Where next?

Randle P McMurphy

Randle P McMurphy

Short European city break? I have done London, Dublin, Barcelona, Prague, Berlin, Budapest, Malaga that I can remember and had a great time in all. Tell me where I should go next and why

Fitzroy Pointon

I went to belfast last year for my birthday. Cheap flights and got a reasonable deal on a city centre hotel. Great range of pubs, restaurants and shopping. The city bus tour is probably the best one I have been on, well worth the ticket price. Apparently the titanic experience is pricy but worth the money, but i opted to go to crumlin road prison and courthouse instead and that was very interesting and eerie, knowing the people who have passed through there, including the shankhill butchers.

Lovely city, really enjoyed it.

Randle P McMurphy

I went to belfast last year for my birthday. Cheap flights and got a reasonable deal on a city centre hotel. Great range of pubs, restaurants and shopping. The city bus tour is probably the best one I have been on, well worth the ticket price. Apparently the titanic experience is pricy but worth the money, but i opted to go to crumlin road prison and courthouse instead and that was very interesting and eerie, knowing the people who have passed through there, including the shankhill butchers.

Lovely city, really enjoyed it.

Good shout, hadn't even considered it

I've done Dublin Galway Belfast Prague Kaunas Krakow Wroclaw Poznan Berlin Munich and Budapest off the top off my head.

Berlin was the best by some distance.

The Polish cities are great. Cheap drink and the women are fantastic. 

I'm off to Hamburg next week.

Randle P McMurphy

Flying to Amsterdam on Tuesday, tried that?

No I haven't. Kind of unsure on the dam, not sure why

Randle P McMurphy

I've done Dublin Galway Belfast Prague Kaunas Krakow Wroclaw Poznan Berlin Munich and Budapest off the top off my head.

Berlin was the best by some distance.

The Polish cities are great. Cheap drink and the women are fantastic.

I'm off to Hamburg next week.

Agreed Berlin is my favourite so far, followed by Barcelona and Budapest

Randle P McMurphy

l

Apparently any city beginning with B

Short European city break? I have done London, Dublin, Barcelona, Prague, Berlin, Budapest, Malaga that I can remember and had a great time in all. Tell me where I should go next and why

Krak?w has to be done at some stage. Great for foodies. Cheap for drinking. Plenty history and architecture. Flat walking. Big town square. Auswitch birkenau nearby ( book in advance and go with a guide), which everyone should visit. Salt caves. Probably the best city break I have ever been on, especially if you can go midweek and avoid the stag stuff. Although the polis there are right on top of anything that looks like getting out of hand.

Randle P McMurphy

Krak?w has to be done at some stage. Great for foodies. Cheap for drinking. Plenty history and architecture. Flat walking. Big town square. Auswitch birkenau nearby ( book in advance and go with a guide), which everyone should visit. Salt caves. Probably the best city break I have ever been on, especially if you can go midweek and avoid the stag stuff. Although the polis there are right on top of anything that looks like getting out of hand.

You've made a good case, that's top of the list now

You've made a good case, that's top of the list now

Krakow is fantastic but I thought the salt mines were rubbish. Just not my thing.

I still get slagged about my moaning on that visit.  :laugh:

Great city but quite a lot of stag parties visit.

Randle P McMurphy

Krakow is fantastic but I thought the salt mines were rubbish. Just not my thing.

I still get slagged about my moaning on that visit. :laugh:

Great city but quite a lot of stag parties visit.

Ach, its obvious you are just a moaning git

Ach, its obvious you are just a moaning git

Spot on.  :laugh:

Wroclaw and Poznan were better imo.

Krakow still great though. As is all Poland.

Randle P McMurphy

Spot on. :laugh:

Why were they better?

Spot on. :laugh:

I was in warsaw a few months ago, didnt do much sightseeing mind but the booze and food are nice and cheap, police are a bit dodgy though.

Samuel Camazzola

Copenhagen. Look at Norwegian Air for Edinburgh flights. They also do many Scandanavian destinations.

Randle P McMurphy

I quite fancied Copenhagen but nobody has mentioned it

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reykjavik - not as pricey as it was and direct flights from Edinburgh. Friday and Saturday nights are quite something (after midnight). Good looking bursds - and geysers too!

Samuel Camazzola

Riga is recommended too.

Not been myself, but fancied Helsinki as you can also take a short ferry over to Tallinn.

Regarding Copenhagen, the bridge crossing takes you to Malmo.

Well my favourites are all M's - Madrid, Munich and Malmo (& Copenhagen)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Samuel Camazzola

Well my favourites are all M's - Madrid, Munich and Malmo (& Copenhagen)

Maribor?... :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fitzroy Pointon

I'm amazed Paisley hasn't had a mention. It's the best Still Game themed town in the world.

Im off there today for the pipe band competition. Ill give a review on my return. If I return.

Stockholm. Belter of a city, direct flights from Edinburgh, More expensive than others, so save up a bit before you go. Check out https://www.visitstockholm.com/

Good shout. Gothenburg is also great for a weekend. I think I prefer Madrid to them both though. The tapas bars are complete winners! I've never been to either but really fancy Reykjavic and Copenhagen.

August Landmesser

Valencia, good beer, great tapas, a beautiful medieval centre and some cracking modern architecture in a park created from the drained and diverted river.

Valencia, good beer, great tapas, a beautiful medieval centre and some cracking modern architecture in a park created from the drained and diverted river.

Went to Valencia on a cruise. It looked brilliant.

What is the easiest way to get there from Edinburgh?

Clearly you are gearing up for a weekend in Birmingham.

I'll second Valencia actually. Brilliant place, and if I'm not mistaken La Tomatina kicks off down there next month, perhaps the OP could link it in.

Will be warm. Very warm.

Vilnius is a nice wee city for a relaxed weekend. It's cheap, has a well preserved old town for wandering in, nice bars, good food pretty much everywhere, friendly locals (well the younger ones, every older Lithuanian I've met has been a sour faced arse!), a handful of interesting museums and there's a beautiful castle on a lake a short bus ride from the city too. It's not the most exciting city in the world but it's got more than enough for a couple of days - probably worth doing in a combined trip with Riga. They're only a few hours apart by bus. 

Krakow is great shout from those that mentioned it but another great Polish city that's often overlooked is Gdansk. It's got all the usual stuff - old town, bars, lovely architecture, parks, food, drink etc - but if you're into history it's also a short boat trip away from the Westerplatte peninsula where the first shots of WW2 were fired and is home to the Solidarity union movement and has a great museum on that, Lech Walesa and the fall of communism in Poland. The wee seaside town of Sopot is just up the coast as well which is great for a day at the beach! 

August Landmesser

Went to Valencia on a cruise. It looked brilliant.

What is the easiest way to get there from Edinburgh?

I went from Cork when I was living there a few years ago, but there don't seem to be flights from Scotland. Looks like Manchester is the closest airport for a direct flight, which is a feck. I guess you could fly Edinburgh to somewhere in Spain and get a train - I think Spanish trains are alright.

I went from Cork when I was living there a few years ago, but there don't seem to be flights from Scotland. Looks like Manchester is the closest airport for a direct flight, which is a feck. I guess you could fly Edinburgh to somewhere in Spain and get a train - I think Spanish trains are alright.

Thanks for replying.

I have looked at getting there from Edinburgh, but couldn't work out the best way.

Spanish trains are decent. I went from Algeciras to Madrid last year on a slow train and it was good. They show movies in the corner on an old telly and give you free earphones so you can hear it.

They have fast trains like the tgv in France, but they don't like corners much http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2377113/Spain-train-crash-video-At-78-people-killed-140-injured-Santiago-Compostela-derailment.html

Cardiff?

Love Cardiff and hopefully going back down soon

Doing on a wee 8 day trip to Germany in September

Cologne-Dortmund-Frankfurt

Staff rates  :)

I know it is a bit obvious but Paris really is one of the best cities in the world.

Was going to say Paris. Love the place.

Actually, you didn't say when. If it's now or anytime in summer I'd steer clear of Madrid. If you going in January I'd avoid anywhere in the Baltic's

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Another vote for Krakow.

I was there last month (went Monday-Friday) and it was great.  Plenty to do with cheap beer and food.  Auschwitz-Birkenau tour is an absolute must, was a real eye opener but absolutely fascinating.  We did that in a day trip along with the Wieliczka salt mine and that was pretty interesting as well.

We had initially planned on going to Berlin but flights were quite expensive when we looked and sort of stumbled upon Krakow.  Glad we did.

Archived