Day out with kid and without car

adzjambo

the stone rose

Jump on train and go over the rail bridge and visit deep sea world.

not cheap i know.

Templeton Peck

Had a great day out to St Andrews on the train recently with my 4yo daughter. Train up to Leuchars and bus is 10 mins. Had a game of putting, walk along the beach, picnic and up to the ice cream shop. Theres also a wee park with a St Andrews museum behind the bus station.

Had a great day out to St Andrews on the train recently with my 4yo daughter. Train up to Leuchars and bus is 10 mins. Had a game of putting, walk along the beach, picnic and up to the ice cream shop. Theres also a wee park with a St Andrews museum behind the bus station.

Thanks, What was the price of the train ticket ?

Plenty of free stuff on with the festival.

www.freefestival.co.uk

Thanks for this, will have a browse

Jump on train and go over the rail bridge and visit deep sea world.

not cheap i know.

Good suggestion but went to Seaworld last year.

Auld Reekin'

Cramond and walk along foreshore, or out to Cramond Island if the tides are suitable.

If the wee one is into fire engines, try the Museum of Fire on Lauriston Place - they've got loads of old fire engines, gear etc that bairns can sit in and play about with.

Phone first though as their opening times are pretty irregular.

Camera Obscura up near the castle is pretty good.  Keeps the kids amused for a good 2 or 3 hours

Train out to North Berwick (Probably about ?8/?9 return from Edinburgh).

Climb Berwick Law (Fantastic views all the way up to Edinburgh & the Forth Bridge, The Fife coast line, Isle of May & the Bass Rock & almost all of East Lothian - free)

Walk through the park and see the aviaries & the the kids play park. Loads of space to kick a ball about etc. (free)

North Berwick Beach (Free)

Paddling pool (Free)

North Berwick Harbour  - see where they breed the Lobsters (free)

Scottish Seabird Centre (Adult ?8.95 - Child ?4.95)

Play golf putting on the front (not sure how much).

Boat trips round the Bass Rock (Adults ?14 - Child ?8)

Theres loads more to do. If you go down when "Fringe by the sea" is on its even busier. 

Loads of cafe's, child friendly (& adult friendly) pubs.

A Brilliant Chip shop

Ice cream

Great wee day out. Especially if the weather is nice. The train only takes about 30 mins from the Waverley.

Enjoy.

Camera Obscura up near the castle is pretty good.  Keeps the kids amused for a good 2 or 3 hours

I'm 23 and Camera Obscura would probably keep me amused for a good 2 or 3 hours :lol:

Looks good!

Cairneyhill Jambo

Either get the train to Dalmeny then walk down to South Queensferry, or get the bus then do the Forth boat trip which is less than half price just now on Groupon,

Great wee day out, especially if you visit Inchcolm island as well.  I did it last year and would thoroughly recommend it.

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/forth-boat-tours-3-9676572

Thanks for all the suggestions. Linlithgow & North Berwick it is.

Let us know how you get on.

childrens museum if its still on the high st

dynamic earth

inverleith, feed the ducks, shot on the swings then over to the botanics

Arthur seat

I've been off 3 weeks , back to work on Monday, and gubbed nearly every avenue in the first two weeks with the kids. Funds running dry!

When i tell them to go out with their pals they look at me funny! Been spoiled... Haha.

Dependant on age of kid, train to Burntisland. Swim, flumes and wave machine. Might still only be 1p during holidays. Then stuff their faces with bag of chips on walk back to train station.

Chris Benoit

Dependant on age of kid, train to Burntisland. Swim, flumes and wave machine. Might still only be 1p during holidays. Then stuff their faces with bag of chips on walk back to train station.

Yeah all the pools in Fife are free or at least cheap during the holidays and Burntisland is decent.

Archived