLeod Street turnstyles and waliked through the YLT to get under the cameras in the shed. Got cheered by those already there. It kicked off in the shed at half time with us leading 1 nil curtesy of the Scheduler own goal. Police didn't stand back in those days. They gave as good as they got. Policeman told a 16/17 year old to get me out of it as it was no place for a wee laddie. He was more than welcome to come back and join in after. He put me Gorgie Road side of the Wheatfield entry/exit and then went back to the shed. I went back in after the 2nd half started.

 

Re the Rangers game in 70s. I was behind the goals at the school end when Rangers fans chased Hearts out the shed. I recall this Hearts supporter shouting why are you running from these Glasgow *****. Let's get into them and he led a counter charge. Rangers were not expecting it and shit themselves that the Hearts support

Stood up to them. FA it did happen.  No deaths but plenty blood spilled and A and E used alot of suture back then.

I was in that "charge" though not voluntarily. The jambos leading it were scarier than the twats we were facing. It would not have been prudent to refuse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Morgan

    32

  • TypoonJambo

    14

  • Dirkdiggler77

    13

  • farin

    12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clerry Jambo
15 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It was carnage at the 76 cup final. We were at the top of the terrace at the Celtic end and saw a hail of bottles flying down on Hearts supporters for the whole match. Glasgow polis did absolutely nothing.  There was serious trouble when we played Dundee Utd in the (74 ?) semi at Hampden.  I'm not glorifying what went on but to another poster on here, the fences at Tynecastle weren't put up for nothing. Every game with Hibs was a war zone - home and away. Some of the matches v Celtic were near riots (the mid week cup tie where golf balls became the weapon of choice).  

The 76 final was carnage, i was in the North Stand and seemed like trouble behind the goals just kept going on and on and on...

 

Arab semi, remember coming back to the car and windows had been smashed!!!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Francis Albert
8 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Here is one to rile FA. September 8th 1973. I was a 10yr old on my own in the shed. Hearts support upto the corner where the latrines where. Hibs support from there to McLeod Street. Before the game YNT came through McLeod Street turnstyles and waliked through the YLT to get under the cameras in the shed. Got cheered by those already there. It kicked off in the shed at half time with us leading 1 nil curtesy of the Scheduler own goal. Police didn't stand back in those days. They gave as good as they got. Policeman told a 16/17 year old to get me out of it as it was no place for a wee laddie. He was more than welcome to come back and join in after. He put me Gorgie Road side of the Wheatfield entry/exit and then went back to the shed. I went back in after the 2nd half started.

 

Re the Rangers game in 70s. I was behind the goals at the school end when Rangers fans chased Hearts out the shed. I recall this Hearts supporter shouting why are you running from these Glasgow *****. Let's get into them and he led a counter charge. Rangers were not expecting it and shit themselves that the Hearts support

Stood up to them. FA it did happen.  No deaths but plenty blood spilled and A and E used alot of suture back then.

I am not in the lest "riled". Your experience of the Shed was simply different from mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Francis Albert
6 hours ago, Blackford Hearts said:

 

We were in main terrace opposite stand. Missed 1st goal like many. There was trouble to our left behind the goals which must have been mainly Hearts fans

I was in that terracing. Difficult to tell the split between Rangers and Hearts fans because understandably we were relatively quiet. I'd say it was no more than 50/50.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Here is one to rile FA. September 8th 1973. I was a 10yr old on my own in the shed. Hearts support upto the corner where the latrines where. Hibs support from there to McLeod Street. Before the game YNT came through McLeod Street turnstyles and waliked through the YLT to get under the cameras in the shed. Got cheered by those already there. It kicked off in the shed at half time with us leading 1 nil curtesy of the Scheduler own goal. Police didn't stand back in those days. They gave as good as they got. Policeman told a 16/17 year old to get me out of it as it was no place for a wee laddie. He was more than welcome to come back and join in after. He put me Gorgie Road side of the Wheatfield entry/exit and then went back to the shed. I went back in after the 2nd half started.

 

Re the Rangers game in 70s. I was behind the goals at the school end when Rangers fans chased Hearts out the shed. I recall this Hearts supporter shouting why are you running from these Glasgow *****. Let's get into them and he led a counter charge. Rangers were not expecting it and shit themselves that the Hearts support

Stood up to them. FA it did happen.  No deaths but plenty blood spilled and A and E used alot of suture back then.

That Rangers game John?

 

Not ashamed to admit it was the first time that I literally ‘almost wet myself’. When the Hearts turned back on the Huns they ran like feck. Nobody in these days (barring maybe Celtic) ‘dared’ to run at Rangers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
John Findlay
12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That Rangers game John?

 

Not ashamed to admit it was the first time that I literally ‘almost wet myself’. When the Hearts turned back on the Huns they ran like feck. Nobody in these days (barring maybe Celtic) ‘dared’ to run at Rangers.

If memory serves me correctly around September 76/77. I think passions were still high after cup final.

Edited by John Findlay
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

If memory serves me correctly around September 76/77. I think passionsions were still high after cup final.

I think your memory is serving you extremely well John. 

 

That sounds exactly right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I am not in the lest "riled". Your experience of the Shed was simply different from mine.

I had more respect for you FA.  You're just winding people up. So you went into the Shed (on your own ?) and you're in denial about what people are posting ?  Good for you. Everyone else is wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearts v Motherwell, last game of the season 1981/82, the Hearts fans started throwing missiles onto the pitch to entice the police to go into The Shed (corner) in which they did, there was a good 10/15 mins of serious disorder in there, i was standing behind the goals at the front watching the mayhem. I always seem to remember Wallace Mercer going over to try and calm the fans down and someone threw an iron bar at him and a Punk from from where i grew up and stayed with his peroxide blonde hair bouncing around the place going crazy.

 

Could be wrong but i still dont reckon it was gang v gang or Hearts v Hearts that day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also remember The Shed singing to The Benches "Send your casuals over here" , the casuals then walked over and there was a small half hearted attempt to have a fight at the corner. 

 

However previously when the Hearts casuals stood at the Shed floodlight they were attacked and backed off, to be fair there was only around a dozen of them and the casual scene hadn't quite hit off in Edinburgh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dannymack said:

Hearts v Motherwell, last game of the season 1981/82, the Hearts fans started throwing missiles onto the pitch to entice the police to go into The Shed (corner) in which they did, there was a good 10/15 mins of serious disorder in there, i was standing behind the goals at the front watching the mayhem. I always seem to remember Wallace Mercer going over to try and calm the fans down and someone threw an iron bar at him and a Punk from from where i grew up and stayed with his peroxide blonde hair bouncing around the place going crazy.

 

Could be wrong but i still dont reckon it was gang v gang or Hearts v Hearts that day.

As far as I’m aware, it wasn’t gang v gang but Hearts v the police. I’m sure that’s the day the copper took a real bad one and ended up in hospital with quite serious injuries. Motherwell took a bit of a dull one after the game as well. 

As far as the casual scene goes, Hearts never got involved early in the scene and there was the odd scuffle as they did try to stand in the corner. Always got told to bolt and settled next to the segregation fence. Their numbers did grow over the years but I don’t think they ever got to more than a few hundred. Could be wrong though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...

Think you'll find that it was Hibs and Aberdeen who were the nasty casuals. Thankfully the vast majority of the Hearts support was always better behaved and left the hooliganism and bottle throwing to the trash that followed Hibs and the Old Firm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/12/2015 at 23:41, Graham Thomson said:

I was speaking to a colleague yesterday and we got talking about the old shed under the cameras in the 70s we were talking about the gang culture in Edinburgh at the time and how each gang had there space in the shed and on a few days when the football was not exactly entertaining it would kick off in the shed between Hearts fans from rival gangs!!

So who did rule the shed?

 

The MTC (Murrayfield Tufty Club).

Link to post
Share on other sites
peebles jambo
On 06/12/2015 at 10:43, EIEIO said:
On 06/12/2015 at 10:18, Graham Thomson said:

To be fair it was the exception rather than the rule (fighting each other) but they did have there places in the shed! YNT was just to the left of the refreshments! And did all pull together for old firm

I remember a big set to at a cup semi v Dundee United at Hampden in the early to mid 70s. Think it was Leith v Clerry but we are talking forty years ago.

I remember that as well, it was when the terrace was still black ash, the dust caused by that ruckus nearly choked anybody in the hun end, I went wi Penicuik branch, sure  we got beat that day,

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Seen a lot of things under the shed from the early 80's but never saw any 'fistycuffs'. At least I cant remember any.

Agree Pans, there would be the odd "square go" now and again but nothing to write home about. Considering the crushing and swaying at times, think it was quite well behaved

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Agree Pans, there would be the odd "square go" now and again but nothing to write home about. Considering the crushing and swaying at times, think it was quite well behaved

Seen the odd mutton pie “flee” through the air :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Blackpool tae Gorgie

Was only 18,but the cup replay v Celtic 1972 was the worst i have ever seen at Tynecastle.

The game got stopped it was utter chaos,Bit of revenge after the first game at parkhead.

Police lost control that night.

Edited by Blackpool tae Gorgie
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peebles jambo said:

I remember that as well, it was when the terrace was still black ash, the dust caused by that ruckus nearly choked anybody in the hun end, I went wi Penicuik branch, sure  we got beat that day,

Drew 1-1.Drew Busby had a perfectly good header chalked off to make it 2-1 us. The officials said the ball had gone over the byline before Bobby Prentice crossed it. Bobby to this day swears otherwise and is convinced Jock Stein didn't want us in the final(1974). We lost the replay 4-2. A certain Andy Gray scoring twice for United. United lost the final 3-0.

Link to post
Share on other sites
bringbakterracing
On 03/01/2018 at 12:27, trago13 said:

As far as I’m aware, it wasn’t gang v gang but Hearts v the police. I’m sure that’s the day the copper took a real bad one and ended up in hospital with quite serious injuries. Motherwell took a bit of a dull one after the game as well. 

As far as the casual scene goes, Hearts never got involved early in the scene and there was the odd scuffle as they did try to stand in the corner. Always got told to bolt and settled next to the segregation fence. Their numbers did grow over the years but I don’t think they ever got to more than a few hundred. Could be wrong though. 

Was involved with our casual firm for years.Loved it. Still meet the lads at the games socially. Hibs had a horrible mob but a lot of their lads were hearts fans who,d jumped ship, or bottlers in our eyes! Remember taking over 300 to glasgow on several occasions and decent numbers to everywhere else regularly. 

Before anyone gives me grief i can say a lot of us went to every game home and away, european games, friendlies as well. Spent fortunes and first and foremost wanted to see hearts win. Some of the best days of my life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Prof said:

Think you'll find that it was Hibs and Aberdeen who were the nasty casuals. Thankfully the vast majority of the Hearts support was always better behaved and left the hooliganism and bottle throwing to the trash that followed Hibs and the Old Firm. 

 

When the casual scene started in Edinburgh both Hearts and Hibs socialised with each other, our cup game v Aberdeen in 1985 saw a sprinkling of Hibs with the Hearts firm, it wasn't long before the rivalry hit it's heights with regular fights at Haymarket, West End, Lothian Rd, Tollcross etc between the two mobs . The one unacceptable thing that was rife with the Hibs mob back then was the fact it was full of Hearts fans and even ex Hearts casuals, cardinal sin that one, an act i still can't get my head around to this day. The Aberdeen Casuals always rated the Hearts Scarfers and in particular the Cup Replay in 85 and the night not long after it when they won the league at Tynecastle saw large scale fighting. 

 

Out of all the casual firms in Scotland ive always thought Rangers and Celtic were the nastiest, that trate comes from their Glaswegian nature. 

Hibs weren't nasty they were simply liberty taking scoundrals boosted with numbers.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, farin said:

There’s been a few books on the subject, found the Hearts one an interesting read. 

 

0702020D-39D0-41A9-B3E9-7B117A7AF8DB.thumb.jpeg.36484e0cb5c774049628a6f37846ce7e.jpeg

 

 

53CD0423-D871-4858-B603-B4914C2E4255.thumb.jpeg.fee572370f41004e41fc291ee84db3c1.jpeg

Got that one too!

 

Stratties on the front cover :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Blackpool tae Gorgie

There was certainly some gang v gang bother at early 70s Hearts games.Someone would shout give me D give me a R give me a Y DRYLAW.

Next the you would hear BAR OX ya bass  or some other team and before you knew it BANG.Never happened al the time but it happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Blackpool tae Gorgie
23 hours ago, peebles jambo said:

I remember that as well, it was when the terrace was still black ash, the dust caused by that ruckus nearly choked anybody in the hun end, I went wi Penicuik branch, sure  we got beat that day,

Got beat in the replay,first game ende 1-1.Knew a few penicuik guys back then Andy Bell,Ian Hunter,Billy Oliver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Furious Styles
57 minutes ago, Blackpool tae Gorgie said:

Got beat in the replay,first game ende 1-1.Knew a few penicuik guys back then Andy Bell,Ian Hunter,Billy Oliver.

 

I hope you gave him a little respect. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Punks No Deid
1 hour ago, Blackpool tae Gorgie said:

Got beat in the replay,first game ende 1-1.Knew a few penicuik guys back then Andy Bell,Ian Hunter,Billy Oliver.

Was Andy Bell fae Penicuik the big guy who ended up as a bouncer in The Mill (I think it was The Mill) nickname Belly?

If it was he mibbe looked the part but he was actually a nice big fellae

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Got that one too!

 

Stratties on the front cover :) 

 

I have a copy of the original pic that the cover is taken from. ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, farin said:

 

I have a copy of the original pic that the cover is taken from. ? 

Not surprised in the slightest :lol: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Blackpool tae Gorgie
16 hours ago, Punks No Deid said:

Was Andy Bell fae Penicuik the big guy who ended up as a bouncer in The Mill (I think it was The Mill) nickname Belly?

If it was he mibbe looked the part but he was actually a nice big fellae

 

Aye thats the one he was a bouncer  and your right he was a nice guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Blackpool tae Gorgie said:

Aye thats the one he was a bouncer  and your right he was a nice guy.

Big Andy still is a nice guy!

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, pennyjambo22 said:

Big Andy still is a nice guy!

I'll tell him. I still go every week and Andy's started coming back regularly. Billy Oliver is in Selkirk these days but I see him now and again as his old mum still lives in Penicuik.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Morgan said:

Got that one too!

 

Stratties on the front cover :) 

 

19 hours ago, farin said:

There’s been a few books on the subject, found the Hearts one an interesting read. 

 

0702020D-39D0-41A9-B3E9-7B117A7AF8DB.thumb.jpeg.36484e0cb5c774049628a6f37846ce7e.jpeg

 

 

53CD0423-D871-4858-B603-B4914C2E4255.thumb.jpeg.fee572370f41004e41fc291ee84db3c1.jpeg

Jeezo Just went on amazon to see if they had it, £356 another seller doing it for £1000 ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamtartan74 said:

 

Jeezo Just went on amazon to see if they had it, £356 another seller doing it for £1000 ? 

 

Might flog it myself if I can get that type of cash for it . ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

 

Jeezo Just went on amazon to see if they had it, £356 another seller doing it for £1000 ? 

:cornette_dog:Bloody hell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, farin said:

 

Might flog it myself if I can get that type of cash for it . ?

I would as well, that’s crazy cash, eBay has one for £100 odd

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

 

Jeezo Just went on amazon to see if they had it, £356 another seller doing it for £1000 ? 

:vrwow: That’s ridiculous for a book that cost only £8.99.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, farin said:

 

Might flog it myself if I can get that type of cash for it . ?

Why not?  Y’know, once you’ve read it once that’s about all you can do with it.

 

I’ve got loads of other Hearts books that I may price but don’t really want to break up my collection.

 

Do you have ‘A tale of two cities’?  ‘Hearts in Art’ ? ‘Ten of Hearts’? ‘A pictorial history 1874 - 1984’?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

I would as well, that’s crazy cash, eBay has one for £100 odd

 

Thats mental, it’s hardly War & Peace. ?

 

 

18 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Why not?  Y’know, once you’ve read it once that’s about all you can do with it.

 

I’ve got loads of other Hearts books that I may price but don’t really want to break up my collection.

 

Do you have ‘A tale of two cities’?  ‘Hearts in Art’ ? ‘Ten of Hearts’? ‘A pictorial history 1874 - 1984’?

 

 

 

I’ve got a couple. ?

 

 

F70B15F5-AAB8-4F86-AA16-7F533C5A7217.thumb.jpeg.71f067db477e3fa3987cce45bec60260.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, farin said:

 

Thats mental, it’s hardly War & Peace. ?

 

 

 

I’ve got a couple. ?

 

 

F70B15F5-AAB8-4F86-AA16-7F533C5A7217.thumb.jpeg.71f067db477e3fa3987cce45bec60260.jpeg

That all?  :whistling:

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, farin said:

 

Thats mental, it’s hardly War & Peace. ?

 

 

 

I’ve got a couple. ?

 

 

F70B15F5-AAB8-4F86-AA16-7F533C5A7217.thumb.jpeg.71f067db477e3fa3987cce45bec60260.jpeg

Here’s most of my humble collection.

4B7B72AA-71C2-48D5-9C46-A7264C06C9FE.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, farin said:

 

Thats mental, it’s hardly War & Peace. ?

 

 

 

I’ve got a couple. ?

 

 

F70B15F5-AAB8-4F86-AA16-7F533C5A7217.thumb.jpeg.71f067db477e3fa3987cce45bec60260.jpeg

Cracking collection :robbo:

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Here’s most of my humble collection.

4B7B72AA-71C2-48D5-9C46-A7264C06C9FE.jpeg

 

Some good ones in there Morgan. ??

I’d recommend these if you get the chance m8.

 

 

68F73872-5917-497F-9E11-5EE5915412D1.thumb.jpeg.f11f8c574d6f5ac90fbdddc3e88a16ad.jpeg

 

 

A56BD6C6-36E8-428D-80C7-3017D3C76D46.thumb.jpeg.bf7f9bc383af7178837fae3314fe0206.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...