Was our pen against Partick soft?

Watt-Zeefuik

You could see it coming a mile off. There is absolutely no doubt that it was a penalty.

At the game, it looked like a stone wall penalty.

When I watched Sportscene I rewound it a few times and it looked like the Thistle player got the ball, or got very close.

I was hoping they would do a slow motion replay but they never.

Not saying it wasn't but the replay on TV did have me doubting it slightly.

I thought it was a stonewall penalty. However, the Thistle player wasn't too far away of timing his tackle well. 

Having just watched it again, pausing at the moment of contact, I can say there was millimetres in it and Callum was very clever, not just in making sure he got to the ball first, but in clipping it ever so slightly in the air to ensure the Thistle player missed the ball and got him.

It's not impossible that the ball did hit off Thistle player's leg as Callum chipped it over but the more you slow it down the more clear it is that it was the right decision.

We seem to winning a lot of penalties this year by driving at and past opponents inside the area, forcing them to do something., It's marvelous.

It was a penalty.  It would have been scandalous to have turned it down.

Our high-energy style encourages more tackles and fouls in the penalty area that referees will be unable to ignore.  The way we're carrying the ball into the penalty area, with speed, means that we'll get lots of penalties this year, and we'll also get lots of good claims turned down.  Whiners and losers like Hibs supporters will always find something to complain about when Hearts are succeeding, but that's their problem. 

But our penalty taking is predictable (soft and low every time).  We need to fix that.

Opposition players need to get fitter and quicker or they will keep conceding penalties to us. They just can't deal with our pace and determination at the moment. Definitely a pen

Watt-Zeefuik

Thanks for all the responses -- it was a genuine question and not an attempt to stir up trouble.

The Bannigan stood up and made a gesture to the referee that looked to me like he was claiming he'd gotten the ball.  But he gave that up pretty quickly and turned and walked off.

Bridge of Djoum

Looked pretty clear cut. Admittedly I wasn't at the game, but after watching Hambones highlights a few times, I'm pretty sure. 

Thanks for all the responses -- it was a genuine question and not an attempt to stir up trouble.

The Bannigan stood up and made a gesture to the referee that looked to me like he was claiming he'd gotten the ball.  But he gave that up pretty quickly and turned and walked off.

:qqb007:

Archived