what is the end game?

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

Relatively debt free and financialy sound.

Stadium capacity at 22k.

What does this mean and what is the expectation.

League winners, 3rd place, more cups, same as?

For me crowds of 18/19k should give us a footing to consolidate 3rd behind the Of.

Around 33% more than hibs / Aberdeen. And 4/5 times the revenue of the motherwell s and st Johnstone 's.

Can we realistically challenge the Of even if this came about?

I'd like to see us become a feynoord \ ath. Madrid type team where we can challenge and win the league now and then, have a bit if distance from the rest of the league and get to more finals and win more cups.

3 cups in 50 years is not good enough.

Rangers might be hamstrung for a bit, and all the better if they stay down or go to the wall again.

What's everyones thoughts on what we should be doing, realistically over the medium and long term?

Steady building of the club. A good season at a 22k stadium could see us have a revenue of 12 to 14 million. That's a 6 or 7 million wage bill. Better players and possibly able to spend some money. Just try and keep growing!

scott herbertson

champions league of course - then world club championship

getting back to reality I want us to win the league before I die, and that's it for me. I think that's a realistic prospect once every 10-15 years if we are nearly filling a 22k seater

better_call_saul

There's no reason why Hearts cannot remain on this steady trajectory.

However, looking at previous non-OF clubs who have maintained 3rd-4th position in the league come May (Hibs, Motherwell, Aberdeen etc). It?s evident that it is hard to maintain any method of consistency.

For me the only logical next step is to upgrade the stadium and to buy Riccarton outright. There has been a conveyor belt of young talent coming through the club in the past decade, going back to Gordon and Berra, that has brought millions into the club. The only way to preserve Hearts as being the 3rd best club in Scotland is to produce actual quality that can be marketed to EPL sides through involvement in the national set up. Just look at the team in 2002-03 with Pressley, Webster and Severin and then in 2005-06 with Gordon, Berra and Hartley. Granted, not all players came through the youth set up, but all of the aforementioned players made their name at Tynecastle. Hopefully the likes of Nicholson, Paterson, King, Hamilton and Walker will be the next batch?

Bazzas right boot

champions league of course - then world club championship

getting back to reality I want us to win the league before I die, and that's it for me. I think that's a realistic prospect once every 10-15 years if we are nearly filling a 22k seater

You stopped too soon, in few years I see an inter galatic games, so after world championship, I want us to beat the kingons.

I agree a league title is the goal, on our path I see no reason not, a club like hearts filling. A 20k stadium surley has to nick a cup every 2/3 years and a league once in a while.

However, looking at previous non-OF clubs who have maintained 3rd-4th position in the league come May (Hibs, Motherwell, Aberdeen etc). It?s evident that it is hard to maintain any method of consistency.

For me the only logical next step is to upgrade the stadium and to buy Riccarton outright. There has been a conveyor belt of young talent coming through the club in the past decade, going back to Gordon and Berra, that has brought millions into the club. The only way to preserve Hearts as being the 3rd best club in Scotland is to produce actual quality that can be marketed to EPL sides through involvement in the national set up. Just look at the team in 2002-03 with Pressley, Webster and Severin and then in 2005-06 with Gordon, Berra and Hartley. Granted, not all players came through the youth set up, but all of the aforementioned players made their name at Tynecastle. Hopefully the likes of Nicholson, Paterson, King, Hamilton and Walker will be the next batch?

I dont think we can buy Riccarton, thats going to belong to the SFA, isn?t it?

Cast No Shadow

Hibs haven't finished 3rd for over a decade. Four times in 40 years.

If we can consolidate 3rd place (perhaps 2nd this year) for the next 4 or 5 years and continue to be run the way we are then that gives us a good platform to push on for cups and perhaps push the old firm in seasons they are below par.

The only way we'll achieve that is by the fans continuing to turn up in the numbers we have had the past 2 or 3 seasons. If crowds fall we will go through the same phases as before just like Dundee Utd and Aberdeen do, a good season in every 3 on average

If Celtic and Rangers start to perform in Europe like the size of clubs they are then Scotland will quickly move up in the co-efficient, resulting in us having a much better chance of reaching Europa League group stages in a few years time. The windfall from that could be a game changer in terms of taking a big step away from the rest, 3 sell out home games, tv money etc, albeit making it more difficult to catch the Old Firm

ChunkyCharlie

Excellent thread!

We need to keep improving in similar fashion to what we have. Stadium capacity is a big one as we need more fans attending and bringing more money into the club via they gate.

As for footballing side of things, we need to steadily break into the OF's dominance and then take over from them. This being Scotland third force pish means nothing to me.

Everything in moderation and small steps at a time though.

Son Of Anarchy

I'd love to see us win the league one day. ******* love it. Realistically just now I just want to see us get stronger every year playing good attacking football but remaining within budget. I love to win but winning playing good football is what I really want to see.

Building the main stand, gains from the new Riccarton, getting the crowds up higher still, and winning a trophy would be an excellent and achievable target for the next 3-4 years.

If we can be consistent in the league, we can mount a serious challenge to Celtic, but that will take a bit of time, a lot of hard work, brilliant recruiting and a bit of luck along the way.

More European nights would be good as well.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Relatively debt free and financialy sound.

Stadium capacity at 22k.

What does this mean and what is the expectation.

League winners, 3rd place, more cups, same as?

For me crowds of 18/19k should give us a footing to consolidate 3rd behind the Of.

Around 33% more than hibs / Aberdeen. And 4/5 times the revenue of the motherwell s and st Johnstone 's.

Can we realistically challenge the Of even if this came about?

I'd like to see us become a feynoord \ ath. Madrid type team where we can challenge and win the league now and then, have a bit if distance from the rest of the league and get to more finals and win more cups.

3 cups in 50 years is not good enough.

Rangers might be hamstrung for a bit, and all the better if they stay down or go to the wall again.

What's everyones thoughts on what we should be doing, realistically over the medium and long term?

I think you summed it up quite succinctly

Aye and you would think they were regular top 3/4 finishers in the "top league" the way the losers bang on

better_call_saul

That?s my point, dafty. Hearts need to build the infrastructure so when we do finish 3rd or 2nd we can aim to do the same the following year, and then the year after that and so on. Hibs didn?t do that. Hence why they?re rubbish.

better_call_saul

I dont think we can buy Riccarton, thats going to belong to the SFA, isn?t it?

As far as I am aware Hearts and Heriott Watt went into the venture as partners. Although, I believe Hearts may have even sold some (if not all) of their share to the Uni when we were in the sh*t and had to start paying rent to use the facilities (it even rings a bell that we stopped paying rent to HW when we stopped paying Stevo and Blackie etc). Not overly sure on the current standing however so do not quote me.

I'd like to think, within the next 5 years, we'd've put together a team that can run Celtic close. If the stick with Ragin' Ronny, anything will be possible.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bazzas right boot

One lucky break that gives us the league and champions league money would set us up for years.

Food point, it also stops the of getting money that season.

Could be a game changer, would put us a fair bit ahead of any Aberdeen, utd or hibs side that was near us as well.

Is there ever an end game in football?

Its a continual challenge.

Short to mid term i`d imagine the plan is to finish the stadium(obviously) and on the park set a standard to live up to longer term.

Its always about trying to win trophies and how you get there can be down to many factors. The growth and progress of the academy will be an important aspect i`d imagine but we`ll always have to look out for shrewd acquisitions.

When it comes to a Saturday at 3 o`clock its still down to how well you`ve built the first team no matter how well background aspects of the club are doing.

Being able to hang onto the better players in face of interest from the cash rich English game and, the bloodsucking Two Cheeks, who have a long history of killing the opposition by buying the best players, even if it means them sitting on the bench.

Bringing through a conveyor belt of young talent to deal with above.  There are no guarantees.  Look at the wee team, where has been the follow up to Brown, Thomson, Fletcher etc.?  Look at Dundee Utd.

If we can cope with all that, then we can post a serious challenge.

This chapter in our history will be one of the few times where we will be financially secure, with cash in bank and a manageable wage bill.

Players/management will come and go but we will be secure. We should also have the 3rd biggest budget through time, good youth prospects and never be in a position where 1 person controls the decisions of the club.

The next 5 years will be our best chance of winning the league, Celtic are trying to win the league on the cheap and rangers look like they could self implode again in the next few seasons.

Aberdeen pay over the odds wages on players with little sell on value and utd lack any form of investment.

We really should be targeting 3 trophys over a 5 year period and become a regular team in Europa group stages. This could be our 'golden era' with no financial risk to the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started a thread before the season started about Levein's ambition, I believe it was mocked over on Hibs.net.

I firmly believe the 'end game' is to win the league. Celtic are weak, Rangers nowhere near a threat without going bust again. The timing is perfect. It will not be this season, maybe not next but soon.

In the long term we are to be a Scottish Ajax....best youths possible with sell on value while attracting good young players from around the world.

I genuinely think the plan is for Hearts to be playing at very least Europa League football every season within the next 5 years.

Remember Levein has a hell of a point to prove to the footballing authorities, press etc.

Last season was the 30th successive season that one of the OF have won the league.

With Celtic not spending massive amounts of money like they used to and no champions league money, the next season or two could be the best chance we're going to have to win the league.

Can we do it? I think back to last season when everyone just assumed Rangers would romp the league even when we were 15 to 20 points clear, we have to believe we can win the league or what's the point.

As a previous poster said 3 cups in 50 years isn't good enough although 3 in 17 years isn't that bad.

To win the league we'll need a higher calibre of player than we have now or foreseeably in the next few years. Not all our players have a sell on value either, Wilson went for nothing, Keatings, McHattie, MacDonald, McKay and Holt went for little. Arguably some of them had sell on value.

It's going well now, but lets stay grounded. I don't think we've been very good this season. Our play isn't great and we lack that sharpness we showed early last season with quick flowing play.

We're lucky at the moment that Aberdeen are having a blip. United are non-existent and other top 6 sides are beating each other often. Celtic are at their weakest in year, crap back line and key players going awol in games at all levels. Still couldn't beat them in the League Cup at home in front of a big crowd.

To win the league we need to look for a few better players across the squad. Imo, Rossi is our best player at present. Need to be aiming for more like him. Hope I'm wrong but we wont win a league with Gomis and Bauben in the middle.

Bazzas right boot

Last season was the 30th successive season that one of the OF have won the league.

With Celtic not spending massive amounts of money like they used to and no champions league money, the next season or two could be the best chance we're going to have to win the league.

Can we do it? I think back to last season when everyone just assumed Rangers would romp the league even when we were 15 to 20 points clear, we have to believe we can win the league or what's the point.

As a previous poster said 3 cups in 50 years isn't good enough although 3 in 17 years isn't that bad.

Would 3 cups in 17 years be good going forward if we continue with the new stand and have the biggest resource apart from the of?

Someone mention ajax, I feel that in that context we could be feynoord, not in top two but well clear in 3rd and challenging the top 2 ever so often.

Ath Madrid and feynoord are the best consistent examples I can think off.

At the moment we have little if anything over motherwell / Inverness when it comes to the league.

Charlie-Brown

Nobody would have predicted in November 2014 that one year later Dundee United would be adrift at the bottom of the SPFL its amazing how quickly things can change in football for better or worse.

Upgrade Tynecastle to 23,000 seats.

Finances in the black.

Steady progression on the field.
Regular European football.

Regular cup wins.

Hibs go bust.

Sevco go bust.

League win.

Endgame.

To win the league we'll need a higher calibre of player than we have now or foreseeably in the next few years. Not all our players have a sell on value either, Wilson went for nothing, Keatings, McHattie, MacDonald, McKay and Holt went for little. Arguably some of them had sell on value.

Hope I'm wrong but we wont win a league with Gomis and Bauben in the middle.

Just as well we have Pallardo and Djoum!!

With regards to your earlier point, I don't think any of the players listed could have earned a fee which would have made the club stronger... Or even offset their wages.

Keatings - great Championship striker, unproven at Premiership level. Very injury prone as already show this season, although jury out on Really as a replacement.

McHattie - solid Premiership player, no monetary value in that though. His departure = more first team action for McGhee a player who will earn us millions.

Wilson - high earner, not half as good as Rossi or Augustyn.

McKay - not getting a start at St Johnstone... More opportunity for McGhee.

Holt - tidy but no superstar, not in the same class as Djoum.

McDonald - never going to earn a fee and nowhere near as good as Alexander.

With regards to the future, regular Europa League football is the goal and would double our turnover if we made the group stages. This in turn would narrow the gap to Celtic.

Seymour M Hersh

Upgrade Tynecastle to 23,000 seats.

Finances in the black.

Steady progression on the field.

Regular European football at Tynecastle.

Regular cup wins.

Hibs go bust.

Sevco go bust.

Celtic go bust.

League win.

Endgame.

Couple of amendments but aye, i'm with you on those bullet points.

I think the emphasis on the academy is the greatest it has ever been.

At a guess I'd imagine our aim is to have a polished coaching structure taking the standard of young player to new levels that will be good enough to more than compete with the OF.

I often think why can't Scottish football ,or basically Hearts, not produce say a 2 million pound player like a Johansen? Even players like him aren't world beaters but this is sadly where Scottish football is.

Breeding players with that ability and attitude to hit a higher , regular trophy winning level won't be easy and we'll always have to acquire players , but the emphasis on blooding players is imagine will become greater.

Just as well we have Pallardo and Djoum!!

With regards to your earlier point, I don't think any of the players listed could have earned a fee which would have made the club stronger... Or even offset their wages.

Keatings - great Championship striker, unproven at Premiership level. Very injury prone as already show this season, although jury out on Really as a replacement.

McHattie - solid Premiership player, no monetary value in that though. His departure = more first team action for McGhee a player who will earn us millions.

Wilson - high earner, not half as good as Rossi or Augustyn.

McKay - not getting a start at St Johnstone... More opportunity for McGhee.

Holt - tidy but no superstar, not in the same class as Djoum.

McDonald - never going to earn a fee and nowhere near as good as Alexander.

I think the two keepers aren't great at commanding their area. Both are good shot stoppers and Alexander's experience at the back is more valuable.

McHattie, I'd have kept. McGhee is a top prospect, but he won't earn us millions from left back. He's a centre back or a right back. He's done admirably at left back, but don't see him hold that done. Oshiniwa is a jury out as well and don't see much sell on value.

McKay and Wilson are a bit meh, I agree.

Keatings and Holt though I think could've done a turn for us at this level. I've seen nothing in the rest of the SPL beyond the top 3 or 4 sides which says they wouldn't have coped. Holt got little game time last year for us. Which I thought was a bit odd. Keatings as well was dumped after injury and after a great start. In my view. We've lacked that quickness and pace in switching from defence to attack this year and a wee bit of something different.

And I don't see a sell on value in Bauben, Pallardo or Gomis. Yet their contracts were extended (in Pallardo and Gomis's case I would've done that). Djoum may well earn us money, but I don't think there's a huge amount of sell on value in that squad beyond Paterson, Nicholson and McGhee in a couple of years time.

The improvements of the youth setup is the important part for me, it may take four or five years for Levien's plans to start producing the next batch of high potential youngsters. Then there is the problem of keeping them long enough to be able to mount a sustain challenge for trophies. Dundee United is the prime example. Levien had a lot to do with the youth policy that provided them with so many good youngsters. Now Gauld, Mackay-Steven, Armstrong etc. have been sold on and they find themselves struggling at the foot of the table.

It will become more difficult when Rangers come back up, Celtic are weak just now but will spend big and see more fans come back when the other arsecheek returns.

The new stand will allow us to create more revenue through increased attendances and corporate facilities, and there is no doubt the club is in a stronger financial position then it has ever been in my lifetime.

It will be a struggle to break the old firm duopoly, you have to beat them not just on the field but also have to deal with a hostile press and a ruling body that ensures most of the games revenues go to the Glasgow clubs. We'll never have a better chance to do it though.

I see no reason why it's not at least possible to emulate what Aberdeen did under Frrguson.  Don't forget the OF were much stronger then and Aberdeen didn't have massive wads of cash to splash around.

It's a bit of a pipe dream I know but it has to be possible.

I often think why can't Scottish football ,or basically Hearts, not produce say a 2 million pound player like a Johansen? Even players like him aren't world beaters but this is sadly where Scottish football is.

Breeding players with that ability and attitude to hit a higher , regular trophy winning level won't be easy and we'll always have to acquire players , but the emphasis on blooding players is imagine will become greater.

But we have produced a number of quality players in Scotland over the last 20 years.  Between just the Edinburgh clubs we have developed Gordon, Naysmith, Wallace, Ritchie, Johnston, Driver, O'Connor, Ratboy, Thomson, Brown - and that has brought in more than 20 million pounds in transfer fees.  We've polished up young Scottish players like Cameron, McCann, Weir, Hartley, Pressley, Webster, Allen and Griffiths.  At the moment we have some cracking young players.

We do develop players.  I just think we don't have the mentality at the club to win the league.  Look at the type of personality it has taken to win the league outside of the OF - it was Ferguson and McLean.  We've had some really good managers at Hearts, but we've never had someone with the attitude of Ferguson or McLean.

jamboinglasgow

I think the emphasis on the academy is the greatest it has ever been.

At a guess I'd imagine our aim is to have a polished coaching structure taking the standard of young player to new levels that will be good enough to more than compete with the OF.

That to me is a crucial part of the plan. Its where Hearts future succeeds or falls down and we just tread water.

What feels different with Levein's plan is that there is a plan from the youngest age to first team which can be broken down but ultimately looks to bring through a technically proficient player who is mentally ready for the first team and further. Each stage of the academy is tailored to develop the player in the right way for that age. So 6-8 is all about identifying youngsters, giving fun sessions which can help bits of ability but also builds bonds between clubs, parents and youngsters. Then 9-12 where the concentration is on skills (as that is seen the best age where players learn it) so using box soccer program to get players the skills that  they require. 13-16/17 is where the mental coaching comes in, so tactics are taught, game mentality is taught etc. Then 16/17+ the move out of the academy into the Under 20 squad where they are fine tuned to be ready for the first team. All the while there is a set coaching course to benefit coaches that has been brought together so that the program is the envy of Scottish football. To me it feels like a system where everything has been thought out in full rather than a patchwork of good ideas that dont quite match up and co-ordinate meaning a players development can be all over the place.

What I am getting at that if it is done correctly then it provides a vital system that creates the players that builds the team, as you say producing a player like Johanson. Who can benefit our team week in and out and when moved on make money that be re-invested into the club and grow. To me that is what if done right and be a beneficial circle for us. When you add in increased revenue from an stadium redevelopment it means that we can build a team season on season. As others say the gradual increase is what we should aim for. Grow, stablise that position then grow. Step by step. Who knows where we can go.

As for Dundee United in regards to investing in youth, I think they are more a warning of what can happen if you build something but lose focus. To me the had the right things but all over the shop in how to implement them, from chairman, to manager and so on. They had a good youth system, brought some great players through, but then got side tracked on getting other youngsters from other clubs. Those players have talented but they blocked the progress together which meant it stopped focus on each talented youngster to develop. 

It's going well now, but lets stay grounded. I don't think we've been very good this season. Our play isn't great and we lack that sharpness we showed early last season with quick flowing play.

We're lucky at the moment that Aberdeen are having a blip. United are non-existent and other top 6 sides are beating each other often. Celtic are at their weakest in year, crap back line and key players going awol in games at all levels. Still couldn't beat them in the League Cup at home in front of a big crowd.

To win the league we need to look for a few better players across the squad. Imo, Rossi is our best player at present. Need to be aiming for more like him. Hope I'm wrong but we wont win a league with Gomis and Bauben in the middle.

I agree we've not been very good this season. Despite that, we're second. Augers well. I'd expect Pallardo and Djoum to be our first choice midfield soon.

I think the two keepers aren't great at commanding their area. Both are good shot stoppers and Alexander's experience at the back is more valuable.

McHattie, I'd have kept. McGhee is a top prospect, but he won't earn us millions from left back. He's a centre back or a right back. He's done admirably at left back, but don't see him hold that done. Oshiniwa is a jury out as well and don't see much sell on value.

McKay and Wilson are a bit meh, I agree.

Keatings and Holt though I think could've done a turn for us at this level. I've seen nothing in the rest of the SPL beyond the top 3 or 4 sides which says they wouldn't have coped. Holt got little game time last year for us. Which I thought was a bit odd. Keatings as well was dumped after injury and after a great start. In my view. We've lacked that quickness and pace in switching from defence to attack this year and a wee bit of something different.

And I don't see a sell on value in Bauben, Pallardo or Gomis. Yet their contracts were extended (in Pallardo and Gomis's case I would've done that). Djoum may well earn us money, but I don't think there's a huge amount of sell on value in that squad beyond Paterson, Nicholson and McGhee in a couple of years time.

Not suggesting for one moment that McGhee's future lies at left back, but McHattie's departure means he is getting first team football he wouldn't otherwise have got.

Not all players need to have resale value, indeed when we are balancing the books, we don't actually need to sell anyone for big bucks... Although when the time comes the fees we receive for Paterson, Nicholson, McGhee and Walker will be beneficial.

I agreed that Holt could do a job, but if we still had him, we wouldn't have Djoum.

Keatings for me, is football's equivalent of cricket's flat track bully, he'll score aa barrowload against poor teams, but was worse than a man down against Hibs and Rangers last year. Sow and Juanma are already much better players and Reilly has the potential to be better - hopefully Dundee in 8 days time will kick start his Hearts career.

The key to improving is to keep replacing players with better ones which is largely what we are doing, for example Gomis and Buaben were great signings in the Championship and better than Robinson/Holt. We now have Pallardo and Djoum who are better than Gomis/Buaben. The next stage is to upgrade from Pallardo /Djoum.

I think someone will win the league out with the ugly sisters in the next few years ,,,either be us or Aberdeen

Need to get over the fear cause they are nothing special

Not suggesting for one moment that McGhee's future lies at left back, but McHattie's departure means he is getting first team football he wouldn't otherwise have got.

Not all players need to have resale value, indeed when we are balancing the books, we don't actually need to sell anyone for big bucks... Although when the time comes the fees we receive for Paterson, Nicholson, McGhee and Walker will be beneficial.

I agreed that Holt could do a job, but if we still had him, we wouldn't have Djoum.

Keatings for me, is football's equivalent of cricket's flat track bully, he'll score aa barrowload against poor teams, but was worse than a man down against Hibs and Rangers last year. Sow and Juanma are already much better players and Reilly has the potential to be better - hopefully Dundee in 8 days time will kick start his Hearts career.

The key to improving is to keep replacing players with better ones which is largely what we are doing, for example Gomis and Buaben were great signings in the Championship and better than Robinson/Holt. We now have Pallardo and Djoum who are better than Gomis/Buaben. The next stage is to upgrade from Pallardo /Djoum.

Based on how we played towards the end of last year I'd argue for the goals he scored Zeefuik was a passenger with little about him compared with Keats but that's done now.

Holt was worth keeping as he's a different type of player from Gomis/Pallardo/Bauben/Djoum. He was more the type you'd have behind the striker whereas Djoum is more box-to-box to me.

Yes, it's all about gradual improvements year on year. But I think it's worth staying grounded here. I think Walker is great SPL player but doubt he'll ever be a Scotland international or earn us big money. Sam might but he needs to lift his head and start shooting more for me and bulk up a bit. Paterson, at the moment, is our best chance of sell on value.

As for Reilly, I want him to do well but he's not really looked the part when he's entered games. Will he start anytime soon? How is he to be played? I'd argue, like Keatings he may score lots in the championship but is totally unproven at this level and he's not looked a pacey attacker or a more all rounded type than who he replaced.

However, I hope it all comes together in the fullness of time. First thing to do is quickly capitalise on the winners mentality of last season to maintain momentum. That to me means beat Celtic a couple times this year and go all out in a cup.

I agree we've not been very good this season. Despite that, we're second. Augers well. I'd expect Pallardo and Djoum to be our first choice midfield soon.

Hope so. Nothing against the other two but rate these guys much more than the other two.

Archived