Winchburgh Village

G.Wright

My good lady is trying to convince me to move to one of the new Belway houses in Winchburgh. I'm not too keen as I think it's a step too far from Edinburgh. The mad thing is I stay in Kirkliston at the moment so it's not much further at all but I seem to have a physcological barrier to going any further west.

I'm from west Edinburgh originally, although have spent time abroad , and would love to love back there but can't afford the type of house we want in the town.

She's telling me all about the expansion including the marina and sainsburys etc but I'm still to be convinced, so figured I see what a faceless cast of thousands (?) had to say on the matter.

Winchburgh... Aye or naw?

Have got family from Winchburgh, always seemed quite an insular kind of place. Probably changed now with all the new developments, but still seems a bit odd whenever I've cut through there in the car.

What's this about a marina and a Sainsbury's? Must've missed that.

As part of the new development at the west end of the village there is going to be a new 'leisure' complex and shopping centre including a sainsburys. There are also plans for a marina on the union canal, as well as a new main road from the new bridge.

There is millions of pounds being put in to the village.

Mate, you wouldn't want to buy a Bellway house plus Winchburgh is a shitehouse.

Try South Queensferry (Dalmeny) , it's got a few decent developments on the go, a bit more expensive mind.

New build in Kirky has to be the move. Queensferry new houses are extortionate and Winchburgh is a hole ... you want to make some cash mind.

Where are you in Kirky?

Winchburgh is a hole.

Try looking further West to Linlithgow if you are moving out that way.

Alternatively Bathgate. At least they both have train stations and high schools.

Not much love for the place then :)

I'm in a new build in Kirkliston at the moment. It's a long story but essentially I need to give my mother in law a substantial chunk of cash. The only way we can finance this is by selling and downsizing. Looking at top end ?190k, 3 bed preferably semi detached.

The new builds at Dalmeny park are not suitable as they are 'gold standard' and are for lower income families apparently.

I thought Bellway had a good reputation?

I'm in a new build in Kirkliston at the moment. It's a long story but essentially I need to give my mother in law a substantial chunk of cash. The only way we can finance this is by selling and downsizing. Looking at top end ?190k, 3 bed preferably semi detached.

The new builds at Dalmeny park are not suitable as they are 'gold standard' and are for lower income families apparently.

We used to say when going through Winchburgh on the train "blink and you'll miss it but you'll certainly smell it"

Me and the wife were out at Dalmeny last week and looked at a Barratt 350k and a Cala 650k so they're defo not for low income families. We then went to Winchburgh for a nosey and there was a decent 3 bed detached with a crap garden for about 300k.

I'm no expert but don't think you'll get what you're looking for at that sort of price in the areas we're talking about.

Also my reasoning on Bellway is my sister got a new Bellway house (a few years ago admittedly) and they've had no end of problems with it, all depends on what contractors they are using to build them but personally I wouldn't touch them.

Bathgate and Livi are too far out.

Really? Bus is about an hour and train 20 minutes or so.

There is always the Calders, Mid or East, which is a little closer to Edinburgh, but probably rules out the train, as you'd we quicker bussing it, rather than walking/driving to the station

We used to say when going through Winchburgh on the train "blink and you'll miss it but you'll certainly smell it"

Me and the wife were out at Dalmeny last week and looked at a Barratt 350k and a Cala 650k so they're defo not for low income families. We then went to Winchburgh for a nosey and there was a decent 3 bed detached with a crap garden for about 300k.

I'm no expert but don't think you'll get what you're looking for at that sort of price in the areas we're talking about.

Also my reasoning on Bellway is my sister got a new Bellway house (a few years ago admittedly) and they've had no end of problems with it, all depends on what contractors they are using to build them but personally I wouldn't touch them.

Could be worse. Could have been a Persimmons house.

'and there was a decent 3 bed detached with a crap garden for about 300k.'

Third of a million to stay in Winchburgh? Yer havin' a giraffe mate. More like turd of a million. Don't know what the fascination is with wanting to stay closer to town. The new rail links from West Lothian are fantastic. Get yourself on the Bathgate or Linlithgpw Line.Glesga and Embra are 30 minutes away. And you can get blootered and not worry about the car. ?300k will get you an amazing gaff in Linlithgow never mind Winchburgh.

'and there was a decent 3 bed detached with a crap garden for about 300k.'

Third of a million to stay in Winchburgh? Yer havin' a giraffe mate. More like turd of a million. Don't know what the fascination is with wanting to stay closer to town. The new rail links from West Lothian are fantastic. Get yourself on the Bathgate or Linlithgpw Line.Glesga and Embra are 30 minutes away. And you can get blootered and not worry about the car. ?300k will get you an amazing gaff in Linlithgow never mind Winchburgh.

Aye, scary stuff mate. Actually they're having trouble selling that house, you might get them down to 290k :)

Too far for what? Livingston and Bathgate are literally 15/20 minutes from Edinburgh.

Too far for me. As per OP I don't really want to go further west than I already am.

I reread my reply re Dalmeny Park.  What I meant with regards to the low income families was regarding the properties that fell into my budget, not the development in its entirety. There are a few houses within my remit in the areas I would prefer, but its less property for more money.

I'm selling a three bed in Queensferry.....

Where about? We are going to look at a couple of the ferry tomorrow

fabienleclerq

Too far for me. As per OP I don't really want to go further west than I already am.

I reread my reply re Dalmeny Park. What I meant with regards to the low income families was regarding the properties that fell into my budget, not the development in its entirety. There are a few houses within my remit in the areas I would prefer, but its less property for more money.

Where about? We are going to look at a couple of the ferry tomorrow

Almond Grove, not on the market yet but we are viewing a few houses in Dunfermline tomorrow so will be soon. Pm me if you wanna have a look!

Used to stay in threemiletown just along from winchburgh... And as everyone says winchburgh is a dump( where they are building the houses used to be a landfill) Although when dot had the pub it was OK for cheap food. Look at Linlithgow by the sea (bo'ness) if you canny afford lithgy. Don't go Bathgate it snows in June.

Winchburgh used to be a big Hibby stronghold about 20/30 years ago, is it still the same?

I live there and have never met any also there are many Jambo's here but the it is probably still a strong hold for the old firm ......

Anyway houses, there are a few really nice looking houses but from what I have seen they are just your usual kit house thrown together by your typical builder who's main aim in life is to get pissed at the weekend. None of the houses are built on the land fill but they are close to it.

What you do need to remember though is that Winchburgh is an old shael mining village and going by the size of the bings around it there can't be much holding it up.

As for the natives, well the chapel is a lot busier than the church, the East side of the canal is quieter than the west side which is full of ferel kids, drunken poles and Russians, the main Street is the meeting place for the alkies, and the local car repair guy stores his work in progress in all the already congested housing schemes.

The pub is cliquie as ****, the chapel hall has a bar but is not very friendly and the bowling club the last time I was in it sells the worst tasting beer on the planet. Oh and I forgot to mention the drugs problem and for it size its probably had more murders per head of population than anywhere else in west lothian.

But apart from that it's a great wee place to live

The Bellways in Kirkliston are very decent. We've got friends in the Walkers and Barratt in Kirky.

Just really depends how Winchburgh turns out, avoid being near the affordable housing as it'll be rough as. You'll sell Kirkliston no bother as they all seem to go after a few weeks

Used to be an unusually high number of vermin fans in Winchburgh , most seemed to be in my class at Linlithgow Academy. It is now a quiet village only one pub and one club. When I meet my mate who lives there we go to pubs in linlithgow. The houses look ok but building will last 10-15 years. If you have the cash Queensferry and linlithgow are far better options.

Sent from my ZTE Blade Q Mini using Tapatalk

chuck berrys hairline

Calderwood in East Calder is where it's happening. Get yourself out here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prone to flooding I believe?

Built on old farm fields that were natural flood plains down to the Almond. Now nowhere for water to run was the gripes of first settlers I spoke too.

What about midlothian? Houses getting thrown up everywhere, also the new Dhawfair development. Added bonus of the Borders line up and running now.

Brian Badonde

Prone to flooding I believe?

Built on old farm fields that were natural flood plains down to the Almond. Now nowhere for water to run was the gripes of first settlers I spoke too.

I can report than we are watertight after the recent downpours. However one company did refuse me insurance on grounds of flooding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd agree with the votes for Linlithgow. Much nicer town. 

I've known some people from Winchburgh, visited a few times. Not a great place. A few years back getting a Chinese take-away was the biggest deal the little place had experienced in years. The people...are a mixed bunch. From what I've heard a lot of looneys have been released from jail the last few years and are now terrorizing the place at night. The pub was...decentish, I guess, when I was there. It apparently goes through phases: occasionally busy, often dead. Seems to have become infested by the local thugs recently. No one I know goes there any more. They all go into Linlithgow (oh hey!) or Edinburgh or Bathgate. 

Popular story there is about a guy who got into a fight with his best friend, and then tried to kill him with a sword. Now he's out and about from jail and they're the best of friends again. It's a weird place. 

John Gentleman

They all go into Linlithgow (oh hey!) or Edinburgh or Bathgate. 

Well, at least there's plenty of choice ? 15 pubs in the EH49 (Linlithgow) postal district!

That's no' counting Lithgae Rose Social Club, Lithgae Golf Club etc.

ps: .....and only one chippy as far as I know ? Cabrelli's. Queue for a fish supper after closing time must be about 2 miles long!

Winchburgh used to be a big Hibby stronghold about 20/30 years ago, is it still the same?

That's why they all have webbed fingers and toes through there.

My only memory of Winchborugh was a really shit new year at this wife beater's house. His partner invited me & my girl friend went through. As it was her mate I reluctantly accepted. Around 1.00 into the new Millennium the bloke came home completely pissed up. He 'started' on everyone., me, my pal, his unfortunate girlfriend. He was lucky he didn't get my bottle of Smirnoff smashed over his head. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. Despite that it still took until well after 4am to get a taxi. Will never be back there again.

Small house in Edinburgh > Large house in West Lothain.

Do you really want to live in a dump all for a slightly larger house?

Livingston, Bathgate etc. are all truly depressing places. Never in a million years would I want to live there.

Small house in Edinburgh > Large house in West Lothain.

Do you really want to live in a dump all for a slightly larger house?

Livingston, Bathgate etc. are all truly depressing places. Never in a million years would I want to live there.

1 bed tenement flat in Gorgie/Dalry = 3 bed kit house in West Lothian

Well, at least there's plenty of choice ? 15 pubs in the EH49 (Linlithgow) postal district!

That's no' counting Lithgae Rose Social Club, Lithgae Golf Club etc.

ps: .....and only one chippy as far as I know ? Cabrelli's. Queue for a fish supper after closing time must be about 2 miles long!

John, Cabrellis has been poor for about 10 years now Golden Chip is far superior.

Sent from my ZTE Blade Q Mini using Tapatalk

Jam Tarts 1874

Speaking as someone who lives in Kirkliston and spent a couple of years living in Winchburgh ages ago, I have to say that everyone I encounter from Winchburgh seems extremely backward.  It seems that every time I drive through Winchburgh I have some kind of near miss due to the completely idiotic driving of the locals, when you pull them up on it, they go berserk - they seem 100% feral!

But by far the biggest drawback to Winchburgh is the traffic if you have to get  into Edinburgh at normal work times.  Even by 7.30am the queues through Kirkliston can stretch all the way back to the roundabout at the Leisure Centre, then once you have endured this, you then have Newbridge - it's become a nightmare and just gets worse as more people move into the new homes in Kirkliston and Winchburgh.

Getting back home is also horrendous due to the large number of vehicles trying to use Kirkliston as a short cut to the Forth Road Bridge. 

There are some backroad ways of avoiding some of this, but now we are into the winter, some of these backroads are flooded and the potholes just get bigger every day.

I need to give my mother in law a substantial chunk of cash.

You do know that we'll be speculating as to why ?

Winchburgh isn't the answer. Unless the question is ' name the closest absolute shitehole to Kirkliston'

Could this be the first thread of kickback with universal agreement? I genuinely expected at least a couple of positive responses.

It's a long story re the reason for the payoff. I'll leave you all to draw your own reasons which will probably be a lot more interesting.

Linlithgow is pretty expensive, although I agree it's a nice/good town.

We will work something out. Thanks for the input.

Would Midlothian be of interest? Plenty of new developments up this way. Lothian buses go up this way (including night buses) and the new borders railway line is in full swing.

William H. Bonney

How much do houses go for in the gorgie area these days?

Sold my flat in gorgie during the summer. Didnt break even. Not really a particularly good area so house prices pretty low.

Would Midlothian be of interest? Plenty of new developments up this way. Lothian buses go up this way (including night buses) and the new borders railway line is in full swing.

I hadn't given it much thought to be honest, will have a gander tonight as a few folk have mentioned that now.

Archived