• Brian Clough
    • Bob Paisley
    • Jock Stein
    • Bill Shankly
    • Matt Busby
    • Stan Cullis
    • Herbert Chapman
    • Other

AF has spent more on players than any other manager ever in the UK. in the time period JM was at Chelsea AF spent more.

Since Ferguson's success is largely the reason Man Utd. have the money to spend it seems a bit unfair to diminish his acheivements on those grounds.

Carl Spackler

Ferguson has achieved great things in the modern game. It's hard to say if previous managers would have managed the same or not but look at the pressures on managers these days, media, players egos, ridiculous money, impatient chairmen. He plays them all and comes out on top.

He has built up sides several times and made them the best.

I'm too young to assess the other greats properly but I doubt I could be convinced that Ferguson is anything but number 1.

And you know this how?

Fergie's achievements with The Sheep are equally impressive when it comes to limited resources, not to mention his stint at St midden.

Because I know, do I need a reason? of course not - I also know that Fergie won no major silver at St. Mirren, and was sacked by East Fife, how do I know this? - Because I know!

Did well with Aberdeen when the OF were poor, but decided to move on when he thought Hearts were become a force in 1986, and how do I know this?

I don;t know what Fergie's achievements with the sheep are equal to though?

Since Ferguson's success is largely the reason Man Utd. have the money to spend it seems a bit unfair to diminish his acheivements on those grounds.

Not sure it is diminished, more of a perspective. In comparison to everyone else he has had greater resources.

Based on what I've read and heard I voted for Shankly.

He did it in the days before money ruled. He took Liverpool from div 2 to a long, long spell at the top of Europe (I've never supported Liverpool btw). Cloughy was a close 2nd with Sir Fergie probably 3rd.

Where is Tommy Walker????

The Jambo Janny

Fergie is arguably the most successful But i voted for shanks as the best because of his passion for the game and the way he motivated his players

Fergie for me. No Brainer. Yes I saw JS, BC and BP not in the same class. Firstly AF had 4 years without European football to contend with when he first took over at Man U due to England being banned from Europe due to the scousers.

He may well have spent a lot of money but what other top 4 manager has brought on so many top class kids from academy level to European greats. I give you Giggs, Beckham and Scholes how many other top 4 clubs have brought through valuable talent from their academy Fletcher, Butt, The Nevilles.

How many of these other managers has taken their success in one club in Europe on to another - mmmm none. Oh and remember he still has 3 years to go.

Mon the Fergie.

Herbert Chapman won the English league 3 times with Arsenal and then 3 times with Huddersfield Town (hardly one of the most glamour clubs in England).

I voted for Bob Paisley. A combination of relatively little spending power (sounds unlikely, but compared to other European clubs and even one or two UK clubs, even at that time, Liverpool weren't big spenders) and his domestic and European record seals it (until maybe SAF does better...).

BTW JF, hate to be pedantic but Herbert Chapman was at Huddersfield Town first, and then went to Arsenal. He won two titles at HTFC (they won a third on the bounce after he'd left for Highbury) and two at Arsenal.

Commander Harris
Gordon Brittas. :)

he could turn Hearts around, with Colin as assistant!

brittas02.jpg

Archived