The Future's Maroon

The Future's Maroon

Probably been done to death on here but cant be ersed looking!

Had said Stovies for tea tonight, first time in years....loved them, but, should it be Corned Beef or Sausages?!

Corned Beef for me....with little or no onions and the next question....

Broon or red sauce?!!

chester copperpot

Probably been done to death on here but cant be ersed looking!

Had said Stovies for tea tonight, first time in years....loved them, but, should it be Corned Beef or Sausages?!

Corned Beef for me....with little or no onions and the next question....

Broon or red sauce?!!

I made my mums stovies last week, and made it with sausages, potatos, onions, herbs and an oxo cube.

I reckon it depends on how yer mum did it, as when I posted the photo of my efforts to my sisters page, I had pals telling me it was stewed sausage and not stovies as stovies had corned beef in it.

Not this shite again. It's been established that stovies, as long as you are civilised, contain mashed potatoes, corned beef, and some onions.

The Future's Maroon

Not this shite again. It's been established that stovies, as long as you are civilised, contain mashed potatoes, corned beef, and some onions.

Apologies if I touched a nerve, as I said I expected it to have been done before...but its late, I had stovies earlier so brought up the subject! * and you never answered the red/broon question) ;-)

As for a previous comment by someone....yes that sounds more like stewed sausages!!

Bridge of Djoum

Stovies have to be done with Sausage.

Surely with corned beef it's corned beef hash?

I'll say what I always say on this discussion. Leftover Sunday roast is best, preferably lamb. 

Don't mind sausages though.

Going to try this with the lamb, have a roast leg of lamb on a Sunday quite regular and struggle to come up with something with the leftovers, cheers :thumbsup:

anybody saying corned beef is talkin pissh.

stovies is a peasants dish from hundred of years ago, nae tin openers, wee keys and a strip, infact nae tins, scrag end of meats was the order of the day. arguing between corned beef and sausage(has to be square/lorne) is irrelevant.

broon sauce always

fabienleclerq

Stovies are made with whatever is left surely? Is that not the point?

Last time I made it with leftovers from the bbq! Sausage, meat from the ribs and pulled pork, tatties fried onion and gravy.

Is corned beef, onion and tatties not hash?

luckyBatistuta

If I was served sausage & mash and decided to cut my sausages up and mix it up on my plate, has my dinner just transformed from sausage & mash to stovies. Same scenario with the corned beef. When does it become stovies, if it ever really is stovies?

Roast beef thinly sliced.

Potatoes left in big chunks.

Sweat onions down in tons of beef dripping and plenty of salt.

Add potatoes, cook for a while, add water, simmer until potatoes fall apart.

Add the beef, mix through, serve.

Anyone who makes stovies with meat that comes in a can, is probably the type of person who then eats stovies with their bare hands.

Left over beef from the Sunday roast is how my granny made them, with decent size bits of potato too. I don't really like my mashed potato being all mixed into things, so couldn't agree with making it that way.

Sausages, are we talking link or lorne?

Leftover roast (although there's not much left over in my house) or sausages. Corned beef is the devil's work.

Tatties are half small bits and half big. Onions cooked for ages. Broon sauce to finish and it's a winner.

This.  Corned beef, FFS.

And broon sauce.

First time the Mrs made it for me she put a layer of cheese on the plate before piling the stovies on top.  WTF?

That's like saying, if its with sausages, its "bangers and mash".

Different recipes depending how your mum/granny made.

As for the OP and red/brown sauce, WTF!!!!

That's like saying, if its with sausages, its "bangers and mash".

Different recipes depending how your mum/granny made.

As for the OP and red/brown sauce, WTF!!!!

Eh, naw.  Everybody knows that we're talking square sausage.

Don't they?

netherleejambo

Got to be left over roast - preferably lamb and chuck in any gravy that's left too. Loads of onions - about equal to the amount of potato which must be in wee chunks never mashed. If you didn't have a roast at the weekend when you are in Aldi getting your cheap Williams beer get a packet of Slow Cooked Minted Lamb Shoulder and chuck it in, does the trick. 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

You don't mash the tattie ffs :rofl:

It's sliced potato with diced onions and LINK sausage pieces, brown sauce optional.

Someone associated corned beef with being civilised. GTFO :laugh:

also

Tomato sauce?

:rofl:

Sausages in stovies is not stovies, it's bangers and mash.

Corned beef in stovies is not stovies, it's corned beef hash.

:wtf: are you people on?

Until I read this thread I had never heard of stories with lorne sausage! For me I prefer corned beef but links sausages are acceptable.

I use lamb mince mostly, couple of onions. Lard /dripping is a total must. You don't mash the potatoes, cut them in to two small and large chunks to get the texture you want. Skim the top of the stock from time to time during cooking. Season. You don't want too many ingredients

I P Knightley

Leftovers. Lamb or Beef.

If you're making it from scratch with stuff you're buying it becomes "Corned Beef Hash" or "Bangers & Mash".

If you've got leftover sausages, there's something wrong.

Red sauce for the under-12s only.

Brown sauce to accompany meat. however, if you're doing it right, your stovies have sufficient juice that they don't need sauce. Popping a wee snifter of Lea & Perrins in the pot is a nice touch.

EDIT: apologies to Cade - I used his line without having read it. First few posts into the thread - I felt I needed to make the point before lunacy crept in. I think I missed the bus on that one.

It is however you were brought up.  My mother made them with real beef dripping and corned beef.  As such that is the way I make them.

Haggis Stovies? Staple in the Diggers. 

Must say althiough tasted great they look like a bowl of lightly coloured dug shite. 

Archived