What Can Football Learn From Football?

WSTR

Quite an interesting video. I agree with the salary cap, I think it's a good idea and will keep teams like Man City, Celtic etc. from buying all of the worlds best players OR it might reduce the wages they get payed so that they can still buy those players and be the best. Obviously every single league needs to adopt a salary cap for it to work though.

I also agree with the shared income, not sure how it really works though (do clubs get to keep their own ticket sales, merchandise sales etc) but it would make the leagues much fairer, and again it would stop Celtic, Man city etc. from buying up all the best talent. Well, maybe it wouldn't stop them, but if all the clubs have the same amount of money then it would be easier for smaller clubs to sign big named players, I guess.

I disagree with the idea of no promotion or relegation. That wouldn't work in Football. Each league should have a different salary cap to keep it sensible, i.e. the Premiership would have a salary cap 10x bigger than League 2 etc etc.

I agree with a draft that distributes the best young talent throughout all the teams, but wouldn't know how it would work in a footballing setup when the clubs have their own youth teams.

Shame none of it will ever happen though :lol:

I don't think you could have a salary cap in European football, but you could do what the NBA does and have a "luxury tax," which sets a figure similar to the salary cap, and teams that spend above that also have to pay a percentage of what they spend into a common pool.

American professional sports have the advantage of not having to develop their own players, relying on high school and college sports to do that.  But I think you could take money from something like a luxury tax (which would of course disproportionately hit the OF so won't happen) and put it into a fund that was only available for stadium development and youth academies.

As for promotion and relegation, it messes up some of the financial model but I'd say that since American fans found out about it most of us wish we had more of it.  The NFL might be the envy of the big leagues, but the strength of lower-tier football in the UK is remarkable, and I think promotion and relegation is huge when it comes to maintaining that.  For a country with a population not far off that of the EU, the US minor league baseball system is roughly comparable in size, number of teams, and number of tiers to Scotland's football setup.  I can only dream of what it would be like if my hometown team, the Durham Bulls, who've won the AAA division multiple times in the past 15 years, got promoted into a spot in the majors, and spent a season getting beat 10-1 but having teams like the Yankees and the Phillies come to town.

Why dont our colleges and Uni have sports scholerships for football? Why dont they set up facilities and something along those lines? Surely a rich football team could benifot from supporting a scheme as there could be alot of promising player who choose the education route over the sporting route because it is less risk of falling apart. Bit having the back up of eduction...

Archived