Jeffries How Depressing

innerjambo

NMH, I like that - that's exactly what we need - more Hearts Patriots at our club.

frankblack

I agree with most on this thread.

We aren't looking at JJ as the next Burley, but someone who can bring discipline and hard-work to the club - something sorely lacking in the past couple of seasons.

We need someone to come in and control the dressing room, and kick out those that won't integrate.

While Levein was always my stated first choice, I think Jefferies would be a better option than Mark McGhee, who I feared would leave at the first opportunity down south - his family still haven't moved to Scotland, remember.

Billy Davies is not someone that excites me either - remember him as Motherwell boss?, and the way he went out at Derby with a whimper left me have doubts about him. His rumoured insistence of a release clause to Rangers in his contract is not something I would be happy with either.

Getting back to the point, I think Jefferies could get the best out of the players we have and help bring in the players we need to consolidate and push for 3rd next season.

I think JJ has got better as a manager since he left us - he certainly outwitted the half-wits in our dugouts over the past couple of seasons. I was in early at the last home game against Killie and they seemed so much better prepared for the game - from the warm up onwards.

Jeffries record at Killie is not bad considering the size of that club & struggling finances.

2002 7th

2003 4th

2004 10th

2005 7th

2006 5th

2007 5th

2008 11th

That is a magnificent record given what has been going on at Killie in that time.

We need a boot room of people who know what Hearts are about - and to demand more from the players. Many players in last season's squad- mostly from the luxury bracket but also from Kaunas - couldn't give a monkey's and played like it too. That would not be tolerated under Jefferies with a proper boot room.

My choice to get Hearts back into top 3-4 and tilting at the Cups is Jefferies/Pressley/Fulton and Locke.

Denny Crane
C'mon.......FFS.........10 years ago he was lucky enough to get a squad together who for a very short time, made him look a far better manager than he looked in any other season he was with Hearts or any other club. He was a disaster after that and average at best before that. He's done nothing spectacular with Kilmarnock despite romantic notions to the contrary and I dont remember him setting the world alight with Falkirk.

He's yesterdays man, in fact he's the man from several yesterdays ago. We've been there, done it and had the best season of him that anyone will ever get.

Appointing Jefferies at this stage of his career and in the state we are in would be an unmitigated disaster and a huge disappointment compared to ALL the other names in the frame.

The 98 squad was one he built - three years previously McLean had left a right shambles. Not only did he get us back up the table but turned us into a team capable of competing for trophies. As for his Falkirk days. The season before we nabbed him, he took them to the brink of European qualification which would explain why Hearts felt it necessary to secure his services in the first place.

Charlie-Brown

Would we also get Alan Combe, Grant Murray & Allan Johnston to add some experience? I say this as several players have followed JJ around clubs.

frankblack
Would we also get Alan Combe, Grant Murray & Allan Johnston to add some experience? I say this as several players have followed JJ around clubs.

Jefferies brought them in because he had no money and needed players that wouldn't have been a risk to him. When you pick up players at the low end of the market most turn out to be crap, so it helps if you have some inside knowledge on some.

I can't see any of those players following him to Tynie - Alan "Hibby" Combe and Alan "Judas" Johnston would not be welcome for starters, and we have better players in Grant Murray's position (although not much better, granted).

jamboinglasgow

Its funny, looking at the past of JJ, you forget that he has some pedigree, 3 cup finals in 3 seasons and 1 trophy for hearts. Took on a premiership side (my memory was hazy didn't realise they were as high as that.) Won a few games with that side however could not keep them up. And did well at Bradford considering the crippling debts there and resigned when he thought he could not bring them back into the premiership. THat is some high standards when he was there.

At Kilmarnock he is at a club with very little money, where JJ has to rebuild a team every season and bring youngsters through who can do this. To be in the top 7 with Kilmarnock 5 out of 7 seasons is a great achievemnet for him. Think the problem is that he is at Killie and it makes people immediatly dismiss him out of hand.

As everyone knows I am obsessed with HEarts youth development (just notice my signature) so obviously I want a manager who can bring decent young players through and this is something that JJ has done. Think he would inspire and help youngsters preform into their full potential.

I said it earlier and I will say it again, I am not suggesting JJ will lead us into an amazing league run where we will challenge the OF like 98 but I think he will steady the ship build up the team. But just as important will be for him to mentor new coaches with theaim to have one to take over from him after a season or two. That would be my ideal situation. So JJ moves up to become DoF. We have many Hearts minded coaches such as Locke and possibly even pressely. could even have Robbo as a coach. And from that group we could develop a new manager from it.

Must be honest and say when Jefferries name was first mentioned, i was 'lukewarm to the idea of his return. But i'm now 'warming' to the idea more and more. Jim would bring a steadyind hand to the club, and as others have already stated, wouldn't put up with some of the disgraceful performances and attitudes of some of our players.

crazy_jambo_2006

I would like JJ to get the job. The appointment of JJ would not be "depressing". JJ is a legend. He knows Hearts. He knows Scottish football. He's a Hearts man. I do not want some nobody/yes man muppet to get the job. I'd be delighted with JJ. I'd be happy with Levein (but I doubt CL would leave when Eddie Thompson is dying).

innerjambo
Hmmm... do I detect a :hobofish:

And it is Jefferies

Well you detect wrong then. I'm not a great fan of Jeffries because I think he's had his day and might be a bit out of touch to take the team forward, and that's what I would like. Jeffries did very well first time around, but that was 10 years ago. Yes he will steady the ship! No he wont have us challenging for a top 3 spot. To all those on this thread who think I'm out of order, then I apologise, but I am entitled to my opinion. I am just being honest, and that is to say that if Jeffries is appointed the new Hearts manager, then I will be disappointed. I do not believe he has what it takes, to take us to the next level. What he will do is steady the ship and give us the odd good year!!!! That, for me, is disappointing!!!

Hawick Jambo

Innerjambo

I respect your opinion but I think you are completely wrong. We need a manager who can develop youngsters and bring on a team, as well as get rid of the deadwood. In fact, this situation is v similar to the first time JJ took over.

As I say, you are entitled to your opinion, although as I say I think you are wrong.

Were you are v wrong and likely to continue to be accused of being a hobo is in not giving Jim Jefferies the respect he deserves by spelling his name right ! Its a small point but a very meaningful one

Gigolo-Aunt

JJ it is for me. Would steady the ship and get us back on track.

Much prefer him than a Harlem Globetrotter type of appointment ala Vialli.

No need to apologise mate, you're just as entitled to your opinions as anybody else on this forum.:) Jefferies isn't my 1st choice, but i'm a great admirer of the man, and think we would be in safe hands for a seaon or two with him at the helm. Let's be honest, if any club/fans deserve a period of '

stability and normality,' it's us!:wacko:

'Jam Tarts', you gotta luv em!:fing10:

innerjambo
Innerjambo

I respect your opinion but I think you are completely wrong. We need a manager who can develop youngsters and bring on a team, as well as get rid of the deadwood. In fact, this situation is v similar to the first time JJ took over.

As I say, you are entitled to your opinion, although as I say I think you are wrong.

Were you are v wrong and likely to continue to be accused of being a hobo is in not giving Jim Jefferies the respect he deserves by spelling his name right ! Its a small point but a very meaningful one

Surely you mean where I am v wrong, and not were I am v wrong. It's a small point, but an important one I feel. :)

Denny Crane
Well you detect wrong then. I'm not a great fan of Jeffries because I think he's had his day and might be a bit out of touch to take the team forward, and that's what I would like. Jeffries did very well first time around, but that was 10 years ago. Yes he will steady the ship! No he wont have us challenging for a top 3 spot. To all those on this thread who think I'm out of order, then I apologise, but I am entitled to my opinion. I am just being honest, and that is to say that if Jeffries is appointed the new Hearts manager, then I will be disappointed. I do not believe he has what it takes, to take us to the next level. What he will do is steady the ship and give us the odd good year!!!! That, for me, is disappointing!!!

May be you should have applied your last sentence above to your first post and expanded on the "never go back" argument which might have some merit. Your initial post did come off as disrespectful to a man who both played for and managed the club with distinction.

Speaking of which - the correct spelling of Jim's surname can be had below:-

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Managers/0,,10289,00.html

Fair enough, but this post differs greatly from your opening post

walton1983
Jeffries - Robbo - Locke

Jeffries Maybe and certainly no disaster

Robbo No

Locke. Don't even think he has`started coaching.

Jeffries Maybe and certainly no disaster

Robbo No

Locke. Don't even think he has`started coaching.

I think Gary Locke is going through his badges just now. He took a training session for the charity match squad and he was very good.

Always talking and encouraging and kept great continuity during the session.

I know at pro level it`s a bit different but i think Gary is a very confident individual and i would n`t be surprised to see him involved at top level coaching in the near future.

Charlie-Brown

Locke was taking Killie reserves towards the end of last season with help & mentoring from Billy Brown.

Hawick Jambo

Innerjambo

Okay perhaps I don't know the difference between where and were.

I do however know the spelling of a Hearts legend and will always give him the respect he deserves for our cup win etc:mad:

Pity the biggest Jefferies thread has this title. Seems the majority can see the positives behind him returning.

aye bring back one of only 2 scottish cup winning managers in the last 50 years(approx)how very depressing.

What would be the reaction to Rix or Ivanauskas were brought back?

What would be the reaction to Rix or Ivanauskas were brought back?

did rix win the scottish cup?

Mister Dee

Romanov's first job should be to try & claw back some credibility for himself.

Signing JJ would be a masterstroke, & he's been my choice for a while.

If VR signs another unknown or untried manager things will really go down the crapper.

For the record, I haven't renewed. It will take a hell of a lot of work by Romanov to get me back on board.

Only a Game

Whats all this steadying the ship nonsense ?

Does it take two feckin years to "steady our ship" Do we have have to watch two seasons of ship steadying ?

No we dont. Steadying our ship takes one 30 second phone call from Vlad to Campbell Ogilvie giving him the full authority to run this football club like a football club.

A Jefferies appointment is a complete and utter waste of time, and an unneccessary step.

We would be feckin laughing at the thought of Jefferies getting anywhere near Hearts again if we were properly run.

One phone call.........Just one phone call.

shaun.lawson
Whats all this steadying the ship nonsense ?

Does it take two feckin years to "steady our ship" Do we have have to watch two seasons of ship steadying ?

No we dont. Steadying our ship takes one 30 second phone call from Vlad to Campbell Ogilvie giving him the full authority to run this football club like a football club.

A Jefferies appointment is a complete and utter waste of time, and an unneccessary step.

We would be feckin laughing at the thought of Jefferies getting anywhere near Hearts again if we were properly run.

One phone call.........Just one phone call.

Wrong, and surprisingly naive too. A lot of things at this club have been a mess these past two years: fitness, morale and team spirit prominent amongst them, and it scares me that many fans seem to think just the appointment of a proper manager is all that's needed. It simply isn't - and it will take time to get things ship shape again.

Only a Game
Wrong, and surprisingly naive too. A lot of things at this club have been a mess these past two years: fitness, morale and team spirit prominent amongst them, and it scares me that many fans seem to think just the appointment of a proper manager is all that's needed. It simply isn't - and it will take time to get things ship shape again.

No I wasnt wrong or naive. I didnt say that merely the appointment of a proper manager would sort the mess. It certainly wont.

What I said is that Romanov should hand over control of football operations to a football person.

That would fix EVERY major and immediate problem we have. In one DAY !! And none of the major and immediate problems CAN be fixed unless he relinquishes control of things he shouldnt have control of.

shaun.lawson
No I wasnt wrong or naive. I didnt say that merely the appointment of a proper manager would sort the mess. It certainly wont.

What I said is that Romanov should hand over control of football operations to a football person.

That would fix EVERY major and immediate problem we have. In one DAY !! And none of the major and immediate problems CAN be fixed unless he relinquishes control of things he shouldnt have control of.

Yes, I certainly agree with that final para - but to me, finally appointing a proper manager will merely give us a chance to get things back on the rails at last, and it won't be a case of 'click your fingers, and we're racing away with 3rd again'. But to be fair, you're saying that too (I think); so we merely differ on who should be appointed.

portobellojambo1
Yes, I certainly agree with that final para - but to me, finally appointing a proper manager will merely give us a chance to get things back on the rails at last, and it won't be a case of 'click your fingers, and we're racing away with 3rd again'. But to be fair, you're saying that too (I think); so we merely differ on who should be appointed.

I would like to think we are all wise enough to realise that shaun, i.e. appointment of a manager will not instantly cure everything, but will at least provide the platform to start getting back into the mix at the correct end of the league.

I haven't read through the thread to gain others opinion, but I believe that Jefferies is now the front runner, with McGhee and Levein both not interested.

While JJ probably wouldn't be my first choice, I can see some merit if there is a longer term plan.

In reality tho' even if there isn't, if not JJ, then who? We made a play for MM - too sellic minded for me, CL doesn't want it so who?

It's a mute point now but when Neil Warnock was available, we should have got him. Done a great job with Palace this season given where he started from but as I say, mute point now.

If JJ gets the gig, I'll judge him on what he achieves, not what I think he might. Only thing I would hope is that he finely leaves the hobo at Kilmarnock. Would not be adverse to Gary Locke making a return either.

A combination of these 2 would restore some of what Hearts is all about to the place which can only be a good thing. I seem to remember that Alex McDonald used to make sure lots of Hearts men played in big games when we really needed everyone giving everything.

shaun.lawson
I would like to think we are all wise enough to realise that shaun, i.e. appointment of a manager will not instantly cure everything, but will at least provide the platform to start getting back into the mix at the correct end of the league.

I haven't read through the thread to gain others opinion, but I believe that Jefferies is now the front runner, with McGhee and Levein both not interested.

There's an element of semantics in all this really. It's just that, well, if and when a manager is appointed, I can easily envisage many saying "we have a manager, and far and away the third biggest budget - ergo, 3rd place is a minimum requirement". It almost certainly won't be that simple: as JJ himself found out following the SMG injection, at a time when third was the minimum expected, but the maximum we were realistically capable of.

I agree that JJ is the front runner now, so two quick questions. First, is what you've written based on a sense of how things are going, or have you heard anything specific? And second: even though I favour Jefferies, I can't quite understand why Billy Davies has apparently been ruled out by the club. Any ideas why? Maybe it's down to Vlad's hatred of the OF, and the fear that Davies would view us as a stepping stone to Ibrox; but it is puzzling, I must say.

scott herbertson
There's an element of semantics in all this really. It's just that, well, if and when a manager is appointed, I can easily envisage many saying "we have a manager, and far and away the third biggest budget - ergo, 3rd place is a minimum requirement". It almost certainly won't be that simple: as JJ himself found out following the SMG injection, at a time when third was the minimum expected, but the maximum we were realistically capable of.

I agree that JJ is the front runner now, so two quick questions. First, is what you've written based on a sense of how things are going, or have you heard anything specific? And second: even though I favour Jefferies, I can't quite understand why Billy Davies has apparently been ruled out by the club. Any ideas why? Maybe it's down to Vlad's hatred of the OF, and the fear that Davies would view us as a stepping stone to Ibrox; but it is puzzling, I must say.

On your second question, assuming Campbell Ogilvie has been heavily involved in the selection process, he may have previous.....

Drylaw Hearts

My guess is that Bliiy Davies's attitude towards the Scotland job left a nasty taste in the mouth of Campbell Ogilvie.

I think CO realises that the BD and VR relationship would not last 2 minutes.

shaun.lawson
My guess is that Bliiy Davies's attitude towards the Scotland job left a nasty taste in the mouth of Campbell Ogilvie.

I think CO realises that the BD and VR relationship would not last 2 minutes.

Oh, of course! Mind you though, CO's brief is to do the best for Hearts, and what happened with Scotland shouldn't come into it. Though having said that, if he and/or VR aren't able to have a decent working relationship with Davies, it's a non-starter.

This'd explain BD's comments in the press too. Far easier to isuue a 'come and get me!' plea when you already know you have no chance of getting the gig.

Shaun,

I am not sure he is - not heard anything concrete but just wee snippets.

Personally I think he will be 'if all else fails'. I would be quite happy to see JJ up at Ricacarton having ago at some the players - even if it's only for a year or so.

I've thought a return for JJ would be a good idea for some time now. (Since we seemed to dispense with having a manager altogether).

He's unlikely to win the league, but as others have said, a man who bleeds maroon and knows what it means to play for Hearts may well be the best man for the job right now. If the job really is viewed as tainted due to the VR problem, then appointing a man who really wants the job may solve that over time (providing Vlad really does keep his nose out).

I'm absolutely certain of one thing, though - if Hearts could pick any manager in the world, they could not find a man prepared to work harder to make Hearts successful than Jim Jefferies.

Apparently, there are reasons that no-one will touch Billy Davies..... That's the rumour circulating within football.

Oh, of course! Mind you though, CO's brief is to do the best for Hearts, and what happened with Scotland shouldn't come into it. Though having said that, if he and/or VR aren't able to have a decent working relationship with Davies, it's a non-starter.

This'd explain BD's comments in the press too. Far easier to isuue a 'come and get me!' plea when you already know you have no chance of getting the gig.

shaun.lawson
Shaun,

I am not sure he is - not heard anything concrete but just wee snippets.

Personally I think he will be 'if all else fails'. I would be quite happy to see JJ up at Ricacarton having ago at some the players - even if it's only for a year or so.

If so, then the club need to be very careful. If he's the only one remaining on the assumed shortlist, he needs to be approached now: every man has his pride to consider, and it's a gross insult to someone who ended 36 years of hurt, has an emotional connection to this club greater than any other manager I can recall, and retains a very good reputation within Scottish football after a long, generally successful career to just take him for granted and assume he'll come if no-one else does.

One thing JJ is not is stupid - and we have to come up with truly positive reasons in order to persuade him here; otherwise, he'll probably think it just isn't worth the bother.

Apparently, there are reasons that no-one will touch Billy Davies..... That's the rumour circulating within football.

Well...... in recent years we have had a drunk, a paedophile, a madman and currently a puppet amongst others.

What does Davis have except a massive ego?

Guest casper

Sounds perfect for Hearts then. Romanov will probably think he's a hero.

Well...... in recent years we have had a drunk, a paedophile, a madman and currently a puppet amongst others.

What does Davis have except a massive ego?

Really?

I think the time has come, to realise that we will have to settle for bottom six at best. With Jeffries in the frame, it says alot about the clubs ambition, ie non existent. It just goes to show how desperate we have become. Desperate clubs always go backwards! If Mr average Jeffries is appointed, then our season will be so boring. Does the club refund unwanted season tickets???

As I said - P i s h

innerjambo
As I said - P i s h

Just like Jefferies stint down south, he was found out there to be Pish!

Decent manager 10 years ago, but now, have a word!!

Just like Jefferies stint down south, he was found out there to be Pish!

Decent manager 10 years ago, but now, have a word!!

Levein had a P Ish spell down south as well

Mark McGhee has had a few also.

I do not think JJ is the man, however, but I would accept him, it would be better than Davies, and would not be depressing.

I rather like Aidy Boothroyd if we have to go British/Scottish.

shaun.lawson
Mark McGhee has had a few also.

I do not think JJ is the man, however, but I would accept him, it would be better than Davies, and would not be depressing.

I rather like Aidy Boothroyd if we have to go British/Scottish.

I'm a bit puzzled by people bigging up Boothroyd to be honest. Granted, he had a brilliant impact at Watford in his first year or so - but they collapsed from a fantastic position this past season, and I actually expect them to be relegation candidates next. It's not at all clear whether Boothroyd has a Plan B - and his style of play is frightening. Frightening. If Hearts fans were ****ed off with Joe Jordan - a man who led us to 2nd in the league, no less - imagine what we'd do to Boothroyd!

Archived