Jeffries How Depressing

innerjambo

innerjambo

I think the time has come, to realise that we will have to settle for bottom six at best. With Jeffries in the frame, it says alot about the clubs ambition, ie non existent. It just goes to show how desperate we have become. Desperate clubs always go backwards! If Mr average Jeffries is appointed, then our season will be so boring. Does the club refund unwanted season tickets???

Charlie-Brown

Are Rangers unambitious under Walter Smith or are Newcastle unambitious under Kevin Keegan.....sometimes clubs need people who KNOW the club and know the fans.

I think the time has come, to realise that we will have to settle for bottom six at best. With Jeffries in the frame, it says alot about the clubs ambition, ie non existent. It just goes to show how desperate we have become. Desperate clubs always go backwards! If Mr average Jeffries is appointed, then our season will be so boring. Does the club refund unwanted season tickets???

aye bring back one of only 2 scottish cup winning managers in the last 50 years(approx)how very depressing.

He's in the frame is he? He maybe is, but never listen to paper talk. Not one person on KB knows who's on the shortlist or who's been approached.

Ibrahim Tall

1 Cup win and a runner up in 2 more against a far far stronger Rangers side than at the moment, "Mr average" right enough. :rolleyes:

innerjambo
aye bring back one of only 2 scottish cup winning managers in the last 50 years(approx)how very depressing.

It is depressing, because he's a crap manager, his assistant is a to**er, and we will get absolutely nowhere!

The Future's Maroon
Are Rangers unambitious under Walter Smith or are Newcastle unambitious under Kevin Keegan.....sometimes clubs need people who KNOW the club and know the fans.
Agree 100%

Ibrahim Tall
It is depressing, because he's a crap manager, his assistant is a to**er, and we will get absolutely nowhere!

How exactly do you come to the conclusion that hes a crap manager?

As already previously stated, one of only 2 trophy winning managers in nearly 50 years.

2 3rd place finishes and a season where we actually challenged for the title until the last few games.

Taken a terrible Kilmarnock side to a cup final despite selling his best players every year and investing little.

Thats it in a nutshell. At this moment in time IMO the club needs a JJ type figure to steady the ship. Only then after a year or 2 of stability can the club move onto the next level.

Charlie-Brown

Jeffries record at Killie is not bad considering the size of that club & struggling finances.

2002 7th

2003 4th

2004 10th

2005 7th

2006 5th

2007 5th

2008 11th

Rabbie_Burns

Dont think it would be a bad idea having old JJ back for a spell actually...

Anyway things could be a lot worse than that, imagine having somebody like 'Mixu the fat Finn' in charge... :eek:

give yourself a rest

jj has probably forgotton more about scottish football and h.m.f.c than you'll ever know about either...and whats to say bb would be coming with him anyhow.

who would you bring in?

scottishguy
give yourself a rest

jj has probably forgotton more about scottish football and h.m.f.c than you'll ever know about either...and whats to say bb would be coming with him anyhow.

who would you bring in?

If JJ did come back,would love to have Elvis working with him.

Drylaw Hearts

Agreed.

Best day ever

_1032575_jefferies150.jpg

Definately.

We need some more HEARTS Patriots at the club.

Agreed

I agree.

You may settle in negativity and suffer in your own depression. I hope the club do give you a refund, but when we are on the verge of winningthe league title will you be looking for it back?

ford donald

YOU DESERVE A MANGER LIKE TONY FORD OR TOMMY MCLEAN.JEFFRIES HAS FORGOTTEN MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW ABOUT HEARTS FC AND FOOTBALL IN GENERAL.GET A GRIP!

Do The Dance

I'm warming to the Jeffries idea, I must say. Always enjoyed the style of football we played under him as well. Always good to see a Manager out barking orders til his face goes purple as well.

vegas-voss

Just a newbie to Hearts are we.Can't believe the amount of people who are so dismissive of what JJ done at Hearts.What other manager managed to take Hearts to 3 cup finals and be a close to we have been since 86 to winning the league.No one in my lifetime thats for sure.

jamboinglasgow

At first I was a bit down to the idea of JJ coming back until I truly remembered his time at Hearts, played a great football side that did well most times, had a small budget, got us our first trophey in 36 years, pushed the old firm all season, yes his next season wasn't great but I felt that season was a hangover from the previous (plus losing McCann half way through the season didn't help.)

He is a no nonsense manager, a guy who is not afraid to tell a player how he feels. He is good with a youth system and can bring young players in (look at how many youngsters got their chance with JJ) Kilmarnock had mixed fortunes (this season they lost their best player in August and their top scorer in January so should not be ashamed.)

I think BB should not be assistant and would love Pressely to be the assistant with Locke brought in as coach/reserve team assistant so he can help the young guys get ready and pass on the passion for Hearts.

We cant get McGhee or Levein, lets try JJ.

I still remember the football Jeffries had us playing in his first spell. He had a good record with Falkirk before that, he had Kilmarnock playing well on limited resources after that. In general I always feel he knows what he is doing. How often in the last couple of years have we felt that about whoever was running our ship????

JJ would come down hard on players who don't pull their weight and will not take any of their crap.

i'm not in favour of going backwards and i'd hate to see our memories of him tainted if it doesn't work out, but i'd take him at hearts now for sure

Och I've got my concerns about Jim too, but does anybody think that this fabulous new manager, whoever he may be, is ever likely to 'bed down' at Tynie and build a new dynasty for the next 5-8 years ?..............naw

JJ needs to come home now and sort out this travesty of a side we've become, then we'll deal with the longer term outlook another day ;)

I think the time is perhaps right for both of us and I could actually see him getting a 'second wind' if he walks back through that maroon door :)

I know he's been labelled as a dud, a has-been, spent or whatever but would working at Rugby park inspire you ?...........right in the shadow of the Ugly sisters, with their shepherds crook at the ready to hook the next promising youngster and with barely a big enough support to form a Gospel choir

Come on down :dribble:

jamboinglasgow

would it almost be worthwhile to use JJ as the pilot who steadies the ship, get things back on the football side to being a proper club and when that is sorted and we become an attractive club again (if vlad keeps his nose out) then give him the role of director of football overseeing the club with a decent manager.

Miller Jambo 60
would it almost be worthwhile to use JJ as the pilot who steadies the ship, get things back on the football side to being a proper club and when that is sorted and we become an attractive club again (if vlad keeps his nose out) then give him the role of director of football overseeing the club with a decent manager.

ring big jim and lets get back to winning

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

That is exactly how I see it. Succession planning as it is called in business.

It is so logical and makes perfect sense.

Oh Christ, I forgot about Vlad....:eek:

Drylaw Hearts

This is something I've been saying for a long long time.

We actually should have brought him as DOF a year ago and asked him to get CL last summer.

Korobochka and Koslovski offer Hearts the square route of nowt.

Charlie-Brown

JJ is a fair bit younger than Sir Alex Ferguson so if he came back to Hearts and was successful then there is no reason why he couldn't continue for a fair while yet.....that would give time for some younger Hearts-minded coaches or who might become coaches ie Frail, Pressley, McGlynn, N.McCann, K.Black, Locke etc time to develop into potential future Hearts managers.

Drew Busby !

Don't know if it's on the cards to be honest , But I do think he's got one more good gig left in him if he was to come back. He would at least restore pride in the jersey and tell a few home truths to those players who need telling.

More good than bad were he to return.

Don't know if it's on the cards to be honest , But I do think he's got one more good gig left in him if he was to come back. He would at least restore pride in the jersey and tell a few home truths to those players who need telling.

More good than bad were he to return.

Not particularly keen to see him back at Tynie , but if he was appointed hopefully Pinilla & Kingston would be the first players to be told a few home truths......... especially for taking a wage whilst contributing nothing to the team during the season just finished, both players are luxuries that Hearts can`t afford.

Whilst I would rather Davies or Levein, if Jefferies is to be our new manager then I'm all for it. He's a Jambo for Life and would put his Heart and soul into the club in what could well be his last appointment of his career.

Jefferies has done a superb job at Kilmarnock under constant financial restraints and deserves a chance to resurrect this sleeping giant of a football club. The guy ran the Old Firm to the wire in 98 so how is he a poor manager?

If anything he's greatly underrated.

Buffalo Bill

Jesus, I'm depressed now!

EastEnders_Title2.jpg

Buffalo Bill

Toxteth O'Grady

Korobochka and Koslovski offer Hearts the square route of nowt.

I disagree DH

Koslovski does a fine job

at wearing out a path round the perimeter at Riccarton:)

I remember the friendly game at Derby when JJ first appeared after taking the job as manager. The crowd welcomed him like a hero and you could almost sense we were going to win something with him at the helm.

I might be viewing things through maroon tinted specs but it just feels better when the manager has some real affinity with the club.

I'd certainly rather have JJ or Levein than Davies.

We need someone to come in and completely restucture the whole footballing side of the club (squad, coaching structure, medical side etc). Someone who will be utterly ruthless.

JJ is that man.

Who do you think Hearts can actually get? I keep reading the above comment from many fans when someone unglamourous, so to speak, is associated with the Hearts job.

FFS, i`ve always believed and as well as many down to earth Hearts fans, that employing someone with fire in their belly and a decent knowledge of the game is all Hearts need to flourish. Someone who`ll command respect from the players and get performances the fans can be proud of. Someone who`ll make the fans feel part of the club again.

Davies, Jefferies...they fit the bill for me.

Denny Crane

Hmmm... do I detect a :hobofish:

And it is Jefferies

Buffalo Bill
I remember the friendly game at Derby when JJ first appeared after taking the job as manager. The crowd welcomed him like a hero and you could almost sense we were going to win something with him at the helm.

I might be viewing things through maroon tinted specs but it just feels better when the manager has some real affinity with the club.

I'd certainly rather have JJ or Levein than Davies.

Eammon Bannon took the team that day at Derby, with JJ sitting in the stand. But as we went in 3-0 down at half time, Jeffries went into the dressing room to give them hell and we went back up the road with a result, which was more than what Bonny Prince Charlie managed 250 years previous.

Prince-Charles-Edward-Louis-Philip-Casimir-Stewart-the-Young-Pretender-or-Bonnie-Prince-Charlie-Giclee-Print-C12260829.jpeg

Buffalo Bill

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

JJ would be the best possible, the most honest, appointment as manager.

He is someone who understands Heart of Midlothian, and as he has probably got a bob or two, would certainly tell Vlad to stick it if he started his dirty little tricks. He is someone who is totally honest and has the trust of the fans.

He would be a god-send right now and we need him and most of all Heart of Midlothian needs a custodian that fully appreciates the Club to get us through this bad patch.

It is the best move politically also for Vlad if he realy cannot get a big name.

JJ or Levein.

But JJ will be easier. I have the utmost respect for Craig and fully understand why he wants to stay at DU. Though I believe deep down he would love to come back.

JJ will do. He gave us the best day of our lives in 1998.

Legend. Hearts man.

jambosean75

a few of the bluenoses at work were trying to wind me up about jj being our next manager.

told them i would take him over "WATTY" SMITH any day of the week.

his team played in one of the greatest matches i've ever seen. the league cup final. i know we got beat but what a game. at that point i started believing we might actually win a trophy in my life time.

a short time later we had that sunny day in may at darkhead.

so i would gladly welcome jj back home.

come on the hearts,

hopefully soon ,

come on jj's hearts

Jim Jeffries back as manager?

absolutley!

The only realistic candidate I would have in before him is Craig Leiven, only because he is younger.

Mark Mcghee; might have done a good job for us, but I think if he doesn't move to a bigger club before the new season he'll live to regret it.

I place JJ before Mcghee though.

PS. Vlad: Pick a half decent manager, pay the players half decent wages and let them get on with it! it's not rocket science ffs!

that's all.

Stewart MacD

Ideal. It would steady the ship, give Elvis experience, and could show if he has it in him to be the long-term answer.

Only a Game
a few of the bluenoses at work were trying to wind me up about jj being our next manager.

told them i would take him over "WATTY" SMITH any day of the week.

his team played in one of the greatest matches i've ever seen. the league cup final. i know we got beat but what a game. at that point i started believing we might actually win a trophy in my life time.

a short time later we had that sunny day in may at darkhead.

so i would gladly welcome jj back home.

come on the hearts,

hopefully soon ,

come on jj's hearts

C'mon.......FFS.........10 years ago he was lucky enough to get a squad together who for a very short time, made him look a far better manager than he looked in any other season he was with Hearts or any other club. He was a disaster after that and average at best before that. He's done nothing spectacular with Kilmarnock despite romantic notions to the contrary and I dont remember him setting the world alight with Falkirk.

He's yesterdays man, in fact he's the man from several yesterdays ago. We've been there, done it and had the best season of him that anyone will ever get.

Appointing Jefferies at this stage of his career and in the state we are in would be an unmitigated disaster and a huge disappointment compared to ALL the other names in the frame.

shaun.lawson
C'mon.......FFS.........10 years ago he was lucky enough to get a squad together who for a very short time, made him look a far better manager than he looked in any other season he was with Hearts or any other club. He was a disaster after that and average at best before that. He's done nothing spectacular with Kilmarnock despite romantic notions to the contrary and I dont remember him setting the world alight with Falkirk.

He's yesterdays man, in fact he's the man from several yesterdays ago. We've been there, done it and had the best season of him that anyone will ever get.

Appointing Jefferies at this stage of his career and in the state we are in would be an unmitigated disaster and a huge disappointment compared to ALL the other names in the frame.

I still don't follow this line of thinking. At what other point in our entire history would 3rd place and European qualification, as achieved under him in 1999/2000, qualify as a 'disaster'?!

Incidentally: I absolutely agree that it's dangerously romantic and nostalgic to look back ten years and assume he could do the same again. But most of us who're calling for his return hardly think this at all: instead, what we're talking about is him steadying the ship, providing some desperately needed stability, and allowing us to rebuild and hopefully groom a successor. Horses for courses, in other words.

As for the rest of your post: "far better manager than he looked in any other season with Hearts or any other club"? That's odd. So why were most of us so excited when he joined us from Falkirk, after leading them to 5th place and overseeing an exhilarating style of football there? Why were we all so encouraged by the way he ended almost four years of continual decline by both trusting in youth and making brilliantly outside the box signings? Why, when he insisted that the club was not cursed, and that every day that went by without a trophy took us closer to the day when we would win something, did so many of us believe in what he was saying, instead of assuming something awful would happen yet again?

There's more too. Why were so many fans gutted when he left rather than Robinson? Why do most Killie fans have a very positive view of most of his time there? Why, in Summer 1998, was he named by FourFourTwo as the second most likely British manager to achieve big things (Strachan, interestingly enough, came top), on Everton's shortlist to replace Howard Kendall, number one target for mid-table EPL club Sheffield Wednesday, and subsequently courted by both Aberdeen and Portsmouth?

Come on, man. No-one's arguing that he's the reincarnation of Tommy Walker. But not only is he Hearts' most successful manager since then, but he's had a very solid career everywhere but Bradford (who were already locked into a spiral of decline started by the idiotic Geoffrey Richmond's six weeks of madness in Summer 2000), and continues to command respect throughout the Scottish game. Not exactly disastrous credentials, to say the least.

Only a Game
I still don't follow this line of thinking. At what other point in our entire history would 3rd place and European qualification, as achieved under him in 1999/2000, qualify as a 'disaster'?!

Incidentally: I absolutely agree that it's dangerously romantic and nostalgic to look back ten years and assume he could do the same again. But most of us who're calling for his return hardly think this at all: instead, what we're talking about is him steadying the ship, providing some desperately needed stability, and allowing us to rebuild and hopefully groom a successor. Horses for courses, in other words.

As for the rest of your post: "far better manager than he looked in any other season with Hearts or any other club"? That's odd. So why were most of us so excited when he joined us from Falkirk, after leading them to 5th place and overseeing an exhilarating style of football there? Why were we all so encouraged by the way he ended almost four years of continual decline by both trusting in youth and making brilliantly outside the box signings? Why, when he insisted that the club was not cursed, and that every day that went by without a trophy took us closer to the day when we would win something, did so many of us believe in what he was saying, instead of assuming something awful would happen yet again?

There's more too. Why were so many fans gutted when he left rather than Robinson? Why do most Killie fans have a very positive view of most of his time there? Why, in Summer 1998, was he named by FourFourTwo as the second most likely British manager to achieve big things (Strachan, interestingly enough, came top), on Everton's shortlist to replace Howard Kendall, number one target for mid-table EPL club Sheffield Wednesday, and subsequently courted by both Aberdeen and Portsmouth?

Come on, man. No-one's arguing that he's the reincarnation of Tommy Walker. But not only is he Hearts' most successful manager since then, but he's had a very solid career everywhere but Bradford (who were already locked into a spiral of decline started by the idiotic Geoffrey Richmond's six weeks of madness in Summer 2000), and continues to command respect throughout the Scottish game. Not exactly disastrous credentials, to say the least.

Okay we'll agree to disagree on his abilities and achievements as a manager 7 -12 years ago. Except to say that he didnt go on the achieve big things as 4-4-2 predicted and he didnt actually get any of the nice big jobs you mentioned there.

But stability at this club will only happen when Romanov has decided it happens. Jefferries coming here will not, on its own provide that. In fact its likely to worsen things because of the kind of character he is, in my opinion of course. And you yourself even indicated Jefferies would be short term anyway.

Stability comes from one man and one man only. If he sees the need and wants to do it, surely there are better options than Jefferies to take advantage ?

shaun.lawson
Okay we'll agree to disagree on his abilities and achievements as a manager 7 -12 years ago. Except to say that he didnt go on the achieve big things as 4-4-2 predicted and he didnt actually get any of the nice big jobs you mentioned there.

But stability at this club will only happen when Romanov has decided it happens. Jefferries coming here will not, on its own provide that. In fact its likely to worsen things because of the kind of character he is, in my opinion of course. And you yourself even indicated Jefferies would be short term anyway.

Stability comes from one man and one man only. If he sees the need and wants to do it, surely there are better options than Jefferies to take advantage ?

Um - he didn't get the Sheffield Wednesday, Portsmouth or Aberdeen jobs purely because he committed himself to Hearts! There's no doubt in my mind that his love of the club stunted his career: a harder headed man might well have left us in Summer '98 for an established Premiership club at Hillsborough, but he didn't, because he thought bigger things were still possible with us. That they didn't materialise was down to many factors: the rapid breakup of the 97/8 side and sales of McCann, Weir and Hamilton being a particularly big one.

Short term? What's so wrong with bringing in someone to steady the ship and sort out the crap for a couple of years anyway? And I'm confused: are we looking for a manager with a backbone who can stand up to Vlad, or not? Because the amount of posts suggesting that with Vlad around, JJ would be out in no time have left me baffled: exactly who would this not apply to?

On your last point: I wish that were the case, believe me I do, but why else do you think Levein has distanced himself from the vacancy so strongly? I think it's very likely that Hearts, and Vlad in particular, will have to prove to the wider footballing world that we and he have truly changed - otherwise, the job is just too much of a gamble for most aspiring candidates. Meaning the best ones aren't open to us, which leaves a period of regrouping under a safe pair of hands as probably the best realistic solution.

Archived