Seagulls

1874robbo

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Never knew that. I guess I thought they just ate worms an stuff. 

Same as the rest of the crow family they eat meat, mostly roadkill but the young of their own species are fair game if the parents leave the nest.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OBE

• DETTY29

• Smoked-Glass

• Tommy Brown

TyphoonJambo
28 minutes ago, rubyruby said:

I once gave them hot doritos but the greedy fecks ate them anyway

Worse than frigging students

I seen one eat a whole chicken leg in one go. Clean doon the thrapple bone and all. 
Greedy fecker! Could hardly take off after it swallowed it. 
Be like a human swallowing a whole turkey in one go!

No idea how they manage to get such huge amounts of food doon their gullets in comparison to their body size. 
Some poor buggers car must have got the brunt of that meal. 

Harry Potter
10 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I seen one eat a whole chicken leg in one go. Clean doon the thrapple bone and all. 
Greedy fecker! Could hardly take off after it swallowed it. 
Be like a human swallowing a whole turkey in one go!

No idea how they manage to get such huge amounts of food doon their gullets in comparison to their body size. 
Some poor buggers car must have got the brunt of that meal. 

Would never have one as a pet, would eat more than me.😏.

Dive bomb season usually fizzles out next month at least. Can go for a jog down the canal without the buggers swooping down like stukas.  

Tommy Brown
4 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Dive bomb season usually fizzles out next month at least. Can go for a jog down the canal without the buggers swooping down like stukas.  

Its a terrifying situation. Our factory roof at Broxburn was covered in nests.

I was literally hunched down between two cars whilst it swooped at at me. Eventually having to run for it. I was raging at our management as for too long it was just laughed off. 

The Wrinkly Ninja

*******s all year round but worse when there are fledglings, and worse still if you have a fledgling who has fallen from the nest or has left the nest but hasn’t flown and is wandering around on the ground. 

The parents will just go for you. Amusing to watch it happen to others - seen people try to punch them and throw fags at them. 

They make a really distinctive noise when attacking. If you hear it, duck, because the devious *******s will take you from behind. They same distress call will attract others too. Seen what seemed like hundreds of the ****ers going crackers after one was hit by a car.

HamishMcGonagall

When I was at school, at lunchtime, we used to throw chips onto the road in front of oncoming buses in the hope that the seagulls would swoop down for the chips and get hit.

2 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Anyone know a poison you can lay down that they like eating? 

Perhaps a lump of bread soaked in bleach or the suggestion in an earlier post of bread with a sulphur centre.

Smoked-Glass
14 minutes ago, Jumper said:

There are some cruel people in here. 😇

I'd like to line up 20 seagulls and do the following. 

1.  Kick 

2. Wring neck

3. Drop a stone on it

4. Tazer

5. Flame thrower 

6. Set dog on it

7. Gun

8. Car door job

9. Drown

10.  Pull legs off

11. Anal sword 

12. Pour acid

13. Run over

14. Vice 

15. Disembowl

16. Hot water

17. Throw in a crocodiles mouth 

18. Microwave 

19.  Tumble dryer 

20.  Bury

Did I mention I hate them? 

54 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I was literally hunched down between two cars whilst it swooped at at me. Eventually having to run for it. I was raging at our management as for too long it was just laughed off. 

It's the ones you don't see coming down that squawk loud in your ear from nowhere I like least. Had that last week just going to a shop. Bleeder gave me a start.  

13 hours ago, rubyruby said:

I once gave them hot doritos but the greedy fecks ate them anyway

There's a food that you can use on seagulls with the result that they explode, I kid you not, on swallowing said food. 

This method of control is best utilised when they are in flight and a good horizontal 20M away from the person throwing the food item.

We went to Nairn last year and the daft B&B owner has taken one in as a pet for the last 8 years.

The Wrinkly Ninja
28 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

There's a food that you can use on seagulls with the result that they explode, I kid you not, on swallowing said food. 

This method of control is best utilised when they are in flight and a good horizontal 20M away from the person throwing the food item.

I think the exploding bird thing is a bit of an urban myth based on a belief that they can’t pass wind.

Even if the couldn’t pass wind if bicarb of soda was causing them any discomfort they would just regurgitate it.

Smoked-Glass
3 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

I think the exploding bird thing is a bit of an urban myth based on a belief that they can’t pass wind.

Even if the couldn’t pass wind if bicarb of soda was causing them any discomfort they would just regurgitate it.

So how do we kill them 

A licenced Webley Hawk .22 air rifle, telescopic sights with silencer, allegedly. Council contractor swears by it...

One of the regulars opposite my house was in a right mood when I left this morning. Trying to dive bomb anyone that had the temerity of walking into it's area. Very funny until it decided my bike helmet was a much better target of it's fury. I don't think I've cycled the first couple of hundred yards from my gate so fast. 

scottishguy
On 15/07/2021 at 18:47, Tommy Brown said:

They prey on small garden birds.

Hence, I have no sparrows, tits, finches, blackies and starlings at all.

All regular visitors in the 20 years ive lived here.

We have magpies in our garden everyday, as well as another 25 species. They have no effect on the other small birds.

I do spend a few £££s on bird feed every year, they seem content to share.

Greedy Jambo

I hate seagulls, kill the lot of them i say. 

I'm all for saving birds and planet etc, but the wifey next door does my nut in with the bird food. shit all over the windows, shit all over the cars. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

WoolfordsHearts
11 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Screenshot_20210716-215204_Gallery.jpg

11 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

1.  Kick 

2. Wring neck

3. Drop a stone on it

4. Tazer

5. Flame thrower 

6. Set dog on it

7. Gun

8. Car door job

9. Drown

10.  Pull legs off

11. Anal sword 

12. Pour acid

13. Run over

14. Vice 

15. Disembowl

16. Hot water

18. Microwave 

19.  Tumble dryer 

20.  Bury

Tumble dryer 🤣. Tempted .

21 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

1.  Kick 

2. Wring neck

3. Drop a stone on it

4. Tazer

5. Flame thrower 

6. Set dog on it

7. Gun

8. Car door job

9. Drown

10.  Pull legs off

11. Anal sword 

12. Pour acid

13. Run over

14. Vice 

15. Disembowl

16. Hot water

18. Microwave 

19.  Tumble dryer 

20.  Bury

No 11 doesn't sound too comfortable, I'd replace it with a sword I can hold in my hand.

13 hours ago, Morgan said:

These b@stards eat each other.

Alive.

Yep indeed they do. I saw one on Albert Street that had been hit by a car and his mates had started eating him before he’d even had time to die. 

Салатные палочки

There should be a cull on these *******s. Maybe some poisoned food laid out. At Ayr beach park and seen about five families picnics ruined by them. We've had to hide the wee ones lunch under a blanket. First one to go near her is getting volleyed square on the beak. 

luckyBatistuta
On 16/07/2021 at 10:38, Smoked-Glass said:

1.  Kick 

2. Wring neck

3. Drop a stone on it

4. Tazer

5. Flame thrower 

6. Set dog on it

7. Gun

8. Car door job

9. Drown

10.  Pull legs off

11. Anal sword 

12. Pour acid

13. Run over

14. Vice 

15. Disembowl

16. Hot water

18. Microwave 

19.  Tumble dryer 

20.  Bury

Think you should be renamed ‘Tempered-Glass’

• 2 weeks later...
John Gentleman
On 27/07/2015 at 03:33, RobNox said:

We need to invest in a golden eagle or something similar.  Train it to circle over the stadium during matches.  We'd soon see how hard those seagulls really are!

What you really need is a long skein of Australian bin chickens. They'll out-compete the gulls in no time.....

Planet Earth | Australian Bin Chicken

highlandjambo3

My back garden yesterday…….heard a screech and a sparrow hawk had grabbed a bird on the ground….it was standing on top of it all game.  Not a great picture and, after a couple of minutes feeling sorry for the screeching bird I thought, nah it’s all ok, that’s what’s supposed to happen.  My neighbours say it’s here quite often as it has a food source with us and out half dozen bird feeders.

0A0D5134-E266-4C32-8213-3CDEA4022F35.jpeg

11 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

My back garden yesterday…….heard a screech and a sparrow hawk had grabbed a bird on the ground….it was standing on top of it all game.  Not a great picture and, after a couple of minutes feeling sorry for the screeching bird I thought, nah it’s all ok, that’s what’s supposed to happen.  My neighbours say it’s here quite often as it has a food source with us and out half dozen bird feeders.

Had a sparrowhawk in our garden get hold of a blackbird, it even flew off with it when we disturbed it, I just wish the pinemarten would sort out the neighbours cats now.

12 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Much do you want for the Hawk? 

Me, versus the Gulls at the moment is redic in my favour (not proud). Having a bonnie raptor like that strutting it's stuff along mine and my neighbours roof verges would be the perfect solution...save me a tonne-o-lead...:rifle:

indianajones
On 16/07/2021 at 11:29, DETTY29 said:

We went to Nairn last year and the daft B&B owner has taken one in as a pet for the last 8 years.

FFS.

An apex predator that eats anything, protected by law (as all wild birds are),  and a plentiful food supply (otherwise they wouldn’t be here). Looks like we are stuck with them 😩

• 2 weeks later...
Салатные палочки

Was down the town this morning and witnessed one eating a dead pigeon outside Subway. It got sick of being disturbed by pedestrians so just flew away with the thing in its beak. Feathers everywhere. Grim. 

:muggy:

• 10 months later...
Smoked-Glass
On 16/07/2021 at 10:38, Smoked-Glass said:

1.  Kick 

2. Wring neck

3. Drop a stone on it

4. Tazer

5. Flame thrower 

6. Set dog on it

7. Gun

8. Car door job

9. Drown

10.  Pull legs off

11. Anal sword 

12. Pour acid

13. Run over

14. Vice 

15. Disembowl

16. Hot water

18. Microwave 

19.  Tumble dryer 

20.  Bury

This needs done this year too

The population of gulls here in the Forest of Bowland will be at 100,000 in the next 3 to 5 years, the ecological damage has to be seen to be believed, the loss of ground nesting waders by the gulls predating chicks is beyound a joke now.

Jambo_jim2001
On 16/07/2021 at 09:51, Tommy Brown said:

I used  an umbrella at one place I worked,you could hear them pecking at it when I was walking up the forecourt 😳 management got some guy in with a hawk to scare them away. I don't think he's found the hawk to this day,last we seen of it there must have been at least fifty of them chasing it🤣🤣. I still love the popping noise they make when I drive over them,beats bubble wrap😎😎

Edited by Jambo_jim2001

One of the evil *******s next to my works has taken to eating pigeons. As they don’t have the beak or talons for the job it takes it a long time to get them to an edible state. 

Tommy Brown
6 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

I used  an umbrella at one place I worked,you could hear them pecking at it when I was walking up the forecourt 😳 management got some guy in with a hawk to scare them away. I don't think he's found the hawk to this day,last we seen of it there must have been at least fifty of them chasing it🤣🤣. I still love the popping noise they make when I drive over them,beats bubble wrap😎😎

Driving to work yesterday and two were pecking away at a dead rabbit on the road.

As I got nearer (10 yards), one flew, the other didn't.

More bothered about car damage  I swerved to avoid it. It seen me, I was seething. 

What chance have we got if this moronic behavior exists? This daft bint had a shopping trolley full of stale bread. This happens on a regular basis a passer-bye said. Shorthope St, Mussy...:phface: 

Gulls.jpg

Edited by OBE

Jeffros Furios

Better news in that one of the swans in Craiglockhart pond savaged a gull to death .

I think the Swan man be a bit of a radge ..proper Swan Jihad .

These things don't roost on cliff-tops any more (North Berwick, Dunbar) they just hunker down in the harbour, thousands of the dicks...

Harbour Gulls.jpg

SectionDJambo

There's a couple of seagulls who are clearly protecting a nest around the corner from me in Newtongrange. I've walked past the house twice recently, to have one of them squawking and flying in circles around me.

Yesterday, I saw the same seagull swoop down very close to a family walking past. It's just a matter of time before someone gets attacked by it. There's a lot of them out here. Back in the day, we only saw them on stormy days, when they tended to come inland.

It would be a massive help, of course, if people didn't drop food on the street instead of putting it in bins or taking it home. My next door neighbour actually had their small children out feeding them bread last year. By hand.

Madness, putting them at risk of losing fingers.